9 (30%)
★★★☆☆
3 (10%)
★★☆☆☆
2 (6.7%)
★☆☆☆☆
10 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Rate a song "Runaway" by Kanye West  (Read 2386 times)

Offline WildRanger

Rate a song "Runaway" by Kanye West
« on: July 07, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_jYl8A73g

How would you rate this song? Is it great, solid, bad to you??

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Rate a song "Runaway" by Kanye West
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
this is such an odd question for this forum.
i'm not a huge kanye fan but this one's solid tbh, he's not the best singer tho and some of the lyrics are cringeworthy as well
probably overlong for what it is too

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:25:27 PM »
Why would I ever fucking listen to that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
i'm not a huge kanye fan but this one's solid tbh, he's not the best singer tho and some of the lyrics are cringeworthy as well

I don’t see how it’s odd. Not all prog fans are close minded and only listen to rock and its subgenres. This forum would be boring if people only ever talked about rock music.

Anyway, the song is a 3.5 to me. Voted 4.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:58:34 PM »

I don’t see how it’s odd. Not all prog fans are close minded and only listen to rock and its subgenres. This forum would be boring if people only ever talked about rock music.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh that guy is definitely very close minded when it comes to music and he seems proud of it as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
I know he is.  It was perfect timing.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
Oh that guy is definitely very close minded when it comes to music and he seems proud of it as well.

:lol

That guy! :lol

I am closed minded. I admit it. I wouldn't say I'm proud of it. I've started to accept harsh vocals so there's that. Branching out. Baby steps.

But Kanye West? Fuck that! Proudly!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
kanye west as a person i can definitely stand behind dunking on because he is kind of garbage
i don't have much of an opinion on his music tho as i haven't heard much of it but i've liked some of his stuff despite not really being a fan of hip hop

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
That song wasn't as awful as I thought it would be (it being Kayne West, after all), but I am stunned that a rap song would feature the words "douchebag" and "jerk off" in the chorus...or not.  :lol :lol  But hey, I didn't hear the n-word or a woman called a slut or a ho, so that was progress for a rap song.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 03:16:12 AM »

Maybe because that song is rated 4.12 or it's ranked as the 58th single of all time on RateYourMusic. That's a reason why I decided to take a listen to that song although I don't care for Kanye West in general and I can't stand his personality. That song might be overrated on RYM(I think it is), but no way it's shit. Subjectively it can be shit for many people who are not into that type of music or people who hate Kanye, but objectively it's not shit, it's a quality song.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 04:05:14 AM »
I dig hip hop, but mostly instrumental. Don't like Kanye's vocals but the beat is pretty sick
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 04:27:28 AM »

I am closed minded. I admit it. I wouldn't say I'm proud of it. I've started to accept harsh vocals so there's that. Branching out. Baby steps.

Harsh vocals >>>>  Kanye West.

Closed minded guy >>>> Kanye West.

Tim >>>> Kanye West.

Me >>>> Kanye West

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »

Maybe because that song is rated 4.12 or it's ranked as the 58th single of all time on RateYourMusic. That's a reason why I decided to take a listen to that song although I don't care for Kanye West in general and I can't stand his personality. That song might be overrated on RYM(I think it is), but no way it's shit. Subjectively it can be shit for many people who are not into that type of music or people who hate Kanye, but objectively it's not shit, it's a quality song.

Objectively it's not shit, but objectively it's a quality song? By what measure? I ask as someone who hasn't heard this song and won't listen to it out of principle because it's by the Gay Fish himself. I do like that All Of The Lights song though
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Pretty sure WildRanger is at this point known for making controversial statements just for the sake of sparking discussion, and refusing to back up any of them, so I wouldn't take the bait. :lol

I think it's a pretty good song for what it is, actually impressed given by what I had heard of Kanye West before.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »

Well in the realm of impossibilities, but I'm moshing to Kayne West before I'm accepting harsh vocals.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
OK Kimdiscipline.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
TAC, I swear, if you didn't exist someone should be forced to invent you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
I've met him in real live.  He is real.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
That song wasn't as awful as I thought it would be (it being Kayne West, after all), but I am stunned that a rap song would feature the words "douchebag" and "jerk off" in the chorus...or not.  :lol :lol  But hey, I didn't hear the n-word or a woman called a slut or a ho, so that was progress for a rap song.

Listen to his poetic masterpiece of a song called Father Strech My Hands pt.1 tho:

"Now, if I fuck this model
And she just bleached her asshole
And I get bleach on my T-shirt
I'ma feel like an asshole"

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
I'd rather shave my balls with a rusty cheese grater than spend even one waking thought on that asshole. Fuck him.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »

Listen to his poetic masterpiece of a song called Father Strech My Hands pt.1 tho:

"I'm a mother****ing lyrical genius mother****ing wordsmith!"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »

I can't wait for Father Stretch My Hands pt.2: Scenes from a Memory
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »

That's an honest concern, though.   I think I might feel the same way.   Especially if it was a good t-shirt.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »

That's an honest concern, though.   I think I might feel the same way.   Especially if it was a good t-shirt.

