Author Topic: Change my view: summer is the worst season  (Read 6938 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Change my view: summer is the worst season
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »
1. Bugs. Everywhere. I love insects, but gnats, flies, moths, beetles, bees, they're everywhere. GTFO.
2. Heat. I do not handle heat well and sweat as soon as it gets warm. If I'm not doing yard work or exercising, I hate sweating. I love cold weather.
3. Humidity. Oh sure, it's nice and cool when it's storming, but 24 hours later it's as hot and sticky as the devil's anus. I'll take dry skin in winter over suffocating humidity.
4. AC is way more expensive than heat, which sucks almost as much as
5. Annoying children making lots of noise. I never noticed it as a kid, but why do children scream bloody murder when playing? That's been freaking me out lately.
6. It gets hot way before it's officially summer and stays hot just long enough to rob autumn of its fair share of moderate temperatures.

Seasons, ranked, from most pleasant to offensively bad: autumn > winter > spring > that weird period between winter and spring when it's warm one day and snows the next > summer.

Signed,
Sweaty And Annoyed  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Change my view: summer is the worst season
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
Summer sucks. Winter is the best by far.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

Isn't summer just like winter where you are?  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Anything over 80 degrees and I start to get grumpy. Anything over 90 and if I have to do anything more active that getting up to take a leak makes me ill. Luckily in the PNW we have neither humidity nor bugs, so luckily I am spared on those two. I went to college in VA for a couple years, and was only there Sept-May, but even so I cannot imagine living in such heat and humidity over the summer.

I will say there is something splendid about sitting on my front porch on a 70s-ish evening watching my daughter play with the neighborhood kids, or going to the pool for a swim that make summer quite enjoyable. Mrs. Cool Chris (the teacher) is also off for a couple months so home all the time, which is (usually) nice.

But yeah, Fall/Spring, then Winter, then Summer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
I've heard the PNW is awesome in the summer. The midwest sucks enough as it is, but in the summer it's just miserable. And I just can't wait to enjoy all 2 weeks of absolutely perfect weather in the fall before it gets cold! :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
Up here in the ANE, the mosquitos this year have been brutal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Well, I live in Phx...so yeah   >:(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
I've heard the PNW is awesome in the summer.

When I do love about this area is that it never gets too hot, and it never gets too cold. Though it can be quite amusing to see news reports in the summer "HEAT WAVE HITTING SEATTLE THIS WEEKEND TEMPS TO GET AS HIGH AS 90" and then everyone rushes out to by fans or AC units. Same thing happens in winter, we get 2" of snow and the lead story on the nightly news is "BLIZZARD CONDITIONS HIT THE PNW" and then we can't figure out to plow the roads so it all becomes a cluster-f. Then after it's over the city leaders come out and say "We weren't prepared for this storm, but we learned some things and will be better prepared for the next storm" which won't happen till the following year at which point the cycle begins again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
How could you leave out crotch rot out?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
How could you leave out crotch rot out?! :lol

Never fear, Fresh Balls is here!

Crotch rot ties in with the sweat factor, but yeah. GROSS.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
No wonder there's no chicks on DTF.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
I've heard the PNW is awesome in the summer.

When I do love about this area is that it never gets too hot, and it never gets too cold. Though it can be quite amusing to see news reports in the summer "HEAT WAVE HITTING SEATTLE THIS WEEKEND TEMPS TO GET AS HIGH AS 90" and then everyone rushes out to by fans or AC units. Same thing happens in winter, we get 2" of snow and the lead story on the nightly news is "BLIZZARD CONDITIONS HIT THE PNW" and then we can't figure out to plow the roads so it all becomes a cluster-f. Then after it's over the city leaders come out and say "We weren't prepared for this storm, but we learned some things and will be better prepared for the next storm" which won't happen till the following year at which point the cycle begins again.

Man. Friend of mine just moved to the mountains in Oregon or Washington, I think, from here in central Illinois. Says on top of the weather being awesome, he has bears and mountain lions and shit just walking through his yard. Your part of the country might be my favorite, other than your apparent inability to drive in a little bit of snow  :lol

No wonder there's no chicks on DTF.

Hey, they have Fresh Breasts for sale, too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
, he has bears and mountain lions and shit just walking through his yard.

That's fucking crazy.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »

Isn't summer just like winter where you are?  :P

Can I have some bear and vodka and balalaika jokes now please? :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 04:09:28 PM »
 :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »
What the fuck is this? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
Steak feeding beers to the paying customers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
Man. Friend of mine just moved to the mountains in Oregon or Washington, I think, from here in central Illinois. Says on top of the weather being awesome, he has bears and mountain lions and shit just walking through his yard. Your part of the country might be my favorite, other than your apparent inability to drive in a little bit of snow   

Despite political issues I will keep to myself, and the sheer volume of people in the Seattle metropolitan area, it truly is a great place to live and I wouldn't live anywhere else - admitting I haven't been to many parts of the country.

