Author Topic: It was 70 years ago today  (Read 898 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It was 70 years ago today
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
On the 21st day of June, 1948, in New York City, Columbia Records launched a new vinyl disk that played at thirty-three and one third RPM.

The "LP" (Long-Playing record) soon became the industry standard for recorded music.  Despite the popularity of the "CD" (Compact Disc) and its eventual rise to become the new standard format, vinyl LPs are still manufactured today and have seen a rise in popularity in recent years.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: It was 70 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
That's actually a really interesting piece of info.

I'm too young, so I wasn't around during the original vinyls era (we had cassettes though). My grandmother actually had a vinyl player, but threw it away at some point when vinyls went out of style. I'd love to get one and start getting vinyls as they're quite available these days, but I already have a good collection of CDs and collecting both is a bit out of a price range for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
I don't know; I grew up in the age of vinyl.  Maybe it's me, but after carrying a record on the bus to school, then coming home and finding it warped like a taco shell, or getting to the third song and hearing it skip, or playing it like I did "Dynasty" by Kiss to the point that "Save Your Love" sounded like that little snippet before the song on REM's "Superman"...  I'm quite all right with the transition to CD technology. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
And I thought Orbert was talking about Sgt. Pepper for a second.....

(btw...I do know that of the hundreds of LPs I sold at our recent garage sale, that a few sounded like the beginning of REM's 'Superman' at various points.  Ceramic cartridges.  Too much love of the albums without recording them to tape.  Bad owner management and maintenance......)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
I had about 150 vinyls in my collection when I slowly made the transition to cd. The handling is just so much more comfortable, I don't miss vi yls. Like Stadler said, I wore some records literally thin. They all got scratches along the way and the needle started to skip. Don't need that anymore.

The bigger artwork was nice, but then the cheaper records had just white sleeves, no lyrics, no information, that sucked big time.

A lot of people claim that vinyls have a better, warmer sound, that may be so, but I don't heat it.

Vinyl was nice, but it has run its course imo. Nowadays it's for collectors and nostalgia reason, but it's far from being a mass medium.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
Happy Birthday Orbert!!

Wait what? That’s not what this thread is about??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Happy Birthday Orbert!!

Wait what? That’s not what this thread is about??

:rollin :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
 :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
I was actually thinking it was about this:

But, maybe that's just what Orbert's response to TAC will be.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
 :lol

Love that gif.

Jeesh, you mess with one old dude, you mess with the entire shuffleboard team.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »
You guys are all silly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
Nice little fun fact that I was not aware of.  Thanks for posting that, Orbert! :tup :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
Cool fun fact.

I don't know; I grew up in the age of vinyl.  Maybe it's me, but after carrying a record on the bus to school, then coming home and finding it warped like a taco shell, or getting to the third song and hearing it skip, or playing it like I did "Dynasty" by Kiss to the point that "Save Your Love" sounded like that little snippet before the song on REM's "Superman"...  I'm quite all right with the transition to CD technology.

I threw away the last of my vinyl in 1997 or 98 and haven't looked back and find the recent resurgence of the medium to be utterly incomprehensible.

What's kinda funny is that I can still remember where some of my vinyl had skips ("Black, the door was...was locked" in Queensryche's "Roads to Madness" had a skip right where Geoff sings "was" twice, so it wasn't initially noticeable.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
Vinyl is definitely an indulgence for me and I really enjoy it, but most of time I' listen to CDs.