Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 96722 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« Reply #980 on: March 04, 2023, 10:57:08 AM »
Forced Entry is one of my favorite songs from anyone.  And it's fantastic live too.  So glad you got to see it. :)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #981 on: March 05, 2023, 02:50:51 AM »
Someone uploaded the first two songs that they opened with Have you Ever / The Price https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKVu4kdhW4

The Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYsSxg3Z5HE

There were cameras in the venue that projected to screens in the back so I'm sure there's some sort of a bootleg recording on some hard drive somewhere with good sound, but that's gonna remain hidden, sadly.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 03:22:10 AM by abydos »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: March 05, 2023, 03:00:48 AM »
My brother and I attended a show in Ljubljana. We were joking about them playing Forced Entry for days, as it is one of our favorites. Can't believe they actually played it ;D it was voted among 4 songs and almost lost to the Alleviate :huh:

Your crowd chose correctly

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #983 on: March 05, 2023, 06:06:46 AM »
Bilateral is one of those quirky albums with lots of hooks.  I would love to see them perform this album from front to back in concert. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #984 on: March 05, 2023, 08:46:31 AM »
Yeah Bilateral seems weirdly underappreciated imo. It's filled with great stuff. I thought it was even a pretty instantaneous album in that the hooks are strong, the songs varied, so it's easy to quickly get into.

Forced Entry was how I really got into the band.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #985 on: March 14, 2023, 05:41:48 PM »
I saw Leprous today for the second time. The first time was in 2017, which also made me a proper fan, before that I had listened some songs from Bilateral.

Full disclosure: I'm an old head when it come to Leprous.  :lol When the singles for Pitfalls dropped, I didn't really like any of them back then and consequently didn't even listen to the album, or anything that came after it. But since they were coming to my hometown, I decided to give those two albums a chance. In brief, Pitfalls is alright, but short on highlights. Aphelion is better, but not as good as the first four albums. However, I can always respect bands who dare to change their style despite possible fan backlash, and those albums definitely still have a lot of heart.

Openers were Kalandra and Monuments. I had never listened to either band before, but I did check some of their songs in advance. Kalandra was surprising opener, since they play sort of post rock/folk pop thing, kind of hard to pin down. Very atmospheric and melodic. I think they share quite a bit with Leprous in their sense of melody and melancholy, so in a way they were a good opener. Didn't care that much about them based on what I listened before the show, but they were really good. The vocalist has a really lovely voice.

Monuments, well... I like metalcore, but I'm very picky about it, and tend to like older stuff. Monuments was good, but I don't know... it felt to me that most songs had the same drum groove and about the same tempo, they could have mixed it up more. Also they have recently changed vocalists and I think I like the previous guy better. The new singer has excellent growls and screams, but his clean vocals are bit too 'pretty' for my liking. I might like some of their older stuff, so I'm not writing them out completely.

Leprous was very good, probably not quite as good as when I saw them the last time, but that's mostly down to the setlist. The setlist had some surprises definitely, but the older songs were pretty much what you'd expect. However, the setlist had an excellent flow, having darker and slower songs towards the beginning, then moving to more uptempo and uplifting (if you can call Leprous that, lol) with From the Flame and Alleviate, and then going darker and heavier towards the end with Slave (always a pleasure, they close the set last time I saw them with it and it was incredible) and Below, which while still being one of my least favourite songs of theirs, was better live. The main set closed with Nighttime Disguise, which was a great choice, because it's very energetic and varied song. But the encore was probably the best part of the show. THE SKY IS RED. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER OF A SONG. Especially the long crescendo in the end, it's just gargantuan. So yeah, both times the last two songs were probably the best part, last time it was Forced Entry and Slave.

One interesting thing about the set was that the audience could decide one of the songs. Einar gave us four songs to decide from and the winner was decided by the show of hands. The songs were Third Law, Illuminate, Observe the Train and Acquired Taste. AT is one of my favourite songs from Bilateral so I naturally went for that one and a lot of people agreed. Einar actually ordered new count of votes because the 'old' fans were screaming so loud and throwing two hands up.  :lol However, Illuminate was declared the winner.

Biggest bummer was not having any songs from Bilateral in the setlist. I recently called Bilateral my favourite progressive metal album of all time. The first six songs are basically flawless. Painful Detour is bit weak album closer, however. Oh, and nothing from Tall Poppy Syndrome either, but that was not surprising.  :lol

Full setlist:

Have You Ever?
The Price
I Lose Hope
The Cloak
On Hold
Castaway Angels
From the Flame
Alleviate
Illuminate
Out of Here
Slave
Below
Nighttime Disguise
--------------------------
The Sky Is Red

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: September 14, 2023, 08:57:09 AM »
Nighttime Disguise Drum Playthrough
https://lotsofmuzik.com/leprous-launch-nighttime-disguise-drum-playthrough-video/

Gosh, how I love Baard drumming style  :metal :hefdaddy

Mid part video is VERY funny

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #987 on: January 11, 2024, 02:53:59 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C17gpnyLWVW/?igsh=MXh2eHg5ZmF3eWJnOA%3D%3D

Apparently drums are finished on the new album, and it appears they will be returning to a heavier sound. I gotta say I'm pretty happy about that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: January 11, 2024, 08:51:40 AM »
Sounds good to me. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #989 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:15 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C17gpnyLWVW/?igsh=MXh2eHg5ZmF3eWJnOA%3D%3D

Apparently drums are finished on the new album, and it appears they will be returning to a heavier sound. I gotta say I'm pretty happy about that.

