Author Topic: Blaze Bayley among the most humble musicians  (Read 1487 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Blaze Bayley among the most humble musicians
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
I saw Blaze Bayley for the second time in three weeks and I am impressed at just how humble this man is. Three weeks ago, I went up to NJ to see MindMaze, who was opening for him. My only knowledge of his music was his two Maiden albums, which I never really listened to. But he put on a great show and I picked up the two CDs he had on sale at the show and two more at Vintage Vinyl the day after. Been digging his music. The MindMaze guitarist posted after the show how he approached them to buy a CD from them, and when they tried to just give it, he insisted he pay. Clearly a working musician understanding that other working musicians need to make money as well.

Fast forward to three weeks later. This time, I go to the show outside of Baltimore to support him. More of his music was added to the collection (which is now complete, not counting his Wolfsbane material and assorted guest appearances). I miss the first three openers and catch A Sound of Thunder's set. Before their set, Blaze is milling about, talking to fans, signing autographs, taking pictures and being generally approachable. I get my X Factor and Virtual XI booklets signed. After A Sound of Thunder's set, I go to their merch table to buy a couple of CDs and a graphic novel. As I am closing the transaction with that band's lead singer, Blaze comes up and lets her know that while the table was unmanned, he sold a CD for them while he was standing near it and passed along the money from the sale.

Seeing a headlining musician who once fronted one of the most popular metal bands of all time doing the little things to help the local bands was cool. He clearly gets it. How many headlining acts would help man the merch table of the local support band? Just a really cool interaction to witness. He is the kind of musician I will continue to support, even if the music doesn't resonate with me. Luckily for me, I have been thoroughly enjoying his solo material. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Blaze Bayley among the most humble musicians
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
Blaze is an awesome guy. He's definitely been humbled by life, but he's of such character that he wears it really well. We saw him play down here for the Survive and Endure tour. He played a shithole on the far side of Ft. Worth where at most 20 people showed up, and a few of them were regulars sitting at the back. When the band came out he huddled them at the back of the stage for a minute or so, most likely telling them that we deserve the same show they'd play for 500, and then put on a damn fine set. It was both thrilling and depressing at the same time. More people should appreciate the guy. It was really unfortunate, as had he played in Dallas he would have gotten a decent turnout. His promoter really screwed him on his Texas tour.

Also, his band is great. Bass and drums are super tight, and Chris Appleton is fantastic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
I've always liked Blaze, I should have gone to that NJ show but I didn't find out about it until too late. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »
He's as down to earth as they come. Genuinely nice person, just about making a living as a musician.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
As I am closing the transaction with that band's lead singer, Blaze comes up and lets her know that while the table was unmanned, he sold a CD for them while he was standing near it and passed along the money from the sale.

I'm not the biggest fan of the music, but very much a fan of the man.  This is the kind of thing that would make me buy the music just because and go to the gig just because.  That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »
As I am closing the transaction with that band's lead singer, Blaze comes up and lets her know that while the table was unmanned, he sold a CD for them while he was standing near it and passed along the money from the sale.

I'm not the biggest fan of the music, but very much a fan of the man.  This is the kind of thing that would make me buy the music just because and go to the gig just because.  That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

Bingo. If he ever plays out by me again, I plan to make an effort to be there. Because someone who does that deserves the support. I like the music enough that making an effort to go and support someone who does things like that is an easy call.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »

Bingo. If he ever plays out by me again, I plan to make an effort to be there. Because someone who does that deserves the support. I like the music enough that making an effort to go and support someone who does things like that is an easy call.
And buy a shirt while you're there. I've worn mine to a couple of shows just to try and keep the guy in public realm. And like I said, the man puts on a great show, so it's not like it's charity or anything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »
I saw Blaze thrice, and every single time he hung around for a while signing stuff and taking photos. He once just sat at the edge of the stage right after the show and allowed fans approach him. He's truly an amazing guy.

Oh yeah, lets not forget he's a awesome singer who added a lot of personality to Maiden's The X Factor and whose solo material is pretty much constantly good. :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
 :metal SILICON MESSIAH  :metal

I love Blaze.  Always have, even though his Maiden albums are fairly low on my list, they still have some fantastic songs and I'm glad that he continues to play them.  His solo albums are always rocking.

Luke Appleton (Iced Earth) will be joining his brother (Chris) in Blaze's band this summer for their festival sets, where Blaze will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of his joining Iron Maiden by playing a large group of his songs from that era.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
And buy a shirt while you're there. I've worn mine to a couple of shows just to try and keep the guy in public realm. And like I said, the man puts on a great show, so it's not like it's charity or anything.

