Author Topic: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Final round results!!!)  (Read 63577 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 2 Results)
« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
I apologize in advance for any disrespect (it is purely unintended) but in the few snippets I've seen of that show, the actors (even some of the men) are engagingly beautiful/handsome. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #456 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
I think that's probably a characteristic of at least 90% of shows and movies.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #457 on: July 19, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »
Vikings/people dressed as vikings are usually damn good looking.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #458 on: July 20, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
Ranking some of these songs is torture. 

A few bands that I'd heard of but knew little about, and of course some that were totally new to me. 

Snippets:

1.  The singing on this is much less annoying than I expected

2.  This song takes its sweet time to get going, but when it does...

3.  That solo!

4.  I had an incredibly vague idea about this in my mind, which was probably wrong

5.  This song kind of sounds like its title

6.  I was pleasantly surprised by the vocals on this

7.  This song can be listened to on just the surface level, which is quite poignant

8.  If I could do a one word write up, I'd go with intense.

9.  I wonder how the rest of the album sounds...

10.  I don't see myself exploring this band, but this song did grow on me a little.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: July 20, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »
3.  That solo!
7.  This song can be listened to on just the surface level, which is quite poignant

Gotta be one of those, gun to head I'd go with 5. Or 7 - I'd describe mine as 'poignant' in a way but others might not, so...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #460 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
10.  I don't see myself exploring this band, but this song did grow on me a little.

Probably one of these, but yeah, that's literally 60% of the snippets, so idk.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »
3.  That solo!

I'm claiming this one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
I'm calling Road of Bones for taking it's sweet time to get going.

For Saga... I'll take #10.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
Yeah I think Road of Bones is #2 as well. Takes a while but damn is it a good ride.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »

2.  This song takes its sweet time to get going, but when it does...

3.  That solo!

4.  I had an incredibly vague idea about this in my mind, which was probably wrong

I believe that mine could literally be any of them, except for possibly 8 (which I can see going to Typo Negative). 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #465 on: July 20, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »
I actually think the 'intense' one is The Hirsch Effekt.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #466 on: July 20, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Agitation isn't particularly intense by Hirsch Effekt standards even but maybe

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #467 on: July 20, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
No, that’s what I thought as well, but still.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #468 on: July 20, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
Really think Skuggsja is more likely to be that snippet than that Hirsch Effekt song
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #469 on: July 20, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
I have never heard Skuggsja, but that might be so if you say so.

I actually think my submission is quite intense in terms of atmosphere as well, but it’s likely not Lethean’s first thought on my song.
Squ

Offline Lethean

« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2018, 07:26:43 PM »
Results either late tonight, or tomorrow

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #471 on: July 20, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
i can now official post a :soon:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »

Already? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #473 on: July 20, 2018, 08:59:00 PM »

Already? Wow!

I anticipate needing more time for round 4, and I've been listening to these songs since Sunday and Monday.

Here's the deal with this round - there are 4 songs that I have been listening to back and forth trying to put in order, and it's not working.  I have them mostly written up, but have a couple more hours of real life work to finish before finalizing them.  At that point, I will try to come up with some way to put those four in order; maybe my likelihood of buying the album... Or I could do a 4 way tie (there's already one other tie in this round so I wanted to avoid that).

If anyone has thoughts - "cop out" or "fine with me" - feel free to share. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: July 20, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
disappoint me  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
i'm just here to get last place

Offline Lethean

« Reply #476 on: July 21, 2018, 02:22:55 AM »
Time for some results, because the longer I think about it the less sure I am. :)

This was a great round and I found myself really enjoying going through the playlist, which I did sometimes 3 times in one day.  There was something to like about each track.

10. Saga - On the Loose
Sent by jingle.boy

So… this is not like the 10s from the previous two rounds, where I really just didn’t like them.  The song is maybe a little too, bouncy? for my tastes and the chorus goes along with that.  Having said that, I started to like it more as the week went on.  It’s not something that makes me think I’d become a fan of this band, but it was cool to listen to.  For some reason, when he sings the word “conclusion,” I think of Geddy Lee; not that his voice sounds like him.  The vocals are good though.

9.  Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla
Sent by Sacul

For some reason, this songs sounds the way the its name sounds - not the meaning of the word, which I don’t know if it’s real and haven’t looked up, but just the way it sounds.  I like it, I’m just not too sure about the singing.  But it kind of has this bittersweetness to it which is really nice - kind of sad and triumphant at the same time, especially towards the end.  I’d be curious to hear more from this band to see if anything else might strike me.

8. Stratovarius - Out of the Shadows
Sent by Firewings

After reading that write up, how could I possibly not have accepted this submission?  It doesn’t have the same affect on me as it does on you, but it is a very cool track nonetheless.  If your goal was to win the round, there were just too many heavy hitters for that to happen.  But if your goal was for me to listen to and appreciate something I otherwise would not have, you were successful.  I didn’t have negative feelings about the old albums, but I just never thought to listen to them and assumed that Timo Tolki’s vocals probably wouldn’t have been so swift.  Obviously he’s not Kotipelto, but I was very surprised by how good he sounds.  I can hear what the band was growing into with this track, and the vocal melody is really nice and uplifting.

