Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 89954 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3605 on: March 20, 2024, 10:13:32 PM »
I also tend to gravitate towards Hvel these days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3606 on: March 21, 2024, 06:06:15 AM »
I need to give Andrew W.K. another chance. Admittedly I haven't heard anything by him in years and I didn't really care for the party stuff earlier.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3607 on: March 21, 2024, 06:45:05 AM »
I need to give Andrew W.K. another chance. Admittedly I haven't heard anything by him in years and I didn't really care for the party stuff earlier.

The tune someone gave Indi in his roulette was pretty cool.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3608 on: March 21, 2024, 06:49:18 AM »

I'll go give it a spin now!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3609 on: March 21, 2024, 06:54:08 AM »

I'll go give it a spin now!

it was I Made It.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3610 on: March 21, 2024, 07:45:56 AM »
Yeah that's on the latest album too, it really is such a step up from his previous stuff (that I've heard anyway). Has that balance of fun and sincerity that I tend to enjoy with a good dose of strong hooks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3611 on: March 21, 2024, 11:36:44 AM »
Yea, everyone needs to check out the new Andrew WK. Rich, I can't really disagree with anything you said. I loved Party Hard when it came out, but I never got the album at the time. I came back around to it in like '13 and downloaded all his previous albums. None of them compared to his debut, but I made sure to check out new releases.

Part of the reason I remained interested in him was his social media and blogs, in which he talked about the power of "partying". The guy clearly helped many people through dark times, has such a positive outlook on life, and is a really intelligent guy (especially with emotional intelligence I would say).

When God is Partying came out I was stunned. It's like some meatloaf inspired Sci fi/prog rock opera, and I LOVED it. Its such a huge step up from a backcatalogue that is patchy at best.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:59:32 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3612 on: March 21, 2024, 11:47:16 AM »
Great composer and producer of grandiose and energetic moods. Should definitely find his Meatloaf and stop singing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3613 on: March 27, 2024, 08:36:57 AM »
More EP artists!

Bang Camaro (sent by Vmadera/Lonk)
I went with their second album, being the one you included a song from as well as their best rated on RYM. It’s an enjoyable album, pretty accessible straightforward hard rock. All the songs are pretty good but to be honest not much stands out - the tracks I enjoy most are Night Lies (which you sent me) and Can’t Stop the Night (which has a fun tempo to it), the rest all kind of blur together. Fun enough, but I’d have liked it if there was a little more variety and/or more in the way of catchy hooks.

Barock Project (sent by King)
I’d heard Detachment before, which I liked but didn’t wow me. I gave a good few listens to Seven Seas which you included a song from on your EP, a song that I liked a lot. And it’s again a good album but not one that really hooks me in. Ashes is still a really great song, and Cold Fog is really good too. Good hooks through both songs and a fantastic blend of melancholic quieter sections and dramatic proggy sections. The rest of the album is nice enough, with some of the softer stuff especially attractive, but I’m not really finding it very memorable or engaging, other than the last minute of Moving On which is terrific fun.

Bat For Lashes (sent by nick_z)
I’ve been listening to Two Suns, which you sent Two Songs from, and she has a pretty compelling art pop style but I’m not finding myself hugely getting into it beyond a handful of songs. The two you sent are really good, as are Pearl’s Dream and The Big Sleep which I kind of love as a short closer to the album. The rest is a mix of either pleasant but unexciting songs or unusual ones that don’t quite hit the mark. The production does also feel a little… muted perhaps? I do wonder if a fuller sound might have given some of these songs a bit more impact.

Blacktop Mojo (sent by Vmadera/Lonk)
It Won’t Last was my favourite song from your EP, so I was looking forward to checking out Under the Sun, and was not disappointed. From that song, I hadn’t picked up the fact that their style is largely a sort of post-grungey alternative rock, very Alter Bridge for a lot of it and at times reminiscent of other bands (some moments on this album kind of remind me of a male-fronted Halestorm). I’ve checked out the rest and the other albums don’t quite stack up. The first two are a bit more middle of the road, solid enough but lacking in strong hooks. The latest has more of a dynamic and varied approach, and it has a few great songs on it, but also quite a bit of filler. Whereas Under the Sun has the variety and a ton of strong hooks and it’s just a really enjoyable album.

Car Seat Headrest (sent by Crow)
So, Twin Fantasy (Those Boys) wasn’t my favourite from your EP, but I did really like the middle section and so I gave the full album a listen and it’s good, but also a bit of a mixed bag. It starts and ends well, with both the short intro and that song I already knew being some quite engaging and emotive indie rock. There’s some really good stuff in between too, but not quite enough of it I think. I’m a little picky anyway when it comes to the type of indie with mumbling and slightly off-key singing - some artists just make it work and that’s the case with a few songs here (I rather like the energy of Sober to Death and Cute Thing in particular, and the two big epics have some wonderful moments them but they also drag quite a bit).

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3614 on: March 27, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »
If this is going alphabetically, I could get all my artists (Lisa-X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood) in one drop lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3615 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:43 AM »
Barock Project has a new single out and a new album in May.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3616 on: March 27, 2024, 09:21:14 AM »
No Pizza Death?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3617 on: March 27, 2024, 12:28:30 PM »
If this is going alphabetically, I could get all my artists (Lisa-X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood) in one drop lol
Hasn't noticed that but yeah, I'll likely splurge through those in two consecutive updates. :lol

No Pizza Death?
Failure to understand alphabetical order.

Even though I'm confident they won't be for me, I've got Pizza Death on my list to check out purely for curiosity. When I get there, should I listen to the debut or the recent one?

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3618 on: March 27, 2024, 12:50:42 PM »
Even though I'm confident they won't be for me, I've got Pizza Death on my list to check out purely for curiosity. When I get there, should I listen to the debut or the recent one?

You can listen to both albums in under 50 minutes, so do both! I recommend ordering in a really good pizza when you listen though, get the full experience.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3619 on: March 27, 2024, 01:07:28 PM »
If he commits to the death part he's not going to get to at least one of my artists though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3620 on: March 27, 2024, 01:10:36 PM »
they should release pizza murder (a murder of crows enjoying pizza together)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3621 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3622 on: March 27, 2024, 01:21:38 PM »
After the disappointing Grandma's Pizza I had last week, now I'm craving a good slice
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk