Author Topic: Southern Empire  (Read 1602 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Southern Empire
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:07 AM »
Anyone else here heard of these guys? Australian band formed by ex-Unitopia keysman Sean Timms. First self-titled album was (and remains) absolutely stunning! And their second album Civilisation is due out on July 20th.

Hold, from the first album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWUyBSntno

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Southern Empire
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:25:01 AM »
I have their debut and thought it was good.  But then I am an Aussie  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:07:20 AM »
Love it / them. The Brige That Binds is so dean good!  Such a good album.

And I'm NOT Aussie.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
Love it / them. The Brige That Binds is so dean good!  Such a good album.

And I'm NOT Aussie.  :lol

OH YES! It's AMAZING! And there's a slightly longer epic on the upcoming new album. I'm quite looking forward to hearing that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
The amount of Aussie bands Im hearing lately that I never knew exsited is alarming.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:56:13 AM »
Pre-ordered the new album. (Hopefully) only 6 days to wait now. Although after the debacle around the Spock's Beard release, I'm a bit more wary now that the release could be pushed back at any moment.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
The physical release won't be with me until Tuesday, but I've got the digital version on my player now and...holy cow! What an album! I love the jazzy elements (solos for saxophones and violin, and bongos and whatnot). Also, it's none more prog. Guitarist Cam Blokland can play, man! Stunning solo at the end of the 19-minute Cries for the Lonely, and another one in the middle of the 29-minute The Crossroads. Danny LoPresto has a really soulful voice, with plenty of rock grittiness to it. Another fantastic album from a band that needs to be better-known. If you like your prog melodic with a bit of an edge, this band is for you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »
Just heard of this band and the samples of the new album sound really nice. I may pull the trigger on this one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:31 AM »
This is a nice little find. I bought Civilisation and am really enjoying it after three listens.  I'll check have to check out the first record.  This should be right up the alley of anyone who likes prog rock.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
This is a nice little find. I bought Civilisation and am really enjoying it after three listens.  I'll check have to check out the first record.  This should be right up the alley of anyone who likes prog rock.

I saw a review that described them as "the epic structure of Transatlantic, the lithe complexity of Yes, the grandiosity of Rush, and the catchy modern sheen of Haken".  I likened their first album to Flower Kings/SB when I first heard it.  Not surprised at all that you're digging them.  Definitely pick up their s/t.  It is completely appropriate to describe the 28-minute The Bridge That Binds as "epic"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Listened to them on Progstreaming and it was an auto buy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »

I saw a review that described them as "the epic structure of Transatlantic, the lithe complexity of Yes, the grandiosity of Rush, and the catchy modern sheen of Haken".  I likened their first album to Flower Kings/SB when I first heard it.  Not surprised at all that you're digging them.  Definitely pick up their s/t.  It is completely appropriate to describe the 28-minute The Bridge That Binds as "epic"

Sounds good!  It is definitely one I plan on picking up soon. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »
The Crossroads is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 12:24:59 AM »
Cries for the Lonely is stunning! Probably my favourite track of the year so far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »
Cries for the Lonely is definitely pretty outstanding as well.  And I love the little piano breakdown near the end of Innocence & Fortune.

Going go to work on the debut album here soon...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
Kev, you pulled a me! :lol

This album is killer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
Going go to work.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »
Damn it. I didn't even catch that. :lol :facepalm:

I think it's clear that this band is a fan of IQ.  Some of their vocal melodies are very IQ-ish.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »
But they are so diverse in their music.  Btw, I'm seeing IQ for the 1st time in October.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »
I didn't even know they were still around.  I remember liking a few songs from Subterranea, but then I was bored by Dark Matter, which most seemed to rave about, and that is where I stopped.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
Their last 2 albums are stellar.  Check them out.  I'm meeting up with,

Nick
Jingle Boy
Lonestar
DTVT
Spent
Axeman

Epic meet up in NJ.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Nice. Although epic and NJ going together seems...odd. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
 :lol

It's the friends not the armpit.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
I picked up Civilisation a month or so ago and really dug it. For whatever reason I waited to get their first album. Finally did and I can’t stop listening to it! I prefer it to their new album even! Was only $6 for the mp3 album on amazon so it was a no brainer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
Their 2 albums get played nonstop by this guy.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »
The Bridge That Binds is such an amazing song.  Best 25+ minute song I've heard in a while.  It's like there's so many unique awesome parts, and it never gets boring, and it all builds up to the "the river runs red" part and then the "it all depends on me" part.  Crazy how much I enjoy this.  I probably listened to the entire album all the way through more than a dozen times this week.  "Hold" and "How Long" are both crazy awesome also.  On both of their albums, there's not a single song that I don't like. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
Two top shelf albums for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
I like both albums a lot, but neither has got much play in my CD player since those initial listens the first few weeks after getting them.  Need to get them back in there soon.

Offline DTA

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
The Bridge That Binds is such an amazing song.  Best 25+ minute song I've heard in a while.  It's like there's so many unique awesome parts, and it never gets boring, and it all builds up to the "the river runs red" part and then the "it all depends on me" part.  Crazy how much I enjoy this.  I probably listened to the entire album all the way through more than a dozen times this week.  "Hold" and "How Long" are both crazy awesome also.  On both of their albums, there's not a single song that I don't like.

I'm excited to dig into their first album more. I have both, but haven't done more than a cursory listen to the first one so far. The Crossroads is such an incredible epic so I have high hopes for their other one.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »

Having just recently completed a small European tour with my band Seven Steps to the Green Door opening for Southern Empire and Damanek, I'd like to offer some praise for this band - their live shows really blew me away, with songs like Cries for the Lonely coming across less polished (in a good way) and heavier than the studio versions, and the guys were super-nice and a real joy to be touring with (this also goes for Guy, Dan and Luke from Damanek). It was really cool that they also brought saxophonist James Capatch along for the ride, as his sax and flute playing really added a lot to the songs. He also played with Damanek on this tour, pulling double shifts together with Sean and Brody from SE, as the two bands shared three members.

Musically, SE somewhat reminded me of Neal-era Spock's Beard and TransAtlantic in the way their long songs are structured, with strong pop hooks but also lots of really nice instrumental bits that were reminiscent of DT or LTE in places. A winning combination in my book!  :smiley:
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »
I completely and utterly forgot about the Southern Empire/Damanek tour! I haven't seen anything about it at all, even in our progressive rock media. No reviews. Great to see they've got quite a few appreciators around here though.

The Transatlantic/Spock's comparisons are also good. Like that, but with added fluites/saxophones and "tribal" percussion. A standout moment on the first album for me is the unlisted interlude between Hold and How Long, with the tribal drumming.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:44:54 AM by RoeDent »