Author Topic: Your "favorite bands" evolution  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Your "favorite bands" evolution
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Been thinking this week a lot about how my musical tastes have evolved over the last 30 or so years, and what bands I gravitated to early as "favorites," and where I am now. I thought it'd be interesting to share, and then see everyone else's "evolution" of favorites as the years have moved on.

The earliest "favorite band" I can distinctly remember was Bon Jovi in 1986. Slippery When Wet hit me and my classmates by storm.

A year later in 1987, things got heavier, as I discovered Fifth Angel and Queensryche, and I was a hardcore fan of both (FA's self-titled album, and QR's Rage for Order), with Queensryche eventually taking the top spot from Fifth Angel once Mindcrime came out, and Fifth Angel dissolved. Queensryche remained in the top spot for me for almost 20 years after that. After DeGarmo left in 1997, I think it is fair to say that QR remained my favorite band (even if I didn't quite like the direction overall) for another decade. I remember when they lost me - Nov. 2006, watching the debacle that was their Mindcrime at the Moore tapings, and shaking my head at how melodramatic and totally not Queensryche their show was. 2007 was a strong year, and I think Sevendust replaced Queensryche in 2007 as my favorite. Sevendust was a big favorite already on the strength of its catalog, but their 2007 concept album, ALPHA, sealed the deal. That lasted until about 2010, when Alter Bridge (who I'd been listening to since 2004) jumped over them. I loved One Day Remains and Blackbird. But when they got real dark and moody with AB III, I just went uber-fan boy. Show Me a Sign and Words Darker Than Their Wings...man, just awesome. And they've been in that top spot, since, although Fates Warning continually pushes up against them. (Been a Fates fan since 2003, when I saw them live for the first time and heard "One.")

Overall, my trajectory looks like this:

1986 - Bon Jovi
1987 - Fifth Angel
1988 - Queensryche
2007 - Sevendust
2010 - Alter Bridge

>>>I mean, like all of us, I assume, I have hundreds of bands I regularly listen to and love. I am just referring to the band you can distinctly call your top-favorite (if you can). My all-time favorite three acts are Queensryche (original lineup), Alter Bridge, and Fates Warning, with Sevendust and Alice in Chains probably in the 4 and 5 spots, if I had to pick 'em.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

Re: Your "favorite bands" evolution
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
Starting in 1981, it was the Beatles.

Sometime in the next year to two, it changed to Styx and then, by probably 1984/85, it was Rush.

Not really sure when DT took the mantle from Rush, but in terms of catalog size, it probably wasn't until SFAM was released in 1999 (and, in the interim, if you had asked me around 1992-94, I might have said Fates Warning was my favorite band).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
Interesting thread.

In the 80s I was heavily immersed in MTV/Top 40 radio. I don't know if I had a favorite, but if I look back in terms of bands I listened to the most, it would probably be:

Mid 80s: Duran Duran
Late 80s: Def Leppard

Somewhere around 1990 I got introduced to Pink Floyd. My first album was oddly enough Delicate Sound of Thunder. Well, that pretty much pissed all over most everything else I was listening to at the time, and thus began my exploration in to classic rock.

Early 90s: Pink Floyd

Then around 93/94 my friend told me to listen to Images and Words and let me borrow his copy. I recognized Pull Me Under from the radio, though at the time had no idea who sang it. Enter my new favorite band:

93/94-Present: Dream Theater

DT paved the way for me to explore this new prog/metal genre, whatever the hell that meant, an exploration still active today. They stumbled a bit in 97 with FII, but my life was pretty messed up at the time, and my music listening tapered off as a whole. My interest in DT was revitalized in 2002 when I bought SFaM and SDoiT, and then the Live Scenes DVD. My life also got back in order, as did my love of music.

It's still been DT since the early 90s. Floyd and The Who frequently challenge for the throne, and in the mid 2000s Iron Maiden made a strong statement as I discovered them (somehow) at this time. But in terms of following, listening, and generally feeling good about their product and the guys, it's always been DT.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
We'll start at 1993 when I was really figuring stuff out.... I was raised on classic rock, hard rock, hair metal and heavy metal. My first "favorite songs" were "Here I Go Again" by White Snake and "Kashmir" by LZ. Then I got more into what MTV was feeding me....

