Author Topic: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Final round results!!!)  (Read 63048 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 1 Results)
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
Nice work in this thread  :lol

I'll leave this old gem here for fans of  Jorn - the evil one   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklrkshmm5g
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lethean

« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
Zookeeper's is my favorite Mew song omg
I probably should have gone with that song, but then again, I'm not even sure if Lethean will like Mew...so it may not matter  :|
Probably shouldn't have. :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
So I chose the lesser of two evils....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
I still have a lot of listening to do (for all of the songs), so that may or may not be the case.  We'll see....  But I'm fairly confident that you shouldn't second guess yourself with this particular choice.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:09 AM »
I know exactly what to send next round.  :tup
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »
If it has Jorn, it's banned.  If it's Whitesnake, it's also banned.  (Unless they've allowed Michele Luppi to take over on vocals for a song.) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
It is absolutely nothing like either of those two, and if I ever start enjoying Whitesnake, please have me committed.   :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #323 on: July 13, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
 :lol. Will do. :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #324 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
I'm actually thinking about  sending a Whitesnake song.  Not one of the "hair-fest" Whitesnake '87 songs, but I have two in mind, one from the acoustic album (it's a radio broadcast from Japan with just David and Adrian) or an acoustic version of a song that was electric on the album it features on.  It's not like I have the mortgage riding on my win.   :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
But you can't, because they've just been banned.  If necessary, I'll add them to the list.  An acoustic track might even be worse, because there would be even less to distract me from how much I dislike his singing...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »
Here he goes again on his own, sending all the banned bands you've ever known!  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
 :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »
*scratches off Coverdale/Page from the list of options*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
Nothing left for me to do
But whisper a prayer for the dying

I'm still loving this album, Chad, thanks for introducing me to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Half of it is excellent. I remember being pleasantly surprised when it came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Plant sang "Shake My Tree" at the Page/Plant show I saw.  It was awesome.

I was going to send either the acoustic "Forevermore" from the album of the same name (it's a bonus track), or "Don't Fade Away" from "Starkers In Tokyo.  No screaming, no growling, just that warm mid-range voice... I love it. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #332 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
Stadler, I'll listen to both tracks at some point.  I don't expect my feelings on his voice to change, and I'd rather just check it out separately without having to rank it or listening to it multiple times over and over again. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #333 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
I think I kind of suck at write ups.  But here are some snippets:

1.   I feel a little bit guilty for ranking this track as high as I'm probably going to.  Well played.
2.   I'm not yet sure what I think of the first X minutes, but the last 2 minutes of this song are so intense.
3.   Hmm.  I was very much looking forward to listening to this even though I was also wary… unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me.
4.   This song is just magical.
5.   The first time I heard this track, I thought it was incredible.  The next couple times, I thought it was a bit too repetitive and maybe I'd been overly enthusiastic.  Today, I thought it totally ruled.
6.   I thought this song was a bit long and repetitive the first time, and still do.
7.   I should probably have checked this band out further a long time ago.
8.   I have to say I'm a little confused with this submission.  It's a good song, but at the same time makes me think this band might just not be for me.
9.   I'm hearing a fair amount of Symphony X in this track too, but it's not quite as in your face as it was on the Witherfall song.
10.   I actually quite like this song; just not as much as most of the others this round.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
Mine could be a lot of those... fudge.

(Only I didn't say fudge.)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #335 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
#6  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #336 on: July 13, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
I like your um, confidence, Parama.  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #337 on: July 14, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
2.   I'm not yet sure what I think of the first X minutes, but the last 2 minutes of this song are so intense.
:metal :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2018, 05:30:29 AM »
I'll take Repetitive Songs for $400, Alex.

#6  :metal
I'll fight you for it.  :73109:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2018, 05:48:34 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.

The whole "I've had enough of idle reverie" part is all kinds of glorious.

My song is long, and mostly instrumental, so I hope it isn't one of the repetitive comments because frankly, getting another 9 this round would be repetitive. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »
Wait, wait. Mine is clearly #7. I've been telling you about Toto's absolute goodness for a long time.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #341 on: July 14, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
Wait, wait. Mine is clearly #7. I've been telling you about Toto's absolute goodness for a long time.  :lol

What, a whole month?  If that? :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.

The whole "I've had enough of idle reverie" part is all kinds of glorious.

My song is long, and mostly instrumental, so I hope it isn't one of the repetitive comments because frankly, getting another 9 this round would be repetitive. ;D

Well one of those songs is going to do very well, so...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

What, a whole month?  If that? :)

I swear I've harped on about them for a lot longer than that, but I also do that to everyone else, so who knows  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
Round 2 Results:

Initially I thought round 1 was stronger, and overall I still do, but as these songs started to grow on me, I really found myself enjoying almost all of them.  So again, being lower in the list doesn't always mean it was a miss - I just liked the others more.

