Poll

Which Never Before Played Iron Maiden Songs Would You Want to See?

Prodigal Son
9 (4.6%)
Invaders
15 (7.7%)
Gangland
1 (0.5%)
Quest for Fire
3 (1.5%)
Sun and Steel
8 (4.1%)
Flash of the Blade
16 (8.2%)
The Duelists
10 (5.2%)
Back in the Village
8 (4.1%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (7.2%)
Deja Vu
12 (6.2%)
Alexander the Great
33 (17%)
The Prophecy
12 (6.2%)
Only the Good Die Young
21 (10.8%)
Fates Warning
1 (0.5%)
Run Silent Run Deep
7 (3.6%)
Mother Russia
5 (2.6%)
Fear is the Key
0 (0%)
Childhood's End
2 (1%)
The Fugitive
2 (1%)
Chains of Misery
0 (0%)
The Apparition
1 (0.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
13 (6.7%)
Weekend Warrior
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Songs Not Played Live  (Read 1791 times)

Offline pg1067

Iron Maiden Songs Not Played Live
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
Inspired by the other Iron Maiden thread currently running...simple question.  Unless I missed something, there are 23 "classic era" Maiden songs (i.e., from the debut album through Fear of the Dark) that have never been played live.  Which do you want to see?  I chose the following:

Invaders
Sun and Steel
The Duelists
Deja Vu
Alexander the Great
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Songs Not Played Live
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
I chose three guitar driven songs:

The Duelists
Deja Vu
Only The Good Die Young

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Alexander the Great

This tops my list. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
Alexander the Great has never been played live?? Wow that's surprises me. On certain days it's my all-time favourite Iron Maiden song. Really shocked to hear they've never performed it live, I thought it was considered a Maiden classic.

Anyway, AtG obviously gets my vote, and in 2nd place would be Flash of the Blade. Always had a soft spot for that one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
My picks:

Alexander the Great
Only the good die young

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online DTA

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »
Alexander The Great
The Duellists
Only The Good Die Young
Run Silent Run Deep (most underrated Maiden song ever)
Judas Be My Guide

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Loneliness has been played live...

Run Silent Run Deep (most underrated Maiden song ever)
Totally with you on this. Even has the only Maiden mosh part at 2:20. A brilliant chorus.

My picks:
The Duellists
Run Silent Run Deep
Childhood's End
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »
I went with:

Back in the Village
Deja Vu
Alexander
Only the Good Die Young
Judas be my Guide
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »
Black Bart Blues
Reach Out

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Prodigal Son
Flash of the Blade
Alexander the Great
Only The Good Die Young

Prodigal Son is just so, so good. Way underrated, even if it is a totally un-Maiden track.

Also the Rhapsody of Fire cover of Flash of the Blade is insanely good and I recommend Maiden fans give it a listen.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
Prodigal Son is just so, so good. Way underrated, even if it is a totally un-Maiden track.

Great song, but I know that there's absolutely zero chance of it ever happening, so I left it off my list.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
Alexander
Judas
Runner (voted for it anyway)
Duel
Good Die Young

Wish I went Run Silent though now actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
The only ones I would really like to see live are Flash Of the Blade, Prodigal Son, and Only the Good Die Young. Some of the others are good and they would all certainly be interesting, but I don't think there were many missed opportunities there. There are way more songs from the reunion era that I think should've been played live. 
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
Prodigal Son
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Alexander the Great
The Prophecy
Only the Good Die Young

I always thought that Prodigal Son was the best song Rush never made. I could so totally hear that on a 70's Rush album. Steve just channels Geddy with his playing. Just love that song so much.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:25:34 PM »
It was me who voted for The Apparition and Weekend Warrior :metal :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:52 PM »
I choose one that isn’t on here: Empire of the Clouds. I know it’s only classic era songs, but I would kill to hear this live.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 02:05:58 AM »
Alexander The Great, by large distance.

Flash of the Blade, I'm afraid is a little too late
Prodigal Son, very guilty pleasure of mine and very interested in Bruce's take.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
Sun And Steel
Back In The Village
Alexander The Great

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
Invaders
Quest for Fire
Alexander the Great (top choice)
Only the Good Die Young
Judas Be My Guide
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
I went with:
Prodigal Son (awesome song that deserves an airing - would love to see DT do this song justice)
Alexander the Great (killer epic - shame it's never been played yet)
The Prophecy (probably my favorite from SSoaSS)
Only the Good Die Young (surprised they never played it live - a great closing song)
Run Silent Run Deep (definitely one of the better songs on NPFtD)

edit - Honorable mention to:
Flash of the Blade
The Duelists
Mother Russia
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Eh, "Alex" is as predictable as a band poll with Rush on it.   It's a good song but I think it's achieved sort of mythological status at this point. 

