Author Topic: I love everything about my job... except my salary  (Read 2877 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I love everything about my job... except my salary
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
So I've got my official midyear conversation with my boss coming up sometime next week and I feel like I'm approaching a crossroads with my current employer (a Fortune 50 large bank/financial services company). As the title says, pretty much everything about my job is great except for my actual pay. I'm good at what I do, and recognized as such by my colleagues. I get over five weeks of PTO every year, and that ends up being closer to seven once I get to take a day for each holiday I work (our team needs to have coverage for almost every US holiday because our main clients are in Europe, and I volunteer to work almost all of them because I usually don't have plans) and maybe one or two Saturdays a year for tech releases. I'm never in before 9, and unless things go horribly wrong I leave right at 6 (and even earlier once or twice a week). I've got the flexibility to work from home whenever I feel like it (though I don't often). My boss (who I really like working for) is actually in Dublin Ireland, and my direct reports are in Columbus Ohio, I've only really got one colleague in Jersey City, so it's easy to take an easy day if I'm not feeling well or something. The only problem is that no matter how I play around with my position/background/geographic location on GlassDoor, my current compensation is at the very bottom end of the range of what it should be. I had a frank conversation about this with my boss just after the new year and he did some digging on his end and while he found the same thing that I did on job search sites (that I'm at the bottom of my range), he got some internal stats from HR and that at least for our company that's not the case. He thinks I'm more likely to get more money via a promotion to the next level than to get a bump in pay at my current position. He's personally supportive of such a promotion, and says his boss and other immediate seniors are as well (he considers me his successor to run the group globally if he were ever to leave), but in a company this big with this much bureaucracy it takes more than that to get the job done. He also told me that senior management has told him that if I was ever to get an offer to leave and go somewhere else, the company would do what it could to keep me. In a way that actually bothers me though, because I take it as they value me more than they're currently paying me, but they just don't feel like paying me what they think I'm worth. I came up working in my family's business, so I've always been big on loyalty in an employee/employer relationship, so I feel like if they are going to push me to actually interviewing around and getting other job offers, they likely won't hear from me until I've accepted another offer rather than received another offer.

I guess what I'm struggling with after all this rambling how forceful/aggressive I should be with my boss about this. He and I have always been able to be open and frank with each other about my salary/title position, going back to when he first took over as my boss and I had been waiting on my last promotion (as promised by my last boss) for about a year. I don't know whether I should tell him that if the company makes me resort to shopping elsewhere, they might well not get a chance to counter, or even that I've considered just putting my notice in, taking a couple weeks off to relax, and then job hunting full time (I'm currently living at home while I save to buy a condo, so I've got plenty of money in the bank and very low living expenses). Thoughts from anyone with experience on either side of this situation?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: I love everything about my job... except my salary
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
Oh boy...the way jobs are, don’t leave unless you have something secured already. It could take you months or years to find something else.

I was recently in a similar situation. I was overworked and underpaid with promises of being promoted for years and it never happened. I got tired of waiting, applied in other places, got an offer for a better position, less work and almost double the pay. I didn’t hesitate for a second to accept and it’s been great.

Know your value and find someone who will pay you what you deserve. Obviously as long as the job is something you would enjoy.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:38:18 AM »
I've been overworked and underpaid for 10 years now, but jobs are hard to come by, especially with good working conditions.  Sometimes it's better the devil you know even if certain things aren't what they should be.  Saying that, I've been in a rut now for years, sometimes change is a good thing, but it's hard to do at your own accord.

Don't call their bluff and say you'll shop elsewhere, they will just tell you to fuck off then and someone else will come in and do your job at that salary with no issue.  If you want to leave, take your time and shop around first, don't just put your resignation in with nothing to go to.  Have a look around and you might find you actually have it not too bad, or you are warranted and you can find something else.

Just keep bringing it up respectfully with your superiors, I wouldnt' get aggresive, because really, if you are doing a role that pays what it pays, sounds like they don't have to give you more money just because you feel you deserve it (Even though you more than likely do).