STP - 1993-1995
Metallica - 1995-2000
Dream Theater - 2000- Present

I liked Metallica since the early 90s... but I only knew the black album. 1995 was when I listened to Master of Puppets for the first time, and that blown my mind.

I listened to DT pretty regularly starting in 1997... took them a bit to dethrone Metallica but Scenes from a Memory pretty much did it. Now Metallica isn't in my top 15. All overtaken by Prog Rock/Metal, and some epic metal acts.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
Interesting question. I don't think I can identify years but I can identify bands

Michael Jackson - First real favorite. Used to listen to his music a lot when I was a kid. First album I ever asked my dad to buy for me was Thriller.
Queen - I think I came to really know them when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I remember buying Made in Heaven first which is why I like that album a lot even though some people are not fond of it. Then I got the Greatest Hits 1 & 2 double edition and fell in love.
Blind Guardian - I was a teenager, of course, when I got into metal. Nu metal at first and then power metal. Blind Guardian was the first metal band I can say I really loved and deeply connected with.
Dream Theater - When I was in my metal phase a friend introduced me to Dream Theater playing Home for me. It wasn't my cup of tea however he didn't give up and later came at me with Pull me Under and The Glass Prison. It hit home pretty quickly from there. And it was my introduction to the whole prog genre.
Anathema - While I think DT still holds that special place in my heart, Anathema has managed to marvel me with their last 4 releases. It's music that really fills me with joy.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
1992 - Metallica

A friend played me the live version of Enter Sandman from the Nothing Else Matters B-side when I was 12.  My life is changed.  I listen to nothing but the black album for a year, and get my first CD player in 1993, which sends me on my journey into being a metalhead.  I pick up all of the back-catalog records and remember being so excited that they were finally putting out a new album in 1996 with Load, which I loved and still love to this day.

1999 - Queensryche

I own Mindcrime and Empire already due to hearing songs on the radio.  Have a late-night listening session with Mindcrime in the middle of the night as I'm in college and am completely floored as I finally got into the full disc.  Pick up the EP, RFO, The Warning and get tickets to see the band on the Q2K tour.  Front row, completely blown away.  For the next few years I listen to mostly progressive/power metal, discovering a lot of European bands and Dream Theater/Fates Warning.  I see QR nine times over a 7-year period, through the Mindcrime II tour.

2006 - Iron Maiden / Iced Earth

After Queensryche puts out Mindcrime II, my interest in them starts to fade during the Tateryche era.  It gets fired back up again with the switch in singers, but it's not enough to catapult them back up to my favorite band status.  In 1998, I discovered Iced Earth, who were one of my very favorite bands, but for some reason I just got way into QR more during that period.  I pretty much decide that Maiden and Iced Earth will rotate in my all-time favorite band slot depending on who I'm listening to more at the time, who has a new album out, and which band I've seen lately.  Iron Maiden does the Somewhere Back in Time tour in 2008, recreating one of the two concerts I desperately wanted to go back in time and see (the other being the Metallica Justice tour in '89) and Iced Earth reunites with Matt Barlow that same year.

So Maiden and Iced Earth generally vie for the top spot, though I usually favor Iced Earth, and have seen them on every tour since Matt's return in 2008 (saw his first show back, skipped the headline run that fall, then caught headline shows on each of the tours supporting albums with Stu).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
My journey went something like this:

The first album I ever bought was The Game by Queen.  I don't recall exactly when I bought it, but I know Another One Bites the Dust started blowing up the charts in late 1980, so I am guessing I picked it up in the first half of 1981 or so.  I began gravitating to other stuff on the radio like Journey (Escape album), Men At Work, Hall & Oates, and things like that.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the next album I bought was from Hall & Oates, and the third was Men At Work.  But then in early 1983, some hard rock band with a goofy name from England release an album that blew my mind.  And with the release of Pyromania, Def Leppard became my first "official" favorite band. 

Through my high school years, I began to gravitate to other similar hard rock bands like Scorpions, Y&T, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, and the like.  But I also had a group of friends that were heavily into the new wave scene and bands like Depeche Mode (before Music for the Masses), Siouxsie & the Banshees, Madness, and New Order.  It took my awhile to get into truly heavy music of that time.  But I liked the guitar-driven, heavy-ish sound of those hard rock bands the best.  But the melody and some of the cool keyboard work of the new wave artist also struck a chord (pun intended), and I would often lament that there wasn't a band that successfully blended the heaviness with keyboards without sounding cheesy.  I imagined that there must be some way to get the best of both words and create a really huge, diverse sound.  This would become important for where my tastes would go later on.

Although my tastes expanded, Def Leppard remained my favorite for a long time, and my go-to remained similar types of music.  In 1989, a guy I knew kept insisting that I listen to Operation: Mindcrime.  I did.  And at first, I didn't get it.  But it eventually clicked, largely as a result of hearing a pretty solid cover of I Don't Believe In Love by a covers band at the locally-infamous known as the Thunderbird Bar & Grill in Jacksonville, NC (mentioning it by name makes me feel like I need a shower).  It took me a little while, but I came to love the album.  But it wasn't until Empire that my mind was truly opened to this band, and then replaced Def Leppard as my new favorite.  This also was a time when my musical horizons began to expand, and I began exploring and embracing heavier and more complex music.

In 1992, I heard DT on the radio, liked them, and bought Images & Words.  Liked it.  This was FINALLY the band that managed to marry heavy guitars, soaring vocals, and complex but huge, atmospheric keyboards in a way that sounded really good.  But there was still a lot I didn't "get."  Still a solid album though, and I would revisit it regularly through the years, despite never pulling the trigger on Awake, A Change of Seasons, or Falling Into Infinity.  That would change in 1999 when I saw SFAM on the shelf at Tower Records in Woodland Hills, California.  Bought it.  Loved it.  Could this be my new favorite band?  Could they possibly dethrone Queensryche from the lofty perch they had held in my heart since 1990?  I wasn't sure at first.  But then Queensryche released Q2K, so...

DT has remained my favorite ever since.  And their influence has led me to explore more progressive metal and progressive rock, some power metal, and some symphonic metal.  I can't say I am a true fan of any of those genres a whole.  They tend to be very hit-and-miss for me.  There are a lot of misses.  But when bands hit, they can often tend to be right up my alley and be just what I like when it comes to marrying heavy guitars with layers of melody and complexity. 

So in summary, my favorite bands list looks something like:
1983-1990:  Def Leppard
1990-1999 or 2000:  Queensryche
1999 or 2000-present:  Dream Theater

Footnote/epilogue/random-related-thoughts:

I still hold Def Leppard's 3 album run of HnD-Pyromania-Hysteria in VERY high regard, despite kind of moving on from that sub-genre.  I liked Retro-Active from start to finish, which makes sense given that the bulk of it came from that same era.  And I felt like Euphoria was a terrific return to form.  But despite some songs here and there that I enjoy from the rest of their catalog, the rest of it is a bit of a let-down for me.

For Queensyryche, I love the original lineup albums through HITNF to this day.  I also truly love the two TLT-era albums.  Q2K through D2C are very hit-and-miss for me, as discussed in a couple of threads.  There is some stuff I like a lot, some stuff that is incredibly sub-par, and some in the middle.

In the late '80s and early '90s, I came late to the game with thrash, which got me moving in a heavier direction.  But I was a bit selective.  I really like Metallica from RTL through the Black Album, and don't really care about the rest of their catalog.  Megadeth could do no wrong from Rust through Youthanasia.  I have still purchased everything since, and "like" a lot, but don't love it.  A few other bands like Testament and Flotsam & Jetsam are case-by-case bands for me where I may like a few albums or songs here and there, but don't feel compelled to buy many albums.

