12 (26.7%)
Dark Passion Play
6 (13.3%)
Imaginaerum
7 (15.6%)
Endless Forms Most Beautiful
7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Favorite Nightwish album?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline WildRanger

Favorite Nightwish album?
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
Which one for you?

Oceanborn for me. Tarja-era is my fav.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Favorite Nightwish album?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
DPP turned me into a fan of the band, it's a masterpiece, and Oceanborn is another amazing album, but the rest of Nightwish's repertoire is wildly inconsistent for my tastes and while they have a few awesome songs here and there, they have a lot of material I simply dislike. If I ranked them...

1. Dark Passion Play - flawless
2. Oceanborn - nearly flawless
[big gap]
3. Imaginaerum - very good
4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - good
5. Once - half good, half poor
6. Century Child - half good, half poor
[big gap]
7. Wishmaster - very poor
8. Angels Fall First - very poor
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
Ocean Born
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
I don't think they have a bad album, but my favorite is EFMB.  Once isn't far behind. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »
Interesting band.  For awhile, I thought they would be one of my favorites.  They have two great albums with Century Child and Once, and one really good album with Imaginaerum.  The rest range from bad to just unmemorable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
Once is the top of their bell curve IMO.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
I got into them on a whim by randomly buying Once when I saw it in a store. Loved that album and still do. When Dark Passion Play came out, I played the crap out of that. To me, it's a flawless album. They've gotten progressively worse since then IMO, and everything before Once that I've checked out has not been as good as what came later.

I went with DPP
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
Once is my favorite. Ranking the rest would be a challenge as there isn't much separation. Except for AFF.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
Surprised to see so much love for Once. The first four tracks rock, and then everything afterwards is truly awful imo, except Ghost Love Score (and even then, that song overstays its welcome). Lost of different opinions on Nightwish, hmm :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
Im kind of surprised people dislike so much of their stuff.  I feel like they've been fairly consistent, sure the sound changed from power metal to symphonic and operatic to poppish, but I feel like they consistently write good songs that still have a similar signature nightwish sound/style to them.  But they are one of my favorite bands so I am just a fan boy speaking I guess.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
Once

I got into them with Oceanborn, then never got the next two as they came out for some reason.  Once came out and our local rock station in Chicago played Wish I Had an Angel, which re-introduced me to the band after a number of years of not paying attention to them.  It blew me away and I spent so much time listening to it while driving back and forth to visit my wife when we started dating long distance. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Century Child.

All their stuff is good. But my least favorite is Endless Forms Most Beautiful (i don't have Angels Fall First so don't really know the songs too well). I don't know what it is about that album, but I find myself hardly listening to the album, I do enjoy most of the songs though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 02:00:02 PM »
Century Child, no contest. The one with most heart in it.

I haven't been too interested in them recently. I bought Endless Forms when it came out, but haven't listened to it once.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
Imaginaerum all the way. I love all that crazy wacky fantasy stuff. Classic Nightwish, jazz and folk metal in the same album. Can't get any better.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Imaginaerum all the way. I love all that crazy wacky fantasy stuff. Classic Nightwish, jazz and folk metal in the same album. Can't get any better.

Crow/Owl/Dove is such a great song. I hope they make albums in that vein in their later years when they chill out. Or a combination of that and older style songs like Sleeping Sun would be perfect.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
Tuomas is on record saying that he'd like the last Nightwish album, when the time will come, to be mostly acoustic to mirror the early beginnings of the band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 03:24:36 AM »
My favorite would probably be EFMB. The lyrics get a bit pretentious at times, but the music is phenomenal (especially the orchestration) and Floor's singing style fits the band really well. Imaginaerum and Once would probably be next on the list. Everything else is a bit hit or miss for me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »

I haven't been too interested in them recently. I bought Endless Forms when it came out, but haven't listened to it once.
What what what, lol, why not?  I mean, buying an album and not listening to it is like buying a piece of art then hanging it on your wall and never looking at it.  I highly recommend listening to EFMB, it's a prett fantastic album with Floor on vocals. The title track rocks, plus there's an epic.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 02:20:49 PM »
Excellent band, love all their albums after the debut (which I also quite like), but my favourite is Wishmaster.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »

What what what, lol, why not?  I mean, buying an album and not listening to it is like buying a piece of art then hanging it on your wall and never looking at it.  I highly recommend listening to EFMB, it's a prett fantastic album with Floor on vocals. The title track rocks, plus there's an epic.

To be fair, I've heard most of it. My friend downloaded it illegally and we listened to some of it. Afterwards I bought it basically out of guilt. :lol Honestly, haven't just felt like it. NW without Tarja just isn't the same. I've seen them live with Floor and I like her, but still.

The title track and Alpenglow played regularly on radio when it came out. Don't really care about either. Also, it's sort of an inside joke between me and my friend how to Alpenglow intro sounds pretty much like Ever Dream.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »
Century Child has always been my favorite. Just a perfect album. Top 10 all time (for any band) for me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
Yup. I don't really listen to NW anymore, but CC is still an album I can enjoy from time to time. I tried to give EFMB a chance, but apart from Weak Fantasy and Edema Ruh nothing really grabbed me. Tuomas is stuck recycling riffs from Dark Chest of Wonders and Master Passion Greed, and I'm not that much into symphonic metal anymore anyway.

Offline JLa

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
Never been a fan of their albums, but they have sooo many great single tracks. Ghost Love Score.. can't decide if Wacken or Buenos Aires is the better live performance, but Floor absolutely nails it in both.

Here ya go, you decide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_eoR6r1Tw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjIlHWBAVo

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
This is pretty much an impossible choice since they all have stand out tracks. Going to have to go with Once since that is album that hooked me.