Author Topic: Five Years Later: Self-Titled Album  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Five Years Later: Self-Titled Album
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
My least favorite DT album, behind their WDADU. I only like Illumination Theory and the intro suite. Otherwise pretty much what Stewie said, especially about Enigma Machine.
I wish we had a BR release from The Astonishing tour instead of this one, although SDV from Breaking Fourth Wall is boss.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Robo4900

• Bacon Connoisseur
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
I love it.

Knew it'd be an instant classic for me when I first heard it, and I've never gone back on that. While Dramatic Turn was an exercise in delivering the most clasically Dream Theater album they could produce, ironically enough the self-titled album went a bit more outside the box, exploring a wider range of sounds, and giving more of a feeling of the band moving forward into new territory.
DT12 isn't exactly the band's most different album(No-where near as much of a lateral move as Astonishing would be, for instance), but it was a breath of fresh air after the somewhat samey(Though still really awesome for what it was) Dramatic Turn album, and honestly, I really like every song on the album. Wouldn't skip a single track, and would be happy to hear any of them come up on shuffle, or just to listen to the whole album.

Really, my only complaint with DT12 is the fact the CD release is too compressed, muddy, and loud. But even through this poor mastering, the songwriting and performances shine through, and I'm very happy with it. Self-titling it was a bold move, but made a statement I can totally understand and get behind.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
  • OH THAT WACKY FLETCHER!
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »
I revisited it a year ago and I found it better than what I expected. It may not be ADTOE, which is a top 5-6 DT album for me, but a year ago I thought it had aged well. I'll revisit again now and post impressions.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »
A top 5 DT album for me. I think they succeeded in what they set out to do with it.  Along with I&W and ADTOE, itís one of their most consistent albums.  Every song is solid, and it flows really well. Itís always an enjoyable listen for me!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »
A top 5 DT album for me. I think they succeeded in what they set out to do with it.  Along with I&W and ADTOE, itís one of their most consistent albums.  Every song is solid, and it flows really well. Itís always an enjoyable listen for me!

I agree. Consistent seems to be the right word to use when describing this album. Not their best album, but all of it is very very good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • RIP Edward Bozoian, my best friend. 1989 - 2009
    • Link to my solo album
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2018, 12:38:10 AM »
Listened the other day - still hate the snare sound. I honestly don't know what the fuck any of those guys were thinking with that. Other than that, it still ranks pretty solid for me. I think the ending to TBP is still one of the greatest things DT has ever written. The whole song is fantastic, but that ending is unlike anything they've ever really written (lyrically and vocally). James sounds great on the album. I like everything except the way his voice sounds on the harmonies towards the end of AFTR, and the riffing he doesn't over JP's solo at the end of IT. But that's just due to my own personal taste.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2018, 01:23:48 AM »
Ok so I know nothing technical about drums really. I know I love the SDOIT drum sound and I&W not as much by ear. But can someone explain the snare issue on this album to me? Like an example when the snare sound in DT is good and when it sounds bad on this album. I am not questioning, just really interested to understand what everyone is talking about.

I do remember listening to Enemy Inside (on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ) and thinking it sounds a LOT better in general. The snares are less "heavy" and more of "imph" instead of "omph". But is that really the big problem? I think the cymbals are what really stands out in that video compared to the album. They sound so clear and dynamic and the general sound i more "lively". I guess that's why I favor listening to the DT album songs on The 4th Wall because they sound alive and awesome :)

Edit: Starting to analyze the album and Youtube video I must say that the drum sound at 4:15 is bad on the album and quite different on the Youtube video. It's hard to understand what's even going on the album at that time because it's all muffled but on the video it's crystal clear.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:38:15 AM by Pettor »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
The issue with the snare sound is that it is tuned so low. It's becoming some sort of trend nowadays, with Icefish doing it with Virgil Donati's drums, but the snare in the DT album is really low. The problem with it, as noted by Mangini, is that he really can not play ghost notes too much with that tuning, which is why he experimented and transferred many of the ghost notes to his ride sources.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2018, 03:53:38 PM »
Still think it's pretty solid. Is it Dream Theater by numbers?  Yeah. It's a pretty safe record for them.

They seem to be getting more adventurous more recently, and for me, that's a good thing.