Author Topic: Thoughts of Jordan Rudess  (Read 8437 times)

Offline dreamthr

Thoughts of Jordan Rudess
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:45:37 PM »
I recently posted my feelings how Dream Theater is not the same band since Mike Portnoy left. As with most teams (music & sports), when the star leaves, he is replaced. Everyone is replaceable; perhaps with the exception of Derek Jeter. The result could be positive of negative. For me, Mike Portnoy leaving DT was negative; they are just different now. They are missing something.

On the other hand, Kevin Moore the keyboardist on "Images and Words" and "Awake" (considered by many as DT's best album) suddenly left the band and his replacement Derek Sherinian lasted one studio album. Then along came Jordan Rudess, a Julliard prodigy, and an incredible player. Jordan just killed both earlier DT keyboardists, and his presence greatly improved the band. This time, a replacement in DT was definitely a positive one and Jordan's impact on "Scenes from a Memory" put DT back on the map of great progressive rock bands. And it has continued to the present. Jordan Rudess is easily the best musician in Dream Theater. He's just brilliant.

Now this may shock you. I feel that Jordan is not only rock music's best keyboardist today, but after serious thought, I have to say Jordan is a better player than the great Keith Emerson was. This opinion comes from a keyboardist (me) that said "Thank you for changing my life" when I first met Keith Emerson. I was speaking not only for myself, but for the thousands of keyboard players that feel the same way. Keith Emerson took the ignored keyboardist from behind the drummer and made them recognizable. He was the first keyboardist to be a band's frontman that wasn't a guitarist or singer. He changed the musical world for keyboardists everywhere.

Nevertheless, Jordan is the greatest player I've ever heard. However, he will never attain the legacy status Keith Emerson did. After all, Keith composed "Tarkus" and "Pirates"; enough said.

Dream Theater's addition of Jordan Rudess is without a doubt the most important change in Dream Theater's history. He's made them a better band, and better musicians, year after year. And yes, he does blow away his fellow bandmates, whether you agree with that or not.

Online MirrorMask

Re: Thoughts of Jordan Rudess
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
What's wrong with the standard font size?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Jeter was replaceable. Have you noticed how good the Yankees are? Gregorious is better offensively and defensively.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:12:13 AM by Dream Team »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
Gregarious is better offensively and defensively.

I have mad respect for that guy. This, from Red Sox Nation.

What's wrong with the standard font size?

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 06:11:06 PM »
Jordan is the greatest keyboard alive in rock and metal music, and one of the best pianists on the planet in general. His talent is something only a few people can achieve with a lifetime of practice - he has always been a natural at the instrument and people like him come around very, very rarely. DT is extremely lucky to have a musician of his caliber in the group, and that's not even taking into account his friendly, kind personality, and how humble he comes across with his playing. He knows he's super awesome at what he does but never ever bashes it over people's heads or is arrogant about it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
Jeter sucks, fuck the Yankees.

:heart JR

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
Jeter sucks, fuck the Yankees.

:heart,  TAC
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
Jeter was replaceable.

His leadership isn’t.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
They seem to be doing just fine without it, as opposed to the last couple of years he was with them.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »
My only problem with Jordan Rudess is that sometimes he plays a lot more notes than the music calls for. Specially with his solo music. But beyond that he’s a great musician
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:55 PM »
Man, the odds I would have given you on Didi Gregorius coming up within 2 replies of a thread about Jordan Rudess :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline dreamthr

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
That's what forums are like. After about 10 thread replies, the subject goes off topic.

BTW: Is LeBron James irreplaceable?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
Man, the odds I would have given you on Didi Gregorius coming up within 2 replies of a thread about Jordan Rudess :lol :lol

Well, in my defense he name-dropped Jeter . . .

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
That's what forums are like. After about 10 thread replies, the subject goes off topic.

Right and the font size returns to normal

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
Everybody may not be replaceable, but everybody is expendable.

Back on topic. Jordan is the best musician in DT. Not taking anything away from the rest of the band, but think about what he brought into the band when he joined and what he has taught the band over the years in terms of music. I believe he's made the band better in terms of musicianship.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 08:01:09 AM »
Back on topic. Jordan is the best musician in DT. Not taking anything away from the rest of the band, but think about what he brought into the band when he joined and what he has taught the band over the years in terms of music. I believe he's made the band better in terms of musicianship.

