Author Topic: Change my view: summer is the worst season  (Read 6937 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Change my view: summer is the worst season
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
I used to love summer when I was a student and I would get time off from school, but now it's my least favorite season of the year. The humidity in NJ always makes my asthma act up, the bugs are a huge pain in the ass and the extra traffic sucks too. I guess it really depends on where you live though. I've never been a fan of the heat so obviously I'd be a lot happier in the summer in a different area. My dream is to move to Colorado one day...

The projected high temperatures in Denver over the next week are 88, 95, 97, 94, 97, 92 and 87 (with humidity in excess of 70%).

Interesting, though, that you mentioned "extra traffic."  In Southern California, summer traffic is typically lighter, making it about the only thing I like about summer.  I used to commute on the 405 sought of the 10, and the absolute worst time of the year was in September and October -- right around when schools (UCLA in particular) are in full swing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:11 PM »
I know it can get hot in Denver and other parts of Colorado in the summer, but the weather year round is still generally more to my liking than it is in NJ. Weather is not the only reason why I want to move there one day though, I love the state for several reasons.

Also, what I meant by "extra traffic" is that I live in Southern NJ near many beaches, so the area gets significantly more congested with people from the Northern NJ, New York, etc. driving down here in the summer for vacation and to their beach houses. It's just one more reason why I never look forward to the summer down here. I really enjoy winter and fall down here though because it's a lot quieter, so if I do eventually move from here one day I'm sure I'll miss that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
We have tried to do the same for my kids. Since I started flying again 5 years ago, we've brought them on some pretty cool trips.

Ozzy would be proud.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »
We have tried to do the same for my kids. Since I started flying again 5 years ago, we've brought them on some pretty cool trips.

Ozzy would be proud.

Well, after all, he did name a song after me. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
And in the PNW, there is a National Weather Service Heat Advisory, as temps are expected to reach the 90.

We seriously have no idea what to do here if the temp isn't somewhere between 50-80.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
And in the PNW, there is a National Weather Service Heat Advisory, as temps are expected to reach the 90.

We seriously have no idea what to do here if the temp isn't somewhere between 50-80.

The PNW sounds nicer every time I hear about it.

The weather's finally been nice here the last couple days. Low humidity and relatively low temps (low 70s). Nice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »
I'm really hating this summer so far. It's been so freaking muggy for what seems like an eternity. I go out on my lunch break for work and I'm dripping sweat by the time I get to the first corner. It's gross.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
Well let's see, 2 days ago they forecasted 116 in Phx today.  Looks like it's only gonna make it to 112.  Must be a cold front moving in.  :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
Well let's see, 2 days ago they forecasted 116 in Phx today.  Looks like it's only gonna make it to 112.  Must be a cold front moving in.  :lol :rollin :lol

I took my son to Phoenix last August for a Dodgers @ Diamondbacks game.  We rented a car and drove, and I can recall seeing the outside temperature rising as we got closer to Phoenix.  It was somewhere in the 112-116 range by the time we got there, and I remember getting out of the car at the hotel.  It was the most awful feeling, and it was not the "dry heat" that Phoenix is known for.  We took a Lyft to the game, and I remember breaking out in a sweat just walking from the car to the stadium entrance.  Between that kind of crap and scorpions, you couldn't pay me enough to live there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »

I took my son to Phoenix last August for a Dodgers @ Diamondbacks game.  We rented a car and drove, and I can recall seeing the outside temperature rising as we got closer to Phoenix.  It was somewhere in the 112-116 range by the time we got there, and I remember getting out of the car at the hotel.  It was the most awful feeling, and it was not the "dry heat" that Phoenix is known for.  We took a Lyft to the game, and I remember breaking out in a sweat just walking from the car to the stadium entrance.  Between that kind of crap and scorpions, you couldn't pay me enough to live there.