Yes, driving in the snow is treacherous here, but that is because 1) we might get a significant snow fall once a year, so it isn't something we get a lot of practice doing 2) the topography can vary significantly, and 3) there is never a good response from local govts on how to address the roads. Even the first major rain fall of autumn people seem to drive 20 MPH slower than normal like they've never seen water fall from the sky before.

YES IT'S TRUE IN SEATTLE IT LITERALLY RAINS ALL THE TIME HAR HAR

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
1. Bugs. Everywhere. I love insects, but gnats, flies, moths, beetles, bees, they're everywhere. GTFO.
2. Heat. I do not handle heat well and sweat as soon as it gets warm. If I'm not doing yard work or exercising, I hate sweating. I love cold weather.
3. Humidity. Oh sure, it's nice and cool when it's storming, but 24 hours later it's as hot and sticky as the devil's anus. I'll take dry skin in winter over suffocating humidity.
4. AC is way more expensive than heat, which sucks almost as much as
5. Annoying children making lots of noise. I never noticed it as a kid, but why do children scream bloody murder when playing? That's been freaking me out lately.
6. It gets hot way before it's officially summer and stays hot just long enough to rob autumn of its fair share of moderate temperatures.

Seasons, ranked, from most pleasant to offensively bad: autumn > winter > spring > that weird period between winter and spring when it's warm one day and snows the next > summer.

Signed,
Sweaty And Annoyed  :lol

No, you don't need your view changed, it is by far the worst season.  I'm in winter at the mometn and love it, but summer comes around very quickly, it's fucking horrid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Summer is way better than winter.

The A/C in your car gets cold way faster in the summer than the heat gets warm in the winter.

When you walk inside from the heat, that burst of cool air inside feels so awesome.  When you walk inside from the cold, you still feel cold as heck for at least a few minutes.

Girls wears less clothing in summer.

/thread

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
Hot weather; cold beer
Campfires and s'mores
More BBQ'g (grilling for you yanks)
Sunshine - you can't shovel it
Lazy afternoon drive with the windows down, and breeze through your hair (or so I would imagine)
Bikini's (though, sometime's that's not a good thing)
Scantily clad ladies, with tight clothes
Drive-Ins
The smell of rain on a hot day
No wind-chill factor
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »
Ya'll have only made me hate summer more. And I can find girls in bikinis 24/7 thanks to the Magic Power of the Internet  :loser:

Driving with the windows down is for autumn, when the wind is actually cool and you could opt for a jacket (or no jacket) and everything's feelin' just fine. Fuck yeah fall. Fall could beat up summer any day of the week. I can prove it in MS Paint.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
And I can find girls in bikinis 24/7 thanks to the Magic Power of the Internet  :loser:

Don't let J Boy fool you. He finds them the same way as you.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
There's just no hope for you. :P

I can appreciate all 4 seasons to an extent, but summer is by far my favorite.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
In all seriousness, one thing that I will always cherish about summer is the family vacations that my family took when I was a kid. My parents always planned a very nice trip each year. Trips that have stuck with me.

We have tried to do the same for my kids. Since I started flying again 5 years ago, we've brought them on some pretty cool trips.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
And I can find girls in bikinis 24/7 thanks to the Magic Power of the Internet  :loser:

But summer sucks!  :tdwn I'm legitimately not very happy in summer. The only season I'm genuinely 'happy' (and content with the weather, too) is autumn. Summer is me at my worst.

I've never had a family vacation or anything, so I don't really know much about summer trips. Canoeing and swimming down rivers is really fun if you're near them but I don't like day long commitments in the summer heat like that very much.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Growing up in Florida summer never bothered me because my life was summer. I lived on the beach so I was either swimming there or at a pool.

Now that I live in NC and there is no such thing as a sea breeze I feel like I'm suffocating under a moist blanket 3 months of the year. The heat is way worse here. I can't wait for fall.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »

But summer sucks!  :tdwn I'm legitimately not very happy in summer. The only season I'm genuinely 'happy' (and content with the weather, too) is autumn. Summer is me at my worst.

I've never had a family vacation or anything, so I don't really know much about summer trips. Canoeing and swimming down rivers is really fun if you're near them but I don't like day long commitments in the summer heat like that very much.
well... to the first paragraph, are you saying the weather makes you so unhappy that your life is unhappy, unless it's fall?  Or that there's some other reason you're only happy during the fall, and it just so happens that you like the weather during that time best too?  Because all that sounds somewhat serious.  Or, are you exaggerating a bit and you do hate summer weather, but in reality it's not that serious?  If it's the former, according to the mayoclinic.com, seasonal affective disorder can happen to some people in spring and summer, so maybe it's something like that. 

