Author Topic: A DT 14 Album Title Scenario  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
A DT 14 Album Title Scenario
« on: June 16, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »
Imagine this scenario:

The band unveils the name of their upcoming album.

The name includes a word/phrase such as Finale, Epilogue, End, Final Chapter, Curtain Call etc.

How would you feel?

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: A DT 14 Album Title Scenario
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:11:13 AM »
Well, it's got to happen at some point, and it's probably going to happen sooner rather than later.

(The band ending, not having an album title with those words in it.)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:28:47 AM »
How would I feel? Well, like killing myself! DT have been with me for 25 years now.
Kidding aside, I'd be very sad but as said in the post above mine, it's bound to happen some day.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:01:23 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 01:56:54 AM »
I thought James mentioned that they're gonna keep doing this for at least ten years - and I think that was not that long ago.

And yes, I'd be devastated.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:13:20 AM »
I wouldn't mind.

Maiden released an album called The Final frontier, and then carried out for ten more years.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:15:15 AM »
Maiden released an album called The Final frontier, and then carried out for ten more years.

Came in to post this.

I won't be worried by a title unless DT confirm it's the last.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:24:14 AM »
Assuming they are still spying us, I think they will actually put in the album title one of those words just to troll us..  ;D ;D ;D

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:42 AM »
Calling it now, last album title, "Dance of Eternity". 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:05:16 AM »

Did you just confirm Metropolis Pt. 3?  :omg:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 06:12:25 AM »

Or maybe wishful thinking because "there must be a 3rd and last dance and this one will last forever"!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »

Or maybe wishful thinking because "there must be a 3rd and last dance and this one will last forever"!
Maybe 6DOIT is the dance of eternity
because it's very long
sorry

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »

Bull of Heaven collab confirmed

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Dance of Eternity would make a kickass album title.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
I'm not worried. I would bet DT will be around for another 10-15 years.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
It would actually be a decent marketing ploy if they did that.

But I wouldn't be worried. It's customary these days for bands to go through around 7 'retirements' before finally pulling down the curtain, so even if they called the album 'Dream Theater Is Now Dead' I wouldn't take it seriously. There'd be a 'Part 2: Scenes From A Memorial' a couple of years later. 

Also, I get no impression the band has any intention of calling it a day. I think (hope) that if we and they are lucky we might get anything up to 4 or 5 more albums out of them yet.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
Indeed, they just signed a record deal with Inside Out for more than just one album. We’ll still have DT for plenty of time :metal

I expect a couple lineup changes before they retire, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 03:05:08 AM »
Indeed, they just signed a record deal with Inside Out for more than just one album. We’ll still have DT for plenty of time :metal

How many albums/options did they say they signed for? Pretty curious
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 06:11:11 AM »

How many albums/options did they say they signed for? Pretty curious

No idea, but they said “long term deal” or something like that. I guess it’s for 2-3 albums at least.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 07:47:26 AM »
It would've been great if they named their last album "The End", using word "the" for the first (and the last) time ever in an album title. Unfortunately, they made "The Astonishing".
Since DT's known to spy these forums, I still have a conspiracy theory that they used "The" in the last album title just because of the thread discussing why they had no "the" in album titles :'D
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
I should clarify by saying whatever they'll release, I'll buy it. I'll just be hesitant on live shows if it's a super heavy album because that will give me an idea of what their live show will probably be like. Any DT is welcome to my ears.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
Of course I don't have "proof" - and I'll completely admit that I was exaggerating a bit and trying to be funny with the "no one except you" part.  :P  In general however, I doubt that's what most want and even if they did, it's not what the band wants.  I have 0 issues with James' vocals on any DT album, including SC which is one of my least favorites.  What I do have a problem with are MP's vocals on those albums, but luckily for me I suppose that won't be an issue.  I would prefer them not to write melodies like some of the verses on The Dark Eternal Night, but even then; I enjoyed that song a lot on the last tour (and like it better the way they did it, without MP's voice).  So on that angle I probably sort of agree, but otherwise no.  I'm looking forward to whatever they feel passionate about delivering.  If it's something like The Astonishing, one of my favorite DT albums, then I'm all for it; they *were* passionate about it and to me it shows.  Now JP seems really excited about doing something heavy, and if that's what he's excited about, that's what I want to hear and I want it with James' voice.  I couldn't disagree more about younger bands doing prog metal better either.  There are younger bands I like an awful lot, but still wouldn't take them over DT.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
I want an album just for me, the way I want it, because only my opinions matter.  :biggrin:  :lol

Nah, I'm excited regardless. I am honestly hoping for a lot of shorter tunes though, a DT album that is proggy but to the point with 3-4 minute songs would be so cool. Like TA, but without the theme and story etc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
What I do have a problem with are MP's vocals on those albums, but luckily for me I suppose that won't be an issue.

