Author Topic: Rob Fenn Along for the Ride book - Did anyone order it?  (Read 13565 times)

Offline DT1976

Rob Fenn Along for the Ride book - Did anyone order it?
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Hi Everyone...just curious if anyone else ordered the Rob Fenn photographed Along For the Ride band autographed book that was available for purchase via a link from the DT website?   I ordered mine back in September of last year, and have tried repeatedly for updates from Rob Fenn and was just told 5 months ago there were production issues.   Curious if anyone else is still waiting for this book?   I was really looking forward to receiving it, and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it all appears to be pretty shady.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Rob Fenn Along for the Ride book - Did anyone order it?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
I have never heard of Rob Fenn or this book, but I am checking with DT management to see what I can find out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DT1976

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
Thanks so much.   I'm not seeing it currently on the DT website.   Below is a link to the Blabbermouth news regarding it when it when it was available to purchase as a pre-order.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-photo-book-in-the-works/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »
Did you actually pay for it?  Or was it basically a pre-order where they would charge you once it was ready?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
I don't think this book was ever made, actually. He had an autographed print, but I never saw the book actually being made.

Offline DT1976

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
I paid for it...just checked my statement.  Charge was for $117.91 (which included shipping) for the autographed version.   I emailed Rob Fenn several times since then and only had a few replies....again, the last one stating there were production issues.    It looked like it would be a great piece to have...especially autographed.  I didn't mind having to wait, but at this point, may just need to nag him for a refund.  Was curious if anyone else was in the same boat though.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
I paid for it...just checked my statement.  Charge was for $117.91 (which included shipping) for the autographed version.   I emailed Rob Fenn several times since then and only had a few replies....again, the last one stating there were production issues.    It looked like it would be a great piece to have...especially autographed.  I didn't mind having to wait, but at this point, may just need to nag him for a refund.  Was curious if anyone else was in the same boat though.

Interesting that you paid for it. I emailed or messaged Rob Fenn a few years ago about this but he basically told me that it was up to the band if they were going to put it out. Never heard that the actual pre-order went live because I would have been all over the place. I'll see if I can dig up the message or email where he said this.

Well, I found this, which this may be the charge you had in your statement and might the print you ordered. I don't think the book ever went on sale.
https://www.robfenn.com/products/dream-theater-autograph-canvas

Went through the checkout process and the total cost would have been 115.85 for UPS 2nd Day Air. There were other shipping options available and that was the closest amount I could get to your charge total.

There's also a John Petrucci canvas available:
https://www.robfenn.com/collections/autograph-canvas-prints/products/john-petrucci-autographed-canvas

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
That's a lot of fucking money.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
JR's missing in the photo, yet will have his autograph
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
Thanks so much.   I'm not seeing it currently on the DT website.   Below is a link to the Blabbermouth news regarding it when it when it was available to purchase as a pre-order.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-photo-book-in-the-works/

FWIW, this article is from February 2014 (around the time the tour began).  It says that Fenn and DT are going to collaborate on a book, but it doesn't say anything about ordering or pre-orders or when it will be available or where it can be obtained.  Did you order it through the band's official web site/merch store, or did you order it from Fenn's web site?  Either way, I would assume there's contact info for the purpose of requesting a refund.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
It wasn't on the band's website.  The DT website apparently linked to Fenn's website at one point in time, and Fenn apparently had a preorder link up on his site.  In the mean time, the book was never finalized by Fenn, so it never materialized.  We are looking into the issue for this user. 

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:04:59 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »
The second user (tsrobl1) refers to a print, not a book. The links that I posted link to the canvas prints.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 02:19:19 AM »
I pre-ordered the book as well... I always thought that he was awaiting the band to sign the book or a page to be inserted before printing.
Pretty poor to be kept waiting this long. Plus, it was made out to be something being produced with the bands blessing.
I'd appreciate any updates as too.

So those who have visited the Dream Theater website this past weekend you have already heard that you can now pre order the Dream Theater photo book "Along For The Ride" created by yours truly! I am so excited for this release. I am offering a standard edition along with an autographed edition. With every pre order you get an 18" x 24" canvas mailed out the day of your order. Learn more at www.RobFenn.com

Order summary

Dream Theater Photo Book × 1
Autographed Edition   
$100.00
Discount (bella)
$-10.00
Subtotal
$90.00
Shipping
$79.40
Total
$169.40 USD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:33:41 AM by KISS 76 »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »
What, almost $80 from shipping?!  :eek
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
What, almost $80 from shipping?!  :eek

That was the shipping cost to Australia...