7.  Heart of Cygnus - Sailing North
Sent by TAC

I was expecting a very Rushy track, and I wasn’t disappointed.  This is one of the tracks I was having a hard time ranking.  I hate not putting this one higher, but I had to come up with something.   The “whoa” vocals are what brought it down from a higher position. They're just a bit too sing-songy for my tastes and tend to get on my nerves.  The rest of the song however is so good, and so Rush-like, from the vocals to the guitar playing.  And that solo!!!  Wow; obviously very inspired by Alex Lifeson and very well done.  Probably half of the time I listened to this song, I went back and replayed the last couple minutes once or twice before moving on to the next song. 

6.  Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - A Simple Game of Genius
Sent by Stadler

I’ve heard Oasis before and found the vocals to be kind of irritating.  The singing on this is much less annoying than I expected.  In fact, it’s not really annoying at all.  This song sounds so good right from the beginning; I like the mood that it sets.  Really nice intro and I actually wish that part was a little longer.  This track is way better than I was expecting it to be. 

5. IQ - The Road of Bones
Sent by Evermind

I feel like a bad prog fan both for not having listened to this before now, and also for not ranking it higher.  I heard some IQ tracks a long time ago, and always categorized this band as “sleepy” prog, which is where I also put Marillion and Pink Floyd, two bands who have some songs that I really like, but mostly don’t do it for me like they do everyone else.  Still, I wanted to hear this because The Road of Bones was spoken of so highly when it came out, and I always meant to one day get around to it.  I’m glad you sent it.  This song takes its sweet time to get going, but when it does... it really does.  I like it a lot, even though the “almost, but not quite” style vocals through a large part of the track are well, almost but not quite for me.  The guy can sing though - I really like when he kicks into high gear.  I’m going to check out this album for real now, so even though it’s not at the top, this was a great submission.  The last 3 minutes or so are stellar and the beginning is quite nice, although I wish the balance was the opposite way around.

4.  Obsidian Kingdom - Last of the Light
Sent by Elite

Hmm.  This track is really cool.  The harsh vocals almost last long enough to be an issue for me… but then they don’t.  The middle part is totally cool and interesting.  It’s not just the trumpet, but all of the other stuff going on as well.  I wonder what the rest of the album sounds like, and if I could enjoy the whole thing or if it would start to wear me down.  This song along with 5-7 were all close in the rankings but it edged out the others as of the final writing of this list.  I may wake up tomorrow and think it should have been IQ again.

3. Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Skussgjá
Sent by Train of Naught

We now all know about whole Vikings thing, which was really cool.  I thought about it right away, but tried to tell myself it was probably a coincidence - maybe they were just influenced by old Norwegian music and the show was using the same elements - but no.  It felt like I was watching the show.  I was afraid that the excitement over this is making me rank the song higher than I should, but it's impossible to tell if that's the case.
So, besides the Vikings connection - I really like the way Norwegian sounds when sung; I don't know why, but I've heard songs in a bunch of different languages and this seems to be my favorite.  If I had to describe the track in one word, it would be intense.  I like how this track builds and builds and builds with the intensity and it feels like something is about to happen.  Also, if someone is going to talk during a song, let it be like this; then the sung vocals come in, and it sounds really cool.  I thoroughly enjoyed this track.

Tie for #1 this time.  I played both of these songs a ton.

1. The Hirsch Effekt - Agitation
Sent by Parama

So… I really hope you didn't send me this song, which is incredible, just for me to find that the rest of their catalogue sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqRPBtXZSsE&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

I don’t know if the singer on this track is the same guy who screams, but whatever the case, he has a great singing voice.  You could listen to the surface level of this track, the really poignant vocal melodies and the sweeping keyboard (I assume) strings, and just enjoy it for that, which is what I did the first time I heard it, and what I generally do if I listen to it at work.  But then you notice all of the great stuff going on beneath the surface as well, the drumming, the little guitar parts, and it’s fantastic to just sit there with headphones and pay attention to all of the details.   Keep it coming!

1. Anesthesia - Type O Negative
Sent by Puppies on Acid

Clearly, switching songs was a good move. 😊  Truth be told, I was 3/4 of the way through your original submission, wondering how on earth I was going to make it through those vocals for the next week, when I read your post asking to switch, and I couldn't type my response fast enough.  😊  Having said that - I do want to give that band a better try and if I could get the vocals to grow on me, there's a ton of great musicianship to enjoy.  It would certainly not have ended up in this position, however.