My wife and I did a Phoenix/Scottsdale/Sedona trip in July 1998. We also went to a Diamondbacks game (inaugural season). We made plans to rent a convertible. Sounded like a great idea. We weren't even on the highway yet and we had to pull over and put the top up. In fact, we went to see Iron Maiden in Phoenix and driving back to Scottsdale after 11:00pm it was still too hot to put the top down.

It was 116 the day we came home.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »
Yea, I was in Phoenix (also went to a DBacks game) two years ago and I found it to be really miserable.  I wouldn't want to live there.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »
Huntington Beach, California... Summer RULES!!!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
Dad grew up about 90 miles east of Phoenix. He met his future wife (my mom) in Tacoma, where my mom grew up. At some point they drove down to AZ in the summer in a car with no AC. My mom's first trip there. She thought they were slowly descending in to hell. Ultimately my dad decided he liked it up here and this is where they settled.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »

The TACs can vouch for that!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »

The TACs can vouch for that!

:metal :metal :metal  Vacation I assume??  When?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
July 2015.

We flew in and out of Las Vegas, did the Grand Canyon, and Disneyland. Spent a day in LA (Hollywood and a Dodger game).

When we left Disney to head back to Vegas, I wanted to see the Pacific. We asked someone there and they said that Huntington Beach was the closest beach so we went there. Dipped our feet in the Pacific and had lunch there. Very cool place.

My wife and I each grew up in houses where you could see the Atlantic.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
Seal Beach is better.

Just sayin'.

Not like I grew up there or anything.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
Seal Beach is better.

Where is that?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
Seal Beach is better.

Where is that?

Roughly 9 miles northwest of where your picture was taken.

Seal Beach is the less crowded, more laid back version of HB.  South side of either pier was the place to be if you were a 1980s metalhead.  Every third person had a ghetto blaster going with some Van Halen, Scorpions, Maiden, Crue, etc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Cool. Like I said, we had a small window before the long ride back to Vegas. We asked at Disney.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
Cool. Like I said, we had a small window before the long ride back to Vegas. We asked at Disney.

Yup.  Under the circumstances, Newport would have made more sense since there's freeway access, but for your purposes, the differences wouldn't have mattered.

But I can't let pass an opportunity to trumpet my hometown.

If you ever make it back, now you know.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
We will go back, but probably not for a few years. My wife wants to go back to Disney and hit San Diego as well.

We are heading back to California later this summer, but we are hitting the northern part of the state.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
We are heading back to California later this summer, but we are hitting the northern part of the state.
:caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »
Cali is so damn beautiful, whats the plan for Northern Cali Tim? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
San Francisco (going to a Giants game)
Staying in Windsor up in Wine Country
Then heading up to the Redwood Forest.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Seal Beach is better.

Just sayin'.

I beg to difer, Sir!!! ;D

Seal is cool, nice and chill.  Newport is more pretentious.  I grew up in Huntington but spent summers at my grandparents place in San Clemente.  San Clemente is my favorite SoCal beach town.  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
San Francisco (going to a Giants game)
Then heading up to the Redwood Forest.

The Redwoods National Park?  I had such a good time there, since you enjoyed the Everglades National Park video, I made one for Redwoods as well when we went last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYSuP8PjA3M

It's probably my favorite of the 7 parks I've been to.  I mean, well, it's hard to top the Grand Canyon in terms of wow, but something about walking the forest with those huge trees that really makes you feel small and "down to earth"  I wish we spent more than a day there and got to do some serious trails.  Was probably my favorite day of our 7 day trip along the north west last year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
That's awesome! Any bears? Are there warnings and shit?

