Author Topic: Treasure Hunt  (Read 112256 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Treasure Hunt
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
This album will be sponsored by Nike, based on James' sweatshirt and the shoe of whoever is in the second picture.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
The other thing that stands out as a clue: Freddy signed the post "IHTHTB; Your obedient servant, Freddy Jacobi."

I Hate This Hunting Treasures Bullshit?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evai

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
IHTHTB

I Happen To Have To Budokan
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
This is more fun that trying to figure out Angelyne's identity.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 03:16:00 PM »
BTW, the only anagram from Vail Renovations that I can get that even halfway makes sense is:

Savor Live Nation

At this point, I think it would be best to consider it a red herring.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:24:17 PM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
Sometimes things you see are not clues. Sometimes they are clues for puzzles you do not yet have all the pieces for. Sometimes things are hidden in plain sight. Sometimes they have not yet been released. Sometimes patience is a virtue.
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
I like your BOOBIES method, pg1067. It's very scientific and it has a great name.

New email from Freddy! Just contains his secret link -

https://vailrenovations84552723.wordpress.com/dream-theater-working-in-studio/

...and the password works!!

Does the password only work once?  It should be "syme2009," right?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
Syme2009

I think the capital S matters
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
Syme2009

I think the capital S matters

It does.  Thanks.  I tried it in all caps and all lower-case.  Not sure why it didn't occur to me to capitalize only the "S".

The other thing that stands out as a clue: Freddy signed the post "IHTHTB; Your obedient servant, Freddy Jacobi."

As I'm looking at it now, it says, "IHTB," not "IHTHTB."

BTW, I agree this is a REALLY cool thing!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »
I am extremely bad at this type of stuff, but I will follow this thread because these things often tend to be fun rides  :tup And, hell, maybe I'll notice/think of something.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »
I Hope To Hear The Bass?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
Freddy posted on Twitter:  "So I caught John Myung looking at reddit..."  I can't access the picture other than on my phone, but it's a pic from behind of JM looking at a computer.  I can't really see anything notable about the picture (other than JM doesn't seem to be holding a bass).

A second post from around the same time says, "CD longish prefer."

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
So Dream Theater just posted this picture to their FB. With the caption hidden by design. Something looks intentionally blurred behind JP.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:50:58 PM by Nathan Explosion »

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
I wonder how far have these guys went projecting all the puzzles and riddles... They just keep on trowing these tidbits and it's been really a few days since they finished writing the songs!! Do they (or YOU, including Mr. Freddy Jacobi) have enough to keep us satisfied?

NEVER ENOUGH

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Freddy's got a reddit account: https://www.reddit.com/user/freddyjacobi

Not much there except this little blurb:

So you found my little corner here too? Well, I'm not gonna make it easy for you. OpfxuWtlass

That last bit is not any kind of rotation cipher.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:46 PM »
Obviously the reddit that JM was looking at.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
Obviously the reddit that JM was looking at.
JM was looking at the r/Dreamtheater reddit page.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
Oh, OK. It didn't specify in the above post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
You can see another tab that is the FreddyJacobi user page, though.

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
I was looking for a word typed in the url or search bar but completely missed that.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
Well this is turning out to be an interesting thread. I suck at things like this but I'm enjoying reading the thread.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
You can see another tab that is the FreddyJacobi user page, though.

Where's the pic?

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
@FreddyJacobi is his Twitter and where the clues are being posted.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
This thread is amazing! NEED. MORE. CLUES.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »

As far as I am aware, IHTHTB stands for nothing at all.

It doesn't appear on Urban Dictionary, or Abbrevations.com, and it has no anagrams on The Word Finder.com.

If I rot13 it, it says "VUGUGO," which also means nothing.

Combining it with the T from the picture gets "TIHTHTB" which doesn't seem to mean anything, either. And if it's an abbreviation for a DT song it's a new one on me!

Hmm...Rob surfaces mysteriously after a long absence just as this mysterious Freddy Jacobi person also appears and starts dropping clues.  And Rob happens to be the first person to solve the first puzzle and get the game rolling, which may be viewed as sort of showing us how it's done.  The only logical conclusion is:  Rob is Freddy.  And Freddy is James LaBrie.  :omg:
If I were James LaBrie, why would I be wasting time on some puzzle when I could be out there hitting F#s and digging holes?