When I really almost threw in the towel, I took a breath and realised what I had and what I'd be throwing away.  If you like everything about your job minus the pay, you are still doing better than the majority.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:24 AM »
It's always really hard to know what you're really worth. GlassDoor and other sites that try to estimate your salary are somewhat helpful, but you should take it with a grain of salt. Sounds like you've had good conversations with your boss about it, so really all you can do is shop yourself around. If you get another offer, you can try to see if your current place will counter, but I've heard employers don't like to do that because typically those people end up leaving within a year anyway. Do not bring up an offer to your current employer unless you are actually willing to take the job if your current employer doesn't match it. Worst thing that could happen is that they don't match it and you stay anyway. There goes all your leverage going forward.

Good luck to you! I'm in a similar boat where I'm sort of passively looking to see what's out there to see if I could make more money even though I actually like my current job quite a bit. Its hard when you may be leaving money on the table.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »
If you like everything about your job minus the pay, you are still doing better than the majority.

This so much.  Great pay doesn't always trump the negative aspects of certain jobs/companies.  I was making great money at my last company, but the last 12 months or so were absolute misery for a variety of reasons.

Careful what you ask for (ie, if you leave for a better paying job), and beware of the law of unintended consequences.  You're in the minority on many of the positive aspects you laid out with your current situation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:28 AM »
I'd second what Chad "jingle.boy" had to say. The highest salary isn't always the 'best' spot to be in. The job I had before the one I have now I took based solely off of the salary they offered me....it was a hair over $6,500 a year more than I was making at the time. And I was MISERABLE for the entire four months it took me to find another job. I knew day one that I had made a mistake. I've been working since I got my work permit at 15 1/2 years old and it was to a tee the definition of miserable. Ugh...can't even think about it.

I won't say that the aspects you've listed that you like about your job are 'rare'....but, if you have a position where you have the freedoms you do and the 'extras' like that....those things are hard to quantify into a monetary value but they are valuable and they are huge in a work/life balance. I have similar 'perks' at my current position and those are things you have to take into consideration if contemplating jumping ship for a different job.

From what you've said it sounds like you have a good relationship with your boss and have spoken to him about this. I'd bring it up again, not in a threatening 'I'm gonna leave' type way but just in an honest way of.....'I think I'm worth more, and I know the company does as well'. That may be all that's needed.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 08:02:48 AM »
I'd second what Chad "jingle.boy" had to say. The highest salary isn't always the 'best' spot to be in. The job I had before the one I have now I took based solely off of the salary they offered me....it was a hair over $6,500 a year more than I was making at the time. And I was MISERABLE for the entire four months it took me to find another job. I knew day one that I had made a mistake. I've been working since I got my work permit at 15 1/2 years old and it was to a tee the definition of miserable. Ugh...can't even think about it.

I won't say that the aspects you've listed that you like about your job are 'rare'....but, if you have a position where you have the freedoms you do and the 'extras' like that....those things are hard to quantify into a monetary value but they are valuable and they are huge in a work/life balance. I have similar 'perks' at my current position and those are things you have to take into consideration if contemplating jumping ship for a different job.

From what you've said it sounds like you have a good relationship with your boss and have spoken to him about this. I'd bring it up again, not in a threatening 'I'm gonna leave' type way but just in an honest way of.....'I think I'm worth more, and I know the company does as well'. That may be all that's needed.

Gary has it right.  It can't hurt asking in a professional manner.  I agree with Chad as well,  The happiness is the most important thing about your job.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Couple thoughts:   
- Gary, Chad and King have good advices.  As I've said here before, "A lowered head gathers no lead."

- "Do what they can to keep you" doesn't necessarily mean "salary", so don't assume.

- I worked for GE for years; even within the company, the same job didn't command the same salary.  I was Environmental Counsel for a division, and the same job in NBC was about 15% less salary, because it was NBC.    That same job in another group was 10% more, because, well, that group was headquartered in East Cockjack, and you had to travel to every company location.   So you have to not only understand what the numbers are, but WHERE and FOR WHOM.

