Author Topic: The Martial Arts thread  (Read 690 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The Martial Arts thread
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:13:31 AM »
Anyone ever practice martial arts? If so what was your style and are you interested in trying other styles?

When I was younger, I did Taekwondo and I really loved it. It kept me in fantastic shape and I always had a great time. I am now looking to get into learning jiu jitsu.

How about you guys?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Martial Arts thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
I never took classes but me and my friends used to do Capoeira. It used to be really fun. Not martial art but we were more serious and involved with Parkour.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Martial Arts thread
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »
Studied Kempo/Kenpo for 10 years (8-18), and was awarded my black belt when I was 18 after a lot of hard work. I miss it, but the martial arts has become so commercialized. I learned from my father (who had a small school in the mid-to-late 1980s, and who learned from a Japanese instructor while in that country, and later a relative of that instructor who moved to Brooklyn in the early 1970s), and had friends in the 90s that attended other smaller dojos. But I look around today and see these schools who advance people based on what seems like attendance, not skill. All business and about gratification, not teaching and learning.

For example, in 2009, I was working in political communications and one of the staffers overheard I had studied, and shared that she was working toward her Black Belt. We shared an office, so one Friday morning (casual dress), we sparred a little. Nothing major. I was shocked. The knowledge was mostly there, but the speed was not developed - at all. She had to think, instead of react. And me, I mean, its not like I sit around practicing, but if you know what you're doing, it's ingrained, and it's still there if needed. It was for me. Suffice it to say, we ended that session quickly, as we didn't want to run the risk of either of us getting hurt.

For a brief time around then, I considered looking at attending classes as a new student, just to workout and the camaraderie. But I never felt anything I saw was worth it. Hopefully other peoples' experiences have been better.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com