Author Topic: Thoughts on the Vietnam war  (Read 146 times)

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Thoughts on the Vietnam war
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »
So I have been thoroughly enjoying the epic Ken Burns documentary on the Vietnam war and its been very thought provoking. I was born way after its conclusion, so it was never something I really thought about until now, so I'm just curious to get everyone's reflections on it.

For people that were alive during it, what did you think? Were you for it, against it? Did you support it at any time? Was it good intentioned, but badly implemented, or just a bad idea from the beginning? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

And anyone that was born after, what were your thoughts as well?
Don't play with me, cause you're playing with fire

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Thoughts on the Vietnam war
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »
Going to collect my thoughts before I weigh in, but if you're interested in this subject, you absolutely MUST watch "The Fog Of War", a documentary focused on Robert McNamara, called by many the "architect" of the Vietnam War.    The DVD version is the one to watch, since it expands on the premise of the original documentary (itself an expansion of an interview with McNamara).   

Some of McNamara's 21 lessons - 11 in the doc, 10 more in the DVD version - are incredibly relevant today (and, I might offer, essentially unlearned, and no, that's not a commentary on Trump as much as it is a commentary on the citizens of this country.  We STILL, on a daily basis, actively reject the idea that "you can't change human nature".)