Author Topic: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"  (Read 12894 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:37 AM »
Woohoo, managed to get a copy of this today. Can't wait to listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »
I picked up Tears to Dust a week ago. It pales in comparison to the run of Anhedonia, Esoteric Symbolism, and Her Halo. Almost like a different band. Not sure who the hell sings on Tears to Dust either. It's not their "classic" singer who did vocals on Anhedonia and Esoteric (who is also back and doing vocals on the next one) or the guy on Her Halo.

My suggestion would be just get Anhedonia, Esoteric and Her Halo, and that's really all you need. Three really great records. Looking forward to the next one.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed by Tears to Dust or Doxology myself. Once the band essentially "rebooted" itself with Anhedonia though, they've been on one hell of a run between that album, Esoteric Symbolism and Her Halo. Heck, the multitude of small samples the band's been posting on Facebook for the next album all sound fantastic too!

Woohoo, managed to get a copy of this today. Can't wait to listen.

Have fun, man! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 06:40:07 AM »
Discovered this fantastic band with Anhedonia and was instantly blown away. Glad they got the original singer back and a new release is in the making! (prefer Anhedonia over Esoteric Symbolism though, just a bit more relatable to me. Her Halo.....not exactly my thing.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »
Discovered this fantastic band with Anhedonia and was instantly blown away. Glad they got the original singer back and a new release is in the making! (prefer Anhedonia over Esoteric Symbolism though, just a bit more relatable to me. Her Halo.....not exactly my thing.  :metal

Yeah, it's exciting that Brett's back. Hopefully we'll get a taste of the new album soon. :metal

For fans of Her Halo, Nathan also recently joined another band called Trigger! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »
For fans of Her Halo, Nathan also recently joined another band called Trigger! :metal

Cool!  Thanks for the recc'n.  I really loved Her Halo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
AUSTRALIAN PROG ROCK BAND TERAMAZE ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM AND RELEASE VIDEO

New album: ‘Are We Soldiers’
Released: 21 June 2019
Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group

Watch The Video For First New Track “Weight of Humanity”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofj4VFG7sk

April 24, 2019 – Today prog rock band, Teramaze announced that their new album Are We Soldiers will be released on 21 June 2019 via Mascot Label Group. To celebrate the announcement the Australian band also released a new video for their song “Weight Of Humanity” which was directed by Wayne Joyner. The track is the first music released from their upcoming album, which you can preorder

http://smarturl.it/Teramaze?utm_source=Benelux+%2B+ROW+Press&utm_campaign=40ec1bbd29-TERAMAZE-ARE-WE-SOLDIERS-20190424&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_91fb212bf1-40ec1bbd29-297380137&mc_cid=40ec1bbd29&mc_eid=8a18f55944

Teramaze founder, guitarist and producer Dean Wells said of the video “Weight of Humanity" was one of the first songs we wrote for this album and I really believe it captures the true essence of what Teramaze is artistically and lyrically.
The song touches on the pressures of living in our times and what we choose to believe and accept what is true or lies.
It’s one of my favorite songs from the album and Wayne did an amazing job of creating something visually stimulating that blends well with the theme of the song”

“Australian prog has been around for a while mate,” said Wells on the recent explosion of progressive-minded rock bands from Australia, of which Melbourne’s Teramaze are surely at the forefront. “It was kick started with bands like Cog, Karnivool, and now there’s stuff like Voyager and Caligula’s Horse and Plini and things like that.”

“Funnily enough I don’t really feel that we’re really a part of that,” he continues. The thing with Teramaze is we’re a progressive band but we’re closer to progressive metal and not progressive rock. But sometimes it’s not progressive rock at all, it’s more like metal with big pop choruses. I mean I like progressive metal because it gives me the chance to write anything under the banner of Teramaze. But sometimes I like writing pop songs. And it does leak into Teramaze, it always has. A song like ‘Her Halo’ itself for example.”

‘Her Halo’, Teramaze’s 2015 album, and their first for Mascot Records, saw the band take a big step up from previous albums ‘Anhedonia’ (2012) and ‘Esoteric Symbolism’ (2014), with the UK’s Prog Magazine calling the album “Exceptional” and stating it was “one of the finest prog metal releases of recent years.” Four years later and Wells and Teramaze are back with a new album, ‘Are We Soldiers’, another step up for the Australian band. It’s still Teramaze – all huge choruses, crashing guitar chords, intricate time changes and swooping melodies – but it’s a bigger, brighter and even better Teramaze.

There’s change beyond the music for Teramaze with ‘Are We Soldiers’, with original vocalist Brett Rerekura returning to the fold, replacing Nathan Peachey, who’d sung on ‘Her Halo’.

With ‘Are We Soldiers’, Dean Wells and Teramaze have delivered another excellent piece of modern progressive metal. One that will inevitably build upon the progress achieved by ‘Her Halo’. With plans afoot for European and UK live dates for later in the year, Teramaze are a band that are going to be occupying a lot of your time in 2019 and beyond.

“’Are We Soldiers’ is a bit more weighty, and it’s a long album,” smiles a proud Wells. “But I make no apologies for that. I enjoy it, and I just hope other people do too.”