I also grew up in the '80s with an irrational bias against '60s and '70s rock, and that has been hard to shake.  I have warmed up to a lot of it, but there is still a definite wall that keeps me from liking some of it.  Some is the production from that era.  Some is the general sound.  I still don't like and can't get into a lot of it.  Bands like Zep, Aerosmith, and a lot of Rush even just grates on me.  I can appreciate the talent of those bands, but I just don't like them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:26:45 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
1994 - Bon Jovi (first introduction to foreign music and somehow heavy music)
1995 - Iron Maiden

That's it.

Well, elaborating more on that; finding Bon Jovi's music as an early teen was a complete awakening to, as I said, music that was 1) foreign and 2) heavy, and even though I started to listen to Guns n' Roses in that time, but Bon Jovi was always my preferred act.

Then the logical step from hard rock was to heavy metal, I discovered Iron Maiden and.... well, that was discovering that a new world existed, I found one of my biggest passion in life, music, and Iron Maiden was everything I never knew I really needed to have, and I never looked back ever since. The pleasure of finding out such music and the undoubted brilliancy of Iron Maiden immediately made them my favorite band, and nothing and no one ever came close. Iron Maiden will always be, per definition, "my favorite band", period.

Does this mean that I listen to Iron Maiden all the time? hell no. Quite the opposite. Wanna now how many times I've heard The Trooper and The Number of the Beast this year? exactly once. Because I saw them live last monday. I never listen anymore to the older songs of my favorite band, I know them inside out anyway.

What happened from time to time was discovering a band, and that band becoming the "hit" band of the moment - I would find out a band, fall in love with it, try to listen to all the other albums, and then listen a lot mainly to said band, before eventually moving on to other things 'cause you just can't listen over and over and over and over and over to the same band. Maiden and DT will always be my favorite bands, but there's only so many gazillion times that you can hear Run to the Hills and Metropolis before not needing them anymore.

Bands that, a certain time, were surely and de facto my favorite in the sense that when I discovered I got fixated big on them were:

Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Savatage
Rage
Alice Cooper
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
Cool thread idea...

I grew up in the 90s and my tastes varied almost yearly with who my favorite band was as I was just starting to discover what I like in music and was heavily influenced by what 92.3 krock would play...

1994-1995 - The Offspring (the album Smash was the first CD I owned, I had it already on cassette)
1996-1997 - 311, their self titled album with their almost rap core reggae sound was different and I loved it
1997-1998 - Less Than Jake, just loved the fun happiness of ska music. 
1998-1999 - Metallica (with Reload, I became a huge fan and they were the first band I felt I needed to own all their albums and found that their older stuff was way better than what got me into them)
2000-2002 - Van Halen (eventually I discovered other 80s music and VH I found to be my favorite)
2002-2004 - 311 (I fell back in love with them hardcore with From Chaos and Evolver)
2004-Now - Iron Maiden (my college roommate and I fell in love with the Rock in Rio concert and bonded over our love of discovering their catalog, and to this day, no other band has surpassed them)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
My brain's melted and trying to split it up by years isn't working for me... but here's an interesting mix... my early years (2000-2002, when I was 9-11 years old) were shaped by Eminem, Toto, and Guns N' Roses, all three of whom I still love to death. Shortly after that came Iron Maiden, Stratovarius, Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Rhapsody, and Sonata Arctica. A few years later (around 2009ish) brought Enya, Randy Newman, Explosions In The Sky to my attention. And then in the last few years it's been hard determine who exactly is the most important artist in my life, and it's probably a mix of Florence + The Machine, still more Randy Newman, and Kings of Leon.

Those are (almost) all of the very most important artists in my life.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
Metallica (with Reload, I became a huge fan

That's like becoming a huge Star Wars fan after having seen The Phantom Menace.

:biggrin:

But seriously, to each his own and it's actually cool that such a maligned album was enough to turn you to an excellent band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Metallica (with Reload, I became a huge fan

That's like becoming a huge Star Wars fan after having seen The Phantom Menace.

:biggrin:

But seriously, to each his own and it's actually cool that such a maligned album was enough to turn you to an excellent band.

It's funny, the album with it's singles were HUGE.  Always on the radio and MTV.  It was really popular in middle school.  I went to someone's bar mitzvah and the DJ gave out the CD single of The Memory Remains to people who won a game.  It was simply just really popular and I liked it enough to get the album, and then dig further (which made me realize how little I actually liked Reload) but to this day, songs like The Memory Remains, Fuel, and The Unforgiven 2 are really awesome in my mind because of how much I loved them as a child.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »
The Memory Remains and The Unvorgiven 2 are awesome period.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
Rush, then Dream Theater.  Like pg1067, I'm not sure exactly when DT took over from Rush.  For me it would have been later.  Probably in reality it was the mid 2000s, but I think I've only admitted it somewhat recently.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
Didn't really have a favorite until I heard Led Zeppelin IV in mid-1986.  Then it was Led Zeppelin of course.

#endofstory
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline max_security

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
Mine would go something like this ,

1978-1982 : casual listener I liked anything busy... Frank Zappa , The Who , Rush , a lot of fusion stuff ( Bruford Projects , Holdsworth ) , Southern Rock too actually .
1982-1984 : started playing bass … Iron Maiden , Talas , Metallica , Queensryche.
1984-1990 : Yngwie Malmsteen and most stuff from Shrapnel Records ( TMac , Racer-X , Friedman / Becker ).
1990-1993 : Dream Theater , Mr. Big , Megadeth w Marty Friedman ( and only Marty for that matter ) for a couple of albums.
1993 - present : DT ( through the 1990's ) , Jeff Loomis , and some stuff here and there.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »
Some of my early faves:

2000 (Age 7) - Backstreet Boys
2002 (Age 9) - Elton John, Utada Hikaru
2007 (Age 14) - Van Halen
2008 (Age 15) - Iron Maiden, Journey
2010 (Age 17) - Alter Bridge

From there on out...

2011-15 - Iron Maiden, Fates Warning, Death, Queensryche, Savatage
2016 - onward - Fates Warning, Fates Warning, more Fates Warning, are you seeing a patte-It's Fates Warning. Oh and some Witherfall too.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
Wow.  I'm weird.   

Other than some ebb and flow, and certainly a lot of expansion, my first favorites were Kiss and Billy Joel.  Then, when John Lennon was shot, my mom bought me the Red and Blue albums, and Hot Rocks for good measure.   So Beatles and Stones.

To this day, The Beatles are my favorite band ever, and most of you know me to be a huge Kiss fan still.

Got into Maiden and all things Blackmore shortly after that, still a huge Maiden fan and going to see Blackmore's Night in about two weeks, front row (no elf costume, but I might wink at Candace).   Then got into Prog, still a massive Genesis/Yes/Crimson fan.   

Got into more poppy stuff after that - Night Ranger, Cars, Duran Duran - still a huge fan today.

The only really big changes are, getting into the Dead about 5 or 10 years ago, after hating them for decades, and sort of leaving the Seattle scene in the dust (except for Chris Cornell).   

I'm in the process of working on my top 50 albums, and the albums that grabbed me then are largely the albums that grab me now.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
I'm in the process of working on my top 50 albums, and the albums that grabbed me then are largely the albums that grab me now.

I'm more or less the same in that regard. I'm 25 now and I still have a blast listening to Backstreet Boys, Elton John and Utada Hikaru at any given time. I just kinda figured out in the past several years that Fates Warning is kind of definitively my favorite band on a typical day-to-day basis.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »
Tricky to be accurate with the years, though I think I've probably only had a few favourite bands.

Somewhere around the mid 90s - Oasis. They're the first band I remember being fairly passionate about. But in those days I didn't have access to music through the internet or TV, so I didn't listen to as much music.

Early 2000's - Muse. I vaguely knew of the band from seeing Sunburn and maybe Muscle Museum on music channels on TV around 2000. Then Origin of Symmetry came out in 2001 and it wasn't long before it became my favourite album and they became my favourite band. The riff in New Born just blew me away. They put out a couple more great albums over the next few years to maintain their spot as my favourite band.

Late 2000's - Dream Theater. I was first introduced to the band in probably 2006 by a friend playing me some tracks from Octavarium. I enjoyed them, but it wasn't until after Systematic Chaos was released that I started getting in to the band more. I'm not sure precisely when they overtook Muse, but I guess at the latest it was when they released The Resistance in 2009. That was an album I really didn't enjoy - whereas DT had so much great stuff I was enamoured with.

Looking ahead, I suppose Haken may one day surpass DT if they carry up their current form, but I doubt I'll ever love a band as much as I have loved DT.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »
Eh, I hate rankings. When I was like 13-17 or something, it was Metallica.

Then around 17 it became Dream Theater for a few years.

Since maybe 2007 or something, it's been Pain of Salvation.

This doesn't mean I listen to them more than other bands, it just means I like them a lot more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
1984 - 1990: Jazz-Prog drummer dad, opera baritone grampa, metalhead brother = constant music bombardment and omnivore fruition, but the orchestration's scope found in Deep Purple (favourite), Dire Straits, King Crimson and Jethro Tull resonated the most with me.

1990 - 1992: Hormonal heavy metal phase. Great infatuation with Iron Maiden (favourite) and Metallica. Hours and hours of early fusion studying guitar though.

1992 - 1996: Met Dream Theater and fell in love. Every aspect of every musical genre I appreciated syntethized in a single band of prodigies. Also, I was attending conservatory and DT was almost the only thing I constantly listened to excluding classical stuff.

1996 - 1999: Musical theatre academy. Still nothing better than DT on the market, otherwise full Broadway and West End diet.

1999 - 2012: Musical, opera and operetta as job, hence limited music RAM space available, DT still going strong and unchallenged. Brief flirt with Muse, the only contemporary heir to the Beatles - Pink Floyd (you got it right) - Queen legacy, and a beautiful continuing affair with Neal Morse, whom I consider - along with Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Mark Knopfler and Stevie Wonder - one of the greatest post-WWII  songwriters.

2012 - right now: Inherited dad's record collection and got myself a stepdaughter to rediscover music with, so I'm slowly BenjaminButtoning my way back to my infancy's myths. DT's dominion briefly in the shade, but The Astonishing (you got it right) sealed my love story once again. I'm not holding my breath for imminent changes.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 02:58:32 PM »
I would classify more or less like this:

Dream Theater / Metallica / Rock and Metal in general
--------->
Progressive Rock
--------->
Everything else

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
My favorite band history is pretty simple:
Around 1980, I got turned on to hard rock music from my next door neighbor and his older brothers; started listening to the local stations of the day and got into Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, REO Speedwagon, Led Zeppelin and everything else that was being played at that time. However, I don't remember me latching on to any single band at that point.

At some point in 1981, I recognized Rush as being a band that played many of the songs that I liked the most (stuff from Moving Pictures, as well as The Spirit of Radio, Closer to the Heart, etc.) and so I designated them my favorite band. That would last until 1998.

In 1989, I was turned onto DT thanks to a terrible review of WDaDU that mentioned Rush's heavy influence, so I had to pick up the album. It was OK, but didn't grab me right away. However, over time, I continued to listen to it and it grew on me, so that I regularly began to call up one of the local music stores that specialized in metal music to find out when DT's new album would be coming out. Took for.ev.er. before IaW was released, but when it was, I picked it up either on the day it was released or shortly afterward and had to get used to their new vocalist and new sound. At this point, I would say they were probably in my top 5 favorite bands, but Queensryche definitely ranked higher at this point (having become a fan of them after hearing Eyes of a Stranger repeatedly on the radio).

Over time, my interest in DT grew, seeing them live in 1993, 1994, twice in 1997 and in 1998. I had gotten on the Internet specifically because I learned about the Ytsejam Mailing List. So by then they were my #2 band behind Rush. But by the end of the year, with Rush being inactive due to Neil's tragedies and with DT doing the things I wished Rush would do (longer songs, varying setlists, changing songs up live), I realized that I was more focused on DT than I was on Rush. And so it was at that point that I realized that Rush and DT had switched positions and DT was now my favorite band, which has continued down to this day.

tl;dr: Rush 1981-1998, DT 1998-present
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
I have 6 favourite bands/artists, split evenly into two groups of 3. The bands of my formative years (up to about 1999) were:

Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
Genesis

All these were given me by my dad (they were his favourite bands), and I was obsessed with them until the age of about 21.

