Author Topic: Classical piece reference  (Read 670 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Classical piece reference
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »
DT fans I need your collective knowledge.

So while I was still in college years ago, on one of my music history classes we heard a piece of music. The first thing I noticed was that symphony X copied/referenced one part of this piece of music and I can’t remember for the life of me which piece of music it was. Here is all that I got:

-piece of music is from the romantic period 1830s - 1880 or so.
-it might have been composed by Tchaikovsky or someone similar from that period
-I think the piece was a movement from a symphony
-the song from symphony X is “Seven” from Paradise Lost. It’s the last 10 seconds of the song.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Classical piece reference
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
There are a lot of classical references in their repertoire but I'm drawing a total blank there. Those last 10 seconds are a pretty common descending run that could be out of anything, to me. Would like to know this too.

This might not answer your question, but it might interest you if you haven't already seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGT6MKrDJy4
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:10:48 AM »
Pretty standard cadence, you'll find it - for example - in about every Hungarian Czardas piece.

If you're gunning for symphonies, on the top of my head - hence I'm probably horribly misremembering and you shouldn't trust me - I'd say Tchaikovsky 5 and Brahms 4, probably around the allegro movements.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:09:49 AM »
Have no idea but it's an interesting question. I instantly thought of some violin concerto hearing that section in Seven but I can't pinpoint anything.

I just realised I haven't listen to SX for some time and I got the urge back now, so thx man!  :lol :tup
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:36:08 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »
Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony 3rd movement. Took me going back to my anthology books and searching  for few hours but that was worth it. Forgot how good this piece is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bviS_Wt3L6M
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 03:21:07 AM »
Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony 3rd movement. Took me going back to my anthology books and searching  for few hours but that was worth it. Forgot how good this piece is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bviS_Wt3L6M

Indeed, you have this absolutely rip-roaring, barnstorming music, with one of Tchaikovsky's great "big finishes"...and then immediately he brings us crashing right down into the Adagio lamentoso finale with some of the most gut-wrenchingly sad music ever written. Emotional whiplash.