Author Topic: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Final round results!!!)  (Read 63060 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 7 snippets)
« Reply #1155 on: August 16, 2018, 09:01:10 PM »
Breaking news - Kattelox is sure that his snippet is #9, knowing the quality of the vocals on the track he submitted...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1156 on: August 16, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
sorry katt but please go listen to #9 with the tastes of the roulette host in mind (or tbh your own tastes in mind) and then pick a different one

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1157 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
Katt is doubling down on his #9 pick, but thinks you should go listen to his track yourself, given your love of flutes and lutes...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »
i listened to a bit of it. it sounds like power metal

unrelated was listening to the ultar album ev sent me (because i bought it) & reading over the lyrics and it includes this line (in the translation):

"you burn and left behind the palaces of hangmen"

i'm pretty sure this is about splent

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1159 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
Katt says that in order to appreciate it better, I should listen to it while imagining that it was sung by Andre Matos instead.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1160 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
katt that's nice but lethean absolutely would not like hardcore punk vocals and that's final

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1161 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Well, you two can speculate all you like, but I'm pretty sure I'm the one with the final say as to what kind of vocals I would or wouldn't like.  I do find it surprising that he's so unconfident about the vocals on his track though...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »
my vocals are worse anyways so fair  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1163 on: August 16, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
I am 1 or 3.....or maybe 10.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:16 PM »
Looks like Flaming Row didn't do too well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1165 on: August 16, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
Which one do you think it is?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1166 on: August 16, 2018, 11:06:05 PM »
I'm 10.  I have almost no doubt that I'm 10.   Not score, but snippet.

I'd go with 9 if I were you...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1167 on: August 16, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »
Any of the songs with you complaining about vocals is Refused tbh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1168 on: August 16, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
Did you send me that, Sacul? Dude, that was a clusterfuck!! :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1169 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
i didn't even like it much tbh, i tried listening to that album once and i just hated it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1170 on: August 17, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »
I think I'm 7, 8 or 10. Maybe #1 even.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1171 on: August 17, 2018, 05:44:04 AM »
I have a Refused sticker on my laptop. I wouldn't be able to tell you anything more interesting about my experience with Refused

No really they're ok, just not for me

--

Mine is probably one about the vocals/vocal melodies, I remember being put off first time listening to it by the first line in the song after that sick intro
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1172 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:36 AM »
I'm 10.  I have almost no doubt that I'm 10.   Not score, but snippet.

I'd go with 9 if I were you...

Actually....  I confused my entry here with my entry at Jingle's roulette, so I'm not at all so certain that it's 10 now.  I could be 3.  I could be 9.  I could be, well, any of them except for 5 (it has a pretty clear denouement) and 8 (it's not dark, I don't think). 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1173 on: August 18, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1174 on: August 18, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1175 on: August 18, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »
Maaaybe tonight, probably tomorrow.  I think I might have to give a score I don't necessarily want to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1176 on: August 18, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
That's OK. Stadler is used to it. :neverusethis:

It's probably me..

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: August 18, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
i'm ready, lethean, it's fine  :corn
end me

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1178 on: August 18, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
FINISH HIM!!  :xbones
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1179 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
I didn't say it was a bad score that I didn't want to give...

10. Refused - Tannhauser / Derive
Sent by Sacul

So… this track seemed really promising for the first couple minutes, and I had a good feeling about it.  And then the vocals came in.  I'm not quite sure what to say, so I'll leave it to Parama.  "lethean absolutely would not like hardcore punk vocals and that's final."  Yeah.  I didn't know that they were called hardcore punk vocals, but whatever it is, he was right.  Also, this is the track that wouldn't end.  Just when you thought it was over, the screaming would begin again, kind of like in a horror movie, when it looks like the evil creature is dead, but it jumps up one or two more times.