- "Compensation" doesn't mean "salary" to companies.  It does to us, because that's how we pay the bills, but not to companies.  If they offer competitive benefits, long term care insurance, life insurance, 401(k) matching, etc., that all gets factored in.  You, unfortunately, can't go off the amount in your check, but the amount they are coming out of pocket for you.   

- It IS easier to get a bump with a job change over an annual review.  The manager likely has a pool of money to distribute and so it's a zero sum game; giving you more takes from someone else, and so he's just guaranteeing that he has that conversation again with someone else.   

- No offense, I'm sure you are very talented (I know you personally to be very bright and astute) and do your job well, and to be in the succession plan is a VERY big thing, don't kid yourself, but everyone thinks they are underpaid.   If you go in, you should have a concrete, tangible reason, not just "I think I'm underpaid".   Most salaries in companies are planned and thought out.  Not to say they are never wrong, or "pay him this until he complains", but rarely if ever is it "Oh, wow, you're right!  We had no idea!"    So you have to give them a reason and a rationale to fight for you.   

Good luck.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
I find it difficult to disagree with Jingle, GMD and King. They make great points. Advise to strive for.

Still, I was raised to believe that work is for making money. You don't have to like it or love it, you just need to bring home the bacon. I've never enjoyed what I do for these 38 years but it's afforded me a lifestyle away from the job that I love. So, to me, that's the kicker. If you hate your job it damned well better make you the kind of money you can live easily with...and you'll need to balance it with a fun, rewarding and loving home life.

Ideally, we'd all have jobs we love, that don't make huge demands on our time, and make us reasonably well off. In my experience those situations are rare to the point of being non-existent.

I think if I was in your position, I'd explore the possibility of moving to a location where the cost of living is suitable to your income (while still keeping your current job). It may not be doable, but I think it might be worth a look.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »
Weigh out other offers.  Can you make "x" amount of $ and how are they to their employees, benefits, employee moral.  Go for interviews, see what's around you. See how the people around you are, ask questions.  Gathering information can never hurt, but in the end, still talk to your manager.  If you feel they see you as "This is your pay scale" and the other offer looks good and they look like a good fit, bring it up to your manager.  Maybe they do anti up because they don't want to lose you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
I won't disagree with anything said so far.  Great post by Stads.... and to Podaar's point, my current job has more than a handful of frustrations that make me not love it as much as I'd like to, but it does pay well, and the other intangible benefits/pros to the job more than off-set the frustrations.

Think about what things might be worth to you - what's it worth NOT to have a micro-managing boss?  What's it worth to have flexibility to fuck off for a day or 1/2 day.  What is the PTO worth (cuz I know there are a lot of companies where a 'new hire' only gets 2 weeks PTO at most companies regardless of experience).  Put the focus on what you DO have - vs what you DON'T have (ie, the salary you think you're worth - and maybe that'll give you a different perspective?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Great points so far, particularly Stadler's about being in the succession plan.  If you're part of that plan, they are probably trying to make sure that you are getting the needed experience to run the shop, and may be putting effort into developing you.   If those are the case, your value is increasing every day that you are there, and it could have a bigger payoff (either where you are now or in a new position elsewhere) down the road.  Taking a salary hit to set yourself up for longer-term success can be a good strategy.

You may want to ask the boss what else you can be doing/learning to better position yourself for positions of greater authority.  Learning that stuff may give more justification for promotion, and will certainly increase your value on the market.  And being known as someone who is pushing to better themselves can only help.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
Great points so far, particularly Stadler's about being in the succession plan.  If you're part of that plan, they are probably trying to make sure that you are getting the needed experience to run the shop, and may be putting effort into developing you.   If those are the case, your value is increasing every day that you are there, and it could have a bigger payoff (either where you are now or in a new position elsewhere) down the road.  Taking a salary hit to set yourself up for longer-term success can be a good strategy.

You may want to ask the boss what else you can be doing/learning to better position yourself for positions of greater authority.  Learning that stuff may give more justification for promotion, and will certainly increase your value on the market.  And being known as someone who is pushing to better themselves can only help.

Value is huge in any job.  Even in a manual labor job that I run, it helps you diversify to your portfolio but also show growth and the want to expand.

