Poll

Pick One!

Haken's 5th Studio Album
Dream Theater's 14th Studio Album

Author Topic: Whose next album are you more excited for - Haken OR Dream Theater?  (Read 3482 times)

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Haken. DT haven't done much that I like in a while, unfortunately.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
While I am hopeful that I will like the next DT more than the last, and while I like what I've seen of their process so far and it gives me hope, I'm easily more excited for Haken coming off what they've done with The Mountain and Affinity. And you haven't missed any info yet, but I have an interview coming out tomorrow that will be revising your timeframe. ;)

You have my attention... :lol

If their new album drops this calendar year, I'll be very surprised, but pleasantly so!

-Marc

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-raymond-hearne/ :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm guessing Ministro had the Spanish autocorrection on his phone

HAHAHA Yes I had the auto correction activated. And when I posted I didn’t even checked it.

Online mikeyd23

Love reading the polar opposite reactions in this thread.

Offline ozzy554

Haven't been able to get into Haken so DT wins by default
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

While I am hopeful that I will like the next DT more than the last, and while I like what I've seen of their process so far and it gives me hope, I'm easily more excited for Haken coming off what they've done with The Mountain and Affinity. And you haven't missed any info yet, but I have an interview coming out tomorrow that will be revising your timeframe. ;)

You have my attention... :lol

If their new album drops this calendar year, I'll be very surprised, but pleasantly so!

-Marc

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-raymond-hearne/ :D

:tup Can't believe it. but it'll be something to look forward to in the final months of the year!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
There needs to be a "both" option.

Yet more binary choices...

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Bo-

And no, there's no option for "both", or "neither" - just pick the one you're more excited for!

Fine. Dream Theater, though I'm also excited for Haken (and Tool if that happens). I just like DT more.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Technically, 'both' is an illogical answer to the question being asked.

Yeah, I'm being that guy:loser:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Architect. Best Haken song by far.

:|

It's one of my favorites right along with Earthrise and Pareidolia. While I like Celestial Elixir, I don't seem to get the boner everyone else does for it.

Offline krands85

I love Haken and all of their albums (and EP) are brilliant, but DT are my favourite band and I'll always look forward to their albums more than anyone elses.

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Technically, 'both' is an illogical answer to the question being asked.

Yeah, I'm being that guy:loser:
Indeed.

I like BOTH of them more!!!

???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
DT easily, they are just one of my favorite bands.  Haken I am definitely looking forward to, but just not as much.  Also, I didn't even know until today that Haken would have an album out before years end.  Maybe if we get more clips and things to get excited about, they could edge this closer (or maybe take over depending on impressions go) but I'd say this is still an easy DT decision for me.

Edit:  Haken's 1985 is the best

Offline jammindude

I would vote for both if I could. Dream Theater's my all time favorite....but Haken has the best first four album run that I have ever heard.

Can't wait to hear what's next for both bands.

This.

But recently, DT has been really good or great, while Haken has been off the chart AMAZING!! So I voted Haken.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Haken by a hair.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
DT easily, they are just one of my favorite bands.  Haken I am definitely looking forward to, but just not as much.  Also, I didn't even know until today that Haken would have an album out before years end.  Maybe if we get more clips and things to get excited about, they could edge this closer (or maybe take over depending on impressions go) but I'd say this is still an easy DT decision for me.

I think pretty much no one has known that before this, they're still in writing mode and their announcements were about the live release they're putting out. I haven't listened to the interview tbh, can't do it at work - so I may be very wrong there - but I'm pretty sure the whole album isn't even written yet, maybe they have some songs and ideas written. I guess as they do more studio work they'll post more updates - they were pretty good at it both during The Mountain and Affinity pre-release period.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Architect is really good, but cannot touch Celestial Elixir, Visions, Somebody, Pareidolia or 1985.

Oh, and DT is the answer to this.  As much as I like Haken, there is still a special kind of excitement when you know a new Dream Theater record is coming.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Haken, and it's not even close anymore.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
DT. Haken is overrated as fuck.

Boom.  I'll buy DT, first day (correction for me), I won't be buying any Haken.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Well, this poll is now irrelevant as Haken V is set to be here before THIS year is out.

Also...why are you denying me my right to say "both"?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, this poll is now irrelevant as Haken V is set to be here before THIS year is out.

Also...why are you denying me my right to say "both"?

Both are excellent points.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

No reason to shut the door before you've even heard a note. Hell, I might actually buy a BtBaM record this year, something I thought would never happen, but Automata II came out of nowhere and is amazing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Both but of late but I've enjoyed Haken's output more recently.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

No reason to shut the door before you've even heard a note. Hell, I might actually buy a BtBaM record this year, something I thought would never happen, but Automata II came out of nowhere and is amazing.

Certainly will listen to the Haken if the opportunity arises, but from what I've heard (including Shattered Fortress) I don't know that I will seek it out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Certainly will listen to the Haken if the opportunity arises, but from what I've heard (including Shattered Fortress) I don't know that I will seek it out.

don't make that mistake.  Try "The Mountain" first then "Affinity".  If you like those, then go to the earlier albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: Whose next album are you more excited for - Haken OR Dream Theater?
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
Very excited for both, but Haken only wins by a hair because they're track record has been amazing and it's coming a bit sooner.

Offline Fritzinger

don't make that mistake.  Try "The Mountain" first then "Affinity".  If you like those, then go to the earlier albums.

I'd actually recommend to start with their debut and just work through the albums chronologically  :huh: That way you can understand how their music evolved.

any rock can be made to roll

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'd actually recommend to start with their debut and just work through the albums chronologically  :huh: That way you can understand how their music evolved.

I'm a minority but I think Visions is fantastic.  I'd start there.  Although I was introduced with the song Earthrise and album Affinity.  I like both better than The Mountain.  But I think that's a minority opinion.