Author Topic: DT playlist for a long car ride...  (Read 1965 times)

Offline lilces19

DT playlist for a long car ride...
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
24 songs, 4hr 34 min

1. Metropolis, I: The Miracle and the Sleeper
2. The Mirror
3. The Glass Prison
4. Peruvian Skies
5. In the Presence of Enemies, Pt I
6. A Nightmare to Remember
7. In the Presence of Enemies, Pt II
8. The Spirit Carries On
9. As I Am
10. Breaking All Illusions
11. Trial of Tears
12. Solitary Shell
13. Learning to Live
14. Octavarium
15. Bridges in the Sky
16. Scarred
17. The Count of Tuscany
18. Fatal Tragedy
19. Hell's Kitchen
20. Lines in the Sand
21. Home
22. The Dance of Eternity
23. Under a Glass Moon
24. A Change of Seasons

Input always welcome! Now play it loud!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:39:16 PM by lilces19 »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: DT playlist for a long car ride...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »
Awesome playlist.   :tup  However, I would add the entire SDOIT (title song).  If your car ride is long enough.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
I would definitely not listen to more than an album’s worth of Dream Theater in one car ride. Add some other music as variety man!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
The Astonishing is perfect for long journeys (as long as you haven't heard it too many times already)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
The Astonishing is perfect for long journeys (as long as you haven't heard it too many times already)

This!  I've done it several times for long trips and it works great.  Really gives you a much better appreciation for how good an album TA is.

Offline lilces19

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
Awesome playlist.   :tup  However, I would add the entire SDOIT (title song).  If your car ride is long enough.  :lol

Thanks man! I really debated between Solitary Shell and the live version of Hollow Years (from Budokan album) with that extended intro and killer JP solo.... might still make the change

Offline lilces19

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
I would definitely not listen to more than an album’s worth of Dream Theater in one car ride. Add some other music as variety man!

Trust me, I do listen to all types of stuff but with all the snippets of their new album I have been revisiting a lot DT’s music recently

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
Between 2010-2011 I made several 9 hour car rides (add time for gas, stretching etc.). On a few of the trips both to and from my destination, I chose to listen to a few choice discographies, or as many as I could get done with my CD collection (no modern stereo in the car). One of them was DT. At the time it was up to BC&SL, and I skipped WDADU 'cause screw that album. I remember being exhausted by the time it ended. I don't know how many solos that is, but I didn't listen to DT for like a month after that  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 01:06:26 AM »
Some weird transitions between the songs (As I Am into Trial of Tears for example), but Dance of Eternity ending into Under a Glass Moon should be pretty cool to hear!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lilces19

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
Some weird transitions between the songs (As I Am into Trial of Tears for example), but Dance of Eternity ending into Under a Glass Moon should be pretty cool to hear!

How about As I Am into Breaking All Illusions into Trial of Tears?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
Trying to imagine that... it would be cool I guess! I remember I had once As I Am seguing into The Ministry of the Lost Souls and going straight from the "noise" of the former suddenly into the majestic opening of the latter was bombastic.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »
My only input would be to dump ITPOE and put in stuff from the last two albums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »

This!  I've done it several times for long trips and it works great.  Really gives you a much better appreciation for how good an album TA is.

Just did this last week on the (12) hour trip back from Gulf Shores. It had been a good seven or eight months since I had listened to a note of TA.....fired it up and listened to it straight through. That IMO is the only way to listen to the album and it really resonated with me just how good that album keeps getting with each time I do that. Listen to it straight through....then let it rest a few months.....rinse repeat.

What really stuck out aside from JP's incredible guitar playing was just how freaking awesome Mangini's drum effort was on that. If you sit and focus on what he is doing it really is remarkable how good a player he is. It's refreshing to hear creative takes and efforts on fills, kick beats....etc etc than a delve into your 'typical bag of tricks' that MP suffers from.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Trav86

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 10:56:01 AM »

Just did this last week on the (12) hour trip back from Gulf Shores. It had been a good seven or eight months since I had listened to a note of TA.....fired it up and listened to it straight through. That IMO is the only way to listen to the album and it really resonated with me just how good that album keeps getting with each time I do that. Listen to it straight through....then let it rest a few months.....rinse repeat.

What really stuck out aside from JP's incredible guitar playing was just how freaking awesome Mangini's drum effort was on that. If you sit and focus on what he is doing it really is remarkable how good a player he is. It's refreshing to hear creative takes and efforts on fills, kick beats....etc etc than a delve into your 'typical bag of tricks' that MP suffers from.
I can’t agree enough with all of this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline lilces19

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »

Hard to split any of TA for a playlist...
DT 12 didn’t really resonate much with me, although i did debate on The Bigger Picture...

Offline gm5k

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
Seeing playlists like this always gives me a great appreciation for all the amazing music DT has given us.  It's really incredible. 

Love the playlist btw.  Would jam that all day for a long car ride  :tup

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
I start with I&W and move chronologically through the catalog. It depends on the length of the trip, but I can usually get through 2 to 3 releases on one leg of a trip (my drives are 4 hours one way). I don't skip any songs.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »

That would be a good example of fixing something until it's broke.  :lol

I found it quite refreshing that he didn't include anything from the last two albums.  I would be inclined to do the same.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »
(On repeat)

Scene One: Regression
You Not Me
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Begin Again
I Walk Beside You
Prophets Of War
Whispers On The Wind

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline lilces19

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 06:15:24 AM »

That would be a good example of fixing something until it's broke.  :lol

I found it quite refreshing that he didn't include anything from the last two albums.  I would be inclined to do the same.

Agreed.  For the record, my personal favorite top-5 DT albums are:

1. SFAM
2. I&W
3. Awake
4. SDOIT
5. ToT

Offline lilces19

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
Seeing playlists like this always gives me a great appreciation for all the amazing music DT has given us.  It's really incredible. 

Love the playlist btw.  Would jam that all day for a long car ride  :tup

Thanks! I definitely had to leave a few of my favorites on the cutting floor, but I wanted to keep the run time under 5 hours....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
I actually find long car trips a good opportunity to listen to entire discographies. It's cool because you get to hear the progression as it happened. It's neat to hear how a band evolves over time and from one album to the next. Or doesn't. I made it most of the way through DT's driving from Cali to Dallas a few years back. Kind of made me hate SC.   :lol

Aside from discographies I'm also partial to audiobooks. That's where variety comes in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
Hmm...I don't really have a playlist for the one long trip I take each year. I just listen to full DT albums if I'm in the mood for DT. Usually Images & Words, Awake, Metropolis Part II and A Change of Seasons (the song).
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!