If you ever look for another job 2 points most look for.  Longevity at a job and growth.  The willingness to take and and expand your role.  Those are key.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
A necessary question regarding Stadler's and Millahh's point about the succession plan: Would you still love everything if you were doing your boss's job? Promotions are great for boosting your income. They often have a way complicating your life, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
A necessary question regarding Stadler's and Millahh's point about the succession plan: Would you still love everything if you were doing your boss's job? Promotions are great for boosting your income. They often have a way complicating your life, though.

Especially when one has global responsibilities.  I have to start work at 6am every day, and wake up wondering 'what bullshit am I going to have to spend the first 2 hours of my day addressing from my inbox?'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
Or tomorrow,  I have a kid who has only run a shift 6 times running Saturday night and I'll be at the drive in and i know he'll ask me a million questions.

No days off being the boss.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
Or tomorrow,  I have a kid who has only run a shift 6 times running Saturday night and I'll be at the drive in and i know he'll ask me a million questions.

No days off being the boss.
And nine times out of ten they're really stupid questions. The rotten part is that you can't really complain because if they don't ask stupid questions they'll just do stupid stuff on their own.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
I always tell them to make a decision.   If it's a mistake,  we will fix it going forward.   If I micromanage,  they'll never will be self sufficient.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
Your choice.

I made in the high 50s decades ago at a Union job, 6am-2am.....unless I was unexpectedly held over for 4-8 hours if my relief didn't show, and no one wanted to fill it.  Working in the lab or the indoor machinery was great, as was so much else.  Other than the rain, snow, subzero temps......it wasn't all bad.

Left it all to move to suburbian Baltimore, and took a 3rd shift job for a couple of years until tacking on an accounting and computer class or two.  For five years after, I was making about 60% of my previous job in Michigan.   Could not have been happier.  My own office, could come in an hour early, and leave an hour or two early later that week, could actually go out and enjoy lunch with coworkers, didn't have to deal with the elements.......and I had a real sense of pride and 'team' (felt like I had left the Lions and joined the Ravens).  Had the boss I'd always dreamed about, loved my (at times) tedious work, had coworkers that I'd go to the bar with on Thursday or Friday evenings and play pool or ping pong, golfed in the company league (won the top flight twice), was invited to some of their homes, ......

Oh...until that company was bought out and merged with another my final six months.  Then I went from being and feeling part of a family and winning organization, to being a 'mushroom' yet again.   They only kept those who had 10+ years.  A year after that, the company moved the office to another state.  That might be an aspect you haven't considered. 

I did find reasonable employment months later, for a higher wage, that I stuck with for two years.  And dreaded almost every minute of it.  Age factored into part of this, as well as the economy.  Quit, moved on to a part time job that I enjoyed, and still do while now receiving a pension from Michigan.

Anyhoo.......enjoy all of the 'unwritten' benefits you now have.  Many wish they had them.  I cherished, and miss what you are currently enjoying.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
The value of a great boss cannot be understated.  As I think back on the 13 bosses I've had over my career, I'd say only 5 (maybe one more) of them were what I'd call good bosses.  Some of them were absolute shite - including my current one... he's a really nice guy, but terrible manager/leader.  There were a couple that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
My current boss(es) are the best I’ve ever worked for. On top of being very helpful and lending guidance when needed....they are the epitome of ‘hands off’. They do not micromanage at all and give me (and my co-workers) to essentially come and go as wel please.

They assign our projects and basically it’s “get them done”. We can work from home whenever we want....heck, my boss lets me get come in after I get the kiddos on the bus in the morning, which usually turns out to be about half hour after I’m “supposed” to be there. All they ask is that I don’t miss any project related meetings/ walk thru’s etc....otherwise, they don’t mind that I hang out to get them on the bus.

My job is very ‘travel’ intensive anyway with having to travel job site to job site....so our deparment isn’t exactly a sit down for 8 hours at a computer type job. But the two people I work under are extremely family oriented and allow us all the freedoms to come and go as we please as long as our jobs are getting done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 05:06:51 AM »
The value of a great boss cannot be understated.  As I think back on the 13 bosses I've had over my career, I'd say only 5 (maybe one more) of them were what I'd call good bosses.  Some of them were absolute shite - including my current one... he's a really nice guy, but terrible manager/leader.  There were a couple that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

This is very true.  And the one I have and have had for a few years now I either won't piss on if there were on fire, absolute, selfish, backstabbing cunt that gets paid a fuckton for offering no leadership, support, help and just busts your ass and always wants more.  And now has just fucked off for a month when our program is in a tight situation.  Couldn't give two fucks.

The more I think about your situation axeman, the more I think you have it pretty decent by the sounds.

- No offense, I'm sure you are very talented (I know you personally to be very bright and astute) and do your job well, and to be in the succession plan is a VERY big thing, don't kid yourself, but everyone thinks they are underpaid.   If you go in, you should have a concrete, tangible reason, not just "I think I'm underpaid".   Most salaries in companies are planned and thought out.  Not to say they are never wrong, or "pay him this until he complains", but rarely if ever is it "Oh, wow, you're right!  We had no idea!"    So you have to give them a reason and a rationale to fight for you.   

This unfortunately is something I thought of.  Keep putting your case forward through your actions too, this is very important.  Turn your want of a payrise into a challenge and show them why and as Stadler said, give them a reason.  A lot of people especially in my work in other departments, like to toot their own horn and say "I have this experience or have done this and I deserve more opportunities to move up or earn more money," while they are sitting there on their ass while getting paid doing sweet fuck all complaining all the time.  Some of these people if they worked for me wouldn't last a week, I'd fuck their lazy asses off.

You obviously don't sound like that type but management see and hear people like this all the time, do the opposite and keep positive in your want for more opportunity.  I would really not look at throwing the towel in, as there is a good possibilty you could wind up back to square one in the long term somewhere else.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:34 AM »
There’s a couple things my current boss did that were pretty cool. First off, I went to her around 4 years ago after being in my position for 2 years and made a case for myself to make more money. She completely agreed with what I had to say and realized my value. BUT....she also pointed out to me a couple things that she wanted me to improve one. Together we set a timeline and a couple goals of which if/when I hit them she’d get me a raise above the standard yearly percentage. After the (10) month timeline we reconvened.....she agreed I had met my end of the bargain and boom....10% pay increase.

Shortly after that...The second thing she and another supervisor of mine did was but their butt’s for two years to get my positions ‘definition’ redefined with our company HR Office so that they (HR) could increase our pay base. Our department has a notorious issue of the Project Managers transferring departments internally after a couple years because PM’s in other departments were making on average 15% higher salary....while we were performing nearly the same work....maybe even more intensive.

So they humped it for us....made the case for all our PM’s to be re-classified into a higher pay scale and when it went into effect we all received a 15% pay increase on top our yearly percentage.

Having leadership go to bat for you like that to make sure that their talent stops leaving them and to forteify our department and to bump morale makes you appreciate them and ‘want’ to do good for them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 07:16:38 AM »
If you like your job and have a great boss, you have won 90% of the battle already.  A good salary is just icing on the cake.  I am lucky in that I can say I have all three. Sure, my job stresses me out at times, but that is going to happen anywhere, and I tend to give myself undue stress at times due to my overthinking :lol, so I have little to complain about.  :coolio :hat

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »
You're getting "job" answers and "career" answers, it will be good for you to be clear about how you view working and what your ambition is, as it should inform your approach.  There is nothing wrong with other, they are just different things. 

-I honestly don't have much relevant experience on the "job" side, but that would seem to be about maximizing the combination of salary, good boss, side benefits, flexibility and work/life balance, and always looking to optimize that. 

-The "career" side means maybe taking a bit of a salary hit for now, but that can be fine as long as your are meaningfully developing yourself for a future role (and as long as you have food on the table and a roof over your head!).  And by "meaningfully develop", I don't mean just accruing time served in role, I mean very actively learning and getting the experience you need to jump to your boss's level (and beyond).  This means asking yourself "What do i want my resume to look like in five years?"; if what you're doing will get you there, then it can be worth it.  If not, AND the salary is below-market, then it might be time to either look, or talk to the boss very specifically about your development.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »

- "Compensation" doesn't mean "salary" to companies.  It does to us, because that's how we pay the bills, but not to companies.  If they offer competitive benefits, long term care insurance, life insurance, 401(k) matching, etc., that all gets factored in.  You, unfortunately, can't go off the amount in your check, but the amount they are coming out of pocket for you.   

Truth. My "compensation" is about $40K more per year than what I get in checks.

I hate everything about my job... except my pay/compensation. The only reason I still torture myself here every day is because packages like mine outside of healthcare and insurance are hard to find in this state. I get 401K matching AND a pension. I never heard of such a thing, at least in today's world.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
Yeah Brian.....We get a pension as well as the 401k match. Pensions just aren’t as common as they used to be.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 07:41:33 AM »
Yeah Brian.....We get a pension as well as the 401k match. Pensions just aren’t as common as they used to be.

How is your pension? Ours really doesn't become anything of real value unless you're here for a long, long time. It increases exponentially with age and time of employment. After 3.5 years, mine's only worth something like $2900 at this point. But if I were to somehow stay here util the age of 64, it'll be worth something like $460K. I have a hard time picturing myself being here that long though.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »

How is your pension? Ours really doesn't become anything of real value unless you're here for a long, long time. It increases exponentially with age and time of employment. After 3.5 years, mine's only worth something like $2900 at this point. But if I were to somehow stay here util the age of 64, it'll be worth something like $460K. I have a hard time picturing myself being here that long though.

I have to be honest with you....I don't know the full details. I know that after 5 years of employment (I've been here 6 years) that your fully vested....but outside of knowing that I don't really have a full grasp of what all that entails. Honestly....at this point in my career it's so irrelevant given how far off I am from retirement I've not taken the time to research what all our pension plan provides. For all I know it's a Yeti mug and a gold leafed 'thanks for your service' card.

I feel fortunate to have a pension included in my benefits and now feel the compulsion to try and figure out what that even means  :lol

***EDIT***
Just spent a bit online taking a peek at our pension plan....did an estimate exercise of 'if' I retire at 65....from my current employer and get a minimum of 2.5% pay increase each year.....I'd be looking at a $2,878.67 annuity payment each month. My retirement year (if I retire at 65) is 2041. So, right now $2900 extra bucks a month looks sweet in my eyes but I don't know what my 401k will be at that time or what the cost of living will be by then. Either way....it 'feels' like free money.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:44:39 PM by gmillerdrake »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
Well you seem to enjoy the job and you mentioned having a nice savings account from living at home, so I wonder if the money thing is just a number and not really actually meaningful to you personally?  Like do you need that extra money to move out?  I feel like if the drive for more money is more than just because you want more (and nothing wrong with that) then you are going to have to leave for another job, but as others have stated, the grass isn't always greener.  I'd take a look at what you really want out of your life.  Do you need that extra money to survive?  Do you want it because you feel you deserve it?  Your boss seems cool for having these conversations, but given they explicitly said get another offer.  It sounds like they dumped this on you to prove your worth from someone else.  Sucks, but at least you know where you stand there.  A happy and overall good job with security and a future may be much better than an extra 10k a year (I have no idea how underpaid you are, but just saying). 

As for the full compensation discussion, I left my old job for my current one with a slightly less salary, but the overall benefits package was light years better than my old job.  Made it an easy decision even if my base pay took a hit, which I have no surpassed via raises and a promotion over the years.  But you can't forget the 401k, PTO, insurance, and whatever other bells and whistles you may have when considering compensation.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
Thanks guys, lots of good feedback and advice so far. Some more thoughts...

- I've been underpaid since I started in this role but I had been looking for a job for a while after grad school and I knew I needed to get my foot in the door somewhere. In the 5.5 years since then my salary has jumped ~75% from where I started, with the last big bump coming at the 4 year mark. That promotion, to my current title of Assistant Vice President, was a drawn out 18 month process where my boss at the time (one before my current boss) kept telling me how I was doing the work of an AVP and deserved to be one and he was going to make that happen for me. Having dealt with that I'm wary of being strung along again.