I did. There wasn't anything left that I wanted to buy at the second show (I bought the tour shirt along with the two CDs he was selling at the first gig I went to) so I went to his website and purchased an older tour shirt to add to the collection and throw a little more support his way. I thought about buying the CDs I didn't have yet there too, but with everything, plus the exchange rate to the UK and shipping, it was getting a cost prohibitive. So I just stuck with the t-shirt. Since he has no label, I figure he will still get money from the sales through Amazon and iTunes that I picked up to fill in the blanks in my collection.

I kinda wish I was in Europe for one of the festival gigs where he is going an all-Maiden set from his two albums. I got to hear him do four songs (Virus, Man on the Edge, Futureal, Lord of the Flies) and they, in their own way, sounded better than the original Maiden recordings. Hoping one of the sets gets recorded for release.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 02:19:21 PM »
I kinda wish I was in Europe for one of the festival gigs where he is going an all-Maiden set from his two albums. I got to hear him do four songs (Virus, Man on the Edge, Futureal, Lord of the Flies) and they, in their own way, sounded better than the original Maiden recordings. Hoping one of the sets gets recorded for release.

Those may be the four songs where his voice works really well with it compared to the other IM tracks where I think Bruce works better.  Bruce even sang Man on the Edge, Futureal and Lord of the Flies in live performances and none sounded as good as with Blaze.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »

Those may be the four songs where his voice works really well with it compared to the other IM tracks where I think Bruce works better.  Bruce even sang Man on the Edge, Futureal and Lord of the Flies in live performances and none sounded as good as with Blaze.
Sign of the Cross is definitely a Blaze song. Bruce sings it just fine, but Blaze has more "attitude." The other epic Blaze song is Clansman, but I think Bruce might sing it better. He belts out the "freedoms" harder than blaze.

And it occurs to me that I've heard both singers sing plenty of the same songs, including both of those.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
My favorite Blaze Bayley album is Promise And Terror. That suite at the end of the album about his wife's death is breathtaking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »

Sign of the Cross is definitely a Blaze song. Bruce sings it just fine, but Blaze has more "attitude." The other epic Blaze song is Clansman, but I think Bruce might sing it better. He belts out the "freedoms" harder than blaze.

And it occurs to me that I've heard both singers sing plenty of the same songs, including both of those.

We'll agree to disagre on Sign of the Cross.  Blaze isn't bad or anything negative on that one, but I just like Bruce better on it, and the Clansman as well.  I'm not sure there are other Blaze era songs Bruce has sung though?  Although I'm not sure Blaze sounds better on any Bruce songs, I never thought his voice was good for those songs although there were some he was solid with.  I'm thinking Afraid to Shoot Strangers might have been one, Heaven Can Wait.... I forget which others I may have enjoyed since it's been awhile since I listened to IM bootlegs with Blaze.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 04:19:33 PM »
I've been a massive fan of him since I heard the XFactor back when I was a young teen.  His solo albums are amazing but the last few I've struggled to like.

He has had such adversity and challenges but his Will to Win attitude and fight to get going with a smile on his face is remarkable.  Reading that OP doesn't surprise me, he is a champ of a man.

We share the same birthday too!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
he is a champ of a man.

Birthday of Champions!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:28 PM »
he is a champ of a man.

Birthday of Champions!

:metal  :metal  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 03:23:11 AM »
My favorite Blaze Bayley album is Promise And Terror. That suite at the end of the album about his wife's death is breathtaking.
This one is my favorite as well. Despite its brutality, it's also gorgeous in terms of tunes and choruses.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 05:13:26 AM »
I've always loved The Man Who Would Not Die.  Raw, lots of variety, heavy and lots of good songs. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:47:08 PM by wolfking »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »
I always love The Man Who Would Not Die.  Raw, lots of variety, heavy and lots of good songs.

Silicon Messiah is my favorite, but this one likely comes in at #2.  I was surprised at how heavy the album was when I first heard it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 08:05:08 AM »

Huh.  I've heard Bruce do The Clansmen (EXCELLENT!) but the thing I'm waiting for most on this tour (I'm seeing them in August) is Sign Of The Cross.   

(By the way, not talking about CDs or live cuts, I'm talking in person). 

Offline Art

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
Blaze is an awesome guy, i saw him 4 times and he was an incredibly humble guy all the times. Puts on a great show, too. My favorite is Silicon Messiah.