------------------------

10. Ulver - A Memorable Fancy, Plates 17-20

Sent be Elite

Hmm.  I was very much looking forward to listening to this after Perihelion Ship, even though I was also wary because what I'd heard from Ulver never did much for me.  I'd never heard this song or the album it was on however, so I was excited.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working for me.  I keep wondering what it is that I might be missing, but I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like it.  There are moments where I think, maybe this is it, but those moments aren't really long enough.  The last couple minutes of this song are much much better than the beginning, but it just isn't enough.  And I don't like the vocals much.  I think it's impressive that Garm seems to change his voice and singing on every album that I've heard.  The first Arcturus album was harsh vocals, the second was totally different, and I can't say I really like his vocals there, but the album is just soooo good, and then he sounds different on the Sham Mirrors (and I like him), and different again on the Ulver album I own, and still different on this.  I'd say he's probably very creative and tries to change things up, and I have respect for that.

9. Led Zeppelin - Carouselambra

Sent by jingle.boy

I'd already listened to the Ulver track a few times before you sent your submission, and was already struggling with it, so I thought this was your chance to take the lead.  I almost told you that, but thought it might not be fair roulette play.  So here we are.  I actually don't hate this song, but certainly don't love it either.  I just thought it was a bit long and repetitive the first time through, and I still do.  I'd be happy to give you your $400 Jeopardy winnings, but you still owe me a whole month's paycheck from Kattelox's roulette. 😊  What else to say about this track - it's fine.  I don't have strong feelings about Led Zeppelin; there's a lot I've heard that I like and a lot that I don't, and this is kind of in between.  I've always been on the fence about Robert Plant's voice too, and I'm more towards the not liking it side here.  During the slow middle part, I really don't care for him during what is otherwise a pretty cool section.

8. Mew - Apocalypso

Sent by Puppies on Acid

I actually quite like this song; just not as much as most of the others this round.  It's just maybe a little too…pretty?  Maybe.  Too light, and by too light, I don't mean that it's not metal enough; there are ballads and lighter songs that I completely love and would be "less heavy" than this, but it's too light in a different way.  This might make it sound as though I don't like it, but that isn't the case.  I never felt like I needed to skip it when playing the songs, I've had it in my head at times, and I think there is a good melody and interesting playing.

7. Toto - Bottom of Your Soul

Sent by Kattelox

I have to say I'm a little confused with this submission.  It's a good song, but at the same time makes me think this band might just not be for me.  Part of this is probably on me; you said you knew exactly what to send me with Toto, and what I was imagining was something entirely different, with different vocals, because I'm pretty sure this is the singer I'm not too fond of…Or is it a 3rd (or 4th) guy?  I was expecting something that was going to make you say "I told you so."  So - I had to step back and try to separate what I was expecting from what I actually had in front of me.  And it *is* good.  Like the Mew song, I didn't want to skip it and found it a nice listen each time.  I like the acoustic/piano part that's in the middle of the song a lot.  The vocal melody is sad (in a good way).

6. Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin

Sent by Evermind

Definitely not too long.  😊  The Amadeus Awad track wasn't too long either; it was just that I liked the second half of it so much better than the first which is why it made me sometimes want to skip ahead.  That was a good track though, and I'd like to hear more from him when I get to exploring some of these bands after the roulette (and ProgPower and fall tours) are done.  This Dark Empire track is maybe also a little too Symphony X-ish… certain parts have a strong SX vibe and sometimes the singer seems to be trying to channel Russell Allen.  Having said that, I do like this song.  I liked the feel of it right from the beginning.  The flute solo is indeed cool. 😊  I also like the segment that it transitions into; really nice build up with the sustained guitar notes (if that's bad terminology, you can laugh, but you probably at least know what I'm talking about).  I like it from there to the sad guitar leads up until the vocals, which are a little too Russell ish at first, but then as it picks up, that last minute or so, Russell Allen or not, is really really cool.

5. Nine Inch Nails - The Wretched

Sent by Sacul

Now this has a cool vibe.  I should probably have checked this band out further a long time ago, because I mostly enjoyed what I've heard.  Though, I think I heard the entire Downward Spiral album and the like to dislike ratio wasn't enough to make me want to buy it.  Maybe it's time to take another look at the band and see what I think now.  This song is dark and intense.  I liked it from the start but thought it would end up lower in the ranks, but after the 2nd or 3rd time I just found myself really enjoying it.