Tracklist
Fight Or Flight
Are We Soldiers
Control Conquer Collide
From Saviour to Assassin
Orwellian Times
M.O.N.S.T.E.R.S.
Weight Of Humanity
Fact Resistant Human
The One Percent Disarm
Depopulate

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »
Giddy the fuck up!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:54 PM »
Great song! Thanks for the heads-up. Her Halo was my #1 album
during that year. Absolutely loved it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm all over this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Missing the last singer, but at least they went back and got the guy from the albums prior.  I love this band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
Great song! Thanks for the heads-up. Her Halo was my #1 album
during that year. Absolutely loved it.

My AOTY that year too

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »
:metal :metal :metal

Missing the last singer, but at least they went back and got the guy from the albums prior.  I love this band.

Ditto..........decent song but prefer the vocals on Her Halo.  I don't like lyric videos unless the lyrics are really top notch and I don't think they are here.  I really liked the mid section and from there I thought the song improved.

Still very much looking forward to the album and good to see Chris in the band - lives around the corner from me - great player and great guy   :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:01:48 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
I didn't think that song was all that special.  Probably a grower though.  Sounds kind of like newer Pyramaze to me a bit.  Will check out.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 04:37:39 AM »
I didn't think that song was all that special.  Probably a grower though.  Sounds kind of like newer Pyramaze to me a bit.  Will check out.

Jonah is playing keys for Teramaze. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 05:40:41 AM »
I'll just chime in to say I prefer Nathan's vocals (Her Halo) over Brett's (current and prior music).  This will be a grower.  Her Halo was #3 AOTY in '15 for me (Vanden Plan and S-X topped that one - but damn they were all A++)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »
I also really liked Nathan's vocals on Her Halo, so the new/old singer will take some getting used to for me.  Solid track though!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

Jonah is playing keys for Teramaze.

Well I'll be damned.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
I'm all over this.

Same. I have been very excited for this album for awhile now, as Dean has teased bits and pieces of this song in particular for like... two years now on Facebook. IDK if it's still around, but there was a video at some point where you can hear an early demo of this with Nathan on vocals. Very fascinating to hear how this song's evolved over the past couple years.

Also, fun fact: It's Dean singing the lead vocals part in the softer sounding bridge part, not Brett.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »
Oh hell yes.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
The entire album it's pretty solid, and you easily forget the previous singer as Brett does a fantastic job on all the songs. A serious contender for AOTY

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Grappler

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
I love this new song.  Can't wait to hear the full album!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
Been listening to the new record over the past couple of days. I like it. I'm not really sure where I'd put it along side the others in the catalog yet. After three spins, it seems like the vocal approach of Her Halo (albeit with the returning singer, as opposed to the singer on Her Halo) with slightly more polished/less technical music (in comparison to the three albums before it). That doesn't mean it doesn't get technical at times, as it certainly does, and it is heavy when it needs to be. But it just FEELS less heavy and more polished. And that's not necessarily a negative. Just first blush observations.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline krands85

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »
I listened to it for the first time today and really liked it. Which is a bit surprising because I usually need a while to get in to albums and the tracks I heard before release didn't blow me away either. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully it grows on me more too.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Grappler

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
I've been listening to it a lot.  It's definitely less heavy than Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism and more in the melodic vein of Her Halo.  That doesn't bother me too much, though I wish the guitars had a bit more crunch.  Aside from that, I'm very happy with it and it has some really great songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
I've been listening to it a lot.  It's definitely less heavy than Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism and more in the melodic vein of Her Halo.  That doesn't bother me too much, though I wish the guitars had a bit more crunch.  Aside from that, I'm very happy with it and it has some really great songs.

Yeah, that was the vibe I couldn't put into words for some reason. The guitars need a little more crunch. But I agree, it doesn't bother me much either. Its a good album with some great tunes. I think the closer, "Depopulate," is the best track, and an absolute gem. But a few more also stick out as a smidge above the rest, and all the tunes are good. Looking forward to seeing how this album ages with me.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:35 AM »
I am totally not surprised (and pumped) to hear that Brett and Jonah have been moved along and Nathan is back as full-time vocalist for Teramaze  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2019, 04:57:09 AM »
Wow... that was fast!  Wonder what the deal is.  Are we soldiers was pretty good, but Brett's vocals just don't float my boat as much as Nathan's.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
Wow... that was fast!  Wonder what the deal is.  Are we soldiers was pretty good, but Brett's vocals just don't float my boat as much as Nathan's.

Judging by their comments on Facebook, it seems like it’s harder to schedule for touring with Brett than it is with Nathan, who only left in the first place due to personal things happening outside the band last year. Nathan was already filling in for Brett with their recent live shows, so I guess they all just decided to keep going.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
Wow, they just released their new album and less than two months later a vocalist change again?  Crazy.  I love Nathan's voice A LOT though, so I'm happy, but what a shame he couldn't do the vocals on the latest album.  :-\
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
Apparently they are recording an epic/EP right now with Nathan that is some sort of "sequel" to Her Halo. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »
I'm down with that!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
Apparently they are recording an epic/EP right now with Nathan that is some sort of "sequel" to Her Halo.

Yeah, Dean’s talked about it on Facebook in the past IIRC, basically it’s a multi-piece epic in the vein of A Change of Seasons if memory serves me right.

Actually, looks like plans changed and the song’s shorter now (about 9 minutes)? IDK. Still an epic. Point is new material with Nathan is already on the way.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea