Author Topic: VH1: Bands Reunited  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
VH1: Bands Reunited
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:43:59 AM »
Anyone ever watch this? I'm currently watching it on YouTube. The premise is, basically they're trying to reunite original bandmembers from 80's bands for a get together and, hopefully, a rehearsal and one off live performance before fans.

It's a brilliant concept and some of them are pretty funny to watch, some of them are just plain heartbreaking though. (the one with Vixen is exceptionally good, the Alarm, A flock of seagulls).

The one with Frankie goes to Hollywood is especially hilarious. Everyone of the original bandmembers were up for it, except vocalist Holly Johnson, who was just being a pompous ass.
(just saw footage of the original band, extended with orchestra and a very good young singer doing the Princes Trust Wembley concert in 2004 and it just blew my socks off, it's so good. Take that, Holly! (btw that whole concert was produced by Trevor Horne, who even turns up to play bass for Grace Jones's Slave to the Rhythm (another stellar performance).

With some bands, you just can feel the resention and distrust from happenings in the past though, the English Beat is a good example of that. Needless to say, there was no gig forthcoming.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: VH1: Bands Reunited
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:26:41 AM »
I remember that. If I recall the ‘Extreme’ reunion effort didn’t go so well. But it was a pretty cool show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
Berlin was great.

Flock Of Seagulls hated each other.

Vixen was fun to watch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »
remembered the Flock of Seagulls one.  went to Youtube to check it out and discovered the Seagulls have a new album out with the original foursome playing their hits with an orchestra. 

I liked it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
remembered the Flock of Seagulls one.  went to Youtube to check it out and discovered the Seagulls have a new album out with the original foursome playing their hits with an orchestra. 

Hits?  They had more than one?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
(just saw footage of the original band, extended with orchestra and a very good young singer doing the Princes Trust Wembley concert in 2004 and it just blew my socks off, it's so good. Take that, Holly!
Yeah, that was one helluva performance. Never cared for their style of music but I give them all the credit in the world for being a great live band. As I recall Steve Howe played slide guitar for part of their set.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 04:08:27 PM »
Saw the thread, but have never heard of the show. Cool, will check it out.

I've recently been watching the Sammy Hagar interviews on the Hard Rock Heaven channel on YouTube.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »

Yep.  Here in the States, I Ran, Wishing and Space Age Love Song were all pretty big hits, although I Ran is the one that has endured the most, obviously.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:39:56 AM »

Yep.  Here in the States, I Ran, Wishing and Space Age Love Song were all pretty big hits, although I Ran is the one that has endured the most, obviously.

I looked it up before posting and saw that those other songs had cracked the top 30 in the same year as "I Ran," but I don't recognize them at all (at least not by name).  That was right in the time that I watched MTV regularly.  Maybe if I listened to them I'd recognize them....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
I actually liked Space Age Love Song more than I Ran.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:07:52 PM »

Your telling me you heard this? I'm blown away.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »

It was on MTV constantly as a follow up when I Ran petered out.

Is this a dig because I had never heard some obscure Bon Jovi tune that was apparently written for women anyway?  ;) ;D  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »
You mean a popular female singer? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »

You stole my response. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »

You stole my response. :lol :lol

:lol

I thought it never made it to Seattle.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
Forget it......
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:53:20 PM by jammindude »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
You mean my mom who passed away in 2011?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
You mean my mom who passed away in 2011?

Deleted.....it was supposed to be fun, but I honestly had no idea....my apologies. 

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
I didn't remember this show, I watched a couple of episode a long ago (I remember the a flock of seagulls one, that's the way i knew abot them). It was a good show.