The 2nd group of 3 are:

Dream Theater
Elliott Smith
Godspeed You Black Emperor

These bands I discovered on my own (i.e without my dad) and I ended up 'giving' to him. He came to love all of them (Dream Theater especially).

Pink Floyd will always be my favourite band (my top 4 albums of all time is their run from Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall), and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) will always be my favourite musician.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 06:38:48 PM »
After getting into KISS when I was 10 or so (1978), it basically cemented me being a Hard Rock fan. Through my Junior High years (80-82), bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and Rush quickly rose to the top of my lists.

While in Junior High, I remember seeing Iron Maiden's Wrathchild video thinking, now that band looks cool. Months later, they came out with Run To The Hills.
In August of 1982 (about 6 weeks before I turned 14), my grandfather passed away. We moved into my grandmother's house for like two weeks. My father took me and my brother to the mall so we could each get something to keep us occupied.  I grabbed The Number Of The Beast.

Also about this time, I remember hearing MSG's On And On on the radio. This little song was a game changer. From MSG, I discovered UFO. In fact, I traded a Led Zeppelin pin that I bought on a hockey trip in Nova Scotia to a kid on my team for the LPs of Strangers In The Night and Obsession.

My high school years I listened to mostly UFO and Iron Maiden. Dio also became a favorite during this time as well. Of course, I was well versed in his Rainbow and Sabbath material as well.

During my freshman year of college, on a total whim, I went to Alice Cooper's Nightmare Returns show in late 1986. He blew me away, and I spent most of my college years listening to Alice Cooper. And Iron Maiden, of course.

On June 8th, 1992, two years removed from college, at the age of 23, I went to see Iron Maiden at the Ritz. We got there early to get a great spot so I could take some pics. That meant we'd have to stand there through some no name band. Well, Dream Theater hit the stage, and with 30 seconds, I had a new favorite band. Holy shit!

I&W was released a few weeks later, and I would see them 3 more times in the next 8 months in small clubs in Boston. Since that day in 1992, Dream Theater is easily my most listened to band. They have truly been the soundtrack to my adult life. They have seen me through a lot.

I list my favorites as:

1A: Dream Theater
1B: Iron Maiden
1C: UFO
4: Alice Cooper
5. (all things) Ronnie James Dio

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
On June 8th, 1992, two years removed from college, at the age of 23, I went to see Iron Maiden at the Ritz. We got there early to get a great spot so I could take some pics. That meant we'd have to stand there through some no name band. Well, Dream Theater hit the stage, and with 30 seconds, I had a new favorite band. Holy shit!

:metal love this story

Dream Theater have never been my favorite band, they couldn't pass Iron Maiden for me, but around 2005/2006 they quickly became my second favorite band and have since stayed there.  I was ecstatic in 2010 when they announced a tour together and got to see it twice with great up close seats.  Practically a dream come true.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »

:metal love this story

My avatar is a pic I took of the Ritz's marquee that afternoon.  :metal

It's hard to declare anyone over Iron Maiden or UFO. Both bands were so meaningful to me my entire life. I grew up to those bands. And they have never ever waned for me. But honestly, if I go strictly on listens and my collection of bootlegs, I did at one point declare Dream Theater as my favorite all time band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
I love that story, TAC. :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
The Offspring (1996 - 2001) - It was around the time Ixnay came out that I declared this band as my favorite. I was more than a little obsessed. Somehow I've still never seen them live though.

Disturbed (July 18, 2001 - 2004) - I remember the exact date because I bought The Sickness the same day we saw Jurassic Park 3 on opening day. I wasn't quite on the same level of fanboy as with The
Offspring, but I loved this band.