Offline DT1976

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
Hey everyone...thanks for the continued conversation...I havent been on since my first couple posts.  Kiss 76...sorry to hear the same thing happened to you.  That excerpt from the Rob Fenn webiste is dead on.   I also have the email that included the same from him after purchasing the book (promotional emails received once you buy something).   Anyway, sounds like bosk1 is looking into things.   Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:08 AM »
Hey everyone...thanks for the continued conversation...I havent been on since my first couple posts.  Kiss 76...sorry to hear the same thing happened to you.  That excerpt from the Rob Fenn webiste is dead on.   I also have the email that included the same from him after purchasing the book (promotional emails received once you buy something).   Anyway, sounds like bosk1 is looking into things.   Thanks for everyone's feedback!

The 18" x 24" canvas turned up about a week later. Since then not a peep...

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 05:08:42 AM »
I ordered when originally listed, I received the canvas (plus having to pay additional £30 import charges on a "free" item.)

I have emailed Rob Fenn  on a number of occasions and he has ignored all my messages.

It appears that anyone who has paid for the book have gone towards Rob Fenn Stalking Lzzy Hale around the world.

Really winds me up to see on his facebook how many gigs and party's he gatecrashes and then embezzles honest hard working peoples money with no guilt.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 05:18:54 AM »
This is what he listed on a news letter email dated 27th September 2017.

So those who have visited the Dream Theater website this past weekend you have already heard that you can now pre order the Dream Theater photo book "Along For The Ride" created by yours truly! I am so excited for this release. I am offering a standard edition along with an autographed edition. With every pre order you get an 18" x 24" canvas mailed out the day of your order. Learn more at www.RobFenn.com

Rob Fenn also issued a signed DT band canvas via his website and linked to by the band, which when bought gave you 50% off the DT photo book, I have asked about whether I should have been credited with a discount, and guess what, no reply.

I think fraud is the only way I can describe Mr Fenn.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 01:43:20 AM »
This is what he listed on a news letter email dated 27th September 2017.

Rob Fenn also issued a signed DT band canvas via his website and linked to by the band, which when bought gave you 50% off the DT photo book, I have asked about whether I should have been credited with a discount, and guess what, no reply.

I think fraud is the only way I can describe Mr Fenn.
I also ordered the signed DT band canvas. I totally forgot about the 50% discount offer. Something else he reneged on... What a crook. The band needs to put some pressure on so he makes things right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
I don't know anything other than what was posted here but I don't tolerate ripoffs.  His info is easy enough to find and people like this usually do the right thing when people put a little bit of pressure on them.  I suggest putting him on blast on his facebook or even try calling him personally.  Who knows?  Maybe he's even a good guy, that got in over his head, and is living in ignorant bliss to the difficulty he put on people.  Give it a try. 

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 01:31:51 AM »
I don't know anything other than what was posted here but I don't tolerate ripoffs.  His info is easy enough to find and people like this usually do the right thing when people put a little bit of pressure on them.  I suggest putting him on blast on his facebook or even try calling him personally.  Who knows?  Maybe he's even a good guy, that got in over his head, and is living in ignorant bliss to the difficulty he put on people.  Give it a try.

So I took your advice Madman. I sent this polite message last week "Hi Rob. Any updates on when your signed Dream Theater photo book is going to be ready to be sent? Thanks for your time." As expected. NO REPLY! Yet continues to post all sorts of crap about what's "going on" in his life... Going to have to put this down as a rip off, unless the band step in and ensures all those that paid in good faith receive what they paid for.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 04:34:50 AM »
Yep, I've tried being polite, sending pleasant emails etc, but nothing.
When DT hired this guy to go on tour with them it surprised me as DT did not appear to be his "cup of tea" music wise.
Turns out that DT try to appreciate their fans, Rob Fenn is a complete self obsessed a$$ hole.    :angry:

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 04:42:54 AM »
Here is the post from DT Facebook page

Dream Theater
14 April 2015 ·
LIMITED EDITION run of 250 autograph canvas prints that are signed and numbered by Rob Fenn, and then autographed by each member of Dream Theater! https://robfenn.com/?p=2386

Everyone who purchases the canvas before May 23rd will receive 50% off the upcoming photo book.

This is from Blabbermouth, Rob Fenn seems to have conveniently gotten rid of all references of his online media.

