Author Topic: Van Halen opened for Bon Jovi in Europe in 1995?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Van Halen opened for Bon Jovi in Europe in 1995?
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
I still think it's so weird how big Bon Jovi is in the rest of the world.   

In the US, he has maybe 4 or 5 hits tops.   

Runaway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Livin on a Prayer
Wanted Dead or Alive
Bad Medicine

And 3 of those are off *ONE ALBUM*.   

I know a few others because I have the older albums...but they are seriously a footnote in the hair metal scheme of things in the states.   Ya, maybe in the top 10 hair metal bands.....you might put them at the bottom of the top 5 if you were biased.   

It's my Life wasn't a massive hit in the US? That is maybe the best known Bon Jovi track over here and one much later in their career. It is why my generation also grew up with Bon Jovi. I always thought that was their biggest hit (and on YouTube it has hundreds of millions of views more than any of their other tracks). And on streaming services Spotify and Deezer it is currently #2 and #4 respectively. Is that all due to non-US folks?

Anyways, in relation to this thread, I think Van Halen used to be absolutely massive but didn't really retain their audience/mindshare into the modern age or even further into the 90's? Many bands of the 80's (or before) still are mentioned/used a lot, but over here Van Halen isn't really one of them. I know of them because they made an "appearance" in South Park and later found out it is actually a band with Dutch roots, with the band name literally being a Dutch surname.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Wasn't Alex sporting a very rock'n'roll neck brace for a fair amount of time in the '90's?  I seem to recall that.  I feel back for him personally, since that might be a lot of pain, but it looked ridiculous.

I know he did on the Balance tour.  Even though many have said that they looked like a band not having as much on that tour, I couldn't tell. Then again, they played the song 5150, so I was pretty euphoric from that point on the rest of the night. :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »

Runaway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Livin on a Prayer
Wanted Dead or Alive
Bad Medicine

I know a few others because I have the older albums...but they are seriously a footnote in the hair metal scheme of things in the states.   Ya, maybe in the top 10 hair metal bands.....you might put them at the bottom of the top 5 if you were biased.   

It's my Life wasn't a massive hit in the US? That is maybe the best known Bon Jovi track over here and one much later in their career. It is why my generation also grew up with Bon Jovi. I always thought that was their biggest hit (and on YouTube it has hundreds of millions of views more than any of their other tracks). And on streaming services Spotify and Deezer it is currently #2 and #4 respectively. Is that all due to non-US folks?

To tell you the truth, the only Bon Jovi song I hear anywhere any more seems to be Livin on a Prayer.   And I don't think that was as popular as You Give Love a Bad Name when SWW was first released. 

I just played It's My Life and it does sound familiar.  My wife says she knows it.   Maybe it's a girl thing.  LOL

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
jammindude, have you heard Stairway to Heaven?  Or Don't Stop Believin'?  Or Hotel California?

I ask because, at this rate, it is hard to know what music they play on whatever island you are managing to get internet access. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
I don't listen to the radio and I hear It's My Life like 200 times a day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2018, 06:57:44 AM »

Runaway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Livin on a Prayer
Wanted Dead or Alive
Bad Medicine

To tell you the truth, the only Bon Jovi song I hear anywhere any more seems to be Livin on a Prayer.   And I don't think that was as popular as You Give Love a Bad Name when SWW was first released. 

I just played It's My Life and it does sound familiar.  My wife says she knows it.   Maybe it's a girl thing.  LOL

It is a girl thing, to an extent.  I mean, yea there's a lot more really popular BJ songs than you named so I'll kind of agree with the others have said, but there is some truth to the female thing.  That's really why BJ is so popular, because he has a huge female following unlike many rock bands.  He still has some popular music among that base that was released in the 90s and 00s, such as Always (my sister loved this song growing up) and Who Says You Can't Go Home (my gf knew that song and I didn't when they played it last year). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2018, 07:04:29 AM »
You calling me a girl since I knew that song? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2018, 07:13:56 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2018, 07:18:52 AM »
A fucking butt ass ugly girl.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2018, 07:20:59 AM »
OH IT'S ON MOTHER $%^&@#!!! :lol

A fucking butt ass ugly girl.

did you look that up in your 1964 Playboy mag?

You old bastard?

BTW, there is 2 versions of that song.  There's a duet version with Jennifer Nettles.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
Actually, it's easy to prove that Kingshmegland is a guy.

The proof is Power Windows...

..as in no female has EVER HEARD OF Power Windows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
My wife owned the cassette.

I married her.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 08:12:16 AM »
I have a mom, an ex-wife, a wife, a mom-in-law, two daughters and a daughter-in-law.  The only time ANY of them have ever mentioned "Power Windows" was when I brought home my pickup truck and both daughters said "it doesn't have power windows.  I don't want to crank a window up and down all day long."   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
My wife owned the cassette.

She probably forgot to check the box saying she did not want the Columbia House record of the month.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »

why would you do that to yourself?  :-\
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
Wasn't Alex sporting a very rock'n'roll neck brace for a fair amount of time in the '90's?  I seem to recall that.  I feel back for him personally, since that might be a lot of pain, but it looked ridiculous.

I know he did on the Balance tour.  Even though many have said that they looked like a band not having as much on that tour, I couldn't tell. Then again, they played the song 5150, so I was pretty euphoric from that point on the rest of the night. :metal

I saw Van Halen in '95 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, and I was honestly bored to tears.  It was frustrating how phoned in everything felt and sounded.  I had been really looking forward to that show and felt let down.  Sammy was the only one on stage who exhibited ANY energy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »

Because it's a great song?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »

Cause it's now or never.

....I ain't gonna live forever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »
It's Adami's Life....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »

I saw Van Halen in '95 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, and I was honestly bored to tears.  It was frustrating how phoned in everything felt and sounded.  I had been really looking forward to that show and felt let down.  Sammy was the only one on stage who exhibited ANY energy.

I saw them on the Balance tour in Germany and they kicked major ass. But maybe I'm biased because it was my first VH concert and the joy of seeing one of the greatest guitar players may have clouded my perception.  :biggrin:

And I think that Alex didn't wear his neck brace, but maybe I just forgot.

and re: VH opening for BJ. Van Halen just never were that big in Germany (or Europe?) than Bon Jovi was. I saw Van Halen a second time, this time with Gary Cherone, on a big festival and they were playing early afternoon, where the newcomers and the not so well known bands played. Would I have liked them to play later on with a longer set? Sure! But that's not for me to decide.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D