Poll

Your top 3 tracks off Piece of Mind besides The Trooper?

Where Eagles Dare
37 (20.8%)
Revelations
40 (22.5%)
Flight of Icarus
29 (16.3%)
Die with Your Boots On
10 (5.6%)
Still Life
20 (11.2%)
Quest for Fire
3 (1.7%)
Sun and Steel
5 (2.8%)
To Tame a Land
34 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Your top 3 tracks off Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind besides The Trooper?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline WildRanger

Which 3 tracks?

Offline ChuckSteak

Revelations, Still Life, To Tame a Land

Offline WildRanger

Same as my picks.

Offline MirrorMask

Revelations, vocal masterpiece by Bruce, the song that introduced me to heavy metal in 1995
Where Eagles Dare, kickass drum intro and all around awesome song
Still Life, very original and catchy

Whole album is a damn masterpiece. Yes, even Sun and Steel. Ok, Quest for Fire is lame but still Piece of Mind > most eveything that's ever existed in the observable universe
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

To Tame a Land is the best song on PoM and might be my favorite Maiden song of all time (at worst it's #2 or #3).

I selected Eagles and Revelations as the other two.

I'd probably rank the whole album thusly:

1. TTaL
2. Eagles
3. Trooper
4. Revelations
5. Die with Your Boots On
6. Flight of Icarus
7. Sun and Steel
8. Quest for Fire
9. Still Life

I agree wholeheartedly with MirrorMask:  "Whole album is a damn masterpiece. . . .  Piece of Mind > most eveything that's ever existed in the observable universe."  The "worst" song on PoM is better than anything lots of bands ever did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Easy peasy. Die With Your Boots On, Flight of Icarus, Where Eagles Dare. Amazing trio right there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Same as my picks.

Same. Still Life just missed out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoseofNicko

Same as my picks.

Same and I would’ve picked them even if The Trooper had been included.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Same as my picks.

Same. Still Life just missed out.

You sure about that Kade?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
Die With Your Boots On
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
"Where eagles dare" was the first maiden song I heard, and it grabbed me right away.  As soon as the guitars kicked in, I knew they would become one of my favorite bands, and that's never happened before or since.  Every other band I listen to needed a bit of introduction first.
"Revelations" and "die with your boots on" were my other two picks.  Revelations was the first song i learned to play on bass by ear, but I'm sure I got a lot wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Still Life
3. Revelations
4. Die with Your Boots On
5. Flight of Icarus
6. Trooper
7. To Tame A Land
8. Sun and Steel
9. Quest for Fire

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Revelations
Where Eagles Dare
Still Life

Even with The Trooper available

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Revelations
Where Eagles Dare
To Tame A Land
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline NoseofNicko

Nice to see the love for Still Life. Definitely one of their most underrated songs.

Offline max_security

To Tame A Land
Where Eagles Dare
Still Life

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
Still Life
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Where Eagles Dare, Flight of Icarus and To Tame a Land.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dave_Manchester

Revelations, To Tame a Land and Flight of Icarus. Omitting The Trooper is a bit random to me, it wouldn't make my top 5 on the album.

Offline MirrorMask

Nice to see the love for Still Life. Definitely one of their most underrated songs.

More than underrated, I'd say forgotten, because it's squeezed between all the insane awesomeness that is present in this album, the one that came before, and the one that came after. It's not as famous as the other songs but diehard Maiden fans basically all love the tune.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Still Life has always stood out to me as one of their cooler, more creative and fun songs, despite that it didn't make my top 3 in this poll.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Still Life has always stood out to me as one of their cooler, more creative and fun songs, despite that it didn't make my top 3 in this poll.

Yup. True.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
My only wish is that Barry was still around so that I could see his head explode from the fact that Quest for Fire has two votes.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Never cared much for the B side (as soon as Bruce starting signing about dinosaurs, I just couldn't take it seriously :rollin), but I will give Still Life another spin based on this poll.

Online Dream Team

Eagles
Revelations
Flight

Or, the opening 3 tracks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Revelations
Still Life
Flight of Icarus
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
They should play QFF live. 

Offline Rattlehead

Die With Your Boots On
Flight of Icarus
To Tame A Land

Offline Setlist Scotty

I went with Where Eagles Dare, Still Life and To Tame a Land, altho I'm sure that The Trooper would've replaced Still Life if it were an option.

The one thing I don't get is all the votes for Revelations. I'm sorry, but IMO, the studio version sucks! My first Maiden album was Live After Death, and I love pretty much everything on that album, including Revelations. But later, when I got around to picking up Piece of Mind and I listened to the studio version for the first time, I was surprised how much I hated the song. I couldn't figure out why, until I relistened to the live version and saw how sssslllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwww and plodding the studio version is. Boring! I'll never listen to the studio version, but at least the version on Live After Death breathes some life into it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Some of us were fans of the song before Live After Death! :P

Offline max_security

Some of us were fans of the song before Live After Death! :P

LOL , that's right . I like the slow studio version much better with the mellow verses. LAD sounds like they are just bashing through it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw the Powerslave tour, and I distinctly remember that at the end of Revelations, where he goes "All of youuuuuuuuuu", I remember rolling my eyes thinking what a Dio ripoff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Clearly the live version of Revelations is much too fast, doesn't do the song justice. And Bruce's vocal delivery in the studio is amongst his best, while the live version is only good.

But maybe I would think otherwise if I've heard the live version first.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PowerSlave

I saw the Powerslave tour, and I distinctly remember that at the end of Revelations, where he goes "All of youuuuuuuuuu", I remember rolling my eyes thinking what a Dio ripoff.

I don't get the reference. It's probably obvious, but not coming to my mind...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again