Author Topic: Florence and the machine  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Florence and the machine
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
Anyone else like Florence and the machine?

I was never into their stuff until this most recent album that just came out and I seriously can't get that Hunger song out of my head.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Florence and the machine
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
Huge fan. Was searching for a Florence thread the other day, thanks for making one.

The new album kind of let me down. It's not bad but it's not what I was hoping to hear. It's stripped down and not as orchestrated as the last few albums, nor does it have their energy. It doesn't have the weight of songs like Various Storms & Saints or No Light, No Light to me, but the lyrical poetry is as good as it's ever been. I just wish it had that hazy orchestral sound like back on the album Ceremonials, which is still my favorite Florence album.

Grace is a really lovely song and Big God is growing on me, Hunger is really good. I haven't given it enough spins to judge for certain but if I had to say right now, it would be my least favorite album (Ceremonials > HBHBHB > Lungs > HAH).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:31 PM »
I can't wait until TAC sees this thread.  :corn
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:24:57 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 01:39:30 AM »
Hadn't listened to them in a while, so I had no idea that they had released a new album!

But yeah, big fan of their previous work. Pretty excited to get into their new stuff!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
"Ship To Wreck" is my frickin' jam!  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
Huge fan. Was searching for a Florence thread the other day, thanks for making one.

The new album kind of let me down. It's not bad but it's not what I was hoping to hear. It's stripped down and not as orchestrated as the last few albums, nor does it have their energy. It doesn't have the weight of songs like Various Storms & Saints or No Light, No Light to me, but the lyrical poetry is as good as it's ever been. I just wish it had that hazy orchestral sound like back on the album Ceremonials, which is still my favorite Florence album.

Grace is a really lovely song and Big God is growing on me, Hunger is really good. I haven't given it enough spins to judge for certain but if I had to say right now, it would be my least favorite album (Ceremonials > HBHBHB > Lungs > HAH).

Agree with all of this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
"Ship to Wreck" is the only song of hers/theirs that I knew for a long time.  Not my usual thing, but we play it in the band and I've gotten to really like it.

I saw her/them do "Hunger" on The Graham Norton Show recently and it was a pretty cool song, too.  Florence was somehow just like imagined she would be, just based on her voice and vocal delivery.  She seems really cool.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
"Ship to Wreck" is the only song of hers/theirs that I knew for a long time.  Not my usual thing, but we play it in the band and I've gotten to really like it.

I saw her/them do "Hunger" on The Graham Norton Show recently and it was a pretty cool song, too.  Florence was somehow just like imagined she would be, just based on her voice and vocal delivery.  She seems really cool.

Orb, do me a favor and listen to No Light, No Light sometime. Far and away my favorite Florence song. First time I ever heard her was her performance on SNL years and years ago where she sang that and I was instantly a fan.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
Holy shit!  :omg:  Again, not my usual bag, but there's no denying the intensity of her live performance.

Florence & The Machine - No Light, No Light (Live at the Brit Awards 2012)

There are lots of artists and bands out there who I won't put on a CD and listen to, but if I catch them doing something live on TV I'll watch and listen.  Live performance is where it's at.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
Holy shit!  :omg:  Again, not my usual bag, but there's no denying the intensity of her live performance.

Florence & The Machine - No Light, No Light (Live at the Brit Awards 2012)

There are lots of artists and bands out there who I won't put on a CD and listen to, but if I catch them doing something live on TV I'll watch and listen.  Live performance is where it's at.

That's exactly how I got drawn to them. I thought their music was cool or whatever, but didn't become a dedicated fan until I watched her perform live. Such intensity and passion in her performances. Its incredible and impressive.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
The live show was what got me too (even if the 2011 SNL performance had backing tapes - I don't know if it was or not, I just assume SNL performances are like that)... quite the dramatic flair she has, in a good way. But I was also drawn to the instrumentation on stage. There was an interesting ensemble there, 3 violinists and a harpist included. That seems to be lacking somewhat on the new album, but maybe I wasn't listening as closely as I should have? It's super stripped down compared to Ceremonials, regardless.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
So, this album has grown on me. At first I didn't enjoy it much - like I said, it lacked energy. But I kept listening to it, and I've found the spots I actually dislike, and the good moments have really risen to the surface. So here's what I think.

June isn't a good opener, in my opinion. It's too slow and a bit timid for an opener, but that 'oh-oh-oh' has grown on me. Good song, but I would've chosen Hunger as the opener. Hunger is great. "The way you use your body, baby, come on and work it for me" - man, I love how she sings that line! A great song, nice catchy beat and hook.

South London Forever is one of the songs I don't like. Songs with weak choruses are really disappointing to me and I think this one is very weak, it doesn't stand out from the rest of the pack in a good way. I like Big God - it was weird to me at first but now I like it a lot.

Sky Full of Song is amazing. "Hold me down, I'm so tired now" - love it. Minimal instrumentation, emotional lyrics, powerful delivery. I love this track. Hope she plays it live. Grace is almost as good, very touching lyrics. These two songs really show off how "less is more."

I don't like Patricia. Again, the chorus to me sounds very weak and annoying. Some good lyrics in here though. 100 Years - awesome vocal performance towards the end but doesn't do much for me otherwise. The End of Love takes a while to pick up but it's a great track that I didn't appreciate at all until just a couple days ago. No Choir is a good closer.

This is a really quiet album overall compared to everything that came before. I think now I might rank it over Lungs because I don't listen to Lungs that much, the following albums all have a greater sense of maturity and sophistication that I think serves the image and vibe of the band more than some of those songs (although I do love Hurricane Drunk). Definitely a grower in my case and I hope she plays a few of these live this fall.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 07:57:34 AM »
New album out today. Dance Fever

Not bad so far from what I've heard. High as hope is still my favorite though.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
I think HAH is my least favorite overall, but I don't think it's bad. I liked this more on the first listen but like all of her albums it'll take time to fully appreciate it. I really like this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 05:11:15 PM »
I was sent them in a roulette a few years ago, and I thought they had a really cool sound and vibe. Where should I start with them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 06:38:51 PM »
I was sent them in a roulette a few years ago, and I thought they had a really cool sound and vibe. Where should I start with them?

My personal favorite is High as hope. But its very deep and almost sad in some ways. But I really love it.

All the other albums, there's only a hand of songs I like. So I just made a big playlist of stuff I like

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 06:45:20 PM »
I just played the first two songs off the new album and well, it didn't do it for me.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 07:25:34 PM »
I just played the first two songs off the new album and well, it didn't do it for me.

Try Shake It Out and No Light No Light. They have music videos and they're much more energetic. I think I was the one who sent you them and if I remember correctly I sent you one of her most upbeat ones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »
Will do, Melphy!

Offline Melphina

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »
Does that make you TACky? :neverusethis:  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »
 :lol

I've been TACky for a long time. :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »
Really liked the first three albums, High As Hope really didn't grab me at all. Hope I'll like this one more.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online nick_z

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Agree with Melphina on the Shake It Out and No Light, No Light suggestions...great songs...

I would add a few from the first album, Lungs. It's a little more diverse, with some slightly weirder de-tours, but it's very good. Rabbit Heart, Howl, Drumming Song, Cosmic Love and My Boy Builds Coffin are among my favorites.

Ship to Wreck from the third album is excellent.

I've lost track of them recently, so I haven't checked out their last two albums yet (including the one that was just released...)