Cool that you feel that way.  And I can't really disagree.  But I can't really agree either.  They ALL bring a LOT of musicianship to the table.  I can't really say who is "THE greatest" among them.  I feel that doing that for any of the band members either diminishes what the others bring to the table or has an overly restrictive and narrow definition of "musicianship."  Does the fact that John Myung almost exclusively plays a traditionally noncompositional instrument, or that he isn't as talented on the piana as Jordan is, mean that he brings less musicianship to the band?  I wouldn't say so.  And I don't think Jordan would either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

Cool that you feel that way.  And I can't really disagree.  But I can't really agree either.  They ALL bring a LOT of musicianship to the table.  I can't really say who is "THE greatest" among them.  I feel that doing that for any of the band members either diminishes what the others bring to the table or has an overly restrictive and narrow definition of "musicianship."  Does the fact that John Myung almost exclusively plays a traditionally noncompositional instrument, or that he isn't as talented on the piana as Jordan is, mean that he brings less musicianship to the band?  I wouldn't say so.  And I don't think Jordan would either.

I agree with you there.

To me, Jordan brought a new level into the band that it didn't have before. I think it upped the game of the others. I wonder what the band would say has been the result for them as musicians of having Jordan in the band for 19 years now.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
What Jordan brought to the table is hugely obvious to all and sundry, but let me submit a little theory of mine so you guys can tell me whether I am crazy or I am crazy but marginally on to something.

Among countless contributes, Rudess brought a very distinctive compositional trend, almost a staple after roughly twenty years. Every time a song (or a section of it) acts as emotional centre or as a story's turning point, or is just gunning for a deep personal feeling/experience, they unsheath the 3/4-6/8 (or ternary anyway) signature. Think The Spirit Carries On, Losing Time/Grand Finale, In the Name of God, ANTR's Agony segment, TCOT exit, to This Is the Life, Along for the Ride, HoaTV's Glorious Sound section and other instances I'm probably forgetting.

I tend to chalk this up to Jordan because it has never happened (with such frequency at least) before 1999.

EDIT: Typo Demon kindly go to hell.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:46:08 AM »
My only problem with Jordan Rudess is that sometimes he plays a lot more notes than the music calls for. Specially with his solo music. But beyond that he’s a great musician

I feel the same way. Jordan is a beast but I sometimes feel that the music would be better with less notes, that the melodies would work a little better.

Regarding the topic, Jordan is the best Keyboardist DT has had, and probably the best keyboardist period, but Kevin Moore brought something to the mix that was really special, he had a great notion of how to add an interesting and mood filled layer to the music with simple elements. I miss that very much.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

Now this may shock you. I feel that Jordan is not only rock music's best keyboardist today, but after serious thought, I have to say Jordan is a better player than the great Keith Emerson was. This opinion comes from a keyboardist (me) that said "Thank you for changing my life" when I first met Keith Emerson. I was speaking not only for myself, but for the thousands of keyboard players that feel the same way. Keith Emerson took the ignored keyboardist from behind the drummer and made them recognizable. He was the first keyboardist to be a band's frontman that wasn't a guitarist or singer. He changed the musical world for keyboardists everywhere.

Nevertheless, Jordan is the greatest player I've ever heard. However, he will never attain the legacy status Keith Emerson did. After all, Keith composed "Tarkus" and "Pirates"; enough said.

Dream Theater's addition of Jordan Rudess is without a doubt the most important change in Dream Theater's history. He's made them a better band, and better musicians, year after year. And yes, he does blow away his fellow bandmates, whether you agree with that or not.

As Emerson is my favorite rock keyboardist, I think about him and Jordan quite a bit. One thing that Jordan has over Emerson is that Jordan has always been willing to master newer technologies whereas Emerson in his later years was kind of set in his ways.

For the most part, I've always thought Jordan's talent has been underutilized in the band too.  The solo albums give you a better indication of that he's capable of doing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
Jordan's cover of Tarkus is a testament to his musical prowess. Holy freaking crap that's a monumental undertaking.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evai

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
He's a great composer and awesome guy :) Solos aren't particulary my taste, they tyically consist of [Big pitch bend with feeling] - [Note soup] - [Big pitch bend with feeling] - [Note soup] but I get the idea of it
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »

I feel the same way. Jordan is a beast but I sometimes feel that the music would be better with less notes, that the melodies would work a little better.

Regarding the topic, Jordan is the best Keyboardist DT has had, and probably the best keyboardist period, but Kevin Moore brought something to the mix that was really special, he had a great notion of how to add an interesting and mood filled layer to the music with simple elements. I miss that very much.

Agree with all of this.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Jordan's cover of Tarkus is a testament to his musical prowess. Holy freaking crap that's a monumental undertaking.

Which version? I haven't really found one that I'm impressed with. It's not really Jordan's fault either. Is there a version out there with musicians in comparable to him?

