Poll

How do you feel about the band Motley Crue?

They are great
4 (8.2%)
They are good
12 (24.5%)
They are just OK
23 (46.9%)
They suck
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: How do you feel about the band Motley Crue?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline WildRanger

How do you feel about the band Motley Crue?
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
What do you think about this band?
How would you rate them? Discuss.

Offline jammindude

Re: How do you feel about the band Motley Crue?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
Only band that is HOF because of good marketing.

The dudes have exactly 3 relavent albums in 9 releases. The rest was them constantly saying how cool they were until everyone believed it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
Well...

Presently, I couldn't care less about Crue.

In early 1984, when "Looks That Kill" was put into heavy rotation on MTV and the band broke big, 16-year old me through Crue was holy-shit-amazing.  I bought Shout at the Devil and played the shit out of it and then bought Too Fast for Love.  I bought Theatre of Pain and thought it sucked and pretty much outgrew the band at that point (although I did see Crue on the GGG tour).  The band has basically been an afterthought for the past 30 years, although Crue was historically important in the rise of metal in the 80s.

The dudes have exactly 3 relavent albums in 9 releases.

I assume two of the three are TFfL and SatD.  What's the third?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
I honestly don't like them.  Mick Mars seems like an all right chap and guitarist who sometimes look like a punching bag.  Vince Neil and Tommy Lee can go ahead and fade into obscurity for all I care.  Nikki Sixx isn't all that better than the other two I hate, but he's the leader of Sixx: A.M.  A band that I really like whose lyrical content seems much more relateable to me than Motley Crue.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Great.  Nikki is an awesome songwriter.  Vince may not be the best live singer, but he sounds perfect on the classic records. 

To me, they were the most honest band of the sunset strip/hair band era (plus GNR).  They really lived that lifestyle and exuded it on their records.  It wasn't like they were pretending to be who they were, or joined in the fad (Poison....) just to sell albums. 

I saw them on their Greatest Hits tour in 1999 - I had 3rd row seats and my college roommate and I just walked up the aisle and stood in the front row.  Security could have cared less.  Tommy had just been released from jail and was back on tour.  Classic song after classic song.  Fist-bumped Tommy and Vince, got sprayed with a CO2 fire extinguisher as Tommy ran across the front of the stage with it. 

Saw them again on the Maximum Rock tour with the Scorps in an amphitheater, and then the arena show in 2005 for Carnival of Sins, which had a fantastic stage show and setlist.  They always put on a great show, despite Vince's vocals lacking.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
As a band they're pretty horrible. Not one good album from start to finish in their entire career, and their debut is one of the worst rock albums I have ever heard, no exaggeration. The entirety of their good selections can be found on their 1998 Greatest Hits album, and even that has a few turds in the punch bowl.

That said... most of those songs on that compilation are some of the best songs rock music has ever had. It's not enough to redeem the rest of their awful catalog, but I'll never say a bad thing about songs like Kickstart My Heart, Too Young To Fall In Love, Girls Girls Girls etc. Shout At The Devil sucks, but Motley Crue is strange in that they have lots of lows, but their highs are almost unmatched by any other hard rock group.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
If it weren't for Crue, what would the girls at the shoe show dance to?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
I was intrigued by TFFL when it came out, and generally liked Shout At the Devil. As pg says, Theater Of Pain was a huge step down. GGG was pretty bad too, but I thought Dr. Feelgood wasn't too bad.

I managed to see the ToP, GGG, and Dr. F tours.

I was never really ever a fan in the 80's, but the shows were always fantastic. As Grap says, they seemed like the real deal.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
I've never heard a single song by them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
Apathy
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »
Really like their songs Nothing but a Good Time, Round and Round, and She's Only Seventeen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »
Motley has never really been a mainstay for me. I think Dr. Feelgood and the self-titled with Corabi are their best ALBUMS, and I listened to them on probably a yearly basis or so. But the rest of the catalog is really hit and miss. Some good songs, some terrible ones. Nikki is a great songwriter, and Tommy is a solid drummer. But Vince is horrendous, and Mick...I am just not sure why he is lauded the way he is. Talented dude, and very successful. But he doesn't stand out to me at all -- even back in the day.

So I voted they are "OK."
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »
Really like their songs Nothing but a Good Time, Round and Round, and She's Only Seventeen.

:rollin
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »

Is this possible? Over 30 years? I can almost guarantee you have heard at least one or two songs by them somewhere...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »

Is this possible? Over 30 years? I can almost guarantee you have heard at least one or two songs by them somewhere...