Probably not, no.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Nah, I'm excited regardless. I am honestly hoping for a lot of shorter tunes though, a DT album that is proggy but to the point with 3-4 minute songs would be so cool. Like TA, but without the theme and story etc.

Considering DT12 and, even more, TA have mostly shorter songs (with the exception of IT), I actually expect them to have longer songs this time.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 03:34:50 AM »
Metropolis part 3 : It's just a flesh wound !

Dance of eternity or something alike would be cool, since they look joyful and that "a cool turn of events" would be cheesy.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
Perhaps not the thread for this kind of comment, but re: the above exchange between Lethean and Katteolox - I'd absolutely love an album of slower, atmospheric numbers in the vein of Beneath The Surface, and I'm hoping that as they get older, this is the side of the band they'll explore more. An album of tracks like Speak To Me, Eve, Disappear, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Anna Lee, Misunderstood, The Answer Lies Within and Octavarium would be ideal for me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:47:08 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Not sure if you've heard it, but you should check out The Astonishing. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
Heard it and love it, but there's nothing on it that approaches the atmospheric 'grandeur' and majesty of, say, Misunderstood or Octavarium. IMO, natch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:47:41 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
Yeah, j/k.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Perhaps not the thread for this kind of comment, but re: the above exchange between Lethean and Katteolox - I'd absolutely love an album of slower, atmospheric numbers in the vein of Beneath The Surface, and I'm hoping that as they get older, this is the side of the band they'll explore more. An album of tracks like Speak To Me, Eve, Disappear, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Anna Lee, Misunderstood, The Answer Lies Within and Octavarium would be ideal for me.

I wouldn't be opposed to something like that either - especially with an Octavarium or Misunderstood in there to bring it up just a little bit.  I also wouldn't mind an acoustic album from them one of these days; it wouldn't even have to be new material (though it could be), but just reworked versions of existing songs, ala Threshold's Wireless album.  I think DT would do a great job with that sort of thing, and I believe James mentioned something like that as a possibility (not sure if solo or with DT) after 10 more years of regular DT activities.  Maybe a release (or two) down the road, since they definitely seem into the heavy stuff at the moment.   Though if they do the acoustic thing it might be more palatable to a portion of the fanbase if they presented it as a bonus type release rather than "the next Dream Theater album."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 01:33:16 AM »
Where do I have to sing and how many squirrels do I have to sacrifice to the Dark Master to have a bonus disc for the special edition of DT14 which is exactly that? (acoustic works, they could be, say, a mix of 6-7 songs: an original tune or two, a couple of DT songs rearranged and a cover)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Imagine this scenario:

The name includes a word/phrase such as Finale, Epilogue, End, Final Chapter, Curtain Call etc.

How would you feel?

Are you saying that the upcoming album is currently behind the veil?  :neverusethis:

I'm not sure how I'd feel.  All I know at this point is, I probably wouldn't feel much worse than I did when they announced TA and then later became completely underwhelmed by what I heard.  Then again, who knows?  We'll just have to wait and see, won't we? 

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:11 AM »
Imagine this scenario:

How would you feel?

Are you saying that the upcoming album is currently behind the veil?  :neverusethis:

I'm not sure how I'd feel.  All I know at this point is, I probably wouldn't feel much worse than I did when they announced TA and then later became completely underwhelmed by what I heard.  Then again, who knows?  We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Or imagine they call it  "The Astonishing, Part II : the final blow to Dublagent66".  :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Yeah right,  :lol  I'll be totally devastated because there's nothing better to listen to.

They will call DT14: "Dream Theater", as a way of differentiating themselves from The Astonishing  :loser:

In press articles JP and JR will say things, such as "This album is like a new beginning for us, we are breaking new ground and are re-establishing who we are as a band, we've really never done nothing like this before"

Then the album comes out, and it will sound like an even more dumber version of the last.

Wow!  An even more disappointed fan than me.  Amazing!  :lol  :clap:

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
Yeah right,  :lol  I'll be totally devastated because there's nothing better to listen to.

They will call DT14: "Dream Theater", as a way of differentiating themselves from The Astonishing  :loser:

In press articles JP and JR will say things, such as "This album is like a new beginning for us, we are breaking new ground and are re-establishing who we are as a band, we've really never done nothing like this before"

Then the album comes out, and it will sound like an even more dumber version of the last.

Wow!  An even more disappointed fan than me.  Astonishing:lol  :clap:

Didn't believe it was possible! :biggrin: (mycorrection)