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
Jordan is the greatest keyboard alive in rock and metal music, and one of the best pianists on the planet in general. His talent is something only a few people can achieve with a lifetime of practice - he has always been a natural at the instrument and people like him come around very, very rarely. DT is extremely lucky to have a musician of his caliber in the group, and that's not even taking into account his friendly, kind personality, and how humble he comes across with his playing. He knows he's super awesome at what he does but never ever bashes it over people's heads or is arrogant about it.
Yeah really humble I was only able to talk to him very briefly in a Meet and greet last year, very personable. I am not a Keyboardist but I would love to have a some few lessons for orchestration and music theory with the guy. 

It would be a sad day when the time comes for that man to retire. 
And she listens openly

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »

Imagine having written it...;)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

I've been listening to Tarkus a lot lately. I never knew Ruddess recorded a version of it. I must hear this ASAP.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »

I've been listening to Tarkus a lot lately. I never knew Ruddess recorded a version of it. I must hear this ASAP.

He also does a kick ass version of Hoedown on the Magna Carta Tribute.   For those that want to got there Derek play Tarkus on that tribute with James signing it. Portnoy is also on a few ELP tracks.

Same formula though. Get everyone signed to that label and get them involved recording tribute albums.  Great for the fans and the label but probably not very good for the artists as it turned out.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
So - I bumped this thread because, aside from the two threads about Jordan's solos, I think we need to discuss/track Jordan's guitar playing!  :metal

He's a talented guy for sure - but dang, he's picking up mad skills on guitar rather quickly. And, amassing a collection of shred-orientated guitars rather quickly as well. He just got a new purple Strandberg 7 string!

Is he going to have his next solo album contain massive riffs and sweep-picking passages to rule us all? Will the next DT release have dueling guitar leads and amazing guitar harmony passages?

He seems rather stoked and excited to be learning new stuff. Just thought this would be a great place to post and discuss it as it happens.

Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline HOF

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »
So - I bumped this thread because, aside from the two threads about Jordan's solos, I think we need to discuss/track Jordan's guitar playing!  :metal

He's a talented guy for sure - but dang, he's picking up mad skills on guitar rather quickly. And, amassing a collection of shred-orientated guitars rather quickly as well. He just got a new purple Strandberg 7 string!

Is he going to have his next solo album contain massive riffs and sweep-picking passages to rule us all? Will the next DT release have dueling guitar leads and amazing guitar harmony passages?

He seems rather stoked and excited to be learning new stuff. Just thought this would be a great place to post and discuss it as it happens.

Hasn’t Jordan been playing guitar for years? I seem to remember it being talked about back when he joined the band.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »

Hasn’t Jordan been playing guitar for years? I seem to remember it being talked about back when he joined the band.

I think so - but it seems that since the beginning of November or just before that, Jordan has been posting frequently about practicing guitar and having lessons and getting going on his "guitar journey" While he may have dabbled in it previously, it appears he's upped his dedication to shred these days ;)
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
I know he's gotten several lessons from JP lately. Between that and his musical knowledge from playing the keys/piano all of his life, he won't have much of a problem getting good on guitar.

Back to the original post. I don't think it's fair to say that JR blows away his fellow bandmates as a musician. To me every member of DT is just as accomplished as the other and are equally as good on their respective instruments.  MM is equally as good on the drums, JP is equally as good on guitar, JM on bass, JLB is a excellent singer.  That's why DT is such a powerhouse. 

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 11:01:34 AM »
Well, you could have started a new thread for that, since it would be a completely different topic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
Jeter was replaceable. Have you noticed how good the Yankees are? Gregorious is better offensively and defensively.

LOL...fucking what???   :lol :lol :lol

For starters, Gregorious isn't on the Yankees and hasn't been since 2019.  Gregorious had 3 1/2 decent seasons with the Yankees, but he isn't fit to put pine tar on Jeter's bat.  I'll give you that he MIGHT have been a marginally better defender, but Jeter's intangibles were off any chart.  Didi Gregorious has never even been voted or named to play in an all-star game.  No Gold Gloves (Jeter had 5).  No Silver Sluggers (Jeter had 5).  No postseason accolades.

That said, I don't disagree with this AT ALL:

fuck the Yankees.

Anyway...

Yeah, Jordan Rudess is pretty damn good.  He helped resurrect a floundering band.

I don't like the idea of comparing him to Emerson, though.  Rudess is obviously a far more traditionally educated musician, but I think that makes Emerson all the more impressive.  To write something like Tarkus and the myriad other pieces he wrote with only minimal formal musical education and virtually no stylistic progenitors is absolutely staggering.  We probably don't see more than 25-40% of Rudess in DT (and I don't pay attention to his solo stuff).  Suffice to say, both are/were absolute monsters.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »

That said, I don't disagree with this AT ALL:

fuck the Yankees.

Works for me too.