- The push for this comes from the fact that I've been living at home and paying off my student loans (entirely debt financed my Master's ), and now that I'm finally done with that I'm looking to move out. Ideally I'd stay home another year or so and save to buy a condo rather than just paying rent every month, but either way this is a fairly expensive area to live in, so being paid a little below market value is more of a problem now than it was a year ago.

- Part of my problem is that I'm loathe to start interviewing around because as someone who's fairly introverted I both hate the process and I'm not particularly good at it :lol

- I don't remember the exact wording of the conversation with my boss at year end, but it was something to the effect of that the company would find some more money if I got an offer somewhere else, just that he couldn't promise they'd match. Not so much telling me to look elsewhere, but just saying that if I do they'd make an effort to keep me.

- Career-wise there are some interesting opportunities if I stay where I am. In the near term some project work over the second half of this year that should give me a chance to get some more experience doing more project work (I primarily focus on overseeing our BAU activities). Then there will be some major client onboarding next year that I would likely play a major role in that would have significant visibility with senior management.

- I should have some concrete points of discussion for my mid year. Aside from a major 300K per year cost savings project that we launched in March (my boss's idea but I did a lot of the leg work in terms of building out and testing), I delivered another 120K annual savings via another project I thought of and implemented myself while my boss was out on paternity leave (I ran the team globally for three months while he was out). If nothing else, I'd argue that should entitle me to a generous bonus, which could tide me over another year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 04:56:07 AM »
- Part of my problem is that I'm loathe to start interviewing around because as someone who's fairly introverted I both hate the process and I'm not particularly good at it :lol

The change factor is what's kept me in my current role for years, however reading this line, if this is the type of person you are, perhaps you need to work on selling yourself more and being a bit more confident in the workplace?  Not saying you aren't but how you come across could weigh in on your peers and bosses.  If you seem to lack confidenence and are introverted, how would you expect them to put more time and money into you week by week?  You may be good at your job, but getting ahead takes more than that these days.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 06:00:00 AM »

The change factor is what's kept me in my current role for years, however reading this line, if this is the type of person you are, perhaps you need to work on selling yourself more and being a bit more confident in the workplace?  Not saying you aren't but how you come across could weigh in on your peers and bosses.  If you seem to lack confidenence and are introverted, how would you expect them to put more time and money into you week by week?  You may be good at your job, but getting ahead takes more than that these days.

Good point.  My parents have always said this to me as well as they know I am an introvert too.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »

Time to own your introversion!
https://smile.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531927694&sr=8-2&keywords=quiet

perhaps you need to work on selling yourself more

:zydar:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't have a problem selling myself so much at my current job. I'm confident in the job I've done/am doing and have no problem communicating that. I'm just terribly introverted with unfamiliar people/in unfamiliar settings. So send me to an unfamiliar office to interview and answer unknown questions with random people, and I turn super timid.

As a bit of an update, I had my official midyear conversation with my boss on Friday, which was overall very positive. It also turns out that it's just been finalized that his boss will be moving over to run some other groups, and my boss will become in charge of not just our team, but the adjacent functioning teams that his boss also currently oversees. While he was very noncommittal about exactly how things will change, structure wise, he said he can't imagine wanting to end up managing his current seven reports, plus probably an equal amount from the other team(s). So there will likely be a situation where he puts someone else in charge of the team globally. He also said that I would be the frontrunner, because while nobody checks all the different boxes in terms of knowledge, I clearly check more than anybody else. Would mean going from having two people report to me directly in Ohio to having at least six (and soon to be more) people reporting to me between Ohio, Dublin, and Singapore (exact # tbd based on the number of new hires we get for incoming work and exactly how the team ends up getting structured. Would certainly be a big opportunity, so I'm going to give him a couple months to get the lay of the land with these new teams he's taking over and then reach out to him in the fall if I haven't heard anything.
Photobucket sucks.