Are you absolutely sure your message said "IHTHTB"???   cuz mine said:

IHTB; Your obedient servant,

Freddy Jacobi

Mine is missing two letters  TH. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:07 AM »
This thread is amazing! NEED. MORE. NUGGETS.

Fixd
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robwebster

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »

As far as I am aware, IHTHTB stands for nothing at all.

It doesn't appear on Urban Dictionary, or Abbrevations.com, and it has no anagrams on The Word Finder.com.

If I rot13 it, it says "VUGUGO," which also means nothing.

Combining it with the T from the picture gets "TIHTHTB" which doesn't seem to mean anything, either. And if it's an abbreviation for a DT song it's a new one on me!

Hmm...Rob surfaces mysteriously after a long absence just as this mysterious Freddy Jacobi person also appears and starts dropping clues.  And Rob happens to be the first person to solve the first puzzle and get the game rolling, which may be viewed as sort of showing us how it's done.  The only logical conclusion is:  Rob is Freddy.  And Freddy is James LaBrie.  :omg:
If I were James LaBrie, why would I be wasting time on some puzzle when I could be out there hitting F#s and digging holes?

Are you absolutely sure your message said "IHTHTB"???   cuz mine said:

IHTB; Your obedient servant,

Freddy Jacobi

Mine is missing two letters  TH.
It 100% said IHTHTB at the time I saw it, yes; I was typing it into different things (anagram, abbreviation finders, etc) and had to keep checking back against it. I do regret not taking a screenshot now though!

Interesting that the letters that have gone missing are the first letters of the phrase Treasure Hunt. But coincidences are interesting, too, so that may well be nothing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:20:17 AM by robwebster »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
One little funny thing is that Freddy Jacobi first posted the pic of James, and someone elaborated on that, but then nothing came out of it.... and so he had to make this post to say it out loud "hey guys, this is a treasure hunt, do pay attention c'mon!"  :lol

Kinda like when MP and JR placed the infamous Morse code in In the Name of God, and no one realized, and he had to mention it in the Budokan commentary  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 08:17:18 AM »
One little funny thing is that Freddy Jacobi first posted the pic of James, and someone elaborated on that, but then nothing came out of it.... and so he had to make this post to say it out loud "hey guys, this is a treasure hunt, do pay attention c'mon!"  :lol

Kinda like when MP and JR placed the infamous Morse code in In the Name of God, and no one realized, and he had to mention it in the Budokan commentary  :D

Yeah lol.... I think maybe 10 years ago someone would have picked up. These days the fans are a little bit more reserved about stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
I wonder how far have these guys went projecting all the puzzles and riddles... They just keep on trowing these tidbits and it's been really a few days since they finished writing the songs!! Do they (or YOU, including Mr. Freddy Jacobi) have enough to keep us satisfied?

NEVER ENOUGH

I can assure you that Freddy Jacobi has more than enough material to keep any reasonable fan satisfied.  Patience.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
After the signature, it says "I really enjoy Gronsfeld Ciphers"

I've heard of ciphers, but not Gronsfeld . . .

Offline robwebster

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm looking into Gronsfeld now, apparently you combine a string of letters with a string of numbers and the numbers move the letters along. (So string FFFFF with code 54321 would produce ABCDE... I think!)

I feel like the numbers in the URL (84552723) look like they could be a decryption key - any ideas of gibberish to run through it? IHTHTB doesn't produce anything (nor would I expect it to now that a TH has disappeared) and it doesn't really make any sense for the string to be shorter than the number, but maybe if I add the "CD" from twitter?

ETA: I just checked the website and couldn't see the Gronsfeld bit under the signature. Invisible text! Good catch!

I wonder if IHTHTB / IHTB is something really simple that's been put through a cipher already, then we need to reverse-engineer the cipher from the signature. Maybe too complicated??

ETA2: Basically with a Gronsfeld cipher each letter has to be within 9 letters of the word. The only word you can make out of IHTB is EAST, which doesn't feel like a lead. IHTHTB can produce EAREST, which is one letter away from DEAREST... but doesn't feel like a lead either.

Maybe the code is TIHTB - with the T in the top right corner of the picture?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:33:48 AM by robwebster »

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
Dream Theater just posted the original picture of James that Freddy posted, to their Facebook.
"Have you seen, the game is afoot!"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I'm having trouble following any of this. Lets just say I'm lazy.  :lol