Author Topic: Stupid songs stuck in your head when you wake up.  (Read 1169 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Stupid songs stuck in your head when you wake up.
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
Okay, this has been happening to me for years, but recently it's become a bit disturbing. I don't know if it's a sign of early senility or if it's more common than I suppose. So I ask you, do you wake up in the morning with obscure or songs you haven't heard of, thought of, for decades running over and over in your head? If so, please  share here. It's therapeutic.

Today it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZCHJd0JjpU
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Stupid songs stuck in your head when you wake up.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:27:05 AM »
Every day, multiple times a day, with different songs every time. Could be songs I heard the day before, can be songs I haven't heard in years (literally). It's usually a short part of a song, but I can always recall what song it's from by 'playing it further' in my head. Might have something to do with good musical memory, but it can be very annoying as well. Playing the track doesn't always work for me. though sometimes learning it on an instrument does. I have no idea how this kind of stuff works, but since I basically hear different music all day long (I'm a music teacher with only one hobby: listening to music and playing music), I'm usually not too bothered by it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
Yeah, the last 2 days I've had a really small passage of Machine Gun by Noisia in my head where the time signature changes. I love that song but it's playing in my head continuously and I can't fucking stop it :lol it's also like Rich a very small passage that keeps repeating itself

I try to get it out by listening to music (I do this basically all the time when I'm not doing something that can't be combined with listening to music) but anytime I'm not listening, this stuff will return.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 06:55:17 AM »
That classic song "This Should Be In GMG"...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
That classic song "This Should Be In GMG"...

I don't know that one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »
A couple weeks ago it was Africa by Toto. Every day for a week I would wake up and that song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
Last two days:  this song that I think is Train.  "Sometimes I feel like I'm the only cab on the road."   I like the melody.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
My mental juke box has almost always got something going. And like Elite, it can be anything at any time. Usually just a few lines or especially the chorus of a song, but it could also be a stupid commercial jingle, or the Animaniscs theme. Whatever my warped brain decides to throw at me. A good portion of the time the past few years, there’s quite a bit of Christian music that gets stuck in my head and put on repeat. Maybe it’s because of the usual trite GDEmC or FCAmG progressions that the genre is so rife with. Or maybe God is trying to batter a point home. I dunno.

Right now it’s Blanca’s “Greater Is He” for the past week or so.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:28 AM »
My mental juke box has almost always got something going. And like Elite, it can be anything at any time. Usually just a few lines or especially the chorus of a song, but it could also be a stupid commercial jingle, or the Animaniscs theme. Whatever my warped brain decides to throw at me. A good portion of the time the past few years, there’s quite a bit of Christian music that gets stuck in my head and put on repeat. Maybe it’s because of the usual trite GDEmC or FCAmG progressions that the genre is so rife with. Or maybe God is trying to batter a point home. I dunno.

Right now it’s Blanca’s “Greater Is He” for the past week or so.

And I thought Go You Chicken Fat, Go was bad. You have my sympathies.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »
My mental juke box has almost always got something going. And like Elite, it can be anything at any time.

Same goes for me.  Fortunately, I can turn the station whenever I want cause it's all in my head.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Okay, so I probably should get this checked out--but since 1978, and I'm being totally serious here, on average I probably think of the first two lines of "Roxanne" 5 days a week. Not kidding. I don't know what it is about that song.

"Roxxxxaaaanne! You don't have to put on the red light,
those days are over, you don't have to sell your body to the night"

I know there is such a thing as ''musical psychosis", where people have musical halucinations where they hear symphonies or have an earworm of an endless loop of a particular song in their heads 24/7 for sometimes decades. This isn't like that.

It's just that I think of, or sing that one little lyric nearly everyday.

Since, 1978.

Most of the time, it's early in the morning. And, usually I'm in a pretty good mood. But usually, I'll sing it out loud. I did it this morning. My family has even joked about it for years.

But, since 1978.

Holy shit!

It's not a distraction really. Just something I do.

Now, here is something I've not ever shared here:

I wonder if it has any thing to do with the fact that I have a mild case of Tourettes? When I was five, I had pneumonia and nearly died. I was in a coma for about a week. I developed a fever that shot up to 105.6, and I had a Petit Mal Seizure as a result. This led to childhood epilepsy. From that time until I was about 12, I had three more seizures and had to take anti-seizure medication. I eventually outgrew it, thankfully.

Right after the first seizure at age 5, I started this really bad nervous tic where I would clear my throat constantly. My throat would get raw I did it so much. The docs at the time thought it was a side effect of the meds. So, I went through a slew of meds to no avail. My mom made the connection that it happened when I was really tired, excited, or nervous. Over time, friends started noticing and started picking on me for it. So, I stopped doing that, but the tics manifested in this thing that resembled finger drumming instead. But over time they noticed that too.

For most people with Tourettes when they have a tic, they're usually not aware of it. It's like breathing in a way. It's not something you can control. I'm INCREDIBLY lucky. Mine is a very mild case. I was diagnosed officially when I was 17. But over time, I have learned to mask the tic. When I have a tic, I'm not aware of it really, UNLESS someone points it out to me. If someone brings it to my attention, I can stop it immediately. But over time what developed was that when I get really excited, stressed, or tired, I subconsciously count my teeth with my tongue. First the top, then the bottom. Over and over and over again. I think this was my subconcious way of not being singled out socially. I still occassionally make this throat clearing, almost wheezing sound sometimes when I'm super tired, or really involved in something exciting, or stressful. People ask me often, "Do you have a cold?" Or, "Do you have asthma?" rather than explain, I just say, "No". And I usually get a strange look. :lol I occassionally make this sort of clicking sound in the back of my throat too. In a sort of rhythmic pattern. Sometimes, I'll be in my study writing, and my wife will pop in and ask me if I'm okay. I'm always surprised by the comment, and then she'll tell me that, "You were really clearing your throat, I was just checking on you. Are you stressed?" And I can explain what I was dealing with at the time. It's always something about the writing.  :lol

Because I know that many of the people, and especially kids who have Tourettes are mercilessy picked on, it is one of my favorite charities, for obviously very personal reasons. I have volunteered my time with kids with the syndrome in the hopes that they can understand that they can have normal and productive lives as well, and to know they're not alone.

But, I'm slightly convinced my "Roxanne' earworm has something to do with my mild condition.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:59:35 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 06:01:43 AM »
Okay, so this morning it was Sandman by America. Fortunately it wasn't just a snippet of the chorus rolling around. I got the verses and everything. Not too unpleasant, really.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:28 AM »
This morning it was Bobby brown, Til the end of time