Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 98105 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 7 first glance
« Reply #1610 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
And I'll bet I'm somewhere in the middle.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1611 on: September 24, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
Holy shit, this last listen is really changing my impression of some of these songs as I look for the words to put into the writeup.  Some by just one spot over (or under) another song, but a couple that moved a few spots.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
Bolsters: Burnclear / Rattle the Cage
No complaints here.  I wouldn't call it "solid"… it was much better than that, although there nothing that jumped out to REALLY :omg: me.  Almost every other song of the round - whether it was just for 30 seconds or a minute, or almost the whole damn song - had something that at some level turned me off (even in the tiniest way).  Not here.  Strong, hard and rockin song…. start to finish.  Vocally, I hear some similarities to Mike Anderssen, and that’s (almost) always gonna be a good thing.  Here's hoping this is another Finnish find like Anthriel
Ranking: 1

Puppies_On_Acid: Anubis Gate / The End of Millennium Road
The mellow instrumental section in the middle drags the song down, taking away all the momentum it had going.  Otherwise, it’s fantastic song… nice rich tones, soaring vocals, catchy hooks.  Great prog-metal.  Probably would've taken the top spot if the part from 4:30-6:30 was whacked.  See, you do have something in your library that hits the mark.  A near bullseye here.
Ranking: 2

Indiscipline: Nikolo Kotzev's Nostradamus / Inquisition
Jorn vs JLT is virtually guaranteed success.  Overall, the tune had a HUGE Brazen Abbott feel (enlighten me on the connection, because his website and YT vids make some kind of reference to BA).  Smooth, melodic, almost heavy, well constructed, well performed... the symphonic elements were way too cheesy and fluffy, but otherwise, it was an excellent track.  And in calling out the other vocalists in this project (you had me at Sass Jordan), this is a guaranteed "purchase" - because the fucking thing isn't on Spotify, nor on iTunes.
Ranking: 3.1

Stadler: The Allman Brothers / Nobody Knows
Instrumentally, this was absolutely captivating.  I always found Jessica to be a pleasant but uneventful instrumental track.  I didn't dive into much blues-rock (Zeppelin and Thorogood notwithstanding), and now I'm thinking I should've.  Sign of a great 10+ minute song... it didn't feel like a 10 minute song.  You get the jj treatment here though ... wish I'd checked more of the Allman Bros out back then, because I have a feeling that it'll be hit-and-miss with me, and I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to sort thru all the misses to find the hits.  Convince me otherwise!
Ranking: 3.2

Lowdz: Heir Apparent / Crossing the Border
Methinks they were a little aggressive on their belief they were the "heir apparent" to Queensryche. Holy shit, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then what is being a copycat?  Loved this as much as I love  QR's EP and The Warning.  But, I prefer the more 'polished' sound of QR, not the raw and uncut version that this is clearly mimicking.  I know it's from 1989, and the production quality doesn't hurt this much, I just prefer a more polished sound.  To that end, they released something earlier this year??  Any good?
Ranking: 4.1

jjrocks: Sword / F.T.W.
See pretty much every other writeup for jj's submission.  Raw and uncut, just like Paul's submission … but much more meat-and-potatoes, just pure brute metal.  Slight edge to the more refined writing and performance that Heir Apparent give.
Ranking: 4.2

wolfking: Megadeth / Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight
Musically, this kicked all kinds of ass.  Mustaine was ok, but certainly not the highlight of the song.  You're finding that groove in your submissions where the songs are just cracking the top-tier, but falling just short of truly wow'g me.  Your tunes are out-performing most of the competition, but just not quite able to get over the hump to really tickle my pickle.  Megadeth was indeed a 'how did I miss them?' submission, but you've already cashed in that chip.  Methinks they'll fall into the same category as Savatage for me - awesome musically, but the vocals don't quite make the whole packages awesome.
Ranking: 4.3

Evermind: Above Symmetry / Ripples
You had cause to be worried I guess. I can't really say why, but this didn't float my boat. Not sure I can articulate why, because I really don't know myself. It had all the right elements, and it should've been more enjoyable than it was, but something was amiss... at first. Then, right around the 4th or 5th listen, when I REALLY had a chance to listen, it clicked ... at least a little bit.  Jumped up quite a few spots even from earlier this morning, as this was at first slotted for the bottom 1/3rd.  It still feels a little choppy and disconnected, but there was more here that worked as opposed to what didn't work
Ranking: 5

