Author Topic: Is the praise for DoT for the album itself or b/c it's Not-The-Astonishing?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Volante99

I think it’s a valid question.

I think fans are probably a bit more forgiving now being that it’s a bit of a return to form coming off of two very devisive and, in my opinion, lackluster albums (DT12 and TA). I also think people are happy that MM has finally found his “voice” within the band.

That said, there’s simply not enough MEAT to this album for me to put it near the top of the DT album heap. Barstool Warrior and At Wit’s End are great songs, but beyond that, I haven’t found much to really sink my teeth into. And while better than D12, the production is still lacking

Right now I would rank it around the same level as Black Clouds, but only higher than SC, TA, and D12. But ADToE is still the best MM era album and, in my book, is superior in almost ever way to D/T.

Offline DT1138

The Astonishing is the one DT album I've never heard, and based on all the divided opinions (and what I've read of the concept) it just doesn't appeal to me.

Regardless, I think DoT is a great album by itself, and it's my fav album of theirs in more than 10 years.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

I think fans are probably a bit more forgiving now being that it’s a bit of a return to form coming off of two very devisive and, in my opinion, lackluster albums (DT12 and TA). I also think people are happy that MM has finally found his “voice” within the band.

That said, there’s simply not enough MEAT to this album for me to put it near the top of the DT album heap. Barstool Warrior and At Wit’s End are great songs, but beyond that, I haven’t found much to really sink my teeth into. And while better than D12, the production is still lacking

Right now I would rank it around the same level as Black Clouds, but only higher than SC, TA, and D12. But ADToE is still the best MM era album and, in my book, is superior in almost ever way to D/T.

Was the self-titled album that controversial? I don't remember much talk about it when it came out.

Agreed about A Dramatic Turn of Events.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Volante99

Was the self-titled album that controversial? I don't remember much talk about it when it came out.

Agreed about A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Hmm maybe not controversial. I know there was backlash on the production and especially Mangini’s drum sound. People really weren’t thrilled by the first single, Enemy Inside (but that’s nothing new for DT) and I think very few ranked it in the top of DT’s discography (unlike D/T). To be fair, many had the exact same feelings about ADoE (and On the Backs of Angels) but I think the overall consensus has been that album has gotten better in the context of the entire MM era, whereas the years haven’t been as kind to D12. Time will tell which way it swings for D/T.

Again, everyone has their own likes/dislikes/opinions but those are my observations.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:54:28 PM by Volante99 »

Offline the_silent_man

I think it partially is.

It's more of a return to form after the last 2 than anything that can stack up to albums like I&W, Awake, Scenes, SDOIT, TOT or ADTOE.

Honestly, it doesn't really do anything different that the self-titled did (short songs etc) - however for now it feels more inspired, more memorable and for the most part the ideas are fully fleshed out (unlike TA, which had flashes of brilliance but a lot of the ideas came and went too fast and were not built upon).
And I enjoyed the self titled when I do listen to it... however I feel little reason to pick it over pretty much any other DT album. I worry that this album will fall into that category once the 'new album smell' has worn off. Time will tell.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Was the self-titled album that controversial?

Nope.  Most people put it about middle of the road or upper middle. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Controversial opinion, please don't attack me, but given that DoT thus far has failed to wow me on a personal level, and I really haven't felt the need to keep replaying it, all of the praise for the album seems really weird to me.  I don't get what's so amazing about it and why people seem to be losing their minds over it.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Hmm maybe not controversial. I know there was backlash on the production and especially Mangini’s drum sound. People really weren’t thrilled by the first single, Enemy Inside (but that’s nothing new for DT) and I think very few ranked it in the top of DT’s discography (unlike D/T). To be fair, many had the exact same feelings about ADoE (and On the Backs of Angels) but I think the overall consensus has been that album has gotten better in the context of the entire MM era, whereas the years haven’t been as kind to D12. Time will tell which way it swings for D/T.

Again, everyone has their own likes/dislikes/opinions but those are my observations.

Was the self-titled album that controversial?

Nope.  Most people put it about middle of the road or upper middle.

I see.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!