Poll

Soccer vs American Football?

Soccer (Association football)
29 (52.7%)
American Football
26 (47.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Soccer vs American Football?  (Read 5073 times)

Offline WildRanger

Soccer vs American Football?
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
Plain and simple: which sport do you consider better and why?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Soccer vs American Football?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
College football > pro soccer > NFL football

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
I'm not sure I compare them that way.  I played soccer up into college, but I love American football as a spectator sport... they're different.

Watching:  NFL Football / Soccer //////////////////////////////////////// College Football (I really dislike college football, except for my alma mater and that's just professional interest)

Following:  NFL Football.    I'm not sure I could name more than five players in soccer, and probably at least one of them is retired (Shep Messing is retired, right?) and one of them only because I think she's hot (Hope Solo). 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
I respect the athleticism and popularity of soccer, but I just can’t get into it. American football on the other hand is my favorite sport.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
I don't think that one sport is particularly better than the other, but I prefer American football.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
Would I be wrong in saying that those who voted for American football are in fact americans?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Would I be wrong in saying that those who voted for American football are in fact americans?
Was about too post a similar question.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
I remember being super disappointed when I learned that it's an entirely separate team in American football depending on whether they're in the offensive or defensive mode. Gotta say, I think it would make for a more interesting game if they were forced to be the same set of people. You know, make those morbidly obese guys run as well.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
I remember being super disappointed when I learned that it's an entirely separate team in American football depending on whether they're in the offensive or defensive mode. Gotta say, I think it would make for a more interesting game if they were forced to be the same set of people. You know, make those morbidly obese guys run as well.

I'd like to see more goals so it's a wash. :lol

I actually know there is so much to football.  I actually enjoy it a lot though American football I love. 

Win/Win for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »
I could never get into soccer, I even tried to watch indoor soccer, just doesn't hold my interest.  I think I just like sports that use the hands more.  Plus a football uniform is badass, like battle armor.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
Soccer by far. American football is just advertisements.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 12:13:45 AM »
Both. Both are completely different and both are thoroughly enjoyable in their own right without need for comparison.

You might as well have included Aussie Rules as well.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
Real football. I find the million pauses in American football too distracting. I just loose interest at some point.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 07:10:13 AM »
Both. Both are completely different and both are thoroughly enjoyable in their own right without need for comparison.

You might as well have included Aussie Rules as well.

If that was included, it would be #1 for me. Any sport where a ref makes shooting gun fingers is a winner in my book.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 07:44:39 AM »
I'll say football, only really because its a sport I can play. Asthma is pretty lame, so I always had trouble playing soccer. But football on the other hand, I could handled because it was start and stop and I could catch my breathe, and I loved playing defense.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
When there's 30 seconds left on the clock in American football, and one team is two scores behind, you wouldn't put it past them to win from that position.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
I can't interpret this question as anything other than what do I like better, and it's not even close.  I don't have enough ">" charcters to indicate how much football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> futbol/soccer.

Why?

Soccer's off side rule.
In soccer, you never know how much time is left.
In soccer, 0-0 is a common final score.
Diving.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Soccer by far. American football is just advertisements.

Mmm hmmm...

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
American Football (College > NFL) then Soccer.  And yes I am an American  :lol  I'd be fascinated if we saw non-americans voting for American football. 

Why?

Soccer's off side rule.
In soccer, you never know how much time is left.
In soccer, 0-0 is a common final score.
Diving.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I don't mind the off side rule, makes sense IMO and hockey has it for the same reason.  But the other points are so true.  I love how they have a clock that doesn't stop and you get a good long time to watch without stoppage, but the stoppage time at the end always feels strange and a very unsure feeling of when the game is supposed to end.  I don't like it at all, plus then you get free kicks which is just a ridiculous way to end a soccer match.  Diving also ruins the NBA a bit so I am with you there, no one likes watching superior athletes crying because they stubbed their toe.  The game has enough legit hits in it that are delegitimized by all the cry babies.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
There is diving/embellishment in every sport.  There seems to be less diving in this World Cup so far, which could be because Italy isn't in it. :lol   

I am sure I will be on an island with this one, but I loved the MISL the most when it comes to soccer.  I grew up watching and going to tons of indoor soccer games, so I will always have some love for it. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »
I am sure I will be on an island with this one, but I loved the MISL the most when it comes to soccer.  I grew up watching and going to tons of indoor soccer games, so I will always have some love for it. 