Train Of Naught: Muse / New Born
Another fun-as-shit submission that is just outside my wheelhouse, but a rather enjoyable listen none-the-less.  Not a style I'd go to - It's like RHCP (who I hated) meets No Doubt (who I love - for at least one album).  Naturally, I hear the similarities with a couple of traditional metal / prog songs that I love, Prophets of War and Mask Machine.  This one wasn't nearly as good as those two (yes, I actually REALLY like PoW), but it's certainly easy to hear the influence Muse has had - at least in those two cases.  I might check out a few other songs or an album if anyone wants to give me a recc'n.  And, enjoy the 2 point improvement for submitting a 'how did I miss them?' artist. 
Ranking: 6 (+2)

Kattleox: maybeshewill / Red Paper Lanterns
Well, if Train hadn't out'd the band as a "post" genre, I probably wouldn't have known.  Pretty decent, middle-of-the-road instrumental (just like Jessica since I made that reference already).  Liked it plenty, and it had great atmosphere, but nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention to impress me too much.  You're spot on, it's got the 'right amount of melody' in that I enjoyed it, but that's about all. I also enjoy grilled cheese, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be a favorite I consistently return to.  It deserves a higher ranking, but I just can't do it. This is about a 7.5 on a 10 point scale, but just falls a bit short compared to the other songs this round.  It's a keeper, but just barely - and that's meant as a compliment, not a slight.
Ranking: 7

Kingshmegland: Flor De Loto / Regression
You can hear the Italian in Fabio's voice right from the very first note, and it never goes away. Certainly not his best vocal performance, and I'm not sure I could get used to him singing a non-Power Metal style of song.  After repeated listens, it (his obvious accent and phrasings) got pretty stale.  Musically it was very VERY good (except for the mildly 'plodding' aspect of the verses).  While Evermind's got better with every listen, this sadly was the opposite, and just lost most of the original appeal it had on the first couple of listens. 
Ranking: 8.1

Lethean: Mindflow / Destructive Device
Well, you proved my theory wrong that any band with "mind" in it's name is excellent music.  This  should've appealed more than it did, and it's hard to say why it didn't.  Maybe with a few more spins it will/would click (like Evermind's did), but so far, not so much.
Ranking: 8.2

TAC: Circadian Pulse / Elements of Existence
Wasn't bad at all, just sounded amateurish - like this was the band's first time ever writing music together in their parents' basement.  Sure, they're talented, but it sounded all over the place with very little cohesion or consistency.  The repetitiveness of the musical melody in the verses was grating; solo was good, though uninteresting; vocally it wasn't anything special.  There's potential there, but (to steal a line from a good friend of mine) potential in one hand and shit in the other - see which fills up faster.  Sorry pal... seems you're pulling the reverse of what you did in Rich's roulette - starting out gangbusters here, but fizzling out with a whimper - just like jingle.sexytime.
Ranking: 9

lonestar: BABYMETAL / Tales of the Destinies
What the fuq did I just listen to??  You suggested they out-DT Dream Theater themselves? While that might be the case, it's not to good DT.  It's like they're trying to out do A Nightmare to Remember.  This fired on no cylinders for me.  It was catchy, and got its hooks into me at times, but kind of like the way you get a sliver in your foot, and just can't get that fucker out; every step hurts, and then your skin grows over it and you just gotta bear thru it until your body absorbs it and the pain goes away.  This was a hard 10 my good friend.  :sadpanda:
Ranking: 10

Evermind*: 4+3+1+3+7+2+5=25
Bolsters: 5+4+5+1+4+6+1=26
wolfking*: 2+4+6+5+3+3+4=27
jjrocks88**: 4+2+4+6+6+4+4=30
Lowdz: 6+1+8+6+4+4+4=33
Kattoelox: 1+7+4+4+6+6+7=35
lonestar*: 2+5+5+2+7+5+10=36
Indiscipline**: 6+7+6+8+7+1+3=38
Lethean*: 4+8+4+4+8+2+8=38
TAC: 2+5+5+3+5+9+9=38
kingshmegland: 4+9+1+8+1+9+8=40
Stadler: 7+6+7+9+2+8+3=42
Train of Naught**: 9+10+7+7+4+7+4=48
Puppies_On_Acid: 8+8+3+10+10+10+2=51

* - 1 point improvement
** - 2 point improvement

It would seem that victory is between the top 3 by the looks of things, with jj holding an outside chance for an upset come-back.  RJ pulled a TAC; TAC also pulled a TAC :lol.  Lowdz's ascent up the leaderboard may be too little/too late to recover from the Day Six debacle.  Puppies pulls off a massive combo breaker, and King finally shows some consistency - surely not the kind he wanted though.

To jj and Train who already submitted, feel free to revise if you so desire.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 7 Results v.let the bitching begin
« Reply #1613 on: September 24, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
That's pretty much what I expected. I took a risk there. Will send tonight!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: September 24, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
Phew! You had me really worried there for a few hours. I get it... the album took its sweet time to actually click on me. I feel this is one of the songs that were great from the first few listens then. When I heard that chorus I was hooked. Still, glad for that jump, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been in the lead right now.