If it's the latter, I dunno.  I've never liked winter much and hate being cold, but a few years ago decided to try to embrace it or find things to enjoy about it, and maybe you could do the same in reverse.  Swimming is also fun in lakes and pools, not just rivers, and you can find ways to stay cool(er). :)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:56 AM »
There's things to enjoy in every season, and every season lasts long enough that you appreciate the change when it comes. The winter just gone was fairly quiet here, then March 1st-2nd were some of the coldest days I can remember for a long long time, and we had another significant spell of snowfall in the middle of the month, to the point where I didn't see a loaf of bread available to buy for over a week. It probably took until mid-April before it really started feeling like spring.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »
Summer time lets me ride my motorcycle on the daily if I want. So that makes it ok in my book.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
well... to the first paragraph, are you saying the weather makes you so unhappy that your life is unhappy, unless it's fall?  Or that there's some other reason you're only happy during the fall, and it just so happens that you like the weather during that time best too?  Because all that sounds somewhat serious.  Or, are you exaggerating a bit and you do hate summer weather, but in reality it's not that serious?  If it's the former, according to the mayoclinic.com, seasonal affective disorder can happen to some people in spring and summer, so maybe it's something like that. 

If it's the latter, I dunno.  I've never liked winter much and hate being cold, but a few years ago decided to try to embrace it or find things to enjoy about it, and maybe you could do the same in reverse.  Swimming is also fun in lakes and pools, not just rivers, and you can find ways to stay cool(er). :)

I'm pretty sure it's just SAD although I've never had it formally diagnosed. As an introvert I already become exhausted after like 2 hours in a social setting, but in the warm seasons, forget it, I barely want to do anything. However in autumn, my mood completely changes: cool weather, colorful trees, dark rainy days. I h a t e bright sunny weather with a passion, it makes me miserable, but cloudy, dark days make me very happy. In autumn I'm far more likely to participate in social events, stay out longer than normal, be sociable and meet new people. Hell I've only ever forged relationships with women in the fall, it's that drastic a change on my personality. The absolute best part of the year is that 2-3 week period in October with the changing leaves and crisp breeze and mildly warm sunshine. You know, when the weather has finally decided to back off and let me wear a hoodie and drink a beer on the porch without sweating. :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »
Man. Friend of mine just moved to the mountains in Oregon or Washington, I think, from here in central Illinois. Says on top of the weather being awesome, he has bears and mountain lions and shit just walking through his yard. Your part of the country might be my favorite, other than your apparent inability to drive in a little bit of snow   

Despite political issues I will keep to myself, and the sheer volume of people in the Seattle metropolitan area, it truly is a great place to live and I wouldn't live anywhere else - admitting I haven't been to many parts of the country.

Yes, driving in the snow is treacherous here, but that is because 1) we might get a significant snow fall once a year, so it isn't something we get a lot of practice doing 2) the topography can vary significantly, and 3) there is never a good response from local govts on how to address the roads. Even the first major rain fall of autumn people seem to drive 20 MPH slower than normal like they've never seen water fall from the sky before.

YES IT'S TRUE IN SEATTLE IT LITERALLY RAINS ALL THE TIME HAR HAR

Love Seattle and it's weather! As for drivers, talk to anyone who lives in or crosses the Cascades frequently and they'll be some of the best drivers in snow on the planet.

Also, Seattle is the only major city besides maybe San Diego that doesn't need a weatherman.

In Seattle when you look outside and can't see Mt. Rainier it means it's raining. And if you can see Mt. Rainier, it's gonna rain.  :biggrin:

(Actually it's not that bad. It's a myth perpetuated by locals to keep everyone from wanting to move there)  :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:27 AM »
S.A.D. blows.  mrs.jingle suffers from it, and by the end of winter (Feb/Mar) some things are intolerable with her 'cabin fever'.  She's an outdoorsy person, but not for cold weather stuff.

Sorry to hear you've got it Katt... though I must say I've never heard of someone with summer S.A.D. ... usually the lack of sunshine/daylight (and resulting vitamin D deficiencies) that contribute a lot to S.A.D.

Crank your AC, turn on the Snow Channel is all I can recommend.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's just SAD although I've never had it formally diagnosed. As an introvert I already become exhausted after like 2 hours in a social setting, but in the warm seasons, forget it, I barely want to do anything. However in autumn, my mood completely changes: cool weather, colorful trees, dark rainy days. I h a t e bright sunny weather with a passion, it makes me miserable, but cloudy, dark days make me very happy. In autumn I'm far more likely to participate in social events, stay out longer than normal, be sociable and meet new people. Hell I've only ever forged relationships with women in the fall, it's that drastic a change on my personality. The absolute best part of the year is that 2-3 week period in October with the changing leaves and crisp breeze and mildly warm sunshine. You know, when the weather has finally decided to back off and let me wear a hoodie and drink a beer on the porch without sweating. :)

I have a couple coworkers who were diagnosis with SAD and one of them has said that just working with a therapist improved things for her dramatically.  Maybe that's something to consider.  However, if that's what it is, you'll probably never switch to summer being your favorite season, and that's OK.  A lot of people prefer fall or spring, and some crazy ones even like winter best. ;)  Don't feel like you "should" just love summer (despite my initial reply :)), and there's also nothing wrong with being an introvert either.  It's just that if you're unhappy with aspects of being an introvert or with how things are going in the summer, then maybe talking to someone about it would help you to break patterns and come up with alternatives and feel a little better overall.