Author Topic: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"  (Read 12895 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »
New song with Nathan released today:

https://open.spotify.com/album/36CPcyqm6fMthJLOVX56sH#_=_

I am a big fan of the more melodic approach that having Nathan brings - would love a brighter production though.  Getting sick of this brickwalled sound in general.

They just finished writing the 22min epic sequel to Her Halo too.  Looking forward to that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2019, 05:08:51 PM »
New song with Nathan released today:

https://open.spotify.com/album/36CPcyqm6fMthJLOVX56sH#_=_

I am a big fan of the more melodic approach that having Nathan brings - would love a brighter production though.  Getting sick of this brickwalled sound in general.

They just finished writing the 22min epic sequel to Her Halo too.  Looking forward to that.

Giggity f'n goo!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 06:52:38 AM »
Here's the youtube link:   The Heist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdiCDw5Ntfs

Guitars are still missing the big crunch from earlier records.  Glad that he's back, but they need to stay heavy too.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Is the tune a one-off, or are there plans to include it on a record?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
Is the tune a one-off, or are there plans to include it on a record?

Apparantly, they're working on a sequel to Her Halo.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
I believe The Heist is a one-off to get Nathan's arrival "out there" which is to be followed by a 20+ min epic song that serves as a sequel to Her Halo.

Then........work begins on a new full length album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
Is there a place where I can buy this track and not stream it on Youtube or Spotify? I asked Dean about releasing it in Bandcamp and he said they won't (which is a bit bizarre imo).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
Heard these guys on Spotify in My Discover Weekly. The Heist came on and was great. That was yesterday. Today, I'm listening to Are We Soldiers, pretty good stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »
What is up with these guys?

Bring back Brent, release Are We Soldiers
Split with Brent,  Bring back Nathan
New song released, with Dean Wells singing?  Where is Nathan?  Where is Brent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80EDl8-A5U&fbclid=IwAR2hk-B19b6Qm15OSZM7Nd04OyPiK3Efco_PpaOW9Wc0Lc0Zd5npSzp7oMQ
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:18:09 AM by Grappler »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80EDl8-A5U

But it's Dean on vocals, what's going on?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:13:01 AM by MinistroRaven »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
Yeah... I was highly underwhelmed by this.  Though admittedly, I was multi-tasking.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
I love these guys but Dean's production (meant to be his go) is getting very muddy IMO.   He's no Robinson Crusoe there but I am starting to struggle with their sound.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 12:56:33 AM »
Dean doing all vocals on next album.  These guys are hard to keep up with  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:23 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to lose interest unfortunately. Dean's not a bad singer by any means (heck, he's got a sick cover of a Winger song on YouTube  :biggrin: ), but the rapid cycle in which Nathan left, Brett rejoined and then left once again with Nathan coming back and now may or may not be out again is making it hard to feel invested in the band.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:42 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to lose interest unfortunately. Dean's not a bad singer by any means (heck, he's got a sick cover of a Winger song on YouTube  :biggrin: ), but the rapid cycle in which Nathan left, Brett rejoined and then left once again with Nathan coming back and now may or may not be out again is making it hard to feel invested in the band.

This.  Dean is easily the worst of the three, and the song they just released didn't do anything for me vocally.  I'll spin it, but I don't have high hopes or it like I normally would have.  Are We Soldiers was already a step down from Her Halo and Esoteric Symbolism.   :-\

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:30 AM »

This.  Dean is easily the worst of the three, and the song they just released didn't do anything for me vocally.  I'll spin it, but I don't have high hopes or it like I normally would have.  Are We Soldiers was already a step down from Her Halo and Esoteric Symbolism.   :-\

Exactly. I was really happy to see Brett rejoin the band, but in hindsight, I actually think a lot of the songs on AWS sounded a lot stronger in their older demo forms with Nathan on lead vocals from 2016/2017. Not just the singing, the production sounded stronger there too IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2020, 04:52:09 AM »
Where might one hear those demos?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2020, 04:54:19 AM »
Where might one hear those demos?

I don't know if they're still up, but Dean had them up on the band's Facebook page and sampled chunks of one or two songs on a livestream there too. It's been a good year or so since I heard them, but I can tell you now that it's going to take a bit of digging around and some patience to hear 'em all.

I just remember feeling a bit bummed out when checking out the final album in comparison to two years' worth of being familiar with demo versions of the songs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:00:37 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
I know he knocks it down in the FB comments, but it is April 1st.  I'm hoping this is a joke.  Can't believe all the adulation he's getting in the FB thread.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
I know he knocks it down in the FB comments, but it is April 1st.  I'm hoping this is a joke.  Can't believe all the adulation he's getting in the FB thread.

Don't think it is............Teramaze is (if it wasn't already) the Dean Wells Band and I think he doesn't want to deal with lead singers.  The most recent single they released was all Dean and he was very coy about it when questioned , saying it was just a song written to suit his voice etc.......  I had my suspicions weeks ago that this was on the way , so I don't think it's April Fools.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »

What. The. Fuck. These guys just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I dig em, but I'm done with them. I liked the return to their "classic" singer, and then he up and leaves, they bring the other dude back, and now HE's out, and Dean is going to sing again? Jesus Christ. Dude literally killed his own band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »

What. The. Fuck. These guys just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I dig em, but I'm done with them. I liked the return to their "classic" singer, and then he up and leaves, they bring the other dude back, and now HE's out, and Dean is going to sing again? Jesus Christ. Dude literally killed his own band.

Yeah, I don't know what to think. Like I said before, Dean's not a bad singer by any means... but it's really frustrating to see how chaotic the singer cycle has gotten for the band. Personally I'm just wishing them the best and hope whatever the heck they put out next clicks for me. If not, that'll probably be it for me.

Don't think it is............Teramaze is (if it wasn't already) the Dean Wells Band and I think he doesn't want to deal with lead singers.  The most recent single they released was all Dean and he was very coy about it when questioned , saying it was just a song written to suit his voice etc.......  I had my suspicions weeks ago that this was on the way , so I don't think it's April Fools.

Yeah, Dean's always been the one big driving factor in Teramaze. This isn't too big of a shocker, but it is a bit disappointing.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
I actually liked his voice in the last single he released. I don't mind Dean singing. But yes, the vocalist department has been chaotic to say the least.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2020, 09:49:02 AM »
I'm not stuffed when bands end up playing vocal musical chairs - there's enough bands that fall victim to that.  Pyramaze and Firewind come to mind immediately.  Just so long as the vocalists are good, I don't care.  What I care about here is that Dean's voice did nothing for me on the last single he put out.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
Dean was live on Facebook last night to address the singer changes:  https://www.facebook.com/teramaze/videos/330602237914290/

I only listened to a few minutes of it, but the gist was that when he put Teramaze on hiatus through the 2000's and prior to reforming and releasing Anhedonia, he worked on becoming a better singer himself.  He finds it difficult to produce the singers in the band to sing in the manner that he envisions the songs to be sung, so he's decided to be the lead vocalist from now on.

I'm not sure that I fully believe that, and I definitely don't agree with the decision, but whatever.  If I can't get into his vocals, then the band is pretty much done for me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
In one of the comments, he also mentioned that it was very difficult for him to sing and play guitar live at the same time, so he might use a singer in a live setting.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2020, 09:27:42 AM »
Dean was live on Facebook last night to address the singer changes:  https://www.facebook.com/teramaze/videos/330602237914290/

I only listened to a few minutes of it, but the gist was that when he put Teramaze on hiatus through the 2000's and prior to reforming and releasing Anhedonia, he worked on becoming a better singer himself.  He finds it difficult to produce the singers in the band to sing in the manner that he envisions the songs to be sung, so he's decided to be the lead vocalist from now on.

I'm not sure that I fully believe that, and I definitely don't agree with the decision, but whatever.  If I can't get into his vocals, then the band is pretty much done for me.

So the way the songs are sung, they're not what he really envisioned them to be...

I'm interested in the album, just to hear how he really wants the vocals to be in his songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Sartonon

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »
They just released new album I Wonder. It is 9/10 for me, love it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:10 AM »
Will be spinning later today!

Offline krands85

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
Nice  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Grappler

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
I'm giving this my first listen - not too far into it, but I love that the guitars are more powerful and crunchier than on Are We Soldiers.  I'm not sold on Dean Wells though.  The singer drama from the last few years turned me off on the guy a bit.  But I'll give it a try at least.

Edit - OK, this is a pretty good album.  Better than Are We Soldiers, and it has a better production too.  I'm not too bothered by Dean's vocals - I'd much rather have one of the other guys back in the band, since they both blow Dean out of the water, but if this is Teramaze now, so be it. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:24:10 PM by Grappler »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
Dean sounds miles better here than on Are We Soldiers.  I too would rather have Nathan on the mic, but this album is far superior to AWS.  That was a massive letdown after Her Halo.

Offline Sartonon

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2021, 07:58:26 AM »
Teramaze has released couple new single from upcoming album Sorella Minore (main song is 26 minutes)

Between These Shadows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWVAlVMHqk

Stone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eENeVYNcjX4

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
This group is hit and miss for me, mostly miss, but I did quite enjoy Her Halo.  If they make another album that sounds like that I will definitely buy it

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »
This group is hit and miss for me, mostly miss, but I did quite enjoy Her Halo.  If they make another album that sounds like that I will definitely buy it

Sorella Minore is a sequel to Her Halo.

I enjoy Her Halo a lot too.