Author Topic: RIP Vinnie Paul  (Read 3095 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: RIP Vinnie Paul
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
That's crazy...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:02 PM »
This is fucking insane.
Brave
Murder
Day

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »
Shocked by this. Just sucks.

Listening to Cemetery Gates as I type this.

He's with Dime now. Look out afterlife.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
Shocked by this. Just sucks.

Listening to Cemetery Gates as I type this.

He's with Dime now. Look out afterlife.

Sorry to hear of his passing.  I can't call myself a huge Pantera fan but select songs , such as Cemetary Gates, are all time faves.

A good guy and a huge Van Halen fan (often wore his VH neck chain).........a man after my own heart  ;D

RIP Vinnie.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 12:07:50 AM »
Oh shit. What a shock when I came in and read this thred title. Big Pantera fan. Solid no bulkshit drummer. I wonder how this happened.

RIP Vinnie, you and Dimebag are together again.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 12:17:45 AM »
An unexpected shock. Died too young, as with Dimebag. RIP. :(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »
 :sad:

R.I.P. Vinnie.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »
That is shocking and sad. LOVED Pantera back in the day and have recently been revisiting all their work. Unreal.....entirely too young.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 01:28:04 AM »
Sad news, much too soon.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 02:00:18 AM »
Not a big fan of Pantera, but he seemed like great guy!

54 is way too early to go, R.I.P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 02:15:36 AM »
This one really hurts. Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands. If there is an afterlife, hopefully he’s jamming with his brother.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:32:20 AM »
Damn it, not Vinnie! He was such a great spirit and drummer!

Now he's up there jamming with his brother atleast!  :metal

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 04:29:59 AM »
Time for....

Domination...

https://youtu.be/lYPFrXvc2rE

Edit:....Still can't believe it though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:58:08 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 05:34:41 AM »
RIP Vinnie.   :-[
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 05:50:10 AM »
Damn.  I saw  Pantera 9 times in the 1990's and they were definitely one of the most intense live bands I've ever seen--with a large part of that being Vinnie's killer drums.  Two decades later, and two of the four members are no longer with us and any hope for even a partial reunion is pretty much gone forever.

RIP to Vinnie.   

Addition:  This was a tough week for 90's stars, as we also lost Leon "Vader" White, a major star from the pro wrestling industry.  RIP to Vader. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:33:32 PM by CrimsonE »
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »
Really sad news to hear. RIP Vinnie

Offline Art

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »
RIP Vinnie   :(

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Fuck! Used to be a  big Pantera fan. 54 is such a young age. RIP, Vinnie. If there is such a thing as Heaven and Dime is there, say hello for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
Big bummer. Totally unexpected. I'm curious as to the cause of death. Not that it really matters. We all die. Some sooner, some later. Death is the elephant in the room. None of us will escape it.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
RIP very sad at least he's with his brother now in the afterlife if it exists :)
For like a week after hearing Reinventing for the first time I kept hearing Yesterday Don't Mean Shit just because of his drumming, he was pretty awesome at that :(

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
Blabbermouth shared my video of Bret Michaels dedicating the Poison concert to Vinnie last night, those guys were close  :(  https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/poison-dedicates-holmdel-concert-to-vinnie-paul-video/

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
Not a big fan of Pantera, but he seemed like great guy!

54 is way too early to go, R.I.P

This is me; not a fan of Pantera, but he seemed pretty cool, and 54 is just too young (says the 50 year old guy). 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
 :'( What makes it extra sad is just like with his brother, so many people across the music world, particularly the rock/metal scene always seemed to love both Dime and Vinnie. Like these two appear to have been genuinely excellent guys as well as killer musicians. RIP Vinnie

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
There was a Posion concern LAST NIGHT?!?! As in last night in the year 2018?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:42 AM »
This just sucks.  I loved Pantera and saw them three times before they disbanded - an indoor show at the Aragon Ballrom in 1997 (I was 17) remains one of my favorite concerts of all time.  Taking their energy and capturing it indoors in a ballroom was just unreal.  Vinnie and Dime just seemed like two cool, down to earth guys, and it's really sad to think that they're together again now.

I'll be binging on Pantera all week.   :metal :'( :metal :'(

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »
np: VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER

RIP Vin. Never had the opportunity to see him or his brother play live, and I regret that. Feel horrible for his father. To bury two sons...man. Peace to his family.

Time to go crank the ever-lovin' shit out of Pantera.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
Lot's of mentions of dad; I thought they lost touch after Pantera hit it big?   

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »

Not to my knowledge.  That reminded me of an interesting Vinnie Paul story - interesting to me at least.

I work as a commercial insurance agent.  At my prior agency, around 2008-2009, one of the brokers/salesmen received a lead in writing an Author's E&O policy - liability coverage for an author that may make a claim in a book and be sued because of it.  The client was the Estate of Darrel Lance Abbott (Dimebag Darrell). 

Vinnie and his dad put together a picture book about Dime and their lawyer recommended this specific type of insurance policy.  So we receive the insurance applications, signed by Vinnie himself and a copy of the book to forward to underwriters.  We wrote the policy and being a fan, I asked for the copy of the book back from the underwriter.  I printed off the applications to keep with the book (which I had forgotten about and recently found while organizing my basement.

It was one way that my career in insurance collided with my hobby as a metalhead (another was issuing proof of insurance naming the members of Bon Jovi as insureds on my client's policy - the client created some software that Bon Jovi was going to use on tour in conjunction with their live show).   :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »

Not to my knowledge.  That reminded me of an interesting Vinnie Paul story - interesting to me at least.

I work as a commercial insurance agent.  At my prior agency, around 2008-2009, one of the brokers/salesmen received a lead in writing an Author's E&O policy - liability coverage for an author that may make a claim in a book and be sued because of it.  The client was the Estate of Darrel Lance Abbott (Dimebag Darrell). 

Vinnie and his dad put together a picture book about Dime and their lawyer recommended this specific type of insurance policy.  So we receive the insurance applications, signed by Vinnie himself and a copy of the book to forward to underwriters.  We wrote the policy and being a fan, I asked for the copy of the book back from the underwriter.  I printed off the applications to keep with the book (which I had forgotten about and recently found while organizing my basement.

It was one way that my career in insurance collided with my hobby as a metalhead (another was issuing proof of insurance naming the members of Bon Jovi as insureds on my client's policy - the client created some software that Bon Jovi was going to use on tour in conjunction with their live show).   :)

You had told me about that, and I completely forgot. Wow, that is cool.

Regarding the Abbott brothers and their Dad, I remember hearing that they parted with their dad musically when they hit it big, but I don't think that was anything personal. Even if it was, it is just so sad that their Dad had to bury them. No parent should have to bury their children.   :'(

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Cool tribute to Vinnie from his band Hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQ7wQ2fIFI
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
Sad. Pantera were perfect for two albums. Very good for one. And bemusingly underachieving for the rest.

I wonder what happened to him. And why he was always so tight lipped re Phil after Dime's death. I guess we'll never know now.

Off topic. Dime was a great player but there's a huge amount of sentimentality about him in a way I'm not comfortable with. Jeff Hanneman leaves more of a gap for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 01:39:49 AM »
Sad. Pantera were perfect for two albums. Very good for one. And bemusingly underachieving for the rest.

I wonder what happened to him. And why he was always so tight lipped re Phil after Dime's death. I guess we'll never know now.

Off topic. Dime was a great player but there's a huge amount of sentimentality about him in a way I'm not comfortable with. Jeff Hanneman leaves more of a gap for me.

Apparently, he died from a massive heart attack.
He took Phil responsible for Dime's death because of his declarations after the band split.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.

My pleasure!

B.Lee