Poll

Pick your 7 favorite songs out of Rainbow's post-Dio discography!

DtE - All Night Long
7 (11.1%)
DtE - Eyes of the World
5 (7.9%)
DtE - Since You Been Gone
6 (9.5%)
DtE - Lost in Hollywood
3 (4.8%)
DtC - I Surrender
9 (14.3%)
DtC - Spotlight Kid
3 (4.8%)
DtC - Difficult to Cure
2 (3.2%)
SBtE - Death Alley Driver
2 (3.2%)
SBtE - Stone Cold
8 (12.7%)
SBtE - Bring On the Night (Dream Chaser)
1 (1.6%)
BOoS - Fool for the Night
0 (0%)
BOoS - Fire Dance
1 (1.6%)
BOoS - Street of Dreams
8 (12.7%)
SiuA - Wolf to the Moon
2 (3.2%)
SiuA - Hunting Humans (Insatiable)
1 (1.6%)
SiuA - Ariel
3 (4.8%)
SiuA - Black Masquerade
2 (3.2%)
Waiting for a Sign
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Your favorite of these post-Dio RAINBOW songs  (Read 943 times)

Online MirrorMask

Your favorite of these post-Dio RAINBOW songs
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:19:25 AM »
Welcome to the second part of my escuse to talk more about Rainbow in the guise of a poll!

I wanted to do them back to back (Dio era poll, post-Dio poll) but forgout about this one, there aren't many polls around so I'd figure this wouldn't clutter too much this section.

So, as per the question, which are your favorites of these Rainbow songs that are on the albums that followed Dio's departure?

Quick reminder on Rainbow, the creature of Ritchie Blackmore who decided after three albums (this forum consensus is that the best songs are Stargazer and Gates of Babylon) to make it big in the USA at the expense of Ronnie's dungeons and dragons lyrics.

In came Graham Bonnett, which handled vocals on 1979's Down to Earth, who presented a mix of commercial tracks with sparkles of the epicness that was left behind here and there (See Eyes of the World for example). He lasted only one album, and then was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner, who would handle the subsequent releases: 1981's Difficult to Cure (which spawned one of Rainbow's most famous songs, I Surrender), 1982's Straight Between the Eyes and 1983's Bent Out of Shape, with the equally famous Street of Dreams.

Then Rithie Blackmore reformed Deep Purple with the MK II lineup, and Rainbow was no more. Blackmore endured 9 years alongside Ian Gillian (kinda cheating because Turner stepped in with Deep Purple for an album and tour cycle) and then left behind Purple for good, thus reforming Rainbow: that brought us the excellent Stranger in us All record in 1995, with vocals handled by Doggie White (many would have wanted to see him in Iron Maiden back then).

This was a one time only comeback for Rainbow, since Blackmore rode off into the medieval sunset with his soulmate Candice Night forming Blackmore's Night. It seemed Rainbow was over forever, but the Man in Black felt the urge to play rock and roll again, hence creating a 21th century greensleeves version of Rainbow with Ronnie Romero on vocals. They recorded a studio track, Waiting for a Sign, which you find included here for completion.

So, pick your favorite songs out of these and talk all you want about Rainbow!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite of these post-Dio RAINBOW songs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 02:36:22 AM »
As I don't really like Down to Earth and JLT albums, I voted for four Stranger in Us All tracks, which are all pretty great in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:05:56 AM »
I came to vote for Love's No Friend, but couldn't find it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:40:40 AM »
I came to vote for Love's No Friend, but couldn't find it.

Yeah, I knew I'd leave out some favorite song here and there, but I wanted to make a somehow "best of" selection.

My picks:

Eyes of the World (one of their best and forgotten mini-epics)
Lost in Hollywood (kickass track)
I Surrender (very catchy and memorable)
Street of Dreams (After all it's a nice songs)
All the Stranger in us All songs minus Hunting Humans (Doggie White rules)

Personally I think Stranger in us All is the best of the non-Dio albums, and that one long album with the best tracks off the Turner and Bonnett records could have been enough. Surely some gems here and there (as pointed out by Indiscipline), but all in all I'm not that fond of those records.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
Lost In Hollywood
Eyes Of The World
I Surrender
Stone Cold
Street Of Dreams

Although I do like Black Masquerade, I left my final two votes for Eyes Of Fire and Tearin' Out My Heart (which has a similar riff to ITPOE Pt. 1)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
Most of you know by now that Blackmore is my favorite musician ever, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I DON'T consider the Dio era to be the highlight of Rainbow.   Rising is their best album, but I think the three with Turner as a group outshine the three with Dio (I'm not the hugest fan of the first one, and there is a dud or two n LLRnR). 

I voted for:
- Stone Cold
- Fire Dance (Listen to that vocal; my second favorite Rainbow song and favorite JLT vocal performance)
- Street of Dreams

I would also have voted for:
- Makin' Love
- Jealous Lover
- Weiss Heim
- Power
- Eyes of Fire
- Tearin' Out My Heart
- Stranded

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
Street of Dreams, Stone Cold, Death Alley Driver, Spotlight Kid, All Night Long

Online pg1067

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
All Night Long
Since You Been Gone
I Surrender
Stone Cold
Street of Dreams

Not listed:  Power and Jealous Lover
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 02:04:26 PM »
Most of you know by now that Blackmore is my favorite musician ever, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I DON'T consider the Dio era to be the highlight of Rainbow.   Rising is their best album, but I think the three with Turner as a group outshine the three with Dio (I'm not the hugest fan of the first one, and there is a dud or two n LLRnR). 

I voted for:
- Stone Cold
- Fire Dance (Listen to that vocal; my second favorite Rainbow song and favorite JLT vocal performance)
- Street of Dreams

I would also have voted for:
- Makin' Love
- Jealous Lover
- Weiss Heim
- Power
- Eyes of Fire
- Tearin' Out My Heart
- Stranded

I love Power.

Now to get Kev all riled up. :lol   I saw the Bent Out Of Shape tour and they still used the large eyes prop that were spotlights from the stage from the Straight between The Eyes tour.  It was very cool.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »
For as big a Blackmore fan as I am, I've only seen him three times, each time with his wife (and am going again in two weeks, front row, though I'm not dressing like an elf, for god's sake).  I've never seen him with Purple or Rainbow, and it grates on me to this day.   

I would have LOVED to have seen the SBTE or BOOS tours.   I love both of those records. 

By the way, there is a version of "All Night Long" sung by JLT out there (it was a b-side to "Can't Let You Go" and is on a Rainbow Anthology I have) that is worth seeking out.   I have the two Japanese live videos from them and am eager to burn them to my iPod.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 03:07:37 PM »
I too saw Blackmore only in Blackmore's Night.

Speaking of alternate version, I think this version of Since You Been Gone from the Classic Rock show is quite awesome and powerful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKW9kWAIdI0

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
Giving a shout out to one of my favorite videos of that decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0El3Dqk0wfU

Saw them at the Lansing Civic Center.  Headed out my favorite bar in East Lansing, The Silver Dollar Saloon, and who all walk in about 30 minutes later....?  I remember getting Bobby Rondinelli's autograph, chatting a few minutes with him, and then he buys me a drink. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!