I don't want to be walking around being stalked.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
I don't recall warnings, I certainly wasn't worried, but we didn't stray far off the paths or do anything wild.  We saw some wild Elk though.  Also Fern Valley is so cool.  You'll want to check out Big Tree, just because

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »

It has been a few years since I have been there, so I do not know how Windsor was impacted by the fires last year.  You might want to check on that.  Assuming all is well, I highly recommend visiting the following:
-Powell's Sweet Shoppe on McClelland Drive.  Yeah, it's just a candy store.  But it is such a trip down memory lane.  The place is filled to the brim with all the candy's that were around in the '70s that you can't find anymore.  They also have all kinds of cool memorabilia from back then.  And a giant screen TV that loops Charlie and the Chocolate Factor continuously. 
-Two doors down from Powell's is what I consider a MUST VISIT restaurant called Kin.  Everything I have had there is spectacular.  https://www.kinwindsor.com/menu/  I highly recommend the wedge salad, roasted pear & brie, KIN mac & cheese, and the lobster risotto.  But like I said, it's all good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2018, 06:10:57 PM »
Seal Beach is better.

Just sayin'.

I beg to difer, Sir!!! ;D

Seal is cool, nice and chill.  Newport is more pretentious.  I grew up in Huntington but spent summers at my grandparents place in San Clemente.  San Clemente is my favorite SoCal beach town.  :hat

I haven't spent enough time in South County to know it well enough.  What I do know makes me think it's not dissimilar to Seal.  And yes, Newport is really pretentious!

-Powell's Sweet Shoppe on McClelland Drive.  Yeah, it's just a candy store.  But it is such a trip down memory lane.  The place is filled to the brim with all the candy's that were around in the '70s that you can't find anymore.  They also have all kinds of cool memorabilia from back then.  And a giant screen TV that loops Charlie and the Chocolate Factor continuously. 

There's a place in old town Sacto like that (sans the memorabilia and TV).  I stumbled across it when my son did a Sacto/gold rush country field trip in 4th grade.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »

It has been a few years since I have been there, so I do not know how Windsor was impacted by the fires last year.  You might want to check on that.  Assuming all is well, I highly recommend visiting the following:
-Two doors down from Powell's is what I consider a MUST VISIT restaurant called Kin.  Everything I have had there is spectacular.  https://www.kinwindsor.com/menu/  I highly recommend the wedge salad, roasted pear & brie, KIN mac & cheese, and the lobster risotto.  But like I said, it's all good.

Thank you.

I don't recall warnings, I certainly wasn't worried, but we didn't stray far off the paths or do anything wild.  We saw some wild Elk though.  Also Fern Valley is so cool.  You'll want to check out Big Tree, just because

Cram, you are the man. That tree takes a picture with you!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »
Hot weather; cold beer
Campfires and s'mores
More BBQ'g (grilling for you yanks)
Sunshine - you can't shovel it
Lazy afternoon drive with the windows down, and breeze through your hair (or so I would imagine)
Bikini's (though, sometime's that's not a good thing)
Scantily clad ladies, with tight clothes
Drive-Ins
The smell of rain on a hot day
No wind-chill factor
Yeah most of the above is year round in AZ. Some of the rest is October-April in AZ. Granted, not a lot of swimming Nov-Feb.

My wife and I did a Phoenix/Scottsdale/Sedona trip in July 1998. We also went to a Diamondbacks game (inaugural season). We made plans to rent a convertible. Sounded like a great idea. We weren't even on the highway yet and we had to pull over and put the top up. In fact, we went to see Iron Maiden in Phoenix and driving back to Scottsdale after 11:00pm it was still too hot to put the top down.

It was 116 the day we came home.

I woke up at 430 to run before the sun comes up and it was 90degrees already....

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »

Well, it's only hot 3 months out of the year.  My parents used to travel during the summer months.  They said there are many other places in the U.S. that are more brutal in the summer than Arizona just because of humidity.  Even when it is humid here, it's considerably less than most other places.  I've lived here since 85' and only been stung by a scorpion once 2 years ago.  Beats the hell out of Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tornados.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2018, 11:51:44 PM »
My friend told me it's been 85-90 in Sweden recently, and of course they have no A/C.  Global warming at work. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.