Also I was pretty sure Anubis Gate was banned, didn't even check the banned list for them. :lol

It comes down to the last round then! You'll get my song in 24 hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1615 on: September 24, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
Totally worth it. :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1616 on: September 24, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
I have never and will probably never hear any RHCP influence in Muse's music :lol but maybe that's just me. I can kiiiinda see the PoW connection but also barely, anyway glad it didn't completely tank! :metal

You have my next song already, enjoy the growlies! (not taking the piss, honestly think it is somewhat of a tactical risk that could potentially connect with you musically)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1617 on: September 24, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
AND HOW IN THE FUCK WAS ANUBIS GATE NOT BANNED!?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously dude, wtf?

Ok, so time to make my roulette suicide complete...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1618 on: September 24, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »
Storming up to 5th position 😀
I gave up trying to send you prog metal after Day Six. You know the genre better than me so I was wasting my time and points.

Now do I send a song where Chad has sampled them and doesn’t like the singer, or go with the instrumental I’ve been holding onto since the start? Or something different altogether?

Problems problems. Oh no, Marillion are banned 😀

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1619 on: September 24, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »
And sent....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
I'm give Chad an 11 on this round for calling a Peruvian band Italian. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: September 24, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Oh shit this really is the last round isn't it?

Okay, I'm sending something completely fucking off the walls if I can find something that works.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1622 on: September 24, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
Indiscipline: Nikolo Kotzev's Nostradamus / Inquisition
Jorn vs JLT is virtually guaranteed success.  Overall, the tune had a HUGE Brazen Abbott feel (enlighten me on the connection, because his website and YT vids make some kind of reference to BA).  Smooth, melodic, almost heavy, well constructed, well performed... the symphonic elements were way too cheesy and fluffy, but otherwise, it was an excellent track.  And in calling out the other vocalists in this project (you had me at Sass Jordan), this is a guaranteed "purchase" - because the fucking thing isn't on Spotify, nor on iTunes.
Ranking: 3.1

Well, Nikolo Kotzev kinda is Brazen Abbot.

Sending ASAP.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »

The band may be Peruvian, but Fabio Lione is Italian mofo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: September 24, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
Well, Nikolo Kotzev kinda is Brazen Abbot.

Well... that'd do it.

Oh shit this really is the last round isn't it?

Yes, it is the last round.  Time to take all you bitches out to the woodshed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: September 24, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
That statement combined with that avatar have me sweating bullets.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: September 24, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »

Yeah he sang the one song mofo  lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1627 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
SENT.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: September 24, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Sent something probably only Stadler will appreciate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1629 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »
Sent something probably only Stadler will appreciate.

So did Stadler.    :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1630 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
Damn, Nostradamus was on my list from your first roulette 😱
The big problem was that the cd is in deep storage in the attic and I couldn’t be arsed to go find it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1631 on: September 24, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »
Those scores just prove that J Boy has completely taken the rest of this roulette off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: September 24, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »

Yeah he sang the one song mofo  lol.

THE SONG YOU FUCKING SUBMITTED!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: September 24, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Well I though if I sent a Spanish version you'd hack it up more. Lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: September 24, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Well I though if I sent a Spanish version you'd hack it up more. Lol

You're probably right.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1635 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Sent a great song! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: September 24, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and predict 6th place for me even though I deserve at least 3rd. I will make note of this.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: September 24, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and predict 6th place for me even though I deserve at least 3rd. I will make note of this.  :lol

If you deserve 3rd here, then I deserved the fuckin trophy on yours!  I demand the opportunity for redemption once you're settled into your new work routine.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: September 24, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »

If you deserve 3rd here, then I deserved the fuckin trophy on yours!  I demand the opportunity for redemption once you're settled into your new work routine.

You're gonna have to EARN that fucking trophy, Pyle! Gonna make you sweat  :corn

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1639 on: September 24, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Sent and ending credits ballad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1640 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »
Hoping my submission makes up for Babymetal (Babymetal still rocks man), I can't imagine how some of the best guitar work in prog can't.

I'm not gonna win, don't care either, but I am pleased to send you a true masterpiece. Enjoy!!!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1641 on: September 24, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
Sent something I wouldn't have sent if I was in the running for one of the top spots. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
Sent something I wouldn't have sent if I was in the running for one of the top spots. :)

Totally fair... I've done that many times myself - hopefully it's still something you think might appeal to me though.   :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1643 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »

Totally fair... I've done that many times myself - hopefully it's still something you think might appeal to me though.   :)

Emphasis on MANY. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »
Sent.  Suck it Belcher.

Also, hugs coming in a week.