Author Topic: Household finances  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Household finances
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2022, 10:24:11 PM »
When I was single and in my 20s, a series of bad choices regularly left me on the brink financially. I had my own apartment and a car, and always (mostly) worked, but despite living frugally, had to take out a small loan and a cash advance on my credit card at a couple of the rougher spots. At some point I realized if it came down to it, my car was big enough for me to sleep in.

Fast forward to meeting my wife and starting a family. I had gained some stability, my wife had a solid job with more income than I will ever achieve, and I told her that there is no way I am going back to how it was when I was in my 20s, especially now that I have a family. Her mentality doesn't go far beyond "If more money is coming in than going out, I am happy" and lets me handle the finances. We're going to have a conversation this weekend about where we are at and where things seem to be headed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Household finances
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
That's one thing I did forget to add.  Never living beyond your means is essential.  :tup  It doesn't matter how much you make.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White