1 (0.8%)
Led Zeppelin - Presence
4 (3.4%)
Camel - Moonmadness
4 (3.4%)
other (name below)
5 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Your two favorite albums from 1976?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Your two favorite albums from 1976?
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
I'm not ugly. I'm funny faced.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
I'm not ugly. I'm funny faced.

Actually Starstruck, while certainly less attractive, is not ugly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »

I think LA Connection and Black Sheep... fist fight daily for the worst Rainbow (Dio) song ever.

But I understand what you're saying.   I think both albums, Rising and LLRnR are still top tier, even with their faults.

I like Black Sheep. I love how Dio sounds on that first album. So folksy, which is a nice contrast to Metal Dio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »
See, with Dio and Blackmore, I kind of gravitate to the epic.    I get tingles every time I hear "Look! There! On the horizon!!!!" then to hear him singing about "double indemnity", I don't know...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Oh, totally. Stargazer is Rainbow's tour de force no doubt. But I have a soft spot for the first album.

Rock and Roll Over - Kiss

Because of this post, I busted this out for my ride to work today.
Ace Frehley reminded me of an untalented Michael Schenker. His sense of melody in his solos was fantastic.

As big as KISS is, I still feel like Paul Stanley doesn't get his due when great rock vocalist lists are being put together.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
Paul Stanley's voice is one of a kind and iconic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:42 PM »
Oh, as much as I think Baby Driver is a queer name, I think the song is excellent. Love Ace's lead playing throughout the entire track. I think it's the most underrated track of the first six albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »

There's a CD in some versions of their album Sonic Boom - not the most recent, but the one before - that has about 12 or 15 re-recordings of classic material, and I defy people to tell the difference between the original and the redo based on his voice alone.  Up until the last tour or so (where he's not what he once was) there was very very little drop off.  And live?  He gives 100% every show I've seen him. 

He's not in my top five list of pure singers (I lean to guys like Mercury, Bono, Sting, Elton John, Paul Rodgers, who all have a sort of similar, smooth, almost operatic voices), but he is in my list of top five frontmen of all time, easily.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »

Ace Frehley reminded me of an untalented Michael Schenker.

Haha, that made me chuckle. 

By the way, you're a big Schenker fan; if you haven't already, check out the "Walk On Water" CD, the first of his reunion with UFO.  They re-recorded "Lights Out" and "Doctor Doctor", and the solo in the re-recording of "Lights Out" (I think it's Lights Out) is just JAW DROPPING. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:59 AM »
See, with Dio and Blackmore, I kind of gravitate to the epic.    I get tingles every time I hear "Look! There! On the horizon!!!!"

Now look, look, look, look, look to this tower of stone...

*shivers already incoming*

I see a rainbow rising!!!!

*shivers all over, imaginary horns raised in the air in salute*

:metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:36 AM »

There's a CD in some versions of their album Sonic Boom - not the most recent, but the one before - that has about 12 or 15 re-recordings of classic material, and I defy people to tell the difference between the original and the redo based on his voice alone.  Up until the last tour or so (where he's not what he once was) there was very very little drop off.  And live?  He gives 100% every show I've seen him. 

He's not in my top five list of pure singers (I lean to guys like Mercury, Bono, Sting, Elton John, Paul Rodgers, who all have a sort of similar, smooth, almost operatic voices), but he is in my list of top five frontmen of all time, easily.

Oh, I own it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online pg1067

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
See, with Dio and Blackmore, I kind of gravitate to the epic.    I get tingles every time I hear "Look! There! On the horizon!!!!"

This sort of vamping is, for me, Dio's trademark, and the funny think is that I would have quoted these lines differently (i.e., I hear slightly different words that you guys mentioned).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »

By the way, you're a big Schenker fan; if you haven't already, check out the "Walk On Water" CD, the first of his reunion with UFO.  They re-recorded "Lights Out" and "Doctor Doctor", and the solo in the re-recording of "Lights Out" (I think it's Lights Out) is just JAW DROPPING.

Yeah, TAC you should really hear Walk On Water. Hurry, go out and get it!  :biggrin:

The solo(s) on the original recording of Lights Out are already :jawdrop: I don't think the re-do really improves on it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »

Yeah, TAC you should really hear Walk On Water. Hurry, go out and get it!  :biggrin:

The solo(s) on the original recording of Lights Out are already :jawdrop: I don't think the re-do really improves on it.

Was it that stupid a question?   I know I had a hard time finding a copy for anything under like $15.00 plus shipping, which to me is an insane amount to pay for a single CD. 

I just know I was listening in the house on my home stereo and it literally made me turn my head to listen.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

This sort of vamping is, for me, Dio's trademark, and the funny think is that I would have quoted these lines differently (i.e., I hear slightly different words that you guys mentioned).

The Last In Line is my favorite example of that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

The solo(s) on the original recording of Lights Out are already  I don't think the re-do really improves on it.

Was it that stupid a question?   I know I had a hard time finding a copy for anything under like $15.00 plus shipping, which to me is an insane amount to pay for a single CD. 

No it's not a stupid question. Well, it is.. ;D

Podaar is just busting your chops because he knows that asking me if I've ever heard of Walk On Water is akin to me asking you if you've ever heard of KISS' Revenge.  ;D

I bought the Japanese import a year before it saw a US shelf record store shelf. I hardly ever listen to the redone tracks tbh.

Walk On Water came in at 21 in The TAC Top 50.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
it's a great album, in my opinion.

"A Self-Made Man" and "Dreaming Of Summer" are as good as anything in the catalogue, in my humble opinion.

I've always been a Schenker fan - I love those first four MSG albums - but my appreciation for him has really blossomed in the last couple years.  He's a troubled dude, no doubt, but he really deserves to be mentioned in and among the greats.  I mean at the "Page/Clapton/Blackmore/Hendrix/Gilmour" level.  If only he had a "Plant"/"Gillan", or a truly transcendent song ala Stairway or Comfortably Numb, and he'd be right there. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 10:13:12 AM »
I've always been a Schenker fan - I love those first four MSG albums - but my appreciation for him has really blossomed in the last couple years.  He's a troubled dude, no doubt, but he really deserves to be mentioned in and among the greats.  I mean at the "Page/Clapton/Blackmore/Hendrix/Gilmour" level.  If only he had a "Plant"/"Gillan", or a truly transcendent song ala Stairway or Comfortably Numb, and he'd be right there.

Well, he had a Dickinson and a Hallowed Be Thy Name by proxy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
"A Self-Made Man" and "Dreaming Of Summer" are as good as anything in the catalogue, in my humble opinion.

I totally agree. Dreaming Of Summer is easily a TAC Top 10 UFO song. EASILY. Phil Mogg at his absolute best.

Definitely. I totally agree. He and Gary Moore are my all time favorite guitarists. I'm no expert, but I've been listening to music for a long time and no one does to me what he does.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »

Well, he had a Dickinson and a Hallowed Be Thy Name by proxy.

:huh:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »
Nevermind, usual nonsense of mine based on early Adrian's very Schenker oriented playing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
Nevermind, usual nonsense of mine based on early Adrian's very Schenker oriented playing.

I had never made that connection.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2018, 05:43:21 AM »
Yup, I should really keep the campy stuff inside the SFmM Reservation Thread's safe boundaries.

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2018, 06:48:10 AM »
Presence & 2112, definitely!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »

Yeah, neither did I.  I always assumed the main influence was Thin Lizzy.   Maybe some Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash (who was closely associated with Deep Purple, an influence on Murray and Harris). 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2018, 05:46:37 AM »

Yeah, neither did I.  I always assumed the main influence was Thin Lizzy.   Maybe some Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash (who was closely associated with Deep Purple, an influence on Murray and Harris).

Main influences are undoubtedly those you list.

Digging further, I always end up hearing a shyer Schenker in Adrian (and, out of topic, a shyer Gary Moore in Dave). Thinking about it, even pre-Adrian Maiden feature a lot of Schenker mannerism. Maybe it's just me, but isn't Phantom of the Opera's chorus an almost perfect paraphrase of Doctor Doctor "Living, Loving" bit? 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »

Honestly, I never know how to rate Rising. The second half is so amazing, yet the first side is so forgettable.

I agree.

Whaaat????

Rising is all awesome  :hefdaddy

Voted Rising and 2112, but Hotel California, Leftoverture and Destroyer are all great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »

Main influences are undoubtedly those you list.

Digging further, I always end up hearing a shyer Schenker in Adrian (and, out of topic, a shyer Gary Moore in Dave). Thinking about it, even pre-Adrian Maiden feature a lot of Schenker mannerism. Maybe it's just me, but isn't Phantom of the Opera's chorus an almost perfect paraphrase of Doctor Doctor "Living, Loving" bit?

Don't confuse "Maiden" and/or "Harris" with "Murray" and/or "Smith".  Steve Harris is a MASSIVE UFO fan.  We can spend the rest of the day talking about the influence on Harris.  Start with the pants.  :). For as long as I can remember, the last song before the band takes the stage is "Doctor Doctor".    There's more Schenker in Murray's playing than Smith, IMO, but Murray is a Hendrix/Paul Kossoff (Free, with Paul Rogers) guy first and foremost. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2018, 03:49:28 AM »
You had me at pants.

Love the Kossoff call and I raise you - but it's just my ear - Martin Barre for Adrian.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2018, 04:08:37 AM »
For as long as I can remember, the last song before the band takes the stage is "Doctor Doctor".   

*Maiden nerd to the rescue*

It started in the 2003 summer tour and has been a tradition ever since.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2018, 06:24:16 AM »
Other and other

City Boy - City Boy
Van der Graf Generator - Still Life

Offline robbob

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
Went with Rush and Boston
2112 is 2112, just the 1st side stands up against most other albums. The 1st Boston album is such a Classic album, so many great songs, Peace of Mind is my favorite Boston song.

Close after that is Priest, Rainbow, Kansas, Thin Lizzy and The Eagles

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2018, 12:56:47 AM »
A Trick Of The Tail, without a doubt.
Not on the list - Wind And Wurthering

Nothing beat Genesis in 1976  ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2018, 06:36:47 PM »