I voted Prodigal Son and Back In The Village.   I think "...Village" is one of the top five best songs in the Maiden catalogue.  It can be done in conjunction with it's partner song "The Prisoner".  That'd be cool!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Eh, "Alex" is as predictable as a band poll with Rush on it.
You mean you think Rush would win a band poll that asked the question "which prog band do you think is the least influential on DT?"

:biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
Loneliness has been played live...

You know...I thought it had been done on the SiT tour, but I didn't catch it on here when I did this poll:  https://www.setlist.fm/stats/iron-maiden-3bd6803c.html.  I'm now seeing it as having been played, but only once.

Black Bart Blues
Reach Out

Nicely done, sir.  I haven't heard Reach Out since I got rid of my vinyl (it was one of the b-sides on a 12" single if I remember correctly).  I'm partial to the Sheriff of Huddersfield myself.  Cross Eyed Mary would be another good one.

Alexander the Great was a little disappointing as the "follow up" to Rime, but it's still a good song and I think would be really cool live.  Back in the Village (again in the village in the village I'm back in the village again and again and again and again...) sucks!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
I always thought that Prodigal Son was the best song Rush never made. I could so totally hear that on a 70's Rush album. Steve just channels Geddy with his playing. Just love that song so much.

I think you're thinking of Purgatory, which (IMO) has sort of a Making Memories/first four Rush albums vibe (and which apparently hasn't played since the first set of Italian dates with Bruce in October 1981).  Prodigal Son has a strong boogie-woogie feel that (IMO) sounds nothing at all like Rush (bass or otherwise).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Eh, "Alex" is as predictable as a band poll with Rush on it.
You mean you think Rush would win a band poll that asked the question "which prog band do you think is the least influential on DT?"

:biggrin:

I wouldn't bet against them.  There are some people here that are pathologically unable to NOT vote for Rush. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »

I think you're thinking of Purgatory, which (IMO) has sort of a Making Memories/first four Rush albums vibe (and which apparently hasn't played since the first set of Italian dates with Bruce in October 1981).  Prodigal Son has a strong boogie-woogie feel that (IMO) sounds nothing at all like Rush (bass or otherwise).

Are you SURE you don't have them confused?  I'm listening to Purgatory right now, and there is zero "Making Memories" vibe to it, whereas the walking bass line over the suspended chords of Prodigal Son.....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

Are you SURE you don't have them confused?  I'm listening to Purgatory right now, and there is zero "Making Memories" vibe to it, whereas the walking bass line over the suspended chords of Prodigal Son.....

Holy hell!  I hadn't listened to Killers in ages, so didn't have a good idea of which song was which (even though I knew all the titles).  I fired up my Ipod while I was at lunch (yes, I still have an Ipod), and apparently it has Prodigal Son, Purgatory and Twilight Zone mis-labeled.  Prodigal Son is, indeed, the Rush-like song that I described as having a "Making Memories/first four Rush albums vibe," and Twilight Zone is the song with the "boogie-woogie feel."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
The beginning of Prodigal Son also sounds A LOT like Ozzy's You Can't Kill Rock & Roll.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
Yes it does!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »

Holy hell!  I hadn't listened to Killers in ages, so didn't have a good idea of which song was which (even though I knew all the titles).  I fired up my Ipod while I was at lunch (yes, I still have an Ipod), and apparently it has Prodigal Son, Purgatory and Twilight Zone mis-labeled.  Prodigal Son is, indeed, the Rush-like song that I described as having a "Making Memories/first four Rush albums vibe," and Twilight Zone is the song with the "boogie-woogie feel."

No apologies; I have an ipod too that I carry just about everywhere I go.  I actually bought it off a fellow poster here, and I am eternally grateful to him (seriously). 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:50 AM »
Out of these:

Sun and Steel
Flash of the Blade
Only the Good Die Young
Mother Russia
Judas Be My Guide

Real wishes:

Empire of the Clouds
Isle of Avalon
The Alchemist

I didn't pick Alex the Great out of spite to all of those still hoping someday they will play that song  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
Yea, the list didn't include songs from the blaze era and on that weren't played.  Id choose:

Judgement of Heaven
Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Empire of the Clouds
Montsegur
Mother of Mercy
Starblind
Como Estais Amigos

Offline Ruba

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
The Duellists (I guess it was not originally played because the instrumental has four different guitar tracks, same goes with Flash of the Blade)
Alexander the Great (duh!)
The Prophecy (has some of the best melodies of their whole discography)
Run Silent Run Deep (simply epic)
Judas Be My Guide (just a lovely song overall)

Out of more recent songs:

Look for the Truth
Como Estais Amigos
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Face in the Sand
Age of Innocence
Mother of Mercy
Starblind
Empire of the Clouds

After seeing the poll results, I'd also like to give out sympathy to Fates Warning and Fear is the Key. Two very good songs that have never gotten the appreciation they'd deserve (although FITK has rather unnecessary coda)