Author Topic: Retired Favorites  (Read 2906 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Retired Favorites
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
Ya know, those bands/albums/songs you almost never listen to anymore because you listened to them so much back in the day, but you still look back on fondly and would still call a favorite; you just don't feel the need to listen anymore.

Not sure I can pick an album, because even ones I overplayed the crap out of still have at least a song or two I still revisit enough to where I can't say it is "retired."

For now, I would say songs I would considered retired are:

Rush - Limelight
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Styx - Come Sail Away
Muse - Time Is Running Out
U2 - New Year's Day

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Retired Favorites
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
Two albums that come to mind are AC/DC's Back In Black and Boston's debut.
Also, anything by Led Zeppelin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »
Images & Words is pretty much retired for me. I love it but I’ve heard every song so much that its just ingrained in my dna at this point. It’s not my favorite DT album but I feel like I’ve heard it the most.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Also, anything by Led Zeppelin.

That was my first thought. Floyd was my entry point in to classic rock, and they and The Who were my favorites, but LZ was right up there in terms of what I listened to. I can't remember the last time I listened to any LZ song all the way through. Yet still listen to PF and The Who all the time.

In terms of The Who, I would say Tommy. That album has little appeal to me now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:21:27 AM »
I think I haven't listened to a Manowar tune in 20 years, but I confess they approached favourite status in junior high, mainly because of Eric Adams' talents.

Also, now that I think about it, Metallica.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »
Pretty much every big lifetime favourite of mine......must remedy this.  I spend most of my time checking out new music.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:43:23 AM »
All of my old bands, the first ones I started to listen to as a teenager.

Being a young kind with a lot of time and with literally few cassettes here and there means that you can listen to always the same little number of songs over and over and over and over and over. Growing older the amount of music to listen to grows esponentially, and the free time decreases, so the first albums I discovered will be the ones I will have listened to the most.

Consider that I started to listen to heavy music in 1995 so 23 years later I don't feel much need to listen to those early songs anymore. Bands whose older songs (songs that were recorded before 2000 at least) I basically hear only when played live are:

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Dream Theater
Blind Guardian
Helloween

Really, I only listened to The Trooper and The Number of the Beast once this year. Because I saw Maiden live 10 days ago. I will forever call them my favorite band, but in later years I go back only for the reunion albums.

Same with DT, Scenes from a Memory is possibly my favorite album ever, but I never listened to it this year, and probably I didn't in the whole 2017. I will dig it back for the 20th anniversary I'm sure.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:15:37 AM »
Pretty much every big lifetime favourite of mine......must remedy this.  I spend most of my time checking out new music.

This is kind of what I thought of.  Even though I don't check out all that much new music lately, there would be hundreds of albums that would fall into this thread category.  If it's a band I discovered a long time ago, it's probably fitting here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »

This is kind of what I thought of.  Even though I don't check out all that much new music lately, there would be hundreds of albums that would fall into this thread category.  If it's a band I discovered a long time ago, it's probably fitting here.

Ya, the list would be so long that I think I'd have a very difficult time remembering them all. A much shorter list would be the songs/albums/bands that I over-played yet still crave to hear regularly.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
U2 - New Year's Day

Redemption's cover of this song on the upcoming album is fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
Almost every Kiss song I like (aprox 40 songs)
Guns n' roses
Led Zeppelin (with the exception of Starway to heaven, which I still can listen from time to time)
Most of the Beatles discography
Some metallica songs (Enter sandman, nothing else matters, sad but true, for whom the bell tolls and a few others).

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
Symphonic prog in general, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and so on.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »
Ya know, those bands/albums/songs you almost never listen to anymore because you listened to them so much back in the day, but you still look back on fondly and would still call a favorite; you just don't feel the need to listen anymore.

Not sure I can pick an album, because even ones I overplayed the crap out of still have at least a song or two I still revisit enough to where I can't say it is "retired."

For now, I would say songs I would considered retired are:

Rush - Limelight
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Styx - Come Sail Away
Muse - Time Is Running Out
U2 - New Year's Day

Wow.

Except for Limelight (don't need to hear that one ever again), I pretty much feel the need to listen to any of those songs any time of day or night. So easy to just lose yourself in those.

War is one of my favorite albums of all time. I love the space they were in when they recorded that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »

Except for Limelight (don't need to hear that one ever again), I pretty much feel the need to listen to any of those songs any time of day or night. So easy to just lose yourself in those.

War is one of my favorite albums of all time. I love the space they were in when they recorded that album.

Don't get me wrong, I still love all of those songs.  Those bands just have a ton more go-to songs for me now.

War is definitely a great record. Some great deep cuts on that one, especially Drowning Man and Surrender.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
I think I haven't listened to a Manowar tune in 20 years, but I confess they approached favourite status in junior high, mainly because of Eric Adams' talents.

What?!? Another Manowar fan?!? Yoooohooo!!!

Edit : Yeah, I know, but it will be my only contribution to this thread.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
Hey, I bought Battle Hymns when it CAME OUT!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 05:26:18 AM »

What?!? Another Manowar fan?!? Yoooohooo!!!

All men play on ten, brothers.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 05:36:33 AM »
Manowar, Manowar living on the road  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »
See? Coming out is a beautiful thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
A lot of Metallica and Dream Theater honestly. I listened to them so much that I just got burnt out.

However a little while back I ran through the DT and Metallica discography and I really enjoyed it. Before doing that I hadn't listened to either band, aside from a song here or there, for over 5 years so the rediscovery was nice.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 06:57:23 AM »
Appetite For Destruction would be a main one. Loved it for a year until it broke in the UK and you couldn’t go anywhere without hearing Sweet Child, Paradise City and Jungle. Didn’t listen to it for years, never bought anything else from them after Lies.

Played it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 04:26:04 AM »

No way. Awesome. Someone lent me Hail To England on cassette in about 86 and it's a core piece of metal glory for me. Basically, that whole album is incredible. I've not retired it, tho. After all, the gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die. Amiright?

I'm the same on Zep. Barely ever put it on. Best band ever tho.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 03:00:42 PM »
The O.P. mentioned Limelight.  I've heard that song as much as any song out there and I still love it to this day. I crank it when it comes on the radio.. :coolio
As far as retired music for me. Pretty much all of Metallica, AC/DC, Scorpions. I still like them but they very rarely find their way to my CD player if ever.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Anyway - isn't it nice to go to a concert of a favorite band, whose overplayed classics you haven't heard in ages, and when said classics come up, you sing them line by line and word for word like you just hear them yesterday the last time?  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »

No way. Awesome. Someone lent me Hail To England on cassette in about 86 and it's a core piece of metal glory for me. Basically, that whole album is incredible. I've not retired it, tho. After all, the gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die. Amiright?

Love Hail To England. I was a big ManOwaR fan back in the day. Into Glory Ride is their best though.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 02:20:57 AM »

Love Hail To England. I was a big ManOwaR fan back in the day. Into Glory Ride is their best though.

The first 4 albums are fantastic, but I also have to go with Into Glory Ride. Secret of Steel and Gates of Valhalla are out of this world singing-wise.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 02:34:44 AM »
Into Glory Ride is epic as fvck, but let's not forget the overlooked gem of their catalogue, overshadowed by the commercial success of Kings of Metal: THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL.

Their equivalent of A Change of Seasons, a 30 minutes suite about Achilles full of bass and drum solos, open an album dark, heavy, relentless and uncompromising. Spirit Horse of the Cherokee, The Power of Thy Sword, The Demon's Whips are among the very best stuff they've ever done and after such a continuated assault of dark epic metal and double bass, the album is closed by a wonderful and delicate ballad, Master of the Wind.

A complete masterpiece, as old as Images and Words, but sadly not as successful (in comparison to Manowar's discography I mean).

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
Into Glory Ride is epic as fvck, but let's not forget the overlooked gem of their catalogue, overshadowed by the commercial success of Kings of Metal: THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL.

Their equivalent of A Change of Seasons, a 30 minutes suite about Achilles full of bass and drum solos, open an album dark, heavy, relentless and uncompromising. Spirit Horse of the Cherokee, The Power of Thy Sword, The Demon's Whips are among the very best stuff they've ever done and after such a continuated assault of dark epic metal and double bass, the album is closed by a wonderful and delicate ballad, Master of the Wind.

A complete masterpiece, as old as Images and Words, but sadly not as successful (in comparison to Manowar's discography I mean).

Oh, I don't overlook it because I LOVE it! The singing on Burning OMG! I like the discography up to Louder than Hell. Then, I let go.

B.Lee

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
I think you can pull the best songs off the post Louder than Hell era and make a good record out of it:

01. The Ascension
02. King of Kings
03. Call to Arms
04. Born in a Grave
05. Blood Brothers
06. Hand of Doom
07. House of Death
08. Swords in the Wind
09. Gods of War
10. Warriors of the World United
11. Fight Until We Die
12. Odin

(Yes, I've picked only one song off The Lord of Steel, and I've even been generous to that album)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »

Amen to that, bro. My favourite is Sign of the Hammer though, unique mood and melodies.

Also, since I've started this party, I may as well go hogwild with it and add that Fighting the World and Kings of Metal are two great albums, despite a lot of people seem to relegate those to red headed stepchildren status.

I've never understood the criticism, they are great fun with moments of truly inspired musicmaking.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 08:11:42 AM »

Amen to that, bro. My favourite is Sign of the Hammer though, unique mood and melodies.

Also, since I've started this party, I may as well go hogwild with it and add that Fighting the World and Kings of Metal are two great albums, despite a lot of people seem to relegate those to red headed stepchildren status.

I've never understood the criticism, they are great fun with moments of truly inspired musicmaking.

I love them as well, but they lack the rawness of the first four. From FtW onwards, their albums began having more polished sound and compositions. IMO, they lack the urgency the first 4 albums had.

B.Lee

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
I love that Manowar are getting so much love here.  :lol :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
I’m finding myself agreeing with everything in the above posts, apart from the Images and Words comparison 😀

Triumph of a Steel is great but I never really enjoyed the Achilles Suite. Some good parts but the solo spots kill the momentum

Sign of the Hammer is great too. Mountains is all kinds of awesome. Sent it in Chad’s roulette and it didn’t go well 😀

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
What I simply meant is that The Triumph of Steel and Images and Words were both release in 1992, but I&W is vastly more important in DT's discography than Triumph of Steel in Manowar's discography.

Also, I've made myself an edit version of Achilles that cuts out the solos, it runs 16 minutes and it flows quite nicely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »

Mountains is all kinds of awesome. Sent it in Chad’s roulette and it didn’t go well 😀

...and you're surprised?  :lol