Poll

How do you feel about this band?  (PLEASE READ THE POST BEFORE VOTING)

Disappointment
10 (12.5%)
Great band with some definite low points
49 (61.3%)
Something else
21 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Queensryche: disappointment, great band with some low points, or something else?  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...

My friend who went to the show with me said that he came to the realization over the weekend that he'd rather see Geoff with what is essentially a cover band than see Michael/Eddie/Scott with another signer and guitarist, and I'm inclined to agree.  I don't know how many more of these shows Geoff is doing, but I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the band's early material and O:M in particular.

Interesting. I haven't seen Queensryche with La Torre since Dec. 2013. So almost five years. And while I admit that he can hit some notes Tate can't do, particularly on the pre-Mindcrime stuff, I still think Tate does a much better job on the Empire and PL material than Todd could ever do. That stuff was written for a deeper, fuller voice, and Todd's is naturally thinner. In some ways, by seeing Tate on the road, doing a good job with Mindcrime and Empire, and then Queensryche doing some early material, you get the best of both worlds.

To me, Tate is better now than he's been since the American Soldier tour. He was spotty on that tour, but decent. He's back to being at that level or slightly better, and that's fine with me. You can tell an effort has been made to maximize what he is capable of, and as a fan, and a consumer, I appreciate that effort, and that's why I saw his acoustic tour last year (which was great), and bought a ticket to this tour. I hope he has a good night when I see him this week. But regardless, I'm glad I'll get to see Mindcrime sung by the guy who originally sang it, one final (?) time.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
one final (?) time

I dunno.  Where there's a dead horse and a stick, Tate will continue to beat it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I thought he was doing a 31st Anniversary tour next year?  Did I have that wrong?   :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
one final (?) time

I dunno.  Where there's a dead horse and a stick, Tate will continue to beat it.  :lol

:lol

It's all he has. I do like the fact he's doing guest appearances and tours with Avantasia, and I am assuming he may do more of that with other groups as appropriate. That's a good move for him.

I'm not sure how viable it is to do it again, but his acoustic tour of QR tunes (many of which were deeper cuts) was an absolute blast in 2017. Hopefully he is able to do that again, and change up that setlist.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

Good to hear that Geoff and his band are doing a passable version of this.  But for me personally, I just can't muster up the interest in seeing it.  Part of it is that Mindcrime has just been DONE TO DEATH over the years, and having seen it in person and on video from the Empire tour, I've seen the "definitive" version.

I guess I get this.  I saw QR open for Metallica twice on the O:M tour.  The set list was mostly O:M; they skipped "The Mission," "Suite Sister Mary," "The Needle Lies" and the sub-2:00 "filler" pieces.  I saw them later on the O:M tour as a headliner, when they did all of O:M, except for SSM.  And then I saw them on the Empire tour, where they did the whole thing.  But that was nearly 27 years ago, so seeing the whole thing again was really enjoyable.

As far as the band politics, my attitude is meh....  I largely lost interest in the band after Promised Land (which, IMO, had only two good songs), and I haven't heard much of the TLT material, so I can't fairly say anything about the current incarnation of the band.  However, since, for me, QR may as well have ceased to exist over 20 years ago, and a band with no Tate or DeGarmo isn't really "Queensryche," Tate performing with a cover band is probably as good as it's going to get (plus, the whole evening was free, courtesy of a co-worker who was "entertaining" a client!).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

I guess I get this.  I saw QR open for Metallica twice on the O:M tour.  The set list was mostly O:M; they skipped "The Mission," "Suite Sister Mary," "The Needle Lies" and the sub-2:00 "filler" pieces.  I saw them later on the O:M tour as a headliner, when they did all of O:M, except for SSM.  And then I saw them on the Empire tour, where they did the whole thing.  But that was nearly 27 years ago, so seeing the whole thing again was really enjoyable.

So jealous. That Mindcrime headline tour (1989) is my favorite setist from the band. Just incredible. You saw them at their peak for sure. While I've been a diehard since Rage, I never got to see them until PL (1x) and HITNF (2x). But I really liked PL, so that was cool.

What headline show in 1989 did you attend?

As far as the band politics, my attitude is meh....  I largely lost interest in the band after Promised Land (which, IMO, had only two good songs), and I haven't heard much of the TLT material, so I can't fairly say anything about the current incarnation of the band.  However, since, for me, QR may as well have ceased to exist over 20 years ago, and a band with no Tate or DeGarmo isn't really "Queensryche," Tate performing with a cover band is probably as good as it's going to get (plus, the whole evening was free, courtesy of a co-worker who was "entertaining" a client!).

Glad you enjoyed the show.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I was at the Phoenix show of the Mindcrime tour on Dec 4, 1988.  One of the best concerts I've ever seen.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks! Amp modeling, yes, that's what my friend called it. He just never saw Queensryche ever do it before, so he thought it was an interesting approach for Tate. Yes, Fractal Audio, he said that too. Apparently one of the Tate guitarists (the young one from Ireland, I forget his name) has a rig rundown on YouTube where he explains it (if you're curious at all).

The Axe FX is what brought amp modeling to the next level.  Line 6 had brought the idea to market with the POD and AmpFarm, but Fractal really took it to the next level with the Axe FX.  I've messed around with it on a Kemper Profiling Amp.  Some co-workers of mine and I did a quick profile of a Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier and I couldn't tell the difference between the real one and the profile we created on the Kemper.  It was pretty sweet!  It's all pretty cool stuff once you get into it.  My old bandmates were both really into amp modeling because it was much less expensive than having an amp locker, so they could spend their money on guitars instead. 

