Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Five Years Later: Self-Titled Album

(1/50) > >>

TheOutlawXanadu:
Earlier today, I felt the urge to listen to DT12. I then realized that it was released almost five years ago. Looking back on it, what are everyone's thoughts? In my opinion, it is a terrific record that holds a special place in the DT catalog because it has such short songs. It is very listenable on the go, something you can't always say about DT. My personal favorites are The Looking Glass, Behind the Veil, Surrender to Reason, and Illumination Theory. :metal

Dublagent66:
Not too memorable for me.  Mostly disappointing.  Especially the closer.  I like 3 tracks on that album in the following order.

Behind The Veil
The Looking Glass

The Enemy Inside

The Walrus:
Bottom of the barrel DT for me unfortunately, only made worse by the terrible production. Even on the first listen I wasn't impressed with this one. Illumination Theory has its moments, The Looking Glass is cool, but the production just makes them not fun to hear, and the rest is too boring for me to bother with. I thought ADTOE was a much better album and The Astonishing actually sounded inspired and fresh.

The last Blu-ray with Illumination Theory was really cool, though. That song is neat (in places) and I love the last few minutes to death with the beautiful strings, Mangini's powerful fills, and the lyrics in the last bit.

krands85:
It falls towards the bottom of my DT rankings. I mean it's still good really, I just have such high standards when it comes to this band.

Illumination Theory is brilliant and a top 10 DT track - I love how it's all put together - but the rest of the album falls a bit short. The Enemy Inside is an enjoyable rocker/single type song and I really like Surrender to Reason and False Awakening Suite too, though I'd have preferred if they were a little longer.

The Bigger Picture and Behind the Veil are decent, but I don't rank them that highly among the dozens of incredible songs the band has written. Along for the Ride is OK, but generally I prefer the other sides/styles of DT.

Enigma Machine is probably their worst instrumental and doesn't really work for me. Finally, The Looking Glass is a song I've never liked for some reason, it's among my least favourite by the band.

Aside from the individual songs, the production isn't great and I'm also not that keen on self-titled albums, unless it's a debut album. I do like the simple album art though.

KevShmev:
I listened to this a while back for the first time in a while and still loved it.  It is very consistent and easy to listen to from start to finish.  For me, it doesn't have any any top, or even second, tier Dream Theater songs, but it's an album with all 8's and 9's. 

Surrender to Reason was always in my mix of favorite from this, and I think I'd call it my favorite now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version