Would make me happy too. Another album in the Pitfalls and Aphelion style is not what I'm waiting for. Sounds interesting but Baard can look & sound pretty heavy and intense on those Pitfalls songs as well. Einar was pretty vocal about being done with metal so let's wait for the first songs to see what they bring to the table.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #990 on: January 11, 2024, 04:23:01 PM »
I don't think I care too much about how heavy it is.  I love their old stuff and their new stuff so as long as it's still good, I'll be happy.  I'm sure they could go in a direction I don't like, but they haven't so far.  I thought I might not care for Einar's solo album but it's incredible.  Really looking forward to the new album.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #991 on: January 11, 2024, 05:10:24 PM »
I don't think I care too much about how heavy it is.  I love their old stuff and their new stuff so as long as it's still good, I'll be happy.  I'm sure they could go in a direction I don't like, but they haven't so far.  I thought I might not care for Einar's solo album but it's incredible.  Really looking forward to the new album.

I personally don't care if it's heavy as such, and just want good music too. For me though, with each album that has gotten lighter, I've found myself less interested. That includes Einar's solo album which I am not much of a fan of, outside of like 2 songs.

So yea, it's not that I desire heavier music from them as necessarily,  it's just that their heavier stuff generally strikes more of a chord with me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: March 04, 2024, 03:38:40 PM »
Do you want to be a part of the next Leprous album? We’re making a small fan choir in one of the songs! Send us a DM with a video of you singing something. Just a recording on the phone, nothing fancy. We’ll choose a handful of people, and then you can record at home or somewhere else where you have a condenser microphone at your disposal. No introduction needed, just send a video. Of those we choose, we’ll pick a winner who will get 3 free hour long vocal lessons with @einar_solberg ! Deadline to send the video is in 48 hours.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #993 on: March 05, 2024, 09:36:07 AM »
I got into them with the heavier stuff (Forced Entry is sick!!) but Leprous is one of those rare examples of bands that succesfully go poppier/snappier/softer. Pitfalls and Aphelion are my favorites by them for sure. They’re only getting better.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: April 09, 2024, 11:13:09 AM »
LEPROUS just announced the coming of their new, 8th studio album entitled “Melodies Of Atonement” to be released in August via InsideOutMusic worldwide.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #995 on: April 10, 2024, 08:36:46 AM »
Cool. Looking foward to this. I like heavy I guess, so going in that direction is fine by me, although I saw they mentioned that they're moving away from the orchestral elements, which I also like about their music. We'll see how it goes.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #996 on: April 10, 2024, 09:50:19 AM »
Curious to hear…

For me, it’s not so much heavy vs. not heavy…as much as I enjoyed their recent output too, I’m hoping they move away from the over-reliance on Einar’s oooohs and aaaahs ;) I just think they need to shake things up a little. I wouldn’t mind if they unleashed Baard, though!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #997 on: April 10, 2024, 10:39:24 AM »
I wouldn’t mind if they unleashed Baard, though!

This is how I feel mate. It's not that I just want heavy Leprous, it's just that heavy Leprous usually brings out my favourite side of Baard's playing.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #998 on: April 10, 2024, 01:21:34 PM »
This is how I feel mate. It's not that I just want heavy Leprous, it's just that heavy Leprous usually brings out my favourite side of Baard's playing.

+1

They might unleash Robin as well. That guy has some seriously tasty guitarleads.

The last albums were a bit too much centred around Einar's voice for me. Now that he also released his solo album I hope Leprous moves towards new directions.
Curious where they go from here. Over the last few years they are a must see when they tour but not a band whose albums I spin a lot.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #999 on: April 11, 2024, 04:33:37 AM »
The Sky Is Red is such a good live song, particularly the ending. One of the coolest live tracks I’ve seen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: April 11, 2024, 08:56:24 AM »
The Sky Is Red is such a good live song, particularly the ending. One of the coolest live tracks I’ve seen.

Definitely one of, if not the best, song they've released recently.

And yeah, I'm interested in the shift of direction because they've gone too narrow minded with their sound on the last couple albums.  While I welcome a "heavy" approach, I just think they generally need more diversity in their sound and style, but I'll wait and see what comes.  I'll be seeing them at ProgPower in Atlanta, but doubt I'll catch the follow up show in NYC.