Author Topic: SFAM: Whatever became of Julian?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

SFAM: Whatever became of Julian?
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:29:38 PM »
Maybe the listener is Julian reincarnated!  :o

(but seriously, I'm assuming this has been addressed in the last 20 years... I just never really thought about it enough to ask)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: SFAM: Whatever became of Julian?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
Back in the day someone on the old forums said it was the homeless guy who told Nicolas some details in Fatal Tragedy but I'm not sure if JP ever heard or confirmed that idea.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 06:20:24 AM »
He went on to become the Count of Tuscany.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 06:25:52 AM »
Those were the best of times.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
Back in the day someone on the old forums said it was the homeless guy who told Nicolas some details in Fatal Tragedy but I'm not sure if JP ever heard or confirmed that idea.

This is what I've always known, where "known" stands for "read it sometime somewhere and it looked official so I went with that".

After all, story wise it makes sense for Julian to want to help uncover the mystery of his death.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
Those were the best of times.

Those were... the BLURST of times?!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »
Would Julian even be alive? Or wait, he’s reincarnated as the old man?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »
Would Julian even be alive? Or wait, he’s reincarnated as the old man?

No.

A young eccentric man
Bred from royal blood
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

This is what I've always known, where "known" stands for "read it sometime somewhere and it looked official so I went with that".

Yep, same here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened. Jullian's re-incarnation would've only been a newborn.

That is, unless he just stole the body of some already existing old guy, which is kind of a dick move but whatever.

(edit: grammar)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:11:30 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
Maybe Julian reincarnated into Nicholas' wife, who also happens to be the Hypnotherapist's sister?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »
I was just thinking that.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 03:00:52 AM »
I always thought Julian reincarnated into John John Kennedy.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened.

Or is he? I was under the impression that in the context of Fatal Tragedy, Nicholas is between therapy sessions and is asking around in the present day to find out more about the things he sees whilst being regressed.

I hadn't considered the idea that the older man referred to in this song could be Julian reincarnated, but that idea seems to make a lot of sense for me for reasons already suggested in this thread.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
But that doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, but NONE of this makes any sense.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 07:13:15 AM »
But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened. Jullian's re-incarnation would've only been a newborn.

That is, unless he just stole the body of some already existing old guy, which is kind of a dick move but whatever.

Can you re-phrase? I don't get what you mean.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
Maybe the listener is Julian reincarnated!  :o

(but seriously, I'm assuming this has been addressed in the last 20 years... I just never really thought about it enough to ask)

I ran into him last Friday after lunch.  We're getting together soon.  I'll tell him you asked about him.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »

What it really doesn't make any sense is that tragic ending..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure he became a king somewhere.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »

What it really doesn't make any sense is that tragic ending..
:clap:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »

In the context of the song, Jullian had only just died, so his re-incarnation wouldn't have had time to age.

That is, unless I'm wrong about the setting of the song, which wouldn't surprise me.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »

In the context of the song, Jullian had only just died, so his re-incarnation wouldn't have had time to age.

That is, unless I'm wrong about the setting of the song, which wouldn't surprise me.

The flashback portions of the album took place roundabouts 1928, while the modern day portion takes place around 1999. Plenty of time for an old dude to be born in there somewhere. We don't get his specific age, so the old dude could be anywhere from 60-71 years old. All we know is that he's older than Nicholas.

So could be. Thematically it would make some sense. There's only 6 characters with actual speaking parts in the album, 3 in the past and 3 in the future. We all know DT loves stuff like that (and also it's just good writing). Or maybe Julien just didn't reincarnate. The rules of reincarnation aren't really firmly established in-universe. He could be in Heaven, Hell, dead, or a snail (that's he could be a snail, not could be in a snail). Who knows?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »

The flashback portions of the album took place roundabouts 1928, while the modern day portion takes place around 1999. Plenty of time for an old dude to be born in there somewhere. We don't get his specific age, so the old dude could be anywhere from 60-71 years old. All we know is that he's older than Nicholas.

So could be. Thematically it would make some sense. There's only 6 characters with actual speaking parts in the album, 3 in the past and 3 in the future. We all know DT loves stuff like that (and also it's just good writing). Or maybe Julien just didn't reincarnate. The rules of reincarnation aren't really firmly established in-universe. He could be in Heaven, Hell, dead, or a snail (that's he could be a snail, not could be in a snail). Who knows?

Oh, I thought Fatal Tragedy took place in the flashback time.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »
The way I always interpreted the story was that the old man in Fatal Tragedy is Julian reincarnated.

For a while, I also toyed with the idea in my head that the Hypnotherapist isn't just a version of Edward, but is in fact literally just an older Edward. He'd be like 95, but I didn't say it was a perfect theory. Just a fun one to think about. :lol
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal