Author Topic: RIP Vinnie Paul  (Read 3164 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: RIP Vinnie Paul
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

So is it just me, or does this make no sense at all? I gather some of those periods are supposed to be commas, but it's still pretty strange.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
I don't agree with it.  But the statement is about being in the moment.   Thinking about whether or not it's a "good time" to do something is making up your mind that it won't be before it happens.

The third and forth statements are just a observation of...."the time will be good if it's good, and bad if it's bad."    It's a "just do it" and find out how it works out later. 

I've done enough of this through personal experience to discover that this creates more problems than it solves, and is an ultimately selfish way to live life.   But to each their own.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
I don't agree with it.  But the statement is about being in the moment.   Thinking about whether or not it's a "good time" to do something is making up your mind that it won't be before it happens.

The third and forth statements are just a observation of...."the time will be good if it's good, and bad if it's bad."    It's a "just do it" and find out how it works out later. 

I've done enough of this through personal experience to discover that this creates more problems than it solves, and is an ultimately selfish way to live life.   But to each their own.
Ah, so it's two different sayings. One of which is very poorly written, and the other has a very different meaning but shares enough words and theme to make the whole thing a confusing mess. Seriously, I have some experience in printing the gibberish of others, and if a customer submits that, for a tombstone no less, I'm sending it back for revisions.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
DICK ALERT, DICK ALERT:   I'll cop to this, but I'm also not really going to apologize, becuase I'm not busting on Vinnie (or, as you'll see, a sick kid), but would it be the end of the world to have someone proof your statement which is, LITERALLY, set in stone?

There's a restaurant near me that is basically just a diner but it's set in a train car, so it's cool.  As you enter, there's a handwritten poster with some pictures of this boy that has.... I'm going to say leukemia.   And it's basically a thank you of sorts to the restaurant (for helping to raise some cash) as well as a continued plea for same.   I was up there a week or so ago, and I'm reading it, and while the intent is clear, and I'm all for that (and not that it's relevant or anyone's bizniss, but I made that clear with a donation) I had to read it like three times and I was just shaking my head the entire time.  It was stream of consciousness, written-like-you-speak, and chock full of the sort of buzzwords and lingo you'd see all over Facebook.   And it was clear that even if they didn't get someone to proof it (which they clearly didn't) I'd match the can if the person that wrote it even read through it once themselves after writing it.   

And why do I view this as relevant?  Because it's supposed to be honoring the dead/sick/victim.  Show some respect. Put some effort in.  I suppose there's the argument that it's "from the gut", but there are plenty of very eloquent, very well-written homages, honors or tributes that still hold emotional resonance. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
There's not a tombstone company in the world that's going to create something without sending their artwork off to the customer to sign off on it. Whoever signed off on it just didn't recognize the problems. The moral needs to be to have a second person proof it. Ideally the engravers are that second person and should have pointed out some suggestions. I have no idea if that happened or not, but it probably didn't. At my company the people who deal with customers are reticent to contact them about this sort of thing to make suggestions. I'll insist on fixing spelling mistakes, but it's generally not worth the fight to try and get punctuation or grammatical changes done. I would have done something here to try and make it a little more sensible, but it still wouldn't have been great.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »
It took me a few times to read through that but I think I finally get what it's trying to say

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
Dimebag had his own lingo, so to speak. I heard him call it "Dimebonics" on a video. It consisted of words/phrases he would use that were unique to him that meant certain things but people would understand what he was saying. Things like "getcha pull" and such.

I don't think this would be a Vinnie quote because he didn't talk that way. Vinnie always seemed to make sense and his words were thought out before he spoke. It looks like a bad attempt at "Dimebonics" or something like that.

I wonder who signed off on it.