So - I think I've managed to go without ever hearing anything by Type O Negative except their cover of Summer Breeze, which I don't think I really "got" at the time.  I hadn't heard it for years, but when Kattelox suggested that you send Type O Negative, I did wonder if he was trying to set you up.  I don't know why exactly - I didn't dislike that cover, but my memory of the vocals is worse than they actually are, if that makes sense.  On first listen, I thought "come on man, don’t do this to me" - the vocals were like the polar opposite of the original submission and I thought if that's how it was going to be for the whole song…  But then… the song became something else completely.  Right at 50 seconds it just becomes, I dunno, perfect.  Even the little things like the word "despair" just floating by you.  I didn't know much about them but had this vague idea of what they were about, and whatever that was, is wrong.  It didn't take long for me to enjoy the beginning either; maybe I just needed to hear it all in context to enjoy it.  I really love the keyboards and how the vocal melodies work with them.  It’s beautiful and intense and haunting and it sounds like there's anguish in some of those vocals.  I definitely want to hear more of this album.

Parama: 5 + 1 + 1 = 7
Train of Naught: 3 + 4 + 3 = 10
Elite: 1 + 10 + 4 = 15
Stadler: 8 + 2 + 6 = 16
Puppies on Acid: 7 + 8 + 1 = 16
Evermind: 6 + 6 + 5 = 17
Kattlelox: 4 + 7 + 8 = 19
TAC: 9 + 3 + 7 = 19
jingle.boy: 2 + 9 + 10 = 21
Sacul: 10 + 5 + 9 = 24

Offline Lethean

Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 3 Results, send round 4)
« Reply #477 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:16 AM »
Also, send for round 4.  I need a little more time to listen this week.  Also, Parama and Puppies sent their tracks right away last time... coincidence? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: July 21, 2018, 02:28:15 AM »
the hirsch effekt is a band of many styles
lifnej is among their heaviest songs though. but uhh yeah they do harsh vox a fair bit. if you wanna check out some other tunes i recommend cotard and natans to start with but i dunno if you'd dig a full album from them ever  :lol even anamnesis, the album that comes off, has one really intense song in the form of ira
anyways wow i'm doing way better than i deserve to be doing, will send something tomorrow 'cause it's 1:30 AM and i need to sleep  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #479 on: July 21, 2018, 03:58:58 AM »
Okay, that actually did better than I expected! Time to continue sending awesome songs regardless of whether they contain growls or not..

Regarding Obsidian Kingdom: the album this song came from is likely not gonna be your thing. It contains a bunch of calmer moments, but the heavy parts are usually heavier and longer than the ones in Last of the Light. It's basically alternating between claustrophobic heaviness and brooding intensity in calmer moments. I used to send some of the first tracks in roulettes more often (Oncoming Dark - Through the Glass - Cinnamon Balls) because they are basically one track and flow really well. The album doesn't pause anywhere, all the tracks are connected, both lyrically and musically, and they follow a story that's pretty gross and intense. It's honestly a top 10 album of all time for me, because of the way it grabs hold of you and doesn't let go until the final moments in the last tracks. I can definitely recommend it, but the growling to singing ratio is about 60%-40%.

What you could also try is their second album, called 'A Year With no Summer' which features basically no growls at all, but more like shouted vocals (idk how to explain) and the album is more aggressive not in a riff-based way like Mantiis is, but more atmospherically - actually a bit like the middle part in Last of the Light. It's more layered and dense and borders on post-metal with the way they use textured sounds to create atmosphere. Definitely a very interesting band - I'm very curious what they're doing with their third album.

Then there's the weird electronic remixes as well which you found; this is another thing the band does. I'm not too fond of the remixes myself, but the one for Last of the Light (coincidence?) is actually very good too :)
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2018, 04:17:54 AM »
Naturally I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #481 on: July 21, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
   I hate not putting this one higher,

Tell me about it!  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: July 21, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
I had a feeling mine would be one of the lower ones but no regrets as that song means everything to me. Will send by this evening.  :biggrin: Poor jingle, that song alone made me a Saga fan :)

Edit: sent already,  hopefully this is one Lethean enjoys a lot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:04:52 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
Well, how about that. I got a first place (tie with Parama of course) finish!

Where do I go from here? I'll have something sent to you soon. You have so many holes that I want to fill :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Train, Elite, Sacul, Stadler))
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
Send me a song.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
Puppies, Elite and Parama don't seem so confident about me liking whole albums; how's the album Anesthesia is on?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
I'm on vacation this week, so Kattelox is going to be your hangman host. The 4 of you who haven't sent yet, PM him as well as me please.  If you send in the next hour and a half, your song will get listened to in the car, on full volume, while I'm in a good mood.... Just sayin.

Kattelox's hosting powers only extend to hangman, so don't let him mess with you. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
:neverusethis:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: July 22, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
I'm on vacation this week, so Kattelox is going to be your hangman host. The 4 of you who haven't sent yet, PM him as well as me please.  If you send in the next hour and a half, your song will get listened to in the car, on full volume, while I'm in a good mood.... Just sayin.

Kattelox's hosting powers only extend to hangman, so don't let him mess with you. :P

That's too bad.  He makes a better judge than you.  :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: July 22, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
In a bizarre twist of fate it looks like everyone sent Africa by Toto this round! Wow!