Then I would respond to Kanye, "Take of the mother fuckin' shirt first bro"! :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
Or pick a higher class of "model".  :)   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
I'm perfectly capable of digging music outside of my comfort zone, and I keep getting the feeling that the dude's got some musical talent hidden away somewhere within him, but that was shit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 02:23:51 AM »
Has this WildRanger fellow ever returned to any topic to add his own opinion on the myriad questions he/she/it offers us? Is he/she/it even human?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
Has this WildRanger fellow ever returned to any topic to add his own opinion on the myriad questions he/she/it offers us? Is he/she/it even human?

I think that deserves its own poll................gimme a minute.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:33:04 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
I dislike Kanye but I’m always open to listen to new music, no matter the genre or artist, you never know what you will find. This song isn’t bad, just not my style. I do like a few of his old stuff.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »
I'm perfectly capable of digging music outside of my comfort zone, and I keep getting the feeling that the dude's got some musical talent hidden away somewhere within him, but that was shit.
Kanye West is a genius producer and beatmaker whose style greatly changed the sound of mainstream rap away from the gangster rap style of the 90s to the more musical, "neo soul" and lyrically broad style of the 00s and beyond. Before he was a rapper he was responsible for the instrumentals of some of the most influential rap music at the turn of the millennium. Some notable early works as a producer/beatmaker:

Jay Z - Izzo (H.O.V.A) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI4tS1lgqCs
Jay Z - Encore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBYkJMrBt4

His first big break as a solo artist was in 2004 with The College Dropout, which is widely considered to be a landmark rap album.
He not only wrote and performed the whole album, but he also produced it. This is still my favorite Kanye album:

Kanye West - All Falls Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMAjqw9HF_o

Since, Kanye's gone on to write, record, perform, and produce 8 solo albums while also continuing to produce dozens of albums and hundreds of songs for top rap artists. There is no one in rap who is anywhere near as influential to the genre as Kanye West - the 2nd most influential person in the scene would register as a dot in Kanye's rearview mirror.

So, in short, I really don't give a shit of people don't like Kanye West's music, or don't like rap in general. I personally only like his first 3 solo albums, and scattered songs after that. And Kanye is definitely an asshole in public. But people who just dismiss him as being unintelligent, lazy, and arrogant are obviously not very informed, and probably don't want to be informed, and thus are the very things they accuse Kanye West of being.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »

I think that deserves its own poll................gimme a minute.

:clap:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
Gave 2 stars, I dont know.  Not sure what is to like about this song.  It's not catchy, it's not interesting.  I'm not just trying to hate on rap/hip hop, but I'm not sure what's good about this song in particular.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of rap so it'll be hard to win me over, but I did see my first live rap act last weekend (Lupe Fiasco) and I thought his individual performance was solid, but I really just struggle to get into a DJ playing music that a band could play. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »
Gave 2 stars, I dont know.  Not sure what is to like about this song.  It's not catchy, it's not interesting.  I'm not just trying to hate on rap/hip hop, but I'm not sure what's good about this song in particular.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of rap so it'll be hard to win me over, but I did see my first live rap act last weekend (Lupe Fiasco) and I thought his individual performance was solid, but I really just struggle to get into a DJ playing music that a band could play.

I really like Lupe a lot, he's one of my favorite rappers. But he doesn't do the live backing band very often. A lot of times that's dependent on budget and whether it makes sense for a rapper to get a whole live backing band or not. Sometimes it's pretty awesome when you see rap performed that way and it happens way more often these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferZnZ0_rSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFHbC6LSLI

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:44 AM »

I really like Lupe a lot, he's one of my favorite rappers. But he doesn't do the live backing band very often. A lot of times that's dependent on budget and whether it makes sense for a rapper to get a whole live backing band or not. Sometimes it's pretty awesome when you see rap performed that way and it happens way more often these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferZnZ0_rSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFHbC6LSLI

I wasn't familiar with his music at all, so googled live videos and saw he did a performance with a band and it was really cool.  Then I saw another with just a DJ and figured that was the norm.  I recorded him doing this song Wild Child which is kind of funky and I really liked it, but you can hear drum/bass/guitar in the track and it's just such a let down to not have anyone there performing it.  I'm guessing the target audience for rap might not mind much, but I'm much more into bands and their instruments performing live.  Shit, here at DTF people get pissed if there's a backing vocal track.  I should be fair to the DJ though, he's clearly doing something during the song and maybe that should be considered playing an instrument that I'm not giving fair credit for.