Since you are obviously new to the forum, please allow me to bring you up to speed: Chuck likes to say controversial things just for the sake of being controversial.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
Shout at the Devil is a great album and easily their best.

Too Fast For Love, Theater, GGG, and Dr Feelgood range between ok to good.  The Corabi album was solid but so far removed from the Crue sound.  Generation Swine, New Tattoo and Saints were all the shits.

So overall, I would say they are good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
Good.  Their greatest hits is a really solid collections of songs.  They definitely aren't great, and since I enjoy them, I can't say they are bad. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »

Since you are obviously new to the forum, please allow me to bring you up to speed: Chuck likes to say controversial things just for the sake of being controversial.  :lol

:lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »
Great on the background while having fun, just ok focusing the ear.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
Never cared for them or thought they were very good.  That being said... I LOVED Sixx A.M.'s Heroin Diaries!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
I chose they're OK. They've got some great songs, especially on SatD, and selections across the rest of their catalog, but most of their stuff ain't worth listening to, IMO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
I like their debut and Dr. Feelgood but nothing else has really interested me. I think my favorite song of theirs is either Toast Of The Town (and TFFL b-side) or Slice Of Your Pie. That riff is unreal and I like the She's So Heavy outro.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »

Get out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
I'm not familiar with many of their songs outside of the big hits, but I do enjoy the songs that I know so I voted that I think they're good. Kickstart My Heart is an awesome song  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
The band overall - great  - based on their achievements/status/profile .

The music - good on average.  I could produce a great compilation from their career.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
They have a lot of good songs, and I think their self-titled is fantastic, even if it doesn't actually sound like "Motley Crue".  But I lost interest when they brought Vince back.  So, I went with the "good" option.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
Well...

Presently, I couldn't care less about Crue.

In early 1984, when "Looks That Kill" was put into heavy rotation on MTV and the band broke big, 16-year old me through Crue was holy-shit-amazing.  I bought Shout at the Devil and played the shit out of it and then bought Too Fast for Love.  I bought Theatre of Pain and thought it sucked and pretty much outgrew the band at that point (although I did see Crue on the GGG tour).  The band has basically been an afterthought for the past 30 years, although Crue was historically important in the rise of metal in the 80s.

The dudes have exactly 3 relavent albums in 9 releases.

I assume two of the three are TFfL and SatD.  What's the third?

Like it or not, Dr Feelgood was a fairly decent album, and made a pretty big stamp. After the very lackluster and generic Top and GGG, I thought they were totally done. But DF was actually pretty good. I was surprised.  Still not quite up to the early stuff...but worthy of mention.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »
Voted they are just ok. I really like some of their songs, but their albums have more mediocre songs than really good songs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:47:52 AM by NoseofNicko »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 01:40:03 AM »
I think Dr. Feelgood and the self-titled with Corabi are their best ALBUMS

Agree with the S/T being a great album. Corabi brought a real sense of relevance to a band that were becoming a joke. Shame it wasn't more successful...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »
I might have, but if I did, I am not aware of it. And if I heard the same songs again, I probably wouldn't recognize them.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 05:07:37 AM »
I consider myself a fan, but I only like Too Fast for Love, Shout, and Theater... a few songs after that. I like the songs, sound, and the attitude on those albums.
They were definitely a "right place at the right time" kinda band.  Say what you will about Tommy Lee, but he was a kick-ass drummer right from the get-go on TFFL. Mick Mars had some cool riffs. Kudos to Sixx because he wrote the songs... all whilst being completely out of his mind. (Read his first book, you'll know what I mean.)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 05:46:34 AM »
I think Dr. Feelgood and the self-titled with Corabi are their best ALBUMS

Exactly what I was thinking, especially the first Corabi record gets spun once in a while. Never really cared for the rest, so voted "ok".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 05:55:19 AM »
Home Sweet Home is one of the best "band on the road" ballads.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
Home Sweet Home is one of the best "band on the road" ballads.

The thing I most remember about that song was that everyone seemed to lose their minds about Tommy Lee playing both piano and drums.  As a Rush fan, I was like, "whatever."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
Only band that is HOF because of good marketing.

The dudes have exactly 3 relavent albums in 9 releases. The rest was them constantly saying how cool they were until everyone believed it.

Pretty much this, but man SATD had some great riffs. I bought that thing in '84 and listened to it all the time.