I remember getting a PodXT years ago when I first started playing and it was pretty poor at modeling. I got to try playing through an AxeFX a few months ago and jesus christ has the technology improved.

I'd love to get a Kemper for at home.

Offline pg1067

So jealous. That Mindcrime headline tour (1989) is my favorite setist from the band. Just incredible. You saw them at their peak for sure. While I've been a diehard since Rage, I never got to see them until PL (1x) and HITNF (2x). But I really liked PL, so that was cool.

The two shows where they opened for Metallica were December 8 and 9, 1988 at the Long Beach Arena.  At one of those shows, I got to go backstage and meet both bands because a friend had won a radio contest (he got a guitar autographed by Kirk Hammett).  At the request of my band's singer, I asked Geoff what he did to warm up his voice.  His answer, delivered without any smirk or indication that he was joking:  "I masturbate in the shower."  Anyway...the headlining show was May 12, 1989 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater (and yeah, the set list was ridiculously good).  On April 27, 1992, I got to attend the filming of the MTV/VH1 "Unplugged" show.  Geoff was much cooler then:  When I asked if they were going to do the "Canticle" part of "Scarborough Fair," he "invited" me to come up and do it if I knew it (unfortunately -- or fortunately -- I didn't know it well enough to do anything other than say "nah").
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
That's incredible you got to go to that Irvine 89 show. I have the bootleg. So awesome.

But the most incredible story is the Unplugged taping. I wish that would have been recorded. The footage I have starts after I guess a lot of that banter (it has been awhile since I watched it), but I don't recall anything like that. Really cool. Thanks for sharing!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Peter Mc

The two shows where they opened for Metallica were December 8 and 9, 1988 at the Long Beach Arena.  At one of those shows, I got to go backstage and meet both bands because a friend had won a radio contest (he got a guitar autographed by Kirk Hammett).  At the request of my band's singer, I asked Geoff what he did to warm up his voice.  His answer, delivered without any smirk or indication that he was joking:  "I masturbate in the shower."

Was this before or after you shook hands?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
pg, I believe you've told that before, and I laugh every time I hear it.  Not at you, but just... that just seems to be "Tater" in a nutshell, to me. 

Offline gborland

Just last week I got a Line6 Helix. It is way more powerful than I could ever possibly need, and I have no idea yet how to use it, but it does sound wonderful.
Graham Borland

Offline pg1067

But the most incredible story is the Unplugged taping. I wish that would have been recorded. The footage I have starts after I guess a lot of that banter (it has been awhile since I watched it), but I don't recall anything like that. Really cool. Thanks for sharing!

I have it on a DVD that I copied from a VHS I recorded when it aired.  The footage that aired wasn't even half of what we saw.  I recall them running through the entire set once before the cameras ran, and there was a lot of cool banter with the audience.  I still have my ticket and one of the set lists signed by I think 4 of the 5 band members.

The two shows where they opened for Metallica were December 8 and 9, 1988 at the Long Beach Arena.  At one of those shows, I got to go backstage and meet both bands because a friend had won a radio contest (he got a guitar autographed by Kirk Hammett).  At the request of my band's singer, I asked Geoff what he did to warm up his voice.  His answer, delivered without any smirk or indication that he was joking:  "I masturbate in the shower."

Was this before or after you shook hands?!

After....   :'(

pg, I believe you've told that before, and I laugh every time I hear it.  Not at you, but just... that just seems to be "Tater" in a nutshell, to me. 

Yup.  I've either told it here or over at the purple forum.  It was surreal and actually left me speechless.  I think I expected him to start laughing or something, but he just kinda said it matter of factly and looked at me like, "any other questions?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  On April 27, 1992, I got to attend the filming of the MTV/VH1 "Unplugged" show.  Geoff was much cooler then:  When I asked if they were going to do the "Canticle" part of "Scarborough Fair," he "invited" me to come up and do it if I knew it (unfortunately -- or fortunately -- I didn't know it well enough to do anything other than say "nah").

Where was that recorded?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  On April 27, 1992, I got to attend the filming of the MTV/VH1 "Unplugged" show.  Geoff was much cooler then:  When I asked if they were going to do the "Canticle" part of "Scarborough Fair," he "invited" me to come up and do it if I knew it (unfortunately -- or fortunately -- I didn't know it well enough to do anything other than say "nah").

Where was that recorded?

Warner Hollywood Studios.

www.anybodylistening.net/4-27-92.html

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks, Sam!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

Where was that recorded?

Warner Hollywood Studios.

www.anybodylistening.net/4-27-92.html

I pulled out my DVD (which I dubbed from a VHS I recorded when this originally aired) and found myself in the crowd during "I Will Remember" (behind Wilton, around the 2:30 mark).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
I've seen Queensryche maybe a half-dozen times. First was when they opened for Metallica (I went to see Queensryche play Operation Mindcrime songs)

Only reason I went on the Empire Tour was to see all of Operation Mindcrime.

Saw The Promised Land Tour too (By far my favorite Queensryche Tour)

My days of seeing Queensryche live would have ended there if not for the co-headlining Tour with Dream Theater in 2003.

Offline Peter Mc

Unfortunately for me, I never saw them in their heyday. First time was the Q2K tour which was pretty bad, then the tour where they did both Mindcrime albums in full which was even worse, then when they were opening for Judas Priest, worse again! I was totally done with them until the first Toddryche album which I really enjoyed despite how awful the sound is. Saw them on the tour for that album and it was literally like night and day from what I’d seen before, immeasurably better. Todd is a phenomenal singer, perhaps the most impressive I’ve ever seen live from a technical standpoint.