9. Rhapsody - Holy Thunderforce
Sent by jingle.boy

This really isn't bad.  Other than the lyrics, which might be the best-worst lyrics I've ever heard.  Plus, although this isn't really my thing, I've certainly managed to have parts of it in my head on and off since I started listening to it.  Especially that beginning part which then repeats a few times throughout the song.  The stand alone vocals are good (and I like the way Fabio sings "oblivion"), but the chorus is what really doesn't do much for me.  Not bad, I think I can see the appeal, but at the same time, I don't know how well I'd take to a whole album of this.

8.  Rhapsody - Wisdom of the Kings
Sent by Kattelox

This track has a little more variety than I was expecting and although it's not rocking my world, it's been enjoyable.  I heard jingle's song first, and since you said the tracks were kind of in the same vein, I was expecting more of the same overall.  But this one was better.  It takes its foot off the double bass gas a little more, which makes it a more enjoyable experience for me.  I like the chorus a lot better too - just the melody and that it sounds less like… I dunno, a bunch of fantasy characters getting ready to march off to war, and you also get to hear more of Fabio shining through.  But I was still hoping for and imagining something else from them; maybe I would like a ballad from them better actually, or something that has even more slower parts mixed in with the speed, and a few twists or something.  Also, I'm not sure why you thought this was the #9 snippet about the vocals, but you may have a good point about listening to it with Andre Matos in mind…

7.  To-Mera - Mirage
Sent by Puppies

This is a really cool track, heavy, lots going on (in a good way), but I'm not at all sure how I feel about the singer.  I was hoping maybe the vocals would grow on me, and they have somewhat, but maybe not enough.  My curiosity has been piqued though - maybe I should try a couple more songs from them and see if the vocals work better for me.  Instrumentally I liked it a lot.

6.  Yes - Turn of the Century
Sent by Stadler

I'm still not sure quite how I feel about this track.  It's beautiful, but feels like it's going somewhere that it never gets to, and takes a long time doing it (Kattelox will be pleased that I can think a song might be too long).  The day after I posted that snippet, and you were certain this was the one snippet that couldn’t be yours, I went back again and tried to listen to it differently to see what I was missing.  This is probably on me then, but it still kind of feels that way to me.  That having been said, I still think it's beautiful and I enjoyed it.  The vocals sounded good and it's a much different experience than the track Puppies tried to send me would have been.

4. Flaming Row - Aim L45
Sent by Evermind
First everyone thought this was going to do well, then they thought it wouldn't.   This is a beautiful song.  I feel like this would be a good track to play during the end credits of one of the LOTR or Hobbit movies, and this wasn't meant as some kind of put down.  There was a song that closed out one of those movies that this kind of reminds me of (it probably sounds nothing like it, but just made me think of it); beautiful, sad melodies, the right instruments, etc.  I'm not sure how many singers are on this track, but I think I like most of them.

3.  Dvne - Crimson Path
Sent by Train of Naught

I really liked the intro of this song and right from the beginning I felt that it would be one that I really liked.  It's nice and heavy and just has this mood that let's you know you're going to be in for a great 8 minutes.  I'm not super fond of some of the vocal melodies, but they mostly seem to work well with this song after I'd spent some time with it.  Sometimes I really like the vocals and other times wish they'd be a little bit different.

3.  Spiral Key - Freeze Time
Sent by TAC

This track has a really nice energy to it, and I like the vocals a lot.  I'm not sure how much I like that main string part (see how great I am at describing music?  But I imagine you know what I mean), but otherwise I always looked forward to this track in the playlist.  I liked the little bass and keyboard break towards the middle to end followed by a nice beautiful melodic guitar solo.

2.  Foscor - De Marges i Matinades
Sent by Elite

I really liked this track a lot, and am curious about the rest of the album.  I'm not particularly fond of the singer, but don’t dislike him either and his voice seems to fit well enough with the song.  It's dark, heavy, somewhat different.  The harsh vocals are OK I suppose and don't last that long, and actually both you and Parama should probably thank Sacul, because the harsh vocals on your songs sounded quite pleasant compared to what he sent.  The end of the song takes a more atmospheric turn which sounds really nice as well.

1.  Morrow - Embers
Sent by Parama

Gloating is very unbecoming Parama, so don't do it.  There's still one more round to go. :P  The instrumentation on this track is so beautiful.  I like the lyrics too, although I couldn't have said what they were without looking them up (but I did look them up, which I haven't done much during this roulette).  The track is almost 11 minutes but doesn't feel that long while you're listening to it.  Why does stuff like this always have to have harsh vocals?  Maybe that's the only way bands feel they can really make it work.  I guess I can kind of see that in a way...  This track is so sad, and there's so much anguish, and it's also so beautiful, that I always feel something, and sometimes it's a strong emotional reaction, when I listen to it.  And that is why it deserves to get this score.  Having said that, I don't see myself listening to this very often.  I could be wrong, and maybe I will, but harsh vocals really get to me when I'm not in the right mood (which I certainly wasn't the first time I listened to it at 3 am or so).

Parama: 5 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 1 = 21
Elite: 1 + 10 + 4 + 1 + 5 + 3 + 2 = 26
Train of Naught: 3 + 4 + 3 + 8 + 3 + 6 + 3 = 30
TAC: 9 + 3 + 7 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 3 = 33
Puppies on Acid: 7 + 8 + 1 + 5 + 6 + 1 + 7 = 35
Kattlelox: 4 + 7 + 8 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 8 = 36
Evermind: 6 + 6 + 5 + 2 + 10 + 4 + 4 = 37
Stadler: 8 + 2 + 6 + 9 + 1 + 9 + 6 = 41
jingle.boy: 2 + 9 + 10 + 7 + 7 + 4 + 9 = 48
Sacul: 10 + 5 + 9 + 10 + 7 + 10 + 10 = 61

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Lethean's Laid Back Roulette (Round 7 results)
« Reply #1180 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
That 10 in Round 2 has ruined this potential win. I should not have sent that :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1181 on: August 19, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
 :metal
if it helps there's really not that much harsh vocals on the album overall. i think there's at least two instrumentals

i'll pick out some good crap for next round. literally only two people left who can beat me now and actually i think train can at best tie, if he gets a 1 and i get a 10  :lol

but yeah i'll send some of that good crap, no harsh vox i promise

so far all of my scores are odd numbers, hmm

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1182 on: August 19, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
How in the hell is Parama first AND Sacul last?  Either on their own doesn't necessarily surprise or shock me, but the two of them bookending the standings seems odd.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1183 on: August 19, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
Same thing happened in my roulette. Sacul and Parama both send very different music; Sacul barely sends any metal and has a habit of sending generally weird stuff, while Parama’s stuff is, well, mostly metal.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: August 19, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
Looks like I'm really good at sending average songs with those 6, 6, 5, 4, 4 scores.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: August 19, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
How in the hell is Parama first AND Sacul last?  Either on their own doesn't necessarily surprise or shock me, but the two of them bookending the standings seems odd.
dacul is one of the most incompatible people with my music tastes as of late, honestly  :lol anyways he's sent a few things anyone could've told you were bad ideas, especially clippng and refused

also the weird thing with my roulettes is that the person who doesn't send metal usually ends up winning somehow

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1186 on: August 19, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
also the weird thing with my roulettes is that the person who doesn't send metal usually ends up winning somehow
I sent some metal. The difficult thing with sending metal is that you've heard pretty much everything already.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1187 on: August 19, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
That song is one of the best build-and-release-tension kind of tracks smh my head :metal

I wanted to show Lethean some interesting stuff outside his comfort zone, with little success it seems :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1188 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
I'm feeling comfortable right in the middle of the standings  :lol

Even with 2 round wins I'm still somehow behind Trainy and TAC. I guess I haven't been the most consistent. Or our host is schizophrenic... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1189 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
when searching for stuff outside of someone's comfort zone first make sure it's at least adjacent to something they already like  :P

and i haven't heard -all- metal ever, just, a lot, from a lot of genres.