Author Topic: Change my view: summer is the worst season  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Change my view: summer is the worst season
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
In Seattle when you look outside and can't see Mt. Rainier it means it's raining. And if you can see Mt. Rainier, it's gonna rain.  :biggrin:

(Actually it's not that bad. It's a myth perpetuated by locals to keep everyone from wanting to move there)  :lol

It's not working. We have techies and junkies moving here by the tens of thousands.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
Oh no, Lethean, it's mostly just the weather that affects my mood. If I had it my way it'd be mid-October year-round, all day every day, never a sunny day, always overcast and cool. And I love being an introvert. I've had weekends where I come home from work on Friday and don't say a word (literally, speaking) to anyone until Monday. It's great. But also, my job for the last 10 years has been a physically demanding one, so my gripes with summer are exponentially amplified come June as a result. So that's a big factor. Heat just plain sucks  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online pg1067

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
I would be perfectly happy if the temperature never got above 70F.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
Summer is far and away my favorite season. I’m just so much happier and more comfortable in the heat than I am in the cold. If the temperature drops below 55, I’m completely miserable and can barely function. No matter how hot it is though, I can function normally even if it is uncomfortably hot, and the extended hours of sunlight help to lift my spirits.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »
Summer must be nice when it's not more than 30° C at most :P. But here is usually closer to 40°C most days so no need to change your mind.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
Good things about summer:

- Festivals and outdoor concerts
- More hours of sunlight for trips and travels
- Girls scarcely dressed

Bad things about summer:

Literally everything else

Autumn is best. Best colors, best combination of hot and cool, nice atmosphere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
Minnesota summers can be incredibly uncomfortable, I hate them. 4th of July is looking to be in the nineties and humid. A few months ago, it was 100 degrees colder. We get it all here, yet Winter is my second favorite month.
  • Fall
  • Winter
  • Spring
  • Summer

Anyways, I don't think I'll be able to change your mind with my reasons, but here a few of mine, even though I hate this time of year, I do have a few reasons to like it:

1) I love washing my truck in the driveway in the summer and detailing the inside and out. I love doing that sort of thing. Just me and some music getting my vehicle looking nice.

2) I get off work around 7 PM every day and drive home as the sun is setting, heat is going down. Driving down the highway, with the sun setting, cooler temps, windows down, for some reason it makes the music sound better. I can't put my finger on it, it just does.

3) I enjoy having my morning coffee on the deck. I do this in early fall too, but summer is great for it too.

4) Northern Minnesota (Duluth, Grand Marais, Two Harbors, Boundary Water, etc) is incredibly beautiful during this time of year. Nothing better than sitting on Lake Superior's shore with a beer, watching ships come into harbor.

5) The smell of freshly cut lawn and the smell of BBQs

6) The transition of summer into fall. Nights getting colder and days getting shorter. I love the transition of BBQ smell to bonfire smell in the cold autumn air.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lethean

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
Oh no, Lethean, it's mostly just the weather that affects my mood. If I had it my way it'd be mid-October year-round, all day every day, never a sunny day, always overcast and cool. And I love being an introvert. I've had weekends where I come home from work on Friday and don't say a word (literally, speaking) to anyone until Monday. It's great. But also, my job for the last 10 years has been a physically demanding one, so my gripes with summer are exponentially amplified come June as a result. So that's a big factor. Heat just plain sucks  :biggrin:

Well, if it affects your mood *that* much, there might be things you could do to mitigate it, that's all. 

You did say you like mildly warm sunshine, so you can't entirely hate sunny days. :)  Anyway; I used to do the same thing (not speaking for the weekend) pre-relationship.  I have kind of forced myself to be at least a little more outgoing at shows however; I go to quite a few alone and sometimes I'll go the whole night w/out speaking to anyone, but it's also nice to talk about the show, especially if it was a really good one, and I may chat with people before or after.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
I like sunshine when I can't see the sun. When it's not hovering right over me in the sky. So in the fall when the sun hangs low, I love it. Something about the low winter sun is way nicer than the summer sun, too. Maybe because it's not oppressively hot :)

I can see why some people love summer so much. Outdoors activities, cleaning the car, rolling the windows down on the road, all that good stuff. The heat ruins all that stuff for me though, so anything that can be done in the fall is usually way more appealing to me.

But it's okay, in a few months it'll be hoodie season, rustling leaves will replace the sound of lawn mowers, cold breezes will replace muggy wind, and Octoberfest will be back on shelves  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
Allow me to add another thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE about summers in the PNW...

16 hrs of daylight!!!!

I really love snow, but that’s the only thing to ever love about winter.   Winter sucks.  Cold sucks.  Dark sucks.   I hate going to work when its dark, and then coming home....and its dark.  At least if it snows, there’s something to be happy about.   But without 4-6 inches of snow, winter can jump up Roseanne’s rear end.   

I also love heat, and don’t mind the 90s at all.    If we start getting into the high 90s and almost 100...then I start to be kinda done.   But upper 80s and lower 90s is my jam.   

I love where I live.   (Except for when its about Nov-Feb)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »
It never gets that cold or snowy here though. (Jammindude and I live in the same area) That's why I love it here. Never too hot (with rare exceptions), never too cold. Too much rain can suck balls, but that isn't rain's fault. It is the crappy drainage in my back yard.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »
Hard to deny the lameness of summer at the moment. It's hot, and half the bay area is on fire right now (as usually happens in summer these days) so the air quality is shit and everything is covered in ash. Makes for a cool sunset though  :yeahright

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 06:54:25 AM »
I live in Minnesota where half the winter it's sub-zero and literally dangerous to be outside for too long. I think that's worse than mosquitoes and humidity in the summer. As much as I hate heat above the low 80's, I am much more willing to suck it up and be outside in the summer when it's too hot and humid than I am in the winter when it's cold as balls outside. And I'm all around a happier person when I spend time outside.

