1 (0.8%)
Led Zeppelin - Presence
4 (3.4%)
Camel - Moonmadness
4 (3.4%)
other (name below)
5 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Your two favorite albums from 1976?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your two favorite albums from 1976?
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:43:33 AM »
What would you say?

I have to pick Rising and Sad Wings of Destiny.

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Your two favorite albums from 1976?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:55:47 AM »
From the albums on the list:

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Camel - Moonmadness

Not on the list:

Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 05:57:31 AM »
Rush and Judas Priest
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »
Rush and Judas Priest

Yup. Two albums that significantly changed the way I viewed rock and roll. Although, I didn't get into Sad Wings until '78.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
Rainbow's Rising and Priest's Sad Wings. The stuff of legend.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:25 AM »
Disco Train - Donny Osmond
Getting It In The Streets - David Cassidy.

No, not really:
1. Rising - Rainbow
2  Wind and Wuthering - Genesis

Honorable mention:   
High Voltage - AC/DC
Rock and Roll Over - Kiss
Sad Wings Of Destiny - Judas Priest

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
None.  Not a very good year in music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »

Is TAC taking over bosk1's posts? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
I went with Rainbow and Zeppelin. 2112 was selected initially until I saw it was only 2 votes allowed
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
This is pretty easy:  2112 and Rising.

Side 1 of Boston rivals side 1 of 2112 and side 2 of Rising, but side 2 of Boston is just meh.

A Trick of the Tail and Leftoverture are great albums; just not on the level of 2112 and Rising.  These two and Boston would be very closely bunched at 3-5.

Sad Wings has a couple good songs, but the live versions on Unleashed in the East are so much better.

Achilles Last Stand is far and away my favorite Led Zeppelin song, but the rest of Presence ranges from average to poor.

The rest on the list I'm either not a fan of the band/artist or have only one song I like or (in the case of Camel) I've never heard of outside of this forum.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »
I only needed one vote. :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Rainbow's Rising and Priest's Sad Wings. The stuff of legend.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
Rising without hesitation.

Agents of Fortune surprisingly beat Frank and Steely Dan.

Don't sleep on Rory Gallagher's Calling Card, Weather Report's Black Market and Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
I only needed one vote. :)

Glad to know you enjoy Presence as much as I do!  :loser:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
Going by my top 50 of all time.

Leftoverture and Hotel California are my 2.

As a Rush fan I know a lot of you are surprised but it's my 3rd favorite album from 1976
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Sad Wings and Dreamboat Annie by Heart. Historical year for quality.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »

Is TAC taking over bosk1's posts? :lol

I saw that! :lol

I vote:
UFO-No Heavy Petting
Rush-2112

Honestly, I never know how to rate Rising. The second half is so amazing, yet the first side is so forgettable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »

Honestly, I never know how to rate Rising. The second half is so amazing, yet the first side is so forgettable.

I agree.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
Yes, thank you Kev. I was going to say that we just did this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
where's Songs in the Key of Life?  That and Jailbreak

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »
From the albums on the list:

Camel - Moonmadness
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures

Not on the list:

VDGG - Still Life
Tom Waits - Small Change

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 02:00:56 AM »

I agree.

Well, Tarot Woman is a classic Rainbow song, and Run with the Wolf is an overlooked little gem. The other two are kinda meh, but every Rainbow album, with or without Dio, had at least a couple of meh song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:41 AM »

You’re right, it wasn’t a very good year for music, it was a GREAT year for music.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 02:57:01 AM »
Rush - 2112
Queen - A day at the races

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »

I agree.

Well, Tarot Woman is a classic Rainbow song, and Run with the Wolf is an overlooked little gem. The other two are kinda meh, but every Rainbow album, with or without Dio, had at least a couple of meh song.

About a third of the first album is "meh", and one or two songs on LLRnR are meh ("LA Connection" blows, in my opinion) but I don't get the dislike for Side One of Rising.   Starstruck is a little corny, but the riff is cool, and the rest?  I think it works.  It pales in comparison to Side Two, but most rock does.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
+1 to Stadler's post, Rising f&*%ing rocks. :2metal:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
2112 and other being AC/DC - High Voltage
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

I agree.

About a third of the first album is "meh", and one or two songs on LLRnR are meh ("LA Connection" blows, in my opinion) but I don't get the dislike for Side One of Rising.   Starstruck is a little corny, but the riff is cool, and the rest?  I think it works.  It pales in comparison to Side Two, but most rock does.

Tarot Woman and Starstruck are really good songs:  3.5-4/5  stars.  Run with the Wolf is fine:  2.5-3/5 stars.  Do You Close Your Eyes is BAD, BAD and more BAD (in the mold of "If You Don't Like Rock 'n' Roll"):  probably the worst Rainbow song with Dio.

LLRnR is a more even album.  The high points aren't quite as high as those on Rising, but the low points aren't nearly as bad as DYCYE.  L.A. Connection might be the worst song on LLRnR, but that's a little like saying Vital Signs (or Witch Hunt) is the worst song on Moving Pictures.  I still like it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »

I agree.

The funny thing is that Dio thought side one was good, classic Rainbow and side two was all pointless wankery. Go figure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »

I agree.

Tarot Woman and Starstruck are really good songs:  3.5-4/5  stars.  Run with the Wolf is fine:  2.5-3/5 stars.  Do You Close Your Eyes is BAD, BAD and more BAD (in the mold of "If You Don't Like Rock 'n' Roll"):  probably the worst Rainbow song with Dio.

LLRnR is a more even album.  The high points aren't quite as high as those on Rising, but the low points aren't nearly as bad as DYCYE.  L.A. Connection might be the worst song on LLRnR, but that's a little like saying Vital Signs (or Witch Hunt) is the worst song on Moving Pictures.  I still like it.

Well, I think Vital Signs sticks out like a sore thumb and keeps the album from being damn near perfect.  :)

I think LA Connection and Black Sheep... fist fight daily for the worst Rainbow (Dio) song ever.

But I understand what you're saying.   I think both albums, Rising and LLRnR are still top tier, even with their faults.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »

I agree.

The funny thing is that Dio thought side one was good, classic Rainbow and side two was all pointless wankery. Go figure.
What the hell does HE know???   :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »

I agree.
I know I may not be rational when talking about Ritchie/Purple/Rainbow, but I am afraid ...

Ok, I may be hardly rational at all, but (my point was) I am afraid Rising side A's generally perceived lacklustre impact is an unlucky function of side B's inhuman rock perfection.

The waitress fixing my lunch every day is very attractive, but I would tend to forget her if joined to the hip with Raquel Welch.
Thinking about it, I could even forget I'm having lunch in the presence of siamese twins.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »
Ok, I may be hardly rational at all, but (my point was) I am afraid Rising side A's generally perceived lacklustre impact is an unlucky function of side B's inhuman rock perfection.

No it isn't.

Less attractive than Raquel Welch doesn't mean you're ugly. Ugly means you're ugly.