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER are collaborating with photographer Rob Fenn on a hardcover photo book documenting the North American leg of their "Along For The Ride" tour, which kicks off March 20. Fenn will be traveling with the band all the way from Toronto, Canada's Massey Hall to Mesa, Arizona's Ikeda Theater, shooting 23 shows in all, including the special March 25 performance at the Boston Opera House which will feature an orchestra and choir from Berklee College of Music. Proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit the F*ck Cancer foundation and Dying 2 Live.

"Being able to do a book project with an iconic and influential band such as DREAM THEATER is beyond a honor," says Fenn, who's previously shot limited-edition prints featuring KILLSWITCH ENGAGE's Jesse Leach and SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR's Corey Taylor. "Cancer affects my life daily, so to be able to give back through my work on a project like this is a true blessing."

DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci says: "We were introduced to Rob's work through Mark Abramson at Roadrunner. His photos are amazing and as soon as we found out about the cause, we were all immediately on board.

"All of our lives have been affected by cancer in some way and all of us have lost loved ones to the disease. This is a great way for us to be a part of the crusade toward finding a cure, and we are looking forward to working together with Rob on the upcoming North American tour."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:50 AM »
So he's not a newcomer... it's weird that he actually does this for other bands - Corey Taylor is not exactly an unknown dude - and yet turns MIA for Dream Theater. Something's up but he was not an unknown dude out of the blue, he actually had legitimate credentials...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »

So I took your advice Madman. I sent this polite message last week "Hi Rob. Any updates on when your signed Dream Theater photo book is going to be ready to be sent? Thanks for your time." As expected. NO REPLY! Yet continues to post all sorts of crap about what's "going on" in his life... Going to have to put this down as a rip off, unless the band step in and ensures all those that paid in good faith receive what they paid for.

Yep, I've tried being polite, sending pleasant emails etc, but nothing.
When DT hired this guy to go on tour with them it surprised me as DT did not appear to be his "cup of tea" music wise.
Turns out that DT try to appreciate their fans, Rob Fenn is a complete self obsessed a$$ hole.    :angry:

Time to stop being so polite and call him out publicly.  Leave comments on his facebook, leave reviews for his business, etc. 

Offline DT1976

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 10:52:30 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I emailed Rob Fenn again on 8/11.   In my email I referenced this Forum and how word is that the book was never produced, or never materialized, and that I expected a full refund in a timely fashion.  He emailed me back pretty quickly and said "I understand your frustration.  Could you tell me who told you it is never going into production?"    I responded by calling him out on the fact that he was more concerned about word of mouth on a forum vs serving his customers.   Reminded him that we've had to beg and plead for information and that doing good business means that at a minimum there should be updates on his website regarding delays or any such issues.    He did respond, agreeing with my statement and indicated a refund would be given by next Tuesday.   If it happens, great.  Hopefully he has started to respond to everyone else's emails as well.   I'm still of the mind though that it all feels too shady to just scrap it up to a misunderstanding....especially when others have had similar experiences.... Let other bands do what they want, but hopefully Dream Theater cuts ties completely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
Here is the official word from DT management:  The book is not going forward, and Mr. Fenn should be issuing refunds to anyone who prepaid.  If he is not honoring that, please let me know.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 05:04:39 AM »
Thanks Bosk 1 for providing this confirmation.
As I have said previous Mr Fenn could take a leaf out of DT's communication with their fans.
I emailed Mr Fenn yesterday asking for a refund, as yet no reply, but will keep you informed, once again thanks for the help.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
Here is the official word from DT management:  The book is not going forward, and Mr. Fenn should be issuing refunds to anyone who prepaid.  If he is not honoring that, please let me know.

Thanks Bosk1. I'm disappointed as I wanted the book but I don't appreciate being ripped off even more. I've emailed him requesting a refund. We'll see what his response will be. Hopefully he'll do the decent thing & issue a refund to everyone.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 01:38:55 AM »
So as I kind of expected. No reply to my email & no refund. The contempt this guy has for us is beyond my imagination. I guess he thinks that if he says nothing then he dosen't need to refund everyone? Hopefully the band or management can put some pressure on him to make good? A sad state of affairs.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 04:59:02 AM »
No reply to my emails either, but, did I expect anything more?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Time to start making phone calls. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
Hey, guys.  I did some research and noticed that Rob Fenn is also the founder of NDR Records in Utah.  NDR Records is apparently based out of a barber shop/coffee shop/record shop in Payson, UT called Cut & Scratch (Link: https://www.facebook.com/cutscratch/).  Their phone number is 801-658-5577.  Best of luck!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:47:26 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):