Author Topic: Your Thought on my Dream Theater Party  (Read 933 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Your Thought on my Dream Theater Party
« on: April 22, 2019, 06:31:43 AM »
This Saturday I recently threw a small party in my house for Prince where we watched the Sign o The Times Concert film and Purple Rain.

I have a fairly large home theater with a Paradigm 7.2 System and love watching concerts!

Since my favorite band is DT I thought about throwing another party related to DT culminating in the "ultimate 3 Hour concert experience." I have some friends who are huge DT fans but couldn't make the show this month to see Scenes in it's entirety.

My idea was to craft a setlist that would flow well and that would demonstrate what I love about the band including scenes in a 3 hour set.

I have a Sony 4k player and a Ps4 and Xbox one I will have pre setup with different discs to reduce wait time between songs.

Obviously I am limited to songs on DVD's and Blu Rays with that in mind here is my current set list...

1. The Mirror - Breaking the Fourth Wall
2. Lie - Breaking the Fourth Wall
3. After Life - Score
4. Take The Time - Tokyo
5. Surrounded - Luna Park
6. Lines in the Sand - Bucharest (This specific version was a special request from a friend attending)
7. These Walls - Luna Park
8. To Live Forever - Tokyo
9. Trial of Tears - Budakon
10. Metropolis Part 1 - Score

Intermission

12. All of Metropolis Part 2, Live in New York DVD

Encore

13. In the name of God - Budakon.

Total running time aprox: 3 Hours, 2 min.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and I'm open to ideas about set list changes keeping in mind we can only work with the current DVD's available.

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Your Thought on my Dream Theater Party
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 06:41:18 AM »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:44:58 AM »
I'd put Metropolis as opener but I assume you want it to ideally segue into Metropolis pt 2... I'd say another good opener would be The Root of All Evil, replacing Afterlife, and well, basically anything else in place of To Live Forever which is a good song but all in all a forgotten b-side... Any Mangini song would do
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »
I would throw a Mangini song in there. Maybe use Bridges in the Sky as your opener, or throw Breaking All Illusions in there somewhere. Also, and this is more personal preference, I would use either A Change of Seasons from Live Scenes or Octavarium from Score as your encore. If you’re trying to make the ultimate DT live experience, closing it out with one of the two elite tier epics would probably be the best way to go.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask