Author Topic: RIP Chef Anthony Bourdain  (Read 3516 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: RIP Chef Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »
I'll give mine. I was in Hawaii, and was travelling up the east coast of Oahu towards the pipeline, and we past this place that looked like a broken down shack, with a massive sign on top that said Waiahole Poi Factory. In front of the place was a table with four massive Samoan construction workers eating. If you want the goods, you go to where the manual laborers go, that's what I've learned from years of eating Mexican food. We stopped and had whatever the lady recommended. Now honestly, as a chef I looked into the "kitchen" and saw enough in thirty seconds to shut it down for health violations, but that only intrigued me more. Food was all the traditional stuff, kalua pig, lau lau, beef luau, lomi salmon. I think we hit the place three more times on that trip, and a number of times on the next one as well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
Disclaimer: I am not a foodie or a gourmet at all, and am generally as happy with a grilled cheese sandwich as I would be with a <insert something expensive and fancy here because I can't think of what a good example would be>.

I've been to Hawaii several times due to Mrs. Cool Chris having family there, and I must say, the food has never impressed me much. The family even crafted a full on luau for our honeymoon. I'm just not into the traditional foods lonestar mentions.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »
I'm way to fussy to attempt to eat something indigenous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
I've had good luck traveling.

In Paris in 2001, I had a sort of pasta primavera that was delicious.  I had a phenomenal venison meal in Munich back in '98. I had a wonderful dinner in a Toronto restaurant near the theater district about six months ago. 

But the best meal was in Istanbul, on the Asian side.  We went to this restaurant, and as you walked in there were easily 15 or 20 different kinds of fish on ice on the left side as you walked in.  We were looking and pointing, and laughing, and soon we were seated.   A man took our drink order, and other than the amazingly beautiful Turkish woman that delivered them, there wasn't a soul around our table for about a half hour, 45 minutes.   Then, in flurry of activity, a bunch of what we would call "sides" were delivered family style.  Other than the cucumbers in a sour cream/vinegar sauce (which was a dish my grandmother used to make when I was a kid) nothing stands out, but then the fish came.

All the fish we pointed at was delivered to our table in various preparations.    I can't tell you what we had, except for the coup d'grace.   A brass box with bolts on it - about three feet long and about ten inches square - came wheeled up to the table.  A waiter took a wrench, undid the bolts, taking the top off to expose a white "block" inside, which he proceeded to chip away with a knife and fork.  It was salt.   Underneath was a fish, I don't know what kind, other than it was the sweetest, moistest fish I've ever had.  UNBELIEVABLE.   I can't even guess the fish, since there are something like 400 fish in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea but it was a light, white fish, flaky, but again, moist and not scaly at all.   One of the best meals I ever had.

K Paul's - Paul Prudhomme's place - was outstanding too.  Had a steak with andouille sausage and fried oysters on top that was to beat the band.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
I dunno man... lonestar's bread pudding was the shiznit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
I dunno man... lonestar's bread pudding was the shiznit.

:RJ:

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
I had some sauerbraten at a riverside pub in Cologne Germany that was quite memorable.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
Lonestar, if the DTF crew walked in to your restaurant and said to the server, "have the chef make us his speciality", what would we get?  (Besides "shown the door")?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Lonestar, if the DTF crew walked in to your restaurant and said to the server, "have the chef make us his speciality", what would we get?  (Besides "shown the door")?
Probably some really strange looks since I'm in the banquet department now and have nothing to do with our restaurant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
So let’s have a DTF banquet! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
Sigh.....

:neverusethis:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »
Sigh.....

:neverusethis:

Okay, fine then.  Let's have a DTF bacchanalian orgy!  :metal

...figuratively speaking, of course.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
I read that today and thought of him as well.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
Fucking servers....glad she was shit canned on the spot. Chef should've been as well for even letting the ticket exist like that without shit canning the server himself, if one of my servers did that, the union wouldn't be saving their jobs.

Fucking amateurs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »
Fucking servers....glad she was shit canned on the spot. Chef should've been as well for even letting the ticket exist like that without shit canning the server himself, if one of my servers did that, the union wouldn't be saving their jobs.

Fucking amateurs.

I have zero doubt that there wasn't any DNA in that burger - strikes me as a lazy/bitchy server - but the optics...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »

Fucking amateurs.

I have zero doubt that there wasn't any DNA in that burger - strikes me as a lazy/bitchy server - but the optics...

Oh yeah, it just feeds the myth. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure it has happened, I've just never seen it. And in this specific scenario, it falls on the whole restaurant. Many, many people read that ticket. All of them had a chance to do the right thing, but in the end being funny and/or shitty towards the customer took precedence. It just dictates the whole restaurant's attitude towards the customer in general, completely opposite of the most basic purpose of our job.