Damn, now that is a blast from the past! I went to a few MISL games when I was a kid. Lots of fun as I recall.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »

Yes, you would be wrong...

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
Even though I'm not a huge fan, I voted for American football.

I really can't stand soccer.

- The fans are beyond obnoxious
- The players act like wimps and take too many falls
- I'm convinced the "game within a game" thing doesn't actually exist and it's just really boring and uneventful gameplay
- In the event of a tie, the games basically boils down to Russian Roulette.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:14:21 AM by Chino »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
Sigh, the biennual "lol, all soccer players are sissies and only dive". How imaginative. The fact that they are entirely unprotected and nonetheless keep playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders or blatant consussions doesn't matter.

When you see soccer being played at the top level it is sublime what those people can do. It is the "beautiful game" as Pele put it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Australian Rules Football would all call us a bunch of pussies.  That is one crazy sport.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
Playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders, or especially concussions is just stupid, regardless of the sport.

Thinking about the things people have said they don't like about soccer, some of them are not inherent to the game itself, but aspects of the current game, such as diving, obnoxious fans (Raiders fans LOLed at this), corrupt governing bodies... 

When you see soccer being played at the top level it is sublime what those people can do. It is the "beautiful game" as Pele put it.

Indeed, but for many, especially those who have never played it, it can be equally uninteresting to watch.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »
Sigh, the biennual "lol, all soccer players are sissies and only dive". How imaginative. The fact that they are entirely unprotected and nonetheless keep playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders or blatant consussions doesn't matter

Cute.

I'm sorry, but soccer is easily the sissiest sport there is (assuming you aren't counting games like golf, darts, and bowling). And the injuries you listed are not unique to soccer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:13:34 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Sigh, the biennual "lol, all soccer players are sissies and only dive". How imaginative. The fact that they are entirely unprotected and nonetheless keep playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders or blatant consussions doesn't matter.

So?  Doesn't mean there is a huge diving problem with soccer.  All other sports people play injured as well.  It has nothing to do with that.  In fact, the diving takes away from everything you just said because it creates a perception of sissiness.  The NBA isn't far behind with this problem, but none of the other sports are as bad as those two with diving.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
I just drop this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqge3m_QuHY

*Runs away from thread*
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
:lol

Playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders, or especially concussions is just stupid, regardless of the sport.

"Players are sissies!"

"Actually, they will often play through pain to continue the game"

"That's just stupid."

My advice: Don't watch it if you don't like it. But don't begrudge others who enjoy extreme athletes running 10ks each game and still manage to dance with the ball on the pitch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:39:28 AM by rumborak »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »

Swede here who easily voted for american football. I find soccer to be one of the most dull sports out there.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
I watched the superbowl once and it managed to be less interesting than Cricket. So I think that soccer wins by default.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
The first half of the video was good. Predictable, but good. Not sure WTF he was talking about at the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »
:lol

"Players are sissies!"

"Actually, they will often play through pain to continue the game"

"That's just stupid."

My advice: Don't watch it if you don't like it. But don't begrudge others who enjoy extreme athletes running 10ks each game and still manage to dance with the ball on the pitch.
I watched Donovan McNabbb throw five touchdown passes on a broken ankle. Won me my fantasy game that week.

In any case, your last sentence is a good way of putting it. There is tremendous athleticism involved to do what soccer players do. At the same time there's a reason why nobody watches 4½ hours of a marathon. It's boring. You tune in every hour or so to see who's doing what, and then you come back for the conclusion. I have no desire to watch one of 20 different guys run around and dance with the ball for 3 hours. The remarkable part of a soccer game is a great save, and those don't happen all that often.

Whereas with a football game every single play has the potential to be a thing of beauty or a utter train wreck. There's appeal in both, and they can happen from either side of the ball. There's beauty in seeing LT throw Jim Everett's punk ass to the ground with one hand. Or Michael Irvin running to a spot where the ball will just be hanging in the air waiting for him. Or somebody tip-toeing down the sidelines jumping over people to make a crucial first down. Even from the coaching side. A fake punt or a ballsy 4th and 8.

How often to do you see something like this in soccer?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
Fun Fact: I know a photographer that's on the NY Giant's payroll during the season. He got a killer sequence shot of that guy making that catch. He put four of photos in chronological order in a frame and sold it to the guy for $10K. In the off season he gets press passes everywhere. I've watched a game at Fenway from the press box with him.