Author Topic: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Final round results!!!)  (Read 64151 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Hangman with a drunk host)
« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2018, 12:45:26 AM »
Round 4 results.  I'm sorry if the write ups are a little sparse this time, but I'm beat.  Please excuse any typos and correct me if any of my math is wrong.  Now send for round 5 so I have all of the songs when I wake up. :P

The theme of this round was "bands that remind me of other bands." Sometimes this bothered me, but I generally liked those songs better than the others anyway, so they're getting the higher rankings.  I initially thought round 3 was stronger than this round, and I still do, but the songs this round did grow on me and I liked most of them more than I thought I would.

10. Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Sent by Sacul

So, I don't know if this is just a problem that I have, but sometimes when listening to this track, I'd start to laugh.  Not because it was so bad that it was laughable - nothing like that.  It just seemed so serious, and of course it is, but maybe it's the way it was presented.  I can't say that if the lyrics were about something else completely that I'd have ranked this any higher, but then maybe I would have.  It seems like a good song, but just one that I had a hard time connecting with.

9. Ozzy Osbourne - Tonight
Sent by Stadler
After listening to this one a couple times, I started to wonder if I’d heard it before, but it was only the chorus that felt familiar.  I decided that if I wasn't sure, it was fair to keep.  I have to admit to feeling guilty when I get a write up like this one, and hopeful comments about the snippets, only for the song to end up with a low score.  I'm not a huge fan of Ozzy's voice but I don't hate it either.  The song isn't bad, but mostly just didn't resonate with me.  I did really enjoy that fade out solo, and found myself increasing the volume each time so I could hear as much of it as possible.

8. Orphaned Land - The Cave
Sent by Train of Naught
I feel like Orphaned Land deserves a better score from me, but for some reason they never clicked.  I’ve seen them live a few times, and wasn't into it until last year, when I was surprised to finally enjoy their set the whole way through.  Because of that, I thought something from this new album might hit the spot, but I don't know.  I like it in parts, and wonder if perhaps this is one that would need a bit more time to grow on me, or if Orphaned Land is just going to be one of those bands that I can appreciate but not really get into.

7. Queen - Innuendo
Sent by jingle.boy
This is the best track I’ve heard from Queen.  (The other one you sent wasn't my cup of tea at all).  I really like the first half, and also some parts towards the end.  I'm not a fan of their trademark show tune/operatic sounding vocals, and I don't like everything he does with his voice, so this song was both hit and miss for me.

5. Dyssidia - An Absolute Severance
Hmm.  I pretty much hated the harsh vocals on this one.  It's at the beginning, towards the end, and there's a couple random growls that sound like someone throwing up.  On the other hand, I *loved* (loved loved loved) the clean vocals.  If the whole song had harsh vocals it would be last, and if it was all clean vocals it would possibly be first, definitely second.  Therefore, I guess it gets a 5, because I don't know what else to do with it.

5.  Deftones - Digital Bath
Sent by Puppies on Acid

This was a very pleasant surprise.  I saw them live once, and they sounded like a nu metal band with somewhat whiny nu metal vocals.  This song is nothing like that at all.  It has a really nice atmosphere and nice build up.  And the vocals are nice too.

4. Vulture Industries - Blood Don't Flow Streamlined
Sent by Kattelox

I guess Arcturus must be flattered.  :P  This is a little over the top with the influences, and the singer seems to be trying to channel Garm (who I felt a little tired of after that Ulver track, and my favorite Arcturus singer is Simen Hestnaes anyway).  Nonetheless, it's a really good song and I enjoyed listening to it.

3. Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act
Sent by Parama

This band was recommended to me at Rosfest as a band that has more energy, so I've been meaning to check them out. I didn't care for the vocals at first, and the verdict is still out really, but I did have this song in my head a lot over the last week.  I could sometimes do without the sax and trumpet, and wonder if it would bug me on a whole album.  When I did bother me however, I just focused on the guitar playing anyway and there's some really nice stuff going on there.

2.  Airbag - Broken
Sent by Evermind

This song is beautiful.  I listened to it once during round 3 and didn't really have much of an opinion about it; it was nice but I didn't see it scoring this high.  Once I started the round, it started to grow on me and I liked it more each time.  I've asked myself why I like this one so much when, for example, the beginning of the IQ song dragged a bit for me, and I can't really answer that.  I just enjoy it; it doesn't make me think of "sleepy" prog, maybe the singer's voice is just a liiiitle bit more engaging. 

1. Agent Fresco - See Hell
Sent by Elite

This was round leader the first time I heard it and never relinquished the top spot.  Reminds me of Leprous to the extent where it's Einar's voice that I hear when I have this song in my head.  It should bother me, but it's soooo good.  It doesn't quite have the heaviness of even Leprous' lighter songs, but there's a lot to enjoy instrumentally and the vocal melodies are awesome (and Leprousy).

Parama: 5 + 1 + 1 + 3 = 10
Elite: 1 + 10 + 4 + 1 = 16
Train of Naught: 3 + 4 + 3 + 8 = 18
Evermind: 6 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 19
Puppies on Acid: 7 + 8 + 1 + 5 = 21
Kattlelox: 4 + 7 + 8 + 4 = 23
TAC: 9 + 3 + 7 + 5 = 24
Stadler: 8 + 2 + 6 + 9 = 25
jingle.boy: 2 + 9 + 10 + 7 = 28
Sacul: 10 + 5 + 9 + 10 = 34

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette
« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
tbh i'm considering dropping out bcuz i don't have time/interest picking out submissions for this roulette right now, if i don't send you something today just assume i'm not going to bcuz i dunno. all the stuff i normally send is too extreme for you mostly  :lol
this post is incredibly funny in hindsight

i think i already had picked out something for the next round of this roulette & then forgot to write it down so let's see if i remember what it was

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 4 Results)
« Reply #632 on: July 31, 2018, 01:02:02 AM »
Well shit, now I'll have to send something serious again. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #633 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:43 AM »
Considering some of the green bands in your banned list, I'm honestly not surprised that Agent Fresco won the round :lol glad you liked them, be sure to check out both of their albums! Also, are you in Europe? They're touring with Leprous this fall. Last year it was amazing, I expect nothing less of both of them this year :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #634 on: July 31, 2018, 04:45:29 AM »
Well, I'm trending in the right direction at least!

As much fun as it is to send these classic/great songs (despite our hosts opinion of them), it's clearly not hitting the mark with him, and not really fair to send things that are almost assured not to be enjoyed or appreciated.  Time to go back to the modern stuff.   :sadpanda: for me.

:metal for Lethean.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: July 31, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
Hmm.. I'll take the 5 for that.

If you can get through those vocals, musically it's awesome.

Anyway, I also have an old Classic song that I've been considering.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: July 31, 2018, 06:09:16 AM »
Anyway, I also have an old Classic song that I've been considering.

Enjoy your high score.   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #637 on: July 31, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »
Not bad considering I've never even listened to that whole VI album  :biggrin:

Back to sending bands I love. Will send tonight. EDIT: Nope, just decided to send right before work. Had to get this out of the way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:45:49 AM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: July 31, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »
Ended skipping the Classic Rock for now. I think Lethean would like it though.

Anyway, sent a TAC Roulette Classic instead.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2018, 07:44:10 AM »
Damn, guess that was stubborn of me to take a risk with one of the d bands on the banned list :'(

Sending now
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #640 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:49 AM »
Ended skipping the Classic Rock for now. I think Lethean would like it though.

Anyway, sent a TAC Roulette Classic instead.

F*** me, I guess I'm going this route as well.    Grrrrrr...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #641 on: July 31, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
Stadler, I'm not surprised Tonight didn't do well. I know you love the song, but there are so many better songs to choose from. Plus, in my experience, Ozzy is so iconic and well known that if he is not on the banned list, there's a reason for it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
Ozzy is A lot of 70s/80s bands that are so iconic and well known that if he is not on the banned list, there's a reason for it.