Iced Earth (2004 - 2006)  - I discovered non radio Metal in 2004, although I was introduced to it through Chris Jericho's band Fozzy in 2002. Iced Earth was an accident of just walking into a comic store one day. I also discovered Iron Maiden around the same time. Again, I was initially introduced through Fozzy. My quick silly Maiden story: I asked my Step Dad one day on the way to work what Maiden sounded like (possibly before Fozzy), I think there was a commercial for them, or the DJ was talking about them, so I asked, "do they sound like Slayer?" Slayer being the only heavy metal band I could think of, even though I was very familiar with Metallica and Megadeth, but they were on the radio so they didn't count I guess. Anyway, he replied with a "yes" or a "sorta". Either way it was enough for me not to be interested, because although I really wasn't familiar with Slayer, they were the "too heavy to like band." I bought Dance of Death due to a recommendation from the comic store guy, but it didn't do much for me. Later I bought Rock in Rio, and I was hooked. Back to Iced Earth, after playing out The Glorious Burden, I looked into more of their stuff, discovering the amazing Matt Barlow (who I didn't like initially) and bought most of their CDs on amazon in one go.

Dream Theater (2006 - present) - I have many favorite bands, and Iced Earth is still one of my very favorite, but Dream Theater is on another level. I also discovered many other bands in 2006 that would become some of my favorites like Symphony X, and Kamelot. I downloaded all of DT's stuff first, and gradually bought their albums over time. Scenes from a Memory was the first CD of theirs I bought. I still have the receipt. I'm weird like that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:39:34 PM by Zook »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
The Offspring (1996 - 2001) - It was around the time Ixnay came out that I declared this band as my favorite. I was more than a little obsessed. Somehow I've still never seen them live though.

Nice, another Offspring fan.  I was so obsessed with Smash that I made my parents take my to the mall so I could buy Ixnay the day it came out, then listened to it at my friends house who were not so impressed by the lyrics and were super strict with their kids about curses or anything really.  My friend and his siblings weren't even allowed to say fart, so this album did not go over well with them :lol

"If it offends you, just don't be offended"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
Blur has been my favorite bad since 1991.  They're the only band that I can say I like at least 90% of their songs.  Other favorites have varied from DT to Oasis to Warpaint, but nothing can shake Blur from the top.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:35 PM »
Growing up in the 80's, my favorite band was largely dependent on what band had an album and/or a few songs I loved.

Various bands that I would have called my favorite at some point in the 80's are The Police, The Cars, INXS, Europe, U2 and Tears for Fears.

Then I got into classic rock around 1989-1990, eventually getting into Pink Floyd (who at that point I only knew as that band that did Learning to Fly a few years earlier) thanks to The Wall. They immediately became my favorite due to my obsession with The Wall and then after getting Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, not to mention the Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS.

However, in the fall of '91, after mostly resisting for a while due to not like Geddy Lee's voice, I finally got into Rush in a huge way, thanks to some friends turning on A Show of Hands one night. And I was floored.  I couldn't believe how awesome Marathon was (still can't, really).  They were my favorite band within a matter of months, especially after seeing them for the first time in November '91. 

The only real contenders to the throne since have been Dream Theater (around 2000-2001, before Rush's return) and Porcupine Tree in the late 00's/early 10's before they disbanded.  Both came close to displacing Rush, but neither was able to do it.

Rush remains number 1.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »
For the record, I've never stopped enjoying the music of any of these bands, so the future ones have merely added onto the pile.

2006-09: Pink Floyd
2009- : Dream Theater
2010-13: Porcupine Tree
2013- : Steven Wilson solo
2015- : Marillion

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »
1983-1990: Huey Lewis and the News and Michael Jackson
1990-1991(92): Led Zeppelin
1992-1995: Rush
1995(96)-Present: Marillion
2004-Present: Kevin Gilbert

Honorable Mentions (i.e. never #1, but maybe the band/artist I was obsessed with more than my #1 for a time period):
Dream Theater, King's X, Fates Warning, Pain of Salvation, dredg, Ours, The Dear Hunter.

to this day I consider Marillion my favorite band still, but I consider Kevin Gilbert my favorite musician/artist/songwriter.