Late summer and early fall are the best in Minnesota, September/October. If you could bottle that shit up, I'd live in that year round.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »
Oh boy, I just love standing around and sweating after 2 minutes of doing absolutely nothing. It's in the 90s with super high humidity here. GTFO summer and bring me autumn.  :biggrin:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »
I love dry L.A. heat, the hotter the better for me.  Anything under 70 and I'm cold.  Yesterday was the first morning in weeks I didn't wake up to overcast and fog.  Should be around 100 tomorrow :metal  I drive around with the windows down in it.  I don't mind a little sweat.

I love summer.  Heat, sunshine, baseball, less traffic (no school). 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
This last week certainly has me leaning towards Summer being in the 'not much fun' category at the moment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
This last week certainly has me leaning towards Summer being in the 'not much fun' category at the moment.

Amen brotha.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online pg1067

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »
I love dry L.A. heat, the hotter the better for me.  Anything under 70 and I'm cold.  Yesterday was the first morning in weeks I didn't wake up to overcast and fog.  Should be around 100 tomorrow :metal  I drive around with the windows down in it.  I don't mind a little sweat.

I love summer.  Heat, sunshine, baseball, less traffic (no school).

Tomorrow is going to be shitty.  You can have it.  I went to game 1 of the World Series last year.  It was something like 103 at first pitch.  For ANY game other than a World Series game I wouldn't have gone.  It was miserably hot.  Yuck.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
When we went to Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago, we fucking baked in the sun. It was so hot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
It's only 82 degrees where I am. Yet I have the AC running!

Online pg1067

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
When we went to Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago, we fucking baked in the sun. It was so hot.

I won't even go to day games anymore.  Sitting in the sun in the middle of a crowd is terrible.  I remember going to a Sunday afternoon game at Anaheim Stadium years ago, and 90% of the people in the front of our section migrated to the back rows in order to get under the cover of the overhang from the section above.

By comparison, I went to a Denver Broncos game about 10 year ago the week after Christmas.  The game started at 2:15 p.m. local time, and the temperature at kickoff was in the mid-30s (it was quite a bit colder by the end of the game when the sun had gone down).  It was COLD, but it was so much better than baking in the sun (especially since the Broncos won).

Dodgers are playing the Angels in Anaheim this weekend, which would normally be appealing to me, but not a chance with this weather  Fortunately, the worst of the heat only shows up a couple weeks out of the year.

It's only 82 degrees where I am. Yet I have the AC running!

I should hope so!  We set ours to come on at 76 during the day and turn it down to 72 when we go to bed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
Good things about summer:

- Festivals and outdoor concerts
- More hours of sunlight for trips and travels
- Girls scarcely dressed

Bad things about summer:

Literally everything else

Autumn is best. Best colors, best combination of hot and cool, nice atmosphere.

Agree 100%.  Love that first nice day in spring where all the girls all of the sudden come out it seems  :lol  But really, the summer is best for all the concerts, but the heat is just too much for me.  Fall is the best, it's cooler and you get the feel of the change of seasons and all that brings with nature.  I still think winter is my least favorite though.  I can't stand snow and all the annoyance it brings, and the fact people just aren't as happy that season it seems.

Fall > Spring > Summer > Winter

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
5:47pm and its 90 degrees and so damn humid.   Tomorrow is the last day of this crap.  Also,

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 01:06:32 AM »
The only thing I like about October is all four major sports playing at once. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »
Been at work for 20 minutes, already sweating like I've been out in the sun all day. This season blows. I need a cold shower, a nap, and an autumn beer STAT.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
I LOVE Summer!  Took the train in this morning and got to ride my bike through Capitol Park at 6:00 a.m. on my way in to the office.  Looking forward to riding 25 miles home in the Summer sun and sweating out all those extra calories and the worries of the work that I am leaving behind.  Good times!  :hearts:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
Sweating is for the gym or yard work, bosk! Not when you're trying to have fun!  :tdwn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
Outside on my bike ride IS my "gym."  And I love it.

Oh, and also:  piss off, Grinch!   :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
To be fair, one of the redeeming qualities for summer is that I can use rental bikes to get to the railway station and back from it each working day. Of course, that also applies to spring and autumn, so there's that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
Yeah.  I pretty much love all the seasons.  They all have something wonderful to offer.

But Summer is unique in that it presents endless opportunities to give courtesy clerks a much-needed workout in the warm summer sun chasing down shopping carts at the farthest, remote reaches of parking lots.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
You can't see it, but it's no longer sweat on my face, bosk. It's tears. Why do you hurt me so?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
the correct order of seasons is...

1. Fall
2. Summer
3. Spring

4. Winter
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
Outside on my bike ride IS my "gym."  And I love it.

Oh, and also:  piss off, Grinch!   :D

:lol. I also love being outside when it's hot - depending on the circumstances.  I like to go for long hikes in the woods and for some reason, love it when it's nice and hot. 

It also turns out to be a great way to find out just how much I like the songs in my roulette.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
I used to love summer when I was a student and I would get time off from school, but now it's my least favorite season of the year. The humidity in NJ always makes my asthma act up, the bugs are a huge pain in the ass and the extra traffic sucks too. I guess it really depends on where you live though. I've never been a fan of the heat so obviously I'd be a lot happier in the summer in a different area. My dream is to move to Colorado one day...