Fix'd.  It's like one Roulette host said to me in response to a 70s submission I had

"Do you know that feeling when everybody loves a movie but you can’t get around seeing it.. and when you do, it is too late… you just don’t like it…
That’s pretty much how I feel about this song"

I'm thinking that classic just ain't for Lethean.

Tastes!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #643 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
Yeah...  I was thinking what TAC said about several bands in this round.  What I've heard over the years never motivated me to purchase anything from said bands, though from some I've listened to a fair amount. 

However, it's not as if I hate them and certainly not as if I know their entire catalogues.  That UFO song was awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #644 on: July 31, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Lethean, you rate Fates Warning as a top band. Rank their albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
Yeah...  I was thinking what TAC said about several bands in this round.  What I've heard over the years never motivated me to purchase anything from said bands, though from some I've listened to a fair amount. 

Surprised to see Kansas not banned. I figure you're describing a band like that with this quote.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: July 31, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
After VI I have absolutely nothing I'm confident Lethean will love, so it's just back to sending a few favorites and a couple bands I've warned about sending for months  :lol I'm sad that Stadler and Sacul's songs didn't do well, I think they're both great. I'm surprised at Orphaned Land ranking so low too. That Agent Fresco song is great though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #647 on: July 31, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
The top 2 don't change, 3-8 might shift a little, then a drop off.

1. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
2. Disconnected

3. Theories of Flight
4. FWX
5. Inside Out
6. Darkness in a Different Light
7. Perfect Symmetry
8. Parallels

9. No Exit

10. Awaken the Guardian

11-12 Spectre Within and Night on Brocken

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
Even though you don't like the first 4, I do, and I still think that's a great ranking :2metal: Pleasantly surprised that Disconnected is #2 and FWX is #4. Good stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #649 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »

Surprised to see Kansas not banned. I figure you're describing a band like that with this quote.

I know very little from Kansas. 3 songs, maybe?  So, the quote sort of applies in that I didn't hear Carry On My Wayward Son and think "I have to have more of this!" but it's not like I've heard a lot.  That song and The Point of Know Return do have this kind of "old" feel to them.  Whereas I dug the Vanden Plas cover of the latter; so it's a good song, but perhaps I prefer a different presentation.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #650 on: July 31, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Considering some of the green bands in your banned list, I'm honestly not surprised that Agent Fresco won the round :lol glad you liked them, be sure to check out both of their albums! Also, are you in Europe? They're touring with Leprous this fall. Last year it was amazing, I expect nothing less of both of them this year :)

Unfortunately not. I would definitely like to hear more from them and based on the one song, it looks like a cool tour.  As for the green bands, Arcturus and Riverside are also on that list so it's not as if Agent Fresco was guaranteed #1. :P

Offline Lethean

« Reply #651 on: July 31, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Already have 6 songs this round, and we're not waiting on Stadler.  :o

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: July 31, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

I just PMed you wanting to change my submission to something you'll actually enjoy :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #653 on: July 31, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
I'm advising you not to do that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: July 31, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
1st place confirmed yeah boi :metardica:

Round 6 it is then...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: July 31, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »

Yeah, timezones, work, all that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #656 on: July 31, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
This round is incredible so far.  Come on the rest of you, send me an awesome song.  Or, make the scoring easier and send me one that sucks... :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: July 31, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »
Or, make the scoring easier and send me one that sucks... :)

I'm on it!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: July 31, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Okay, sent the most depressing song I have.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #659 on: July 31, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
Elite, Puppies, and Sacul... :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #660 on: July 31, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
dacul's elite puppies are too busy blasting traincore to send

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #661 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
I could have sworn I sent...... Give me a minute. I know I had something lined up.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #662 on: July 31, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
Sent!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #663 on: August 01, 2018, 02:49:54 AM »
This round is incredible so far.  Come on the rest of you, send me an awesome song.

Done!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: August 01, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »
This round is incredible so far.  Come on the rest of you, send me an awesome song.

Cool... maybe my ranking will continue to improve.  See, I have good shit!