4. Rishloo - Landmines

Sent by Train of Naught

I guess I didn't disguise this one in the snippets too well, eh?  Either that, or no one else was that confident about their track's last 2 minutes.  😊  Before I get to that part - this track is a great example of why it would be a bad idea for me to rank these songs right away.  I wasn't into it that much, and perhaps even tuned out a little the first couple times.  Nothing wrong with it; just didn't grab me.  Then, then ending really got my attention, so while I wasn't sure what to think of the first 4 minutes, well, last 2 minutes of this song are so intense.  It's even a bit longer than that, maybe the last 2 and half minutes from when it gets slow and airy, then picks up, and then just kills it.  Wow.  That guy has a great set of pipes too.  So at that point, I kind of felt like it was time to just listen to the whole song until the beginning fell into place, and that pretty much worked out for me.  Fantastic song.

3. Pyramid Theorem - Primitive Design

Sent by TAC

I feel a little bit guilty for ranking this track as high as I'm probably going to.  It's probably very predictable of me to love this track, but so be it.  There's a definite Rush/DT vibe going on here.  Lo and behold, I looked them up and the members of the band are also in a Rush tribute band.  :lol  I can't help it; this is good stuff.  Well played.  You sent it before you read my comments on Witherfall, so it may be more of a coincidence, but I still find it funny that I criticized that track for being too much like Symphony X and have no problems with this one whatsoever.  (Word of caution however - there are times when something reminds me of DT too much and I *do* have issues with it; for example, Circus Maximus).  Anyone reading who likes some proggy goodness, listen to this track.  What little vocals there are are very good.  But it's mostly instrumental and totally rules.

2.  UFO - Love to Love

Sent by Stadler

This song is just magical.  Not at all what I would have expected from the UFO sampling that I've done in the past.  The guitar intro is very cool, but then the real fun begins with that keyboard part, and then the instruments all slowly start to come in, then it builds up, and it's just fantastic.  Not a fan of the vocal "it's been too many times" melody, but I don't care; the rest of the singing is fine and overall, the song is just *so* good.  I almost always listened to it twice when I ran through the playlist for this round.  The guitar solo at the end is cool too.  It flies by when I listen to it and I wouldn’t mind it being twice as long. 😊

1. Thy Catafalque - Oldódó formák a halál titokzatos birodalmáb

Sent by Parama

The first time I heard this track, I thought it was incredible.  The next couple times, I thought maybe it was a bit too repetitive and maybe I'd been overly enthusiastic.  Today (now a couple days ago), I thought it ruled. Even now, I'm not even sure I should be giving it the top ranking, but I'm going to do it anyway, because I played it more than the others.  So, this is the 2nd winner that has harsh vocals, and people might be thinking "I thought Lethean doesn't like harsh vocals, I guess I'm going to send some too!"  All I can say is - the harsh vocals aren't overwhelming, and don't make me feel like I'm suffocating.  Parama, and Elite (and Kattelox w/Agalloch) did an incredible job with their picks, probably read the OP, and noticed what's on the banned list.  If you send me, I dunno… Wolves in the Throne Room, you're getting a 10.  If you send me vocals that sound like the harsh vocals on James LaBrie's albums, you're probably getting a 10.  Between the Buried and Me - probably a 10.  So, proceed with extreme caution if you take this road. :P  Back to Thy Catafalque - this track actually doesn't remind me much of Solefald so much as it reminds me a bit of when I first heard them and was getting into them.  "Wow this is a cool song… or is it…WTF was that?"  This track is heavy, but also melodic, and intense.  And creepy, and uplifting.  When it comes back in after the first talking segment, it just…  :metal   By the end your heart's pumping.  It would have been a crime if you pulled out of this roulette, even if I hate the rest of what you send.  (But I'm really hoping I don't).

Scores after Round 2:

Parama: 5 + 1 = 6
Train of Naught: 3 + 4 = 7
Stadler: 8 + 2 = 10
Elite: 1 + 10 = 11
jingle.boy: 2 + 9 = 11
Kattlelox: 4 + 7 = 11
Evermind: 6 + 6 = 12
TAC: 9 + 3 = 12
Puppies on Acid: 7 + 8 = 15
Sacul: 10 + 5 = 15

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 2 Results)
« Reply #345 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Nice! The Fragile is less abrasive and more experimental and varied than The Downward Spiral, I absolutely love it and you should certainly check it out  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: July 15, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
That seems to be a rather repetitive scoring.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
That seems to be a rather repetitive scoring.

You should send The Number Of The Beast next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
Normally I ham up my expectations but I was honestly expecting BOYS to be one of the top songs.  Wow, swing and a miss.  :( They have so many singers and so many different styles of music in their catalog that it was still really difficult sending one knowing that if you don't like it you'll probably write the band off. I was trying to look back to see which singer you liked/didn't like but I couldn't remember and couldn't find it, so I literally flipped a coin to pick that track. Crap. Oh well. (I know you said you like it, but it's probably not going to get you into them)

That UFO song is worthy of 2nd place though. Good choice Stads.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
 :metal

let me pick out something sufficiently garbage for this round to balance things out